“Wonderful Time!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wonderful Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was my first time in Negril, We went for my daughters college graduation,We purchased our 4 night stay through groupon, and I have to say from the moment we arrived it was pure enjoyment! the owner and his staff were very attentive to our needs and made our stay extremely enjoyable. The accomadations were moderate, food was fabulous and atmosphere was breathtaking! I will definitely return to this small piece of heaven again in the near future.
Much thanks to Winfield Wellington and his staff! We had a wonderful time. keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the renovations :)

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe room with the king bed and jacuzzi, worth the extra few dollars!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thanks for writing a review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to Negril for your daughters graduation. I'm glad our team was able to help make your vacation an enjoyable and memorable one. Thank you for the encouragement, we will continue to work hard at improving our product. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future! (hopefully most or all of the renovations will be complete by then)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is my 1st time posting a review...I was that pleased with our stay. I purchased the deal through Living Social and since it was my 1st time booking a vacation through LS/Groupon, I researched this hotel extensively! About 95% or more of the reviews were excellent, so we booked it! I'm glad that we did. From the moment that we checked in, the girl at the front desk was very nice. Yeah, the hotel is going through a renovation but I can't say anything bad about the room at all...it was an older room but it was very clean and I loved the fact that we had a balcony. There are tiny ants in the rooms, but again, it's a tropical island so flies, mosquitos and ants are expected.

The security at the hotel was amazing! Jones, one of the security guys was awesome!! He gave us great tips & made sure we were safe. We can tell that at TBR, the safety of their guests is the #1 priority. Of course, on the beach there are people trying to sell you everything and anything, but it's expected! A simple no, and they'll go away. The beach right outside the hotel is beautiful and it's quiet. It's not a huge beach area, but we didn't care because the hotel is right on the beach so it compensates!!

The lady's at the restaurant should smile a bit more, but once you start talking to them, they're pleasant. The owner came over while we were eating breakfast one morning and introduced himself. Very nice older gentleman. I also met one of his sons and he was very nice as well. Speaking to some of the staff, we found out that the owner does a lot for his community.

Overall, we would DEF come back to TBR! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annette O
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post your first review. I'm delighted that your first experience with a daily deal site and with our resort was a positive one. I'm also happy that we lived up to the expectations that you had after reading the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

The safety and comfort of our guests is indeed of the utmost importance to us and i'm glad that you felt safe while you were here. We have 24 hour security as well as 24 hour video surveillance, making us one of the safest properties on the beach.

Thanks again for your review and we do hope to see you back again in the future.
Windsor, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

After 4 years finally made it back to Negril for some R&R with the fiancee and to scout sites for a possible destination wedding in Negril next year. We saw a last minute groupon deal and decided to stay at Travellers for 5 nights. Pretty reasonable rates but you do have rent a safe and a fridge ($5 USD each per day)

The Pros

- Travellers is near the end of 7 mile beach and in walking distance to times square duty free plaza and downtown negril. It is also less than a10 minute drive to the cliffs area (a must visit if you are in Negril).

-We upgraded to one of the deluxe rooms which we found spacious with an AC and a fan. There was also a partial ocean view and a small porch (I believe it came with a safe but we had to pay for the fridge or vice versa).

- The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly when we interacted with them and the hotel driver (Kenneth) was reasonable with his rates the times we used him for transportation.

-Breakfast was included in the groupon deal and it was very good, especially the escovich fish and dumplings. We ate most of the other meals at other restaurants around Negril so I can't comment on their lunch or dinner options.

Cons

- Small beach area, not much space to hang out at all. Maybe smaller than most areas on 7 mile beach.

- Negril river is close by as another poster mentioned and maybe 2 or 3 days when we were there, the river flowed into the beach and turned it into a murky brown color. For this reason alone (proximity to Negril river) I would think twice about staying at Travellers again.

Room Tip: Try and get a deluxe room as they are fairly large. They are closer to the road but with the ac/fan...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andre S
Negril, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This resort is ideally situated on the most prestigious Negril 7 mile stretch of beach. Not too far from the town (within walking distance) and all other amenities.it is a warm and friendly family run hotel and not too large therefore giving off an atmosphere of the home from home feeling . Prices are very affordable and the restaurant offers cook to order meals.
Try it and you will be addicted.

Room Tip: Try the deluxe rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Travellers Beach Resort is a typical resort on the edge of the Negril River and facing the sea. The water is a splash of surreal green and cerulean blue, just like you would see in postcards and movies, except it's real. The hotel's floors, air, sheets, bathrooms, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, fan, lighting, balcony, TV, pool, gym, billards-table, table tennis, darts, bar and set-up are all standard-they're just like what I'd imagine you would experience at any other resort in Negril. But there's something different about it that merits my detailed review.

I'd like to share some of my thoughts on Negril as a first-time tourist. On my first day in the country, I was terrified. Every time I stepped out onto the beach past the resort, I was aggressively pursued by loiterers - they drew us in with stranger small talk and then pushed their goods and services on us. My advice to you: they're not harmful, but when you say "no," say it firmly and continue moving (unless, of course, you are interested in what they have to offer, in which case it's a potential win-win situation). Leaving the beach without someone who is local (and you trust) may not be the smartest idea either. Which leads me back to Travellers Beach Resort.

The hotel is owned by three brothers and a staff that became the closest thing to family I have in Jamaica. I believe that it's inherent in Jamaican culture to laugh warmly with strangers (which is a double-edged sword where stranger small-talk can transform into an aggressive sales-pitch, like on the beach and in town). However, if you open up a little, all the staff at Travellers Beach Resort will laugh with you and talk to you about their lives, Jamaica, their views on just about anything, etc. And in the end, they became my source of trust and safety. You might get ripped off or sketched out while visiting Jamaica (it's also my opinion that this can happen anywhere you travel), but at TBR you'll know that you can ask any of the staff for their advice and they'll give it to you. From getting a trustworthy taxi driver to getting your hair braided, just ask and they'll make sure you're safe and taken care of. You won't be bound to the beach (you really shouldn't be) and you can safely explore and see what more Jamaica has to offer (which is a lot, I'm saddened I did not stay longer to see and experience more).

The hotel occasionally has small ants (which resort doesn't with this weather?) and adorable kittens and cats outside who will listen to you as you sing (if you're afraid of cats, trust me, they're more afraid of you than you are of them). Bring good insect repellant because mosquitos will attack you at night (if they don't, there must be something wrong with your blood, in which case I would recommend that you get that checked out). The Negril River dumps into the sea late in the afternoon (this affects all the other resorts on the beach) but by morning the ocean will be that unbelievable green and blue again. Swim in the mornings and early afternoon if you do not want to swim in the river water, but if you don't mind then I suppose it really doesn't matter when you swim. The water is warm all day long, make the most of it.

For me, the shore you can jog on in the mornings (TBR is on seven-mile beach but I was told you can only jog five miles before you hit trees), the Caribbean you can swim in afterwards and the breeze you'll catch as you eat breakfast out on the deck looking out onto the water is worth traveling to Negril for, and if you do, I sincerely recommend Travellers Beach Resort.

On my last night at Travellers Beach Resort, there was open karaoke at the bar/deck (TBR hosts an event most evenings, like a bonfire on the beach, cocktail parties, karaoke, etc). My friend tried to goad one of the bartenders into singing for us by telling him that it was her birthday (it was not). During karaoke, they brought out two cakes (one for her and one for a woman whose birthday it really was) and sang the most elaborate version of "Happy Birthday" I had ever heard. The cakes looked home-made and carefully decorated, like the cakes I would bake for my loved ones back home. I could not have imagined a better way to leave TBR and Jamaica. I really hope others can have the same experience as me.

Just my point of view,
An-Hoa Giang
(Traveling with my best friend, Pamela - Negril, Jamaica - June 2013)

~~I would like to include some further (unbiased) traveling information for people who are traveling to Negril. There's a shuttle that goes from Montego Bay airport to Negril for $25/person. I believe that is the cheapest way to Negril from Mobay. It might be a good idea to carry cash on yourself, though credit cards are accepted at many establishments (of course, you'd have to pay with cash to peddlers). Carry your belongings close to yourself and be aware of your surroundings. Jamaicans also drive on the left side of the street, and they drive quickly (don't worry, they have car insurance). There's a patty-man who sells beef/chicken/veggie patties for $1 each; he makes his way down seven-mile beach at least once a day with his bike, patties, sunglasses and yellow/black-striped umbrella-hat (I would sketch a picture for you if I could, he looks like a character from a video game). Outside of the resort, there are people who offer to take you out on the waters in a jet-ski (I don't know how much the price-tag of this is, but I would imagine something around $40-$50 per person). Also, there are several boats on the shore that have a glass-bottom, which takes you out to a small island in the distance where you can do snorkeling and see the coral reefs (I did not do this, but I heard it's worth it), price tag $35/person. There's a salesman by the name of Joseph who walks on the beach and offers people the chance to go horseback riding (my friend and I negotiated the price down to $65 for two people - He started at $45/person). We did horseback-riding on the beach, though I heard it's highly encouraged to do it in the countryside by the hills. There are several licensed tour groups that will take you to different places in Jamaica (just go to the front-desk and they'll give you more information and non-negotiable price tags). There's a famous place called Rick's Cafe up on the cliffs where people go to get drinks and watch the sunset. I heard it's beautiful, though we elected to watch the sunset on the deck at TBR. A cab to Rick's should cost about $2-3 each way, no more. If you choose to go with a cab that's not associated with or recommended by the resort, please use only the cars with red license plates (those are legitimate cabs I've heard). In town, it's very crowded and overwhelming, though it's worth going into if you get tired of food at the resort (all of the food at TBR was excellent, though we learned they actually have food in the kitchen which is not on the menu - perhaps you can try asking for off-the-menu items once you're cool with the staff!). We went to Juicy-Patties for a taste of Jamaican beef patties (still not as good as American-made Jamaican beef patties) and Juicy-J's for oxtail and jerk pork (real jerk sauce is incredibly spicy). You can walk to town instead of taking a cab but I think you'd probably be more comfortable with a cab and cab-driver. Bring lots of suntan lotion and soap/shampoo, toothpaste and other toiletries just to be safe. TBR's high season is November through April and low-season is April through October. If you're looking to socialize with many, many guests then I suggest you go during high season, and if you're interested in just relaxing, low-season might be better since the traffic is not too bad (though there still are a lot of people during this time of year). And one final piece of advice: laugh freely, smile warmly and converse eagerly. It's Jamaica, mon.

Room Tip: I loved our room with a balcony, but being higher up is just my preference.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank An-HoaGiang
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was pleased with the staff and the service. I needed some extra things and allI did was ask. The property is very laid back and quiet so it's perfect for people who simply just want to relax. There is entertainment on certain nights like bonfires and karaoke. The bar and restaurant was decent. I did love and reccemmend the conch soup, the breakfast escovietch fish, and the dinner curry chicken! I did enjoy my peacful stay.

Room Tip: Garden side is mere steps away from the beach and much quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LolaSkye
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you want an affordable place where you can meet and engage in the ocean everyday with security quard in view and enjoy basically good , food, Travellers is a place that welcomes guests home. By being home, you can reguest what ever. On my last visit, I accompanied the founder to church and his middle son took me to enjoy pizza on my lasat night in Negril. Travellers is a place which could be where you place your bags and sleep every night but visit everywhere else.

Rev (Dr) Valerie Oliver Durrah

Room Tip: ask for the newly upgraded rm. I persoanlly like to see and talk to the ocean every morning so I req...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Neighborhood1