We stayed at Fun Holiday for two weeks with my husband and baby.
Firstly, in previous years we have stayed at Fun Holiday a few times on a room only basis and had a fab time using it as a base.
This year was our first trip to Negril with our baby.
On arrival we were charged $5 a night for a cot to be in the room when we were assured by the company we booked the hotel with that it was included. We questioned this with reception who told us it was a 'special request' and this hadn't been granted. We were then placed on the first floor when we requested a ground floor room being told the same thing again...that it was a request. It just makes thing slightly difficult in carrying pushchairs up and down 30 stairs.
Our cot was delivered within minutes by the chef - who then asked for money (not a tip, wanted cash!) for doing so.
Our room was fine - basic but ok, we knew what to expect. Our TV was broken the first day, and the second day we had a newer tv put in the room. Air conditioning was cool - but extremely noisy!! No real complaints about the room per se. Water pressure didn't really effect us that much - one night we had it slow, but apart from that we were fine at the times of the day we used the bath / shower.
Food: - Guess this is the hard part. All inclusive for 14 nights with the same food day in day out kinda got a bit wearing by around day 9! The meals just got a bit boring - the food was very Jamaican which is great, as my husband is Jamaican but even he got bored. The meat (apart from the Jerk Chicken) tended to be cheap cuts of meat that weren't very good. The kitchen didn't look the cleanest in the world and the chef quite often walking up and down the beach in his whites.
Drink - As part of the AI it was available 10-10. There is one bar tender who works mainly behind that bar (not sure of his name, but he only does the bar - not like the others who wait as well) - he is just such a surly man!! He was either all or nothing, would be all smiles to some customers and then like to the likes of me and my family could barely raise a smile or even a hello from him. Any 'special' request that was asked was always met with a no. Even thought it wasn't particularly special as he quite happily did it for other guests. One day I asked simply for two pepsi's - he said no because he had no ice. I said don't worry, we will have it without - he walked off. I found him rude and he is the only member of staff in that resort who I felt went out of his way to be obstructive. I noticed he was like this with a few guests, but other guests he was making cocktails for them without being asked and taking them to their tables. If the other two male waiting staff ever popped behind the bar to serve, nothing was ever an issue. They do serve in tiny plastic cups - and like other posters the bar isn't well stocked. Appleton often ran out - Ice always ran out! I asked for coconut rum which is far cheaper in Jamaica than normal Appleton but they don't have that on their 'drinks menu' - it was just very basic.
Beach - lovely. Water gorgeous, sand amazing - we loved it.
Staff - all just lovely (except the one barman!) - James the security man was just adorable. He and Janet often took my baby for a walk and he loved them! we have some lovely photo's and memories of these two. Our room attendant Jennifer was lovely - amazing lady travelling such a long way to even get to work every day. Had a lot of time for her.
The what I think was the 'head waitress' (lady who wears an orange shirt) was lovely and really hard working and the lady who arranged the mid day entertainment was enthusiastic and funny.
We had a lovely holiday, we can't moan too much as we have to bear in mind this was the cheapest hotel option which is what we were after. You certainly do get what you pay for, but there are certainly areas which the hotel could improve on.
1) Just trying to be helpful to people's needs when they check in would be great - and sometimes, taking people's invoices at face value - our invoice quite clearly said a cot was included and it felt a little like it was a quick way to make $70 from us. We were offered to rent a kettle for $3 a night also....we went to Negril and bought one and gave it to the family in Negril afterwards.
2) Staff improvements - I know from my husband being from Negril that people are crying out for jobs! Every member of staff at that hotel seemed grateful for having work and had a smile on their face and nothing was a bother - except that one bar guy. It leaves lasting impressions.
We would stay again, probably next time back to room only again - but we had a nice time and met some lovely people. The one advantage to it being a small hotel is that you do get to know some of the guests fairly well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seven Mile Negril beach resort hotel with pool, hot tub, watersports, jet skis, live reggae 2 nights a week, other parties and events! Beach and pool bars, seaside seafood and Jamaican specialties restaurant, room service, internet connection, cable TV, air conditioning - check out our internet specials! For the best value on the Negril beach check out Fun Holiday Beach Resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, BookIt.com and Orbitz so you can book your Fun Holiday Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fun Holiday Beach Hotel Negril
- Fun Holiday Beach Negril