“Watch out for the "so called" Manager!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fun Holiday Beach Resort

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
Ranked #66 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Toronto, Canada
“Watch out for the "so called" Manager!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a great stay at Fun Holiday Beach Resort. The food was good, the staff was great, but the manager is a creep. He offered to let myself and 5 girlfriends stay at HIS HOME on our return trip, with payment "accepted in many ways". Not only did he come to us at the beginning of our trip and advise us not to talk to locals, but added that "he was not responsible for anything that happens to us during our trip, if we do". He was ready and set to go, when he thought he was going to accompany us to a local beach party, and was visibly bothered when another staff member accompanied us instead. From the time we arrived at the resort, the Manager, continued to gossip about staff and guests, and carry news. Its unfortunate that the "so called" Manager didnt get penalized for making friends with the guests, while other staff members were highly penalized for doing so. On the last day of our stay, he told me he was happily married, and had no eyes for any other woman. So WHY would he offer us his own place to stay on our return trip? CREEEEEEP. This is the only reason I would not stay at Fun Holiday Beach Resort. We are booking another trip to Negril with 6 women in the coming months, and its very sad that we cannot book for Fun Holiday. They have lost our business, and our respect. There are plenty of resorts on 7Mile beach, choose another one!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Pecial G
Maupin D, Guest Relations Manager at Fun Holiday Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry for any incoveniences you encountered during your stay because of the unprofessional manner of the precedent manager we have spoken with him an have taken the right measures with all of our staff so that an incident such as this one does not occur again. We do hope that you can visit us again so we can redeem our name

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Fun Holiday Beach Motel centrally located on the beach, right beside "Roots Motel".. I haven't been back to Jamaica for about ten years. I used to go all the time with my late wife, to various motels on the beach. There are approximately 45 rooms, with a choice of all inclusive or not. The all inclusive deal is certainly worth it. There were three delicious meals daily plus a choice of drinks although "red stripe bottle beer" was not included. They did have draft beer. Often I would have a strawberry daiquiri which was lovely on a hot day. The meals consisted of choice of eggs, bacon, kidneys, french toast and a limited supply of fruits..(not sure why). Lunch and dinner were a combination of jerk pork, chicken, curried chicken, hamburgers,fries and cake/fruit. I never had a stomach problem, the whole time there, not like the many times visiting Cuba. My room was located opposite the office, just a two minute walk to the restaurant and beach. The room had two double beds, a large bathroom, and walk in closet. It also had a dated tv, and I brought my own "boom box" There were a few tiny ants in the bathroom but it didn't bother me. The 'maid (Aileen) I tipped one dollar a day, usually gave me fresh sheets. There was a nice bar serving draft beer (not bottles) and delicious "daiquiris". Sometimes they did run out of supplies but I am sure they tried hard to please. Most staff were very friendly, and often called you by your name. The only problem was be careful on buying any music cd;s even at the motel, unless you actually play it on your own machine in your room before you leave. One of mine was a dud and didn't pay for it. They had a large pool (I hate pools) and twice a week a live band played "reggae". One band on Sundays was a steel band. The beach of course was amazing, dotted with hundreds of bars, motels, restaurants. Remember, one can pay around $18 each for lunch, and up to $6 for a daiquiri -$3 for a beer so getting the all inclusive is a better deal. The ocean was so clear, just like I remember and often these "sting rays" came close to shore. They don't bother you unless you enjoy grabbing them by the tail. This world famous seven mile beach has been ranked in the top ten beaches by the travel channel. Negril offers an amazing combination of offerings such as the cliffs,(in the west end) where I often swam, cave diving, scuba diving and a great place to relax."Rick's Cafe" is well worth a visit as well as Xtabi bar "free snorkeling" . I also visited "Rock House", an amazing motel on the rocks with great diving. Ask for permission first before going in. Often the beach had free bands. Once I went to the "jungle" just across from the hotel. Remember, you will be searched , worse than the airport. At the beginning you will be hassled by the locals for drugs, shells, vegetables , aloe etc, jewelry, A firm no is necessary or I already have it. Be careful on locals putting aloe on you. They will charge you up to ten dollars. Do not accept anything free as there is always a charge..even a puff. Otherwise, the price was even cheaper then Cuba as it included hotel, bus pick up to and from the airport, all meals, drinks etc. I am looking forward in going back next year.

Room Tip: The "Ocean front rooms" are probably worth the extra bucks. Try to pick a room on the low...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank holguincuba2002
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I just returned from FHB. Upon my arrival check-in was done promptly. The room was basic and clean. A/C worked perfectly and hot water was available without any problems during my stay. FHB is located perfectly on the beach. Almost in the middle of the famous 7 mile beach. The food was delicious. What made my stay most enjoyable is the staff. Specially everyone at the reception and Milton, the manager. Milton will make sure you have the perfect stay and will go out of his way to make sure you are satisfied and pleased with everything. I strongly recommend this place for a low cost stay on the island. FHB, Milton, thank you for making my stay perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Ennobr
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just returned 2 days ago. everything was perfect. ac beds food staff location all wonderful. free room upgrade because ours wasnt ready. nice drive to and from airport. manager always made sure we were good and even gave us food to take to the airport. if u want a nice room dont bother going. cleanliness was all i cared about and it was clean. i didnt go to Jamaica to stay in my room. please tip staff as they soooo deserve it! reception staff was wonderful. beach absolutely beautiful. pool and hot tub cleaned daily. Loved it and will return in August!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Stingray6
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Pro's:
Best beach in the world, clean rooms, safe environment, great staff, wireless internet.

The Con's:
Swim-up bar is cash only, all-inclusive bar closes at 10:00pm, not near enough beach loungers (approx. 9 or 10 for 42 rooms), safe is $4/day, fridge is $4/day, pretty much the same food everyday.

All in all, it was just what I expected. Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
We had lunch and dinner outside the hotel several times. So much for the budget.
Thanks to everyone we met, especially Grant for the photography tips and everything else.

Room Tip: All rooms are very close to the beach. Try not to get a lower room right in front of the pool if you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank stairguy

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Nova Scotia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were terrible...our a/c didn't work the whole week we were there...beach has only a few feet of sand. The food was awful and lacked variety...the bar often ran out of drinks. The pool was dirty, very cloudy. There weren't a lot of people staying there. We expected a party place but we were the only ones partying. My teen children were shocked at how awful this place was. We're embarrasses to say we were here at all. Do not stay here! Not worth the money we spent staying here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SnowbirdNovaScotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed at this resort 4 times. I owe it to the wonderful people who work at this resort and consistently go out of their way to make your stay a great experience to write a well-earned & deserving review every time. They truly treat you like you are at home & as part of the family. The fact that I have gone back to this resort is a testament of my overall experience. I am also writing this as I find some of the negative reviews simply unfair.
The property has a great location on a great beach close to everything imaginable both beach & road side. Rooms are spacious, clean & basic. There's AC & basic TV. The TV package has all the essentials covering news, sports & movies. They even have CBC & CityTV if you fancy some CDN content. For Quebecers there’s TV5 for French content. I find that all room amenities, although basic, just suit me when on vacation as I am either out & about or just sleeping/resting when back in the room. I also find the food fantastic. It has variety, is fresh & has local representation. The callaloo, Festival and all the Curries are simply delicious.
Yes the bar closes at 10 pm. Which is great really as the resort is basically quiet & a great place to rest. I find that I always go out for entertainment in the area anyways [bars, concerts, dining etc]. And frankly when I come back, I want to go back somewhere quiet so I can rest [just like I want it at home...]. I generally avoid round-the-clock & rowdy resorts anyways as, like I say, when back from a good night of partying, I want a clean, cool room in a quiet place so I can rest.
There’s free wifi all over the resort except the rooms. You’ll have to come on the balcony to get connected.
Also, I have partied with a few guests on each of my 3 stays over the last year-&-half past 10 in the bar and resto area. As long as we were mindful of all the other guests the security and overall staff allow you to drink your own alcohol and stay as long as you want.
Everyone working at this resort is great. Latoya, Marianne & Kimberly at the front desk are simply fantastic. As always I feel safe & at home at once with Lawrence, Ms Ritchie & O'Neill[security]. Nyron,Collin, kalil & nadisha at the bar/resto area are constantly making sure you have everything and your glass is full. Master chef Wayne although in the kitchen, always come out & personalize your experience in the resto. They always smile and remember your favorites and add a sweet and friendly touch to breaky, lunch & dinner. And Jennifer et al in housekeeping make sure your room is clean and cool when you get back in. She is simply amazing. Everyone at this resort makes an honest attempt to get to know you in order to make a lasting impression on you.
On this trip, I also did an excursion to Mayfield Fusing Mr. Fix-it’s tour service which included George as our driver. They are registered at the resort and take care of you like family.
Sorry for this belated review. Every single one of my stays deserved a review of this kind.
I will always go back to this resort for the staff, value & the overall great experience.

Stayed March/April 2013, travelled solo

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank paolo t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel
Travellers Beach Resort
Travellers Beach Resort
#17 of 88 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 911 reviews

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!