“Small Dive Shop, Great Diving”
Review of Sun Divers Negril

Sun Divers Negril
More attraction details
Owner description: Come scuba dive, relax and see all the marine life of Jamaica Negril. Jamaica Scuba Diving at its best off the beaches of Negril Jamaica. Imagine yourself in Jamaica as you look out you see blue mountains, long sandy beaches, world-class golf courses, cooling waterfalls and clifftop bars. The sounds of reggae music fill your ears and the smells of tasty Jamaican food dance on your taste buds. All of this with friendly faces and lots of fun. Jamaica has it all! We haven't even begun to talk about the water activities and marine life you will see. What better place to experience Jamaica, but in Negril where you will find a paradise for diving and watersports. Not to mention seven-mile beaches that stretch to touch the horizon, and sunsets that get applause. Come and enjoy a 'kick-off-your shoes, shrug-off-your blues' way of life.
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We wanted to avoid Dive Shops catering to hotel open certs (which was basically all of them). Sun Divers was a perfect fit. Small shop, it was my husband, myself, and one other diver. Kurt and Pinky are great. Set up your own gear under their supervision. Very laid back but safety conscious. My husband and I dove with Pinky, he also picked us up and took us back to our hotel in his car. He's quiet, but friendly and very knowledgeable. Kurt was with the other diver at a separate site. We saw The Throne Room and Spade Fish Reef. Big Manta Ray, turtles, trumpet fish, and a guitar shark. I felt so at ease diving with Pinky, we essentially had our own divemaster. Great dives, great people. Prices are nice too, $100 for 2 tank dive including all gear rental (no computers here) plus pick-up and drop-off. We also booked last minute, and Latoya was fantastic with accommodating us! She was the only one who responded via email so quickly versus other shops. That alone won our business. So thanks Pinky, Latoya, and Kurt- we had a fantastic time!

Angela and Nate

"crew"
"jamaican"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The dive shop and boat may seem small, but the staff and relaxed atmosphere make you forget all about that. Kurt and Pinky are great, they are fun, but also attentive and make safety a priority! I like that the boat was smaller, and the dive groups were small. My aunt is not certified but she was able to ride along for $20. They treated her great and taught her a lot. She is going to get certified and do her check out dives with them in November. We did 4 dives with them in our 7 day trip. We tried another dive shop in Negril for one dive due to the fact that it was right on our resort, After one dive, we went back to Sun Divers. They pick you up and let you hang out after the dives and have lunch at the nearby restaurants, and bring you back to the hotel. The entire crew makes you feel welcome and you leave there feeling like you made new friends. Highly recommend this dive shop if you are looking for a relaxed and fun dive. The dive sites were calm and we saw plenty of sea life. I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank JenBREY
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Having read reviews about 4 different dive shops in Negril, I chose to go with Sun Divers because they had good reviews, did boat dives and were competitively priced. They picked me up from my hotel free of charge. On arrival, I was rather concerned because the dive shop was a small shack at the sea front and equipment was a little tired. The boat was actually a glass bottom boat that is used as a dive boat but doesn’t have dedicated places for cylinders and no proper ladder. However, once we were on the boat, I became much more relaxed and when our dive master Pinky (a man, despite his name) started the orientation, I could see why this place got good reviews. He buddied us up appropriately, explained clearly what we would be doing, explained his signals and expectations and the crew helped with safety checks. My hose was leaking and this was swiftly replaced with Pinky’s own hose so that I didn’t run out of air too quickly. The dives were about 35 minutes each. The first was to Snapper Drop and the 2nd to the Throne Room. Visibility was excellent and it was interesting to watch Pinky kill the Lion fish which are not supposed to be in these waters. Disappointingly there was not much marine life to see at both of these sites on the day I dived there with the only thing of note being a lobster. On the second day I saw much more marine life at Shark’s Reef and another site. Exit from the water was by passing all equipment to the crew and then climbing the rope ladder back into the boat which was rather precarious.

2  Thank SuttonCTravellers
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My Husband and I spent five days diving with Sun Divers (over two weeks) and had a great time!

Kurt was our dive master and he'd pick us up every morning in the "scuba car" which was really just an old 80's car but it worked. On the days where we had more divers coming with us, he would drop us off at the shop and go and pick up the other divers as the car really only holds Kurt and three others.

We'd set up our gear, get on the boat, and be off. (Bring your own water as they don't provide water or snacks.)

Now - about the boat. Apparently Sun Divers boat was being repaired so I can't comment on what their actual boat is like. While we were there, they contracted out with other boats and boat drivers. All the boats had a good amount of shade although they weren't scuba boats so we just laid the tanks and gear on the bottom of them. These boat also all had terrible ladders that didn't actually hook onto the boat, which made getting back on a nightmare. But...the boat drivers were all incredibly strong and were able to lift my Husband and I (who are chunky) back onto the boat once we took our gear off in the water. It all worked out alright but I wish I could have experience what Sun Divers boat is actually like.

The boat drivers we had were mostly great. Spesh and Charlie were awesome and fun to have around. We had a boat driver named National one day and our tip money mysteriously disappeared out of our dive bag that day and while I can't prove he took it...it did seem mighty strange. So...if you're bringing a scuba bag, just leave it in the shop where it will be locked up during the diving.

Kurt was a great Dive Master. He also went over hand signals and talked a bit about what the dive site was going to be like. He had a bit of trouble finding the sunken tugboat once but considering there's no gps, I think he finds great sites! He's fun and spunky and just a great guy to hang out with. You will NOT be disappointed with Kurt - one of my favorite dive masters so far.

You'll do your two boat dives and come back to the shop where the shop manager Latoya usually is by that point. She's very nice and seems to be very professional when it comes to the running of her shop. Both Kurt and Latoya spoke English very well so dealing with everything was always a breeze.

Kurt would dunk and rinse all the gear and then he'd drive us back to the hotel. Kurt let us store our gear there since we were spending so many days diving with him which made a huge difference. Kurt even stopped at an ATM for me once on the way home and it's little things like that which are really appreciated.

KURT ROCKS! Sun divers was great. Use them, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Lotti-Ann