“You do NOT want to stay at Travellers Beach Resort - Trust me!!!”

Travellers Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Pittsburgh, PA
“You do NOT want to stay at Travellers Beach Resort - Trust me!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

I read the reviews on this site and found them to be favorable for this resort. That is the main reason we decided it would be a good choice. We had the best room in the entire hotel and our experience was horrible. This is a hotel - I would definitely not consider it a resort. I don't understand the good reviews - I really can't believe anyone would like staying there.

We reserved the deluxe room with superior kitchen. The superior kitchen included a hot plate and a mini fridge. The room was filthy and smelled of mildew. There was no way we could stay in that room. We upgraded to the one suite, room 60, for a ridiculous "discounted" price. Room 60 is nice. It has a separate kitchen, living room and bedroom with a king bed. It was clean - no bugs. We did not have warm or hot water for three days. We lost electricity one night due to an accident because the hotel doesn't have a generator. I woke up in the middle of the night to the air conditioning unit pouring water out onto the floor, all over my laptop cords. The doors and windows are old - you can hear every sound from outside. All night you will listen to constant horns honking, fighting, yelling, sirens, etc. There are no phones in the rooms. We were the only guests on the top second floor! We did not feel safe, two women staying there. My mother fell on a step up at the front desk and injured her knee badly. The only medicine they had was peroxide. They had to go get ice from the bar down by the ocean. The beach is not private and you can not relax for a minute because locals harass you continually to buy stuff. The restaurant is outdoors only and is okay. We weren't thrilled with the selections. There is no gift shop even though they advertise having one. The pool was deserted but basically clean. The waterfall is painted on - it is not real. The lobby is nice although hot and dark. The only thing good about this hotel is the staff. They really were wonderful, but that's IT.

We could not wait to get home - this was a nightmare vacation for us. I was in Jamaica before and stayed at Sandals - the experience was wonderful. My advice to anyone is to stay with the very well known resorts in Montego Bay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank dsaner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

We have stayed at Travellers for 5 nights last week.
We were a bit disappointed at the hotel when we first got there, mainly because of the dated facilities & interior.

But as soon as we reminded ourselves that it's Jamaica and adjusted our expectation, together with our experience during our stay at Travellers, we find that Travellers is BY FAR THE BEST choice among all the hotels in Negril.

Why?

1. Location, Location, Location

Travellers is right at the Seven Miles Beach, Negril and yet only 5-10 mins walk to the down town/community. You can experience a bit of the "local life" and go to supermarket/ local restaurants/mall to buy food/stuff easily. It is great for people who doesn't want to be trapped in the All-inclusive hotels. Other hotels could be a bit nicer in terms of interior/amenities , but you can go no where without cab/taxi/rental car.

2. Safety & No Hassle

Travellers nice security guard Terrance is the BEST! He makes sure we are in good hands and free to disturbance of people walking along the beaches and try to sell us stuff or try to bother us, especially when they get persistence/aggressive. Trust me, we saw how people were harassed at other hotels while we walked along the beach. Having said that, people in Jamaica are nice and a politely said “no thanks” will keep you away from the vendors at majority of the time.

3. Safety (Again!) – Getting around

You can take the cab/taxi. For us, since we stayed there only for 5 nights, we deicide to find a tour operator/driver. And after comparing lots of them, we realized the BEST was closer than we thought – Kenneth, the driver who cooperate with/ work for the hotel. He gave us the MOST REASONABLE price for the trip we made, friendly, nice and reliable. He also drives carefully, as he said once: “you have to drive for others” – it is because people there are so careless, esp. at night, speed-driving, cycling/ walking less than 1 meter (no kidding!) away from all the cars along the road, cutting roads without giving any signal, sudden stop/turn/cut/show-up from cars/people/cyclist/animals.

You may need to plan a bit of the trip by yourself, but Kenneth always tells you how you can best combine your sightseeing/activities and what makes the most sense. E.g. if it is too greedy/ possible/ have enough time to do the activities that you have planned. Or you can simply tell him what activities you are interested and he will find you something.

4. Objective opinions?

We spent HOURS (literally) finding hotels before we decided to choose Travellers. It is not ranked as top 25 hotels among 93 of other hotels in Negril at Tripadvisor or other travel websites for no reason. 

In spite of the fact that the hotel is a bit dated (btw, I heard they will soon undergone some renovation/uplift), the hotel is still comfortable to chill/stay at. The bed is actually clean and comfy. (NO bed bugs/insects whatsoever), room is big and shower has steady hot water and good pressure (VERY important!!). We even have a kitchenette with stove, fridge, toaster and microwave. 

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TwinkleLittleStar
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

Went here with a group of friends to relax and enjoy what's left of our freedom before we graduate school and join the real world. What more can I say? I had an awesome time and the hotel made thing easy and breezy. The hotel is right on the beach, a personalized DJ is spinning records during the days, the food is made fresh to order (must try the shrimp scampi and escovitch dinner), you feel safe on the grounds as security is on call 24-7. The hotel not only gives you a great rate for the same West End beauty but it's versatile in that you can go for a spring break trip in March, or a romantic getaway when things slow down. You can set up trips to go sightseeing, sit on the beach with your friends and a bucket of Red Stripe Beer or just party and drink if you prefer to have fun that way.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jazzedup1
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

Travellers is a really cute hotel. The staff was wonderful and helpful. The food was amazing. Make sure to ask for the specials! Also, at the bar make sure to have a Bob Marley. The beach was clean and everyone was very friendly.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

I visited Jamaica for the first time in March '11 and stayed at Traveller's with a few of my friends. I was impressed from the moment that I arrived at the hotel. I have stayed at other resorts on other islands, and the friendliness of the staff at Traveler's is hands down the best that I have experienced. I felt that I was also able to experience true Jamaican hospitality while there by having access to the local downtown area which made the trip all the more encompassing. We stayed in a deluxe room which was more than adequate with A/C and a flat screen TV. All in all...a great trip and would definitely return in the future.

1 Thank Goodtimes066
Oakville, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

This was my first time visiting Negril. My stay at Travellers was a great one. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. This resort is located beachside, so you can enjoy your breakfast, lunch and dinner right on the beach. The rooms are cleaned daily and the atmosphere is quiet and serene. I enjoyed my stay a great deal and will definitely be returning in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

I honestly had the best vacation ever!! This was my third time at Travellers and it has progressively gotten better each time. Everyone goes out of their way to accommodate you and I truly felt like I was staying at my family's house instead of a hotel. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed March 2011