“Great experience!”
Review of Sun Divers Negril

Sun Divers Negril
More attraction details
Owner description: Come scuba dive, relax and see all the marine life of Jamaica Negril. Jamaica Scuba Diving at its best off the beaches of Negril Jamaica. Imagine yourself in Jamaica as you look out you see blue mountains, long sandy beaches, world-class golf courses, cooling waterfalls and clifftop bars. The sounds of reggae music fill your ears and the smells of tasty Jamaican food dance on your taste buds. All of this with friendly faces and lots of fun. Jamaica has it all! We haven't even begun to talk about the water activities and marine life you will see. What better place to experience Jamaica, but in Negril where you will find a paradise for diving and watersports. Not to mention seven-mile beaches that stretch to touch the horizon, and sunsets that get applause. Come and enjoy a 'kick-off-your shoes, shrug-off-your blues' way of life.
New York, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We dove with Kurt and Ryan. I am a certified diver, but my 15 yo niece never dove before. Kurt and Ryan mad this experience very easy and memorable. She was able to relax and really enjoy the underwater world. We sent couple of more people from our hotel and they were as pleased as we were. Groups are always small. Highly recommended.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank yushany

Charlestown, Rhode Island
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“stressfree diving!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at Sunset on the Beach, a short walk to the dive shop. Never more than 3 divers. Very helpful captain and the dive master, Kurt was great. Going back next year!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Craig M
San Diego, California, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Sundivers Negril - great experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Just came back home after a week long trip to Negril. I did four days of diving with Sundivers and have very good things to say about them. They are a small dive operation and make you feel right at home. Reservations were a breeze, I did the whole thing by email and got a response within 24 hours. Once I arrived in Negril they came to pick me up at the resort. A typical dive day was this: pickup around 8:30AM at the resort, drive a short distance to the dive shop on the beach. On the first day there is a bit of paperwork to fill out and we load up the boat. 10 minutes to motor to a dive site, gear up, roll in, and dive! I was back at the resort after two dives around 1:15PM.

Their Divemaster, Kurt, is fantastic. I'm an experienced diver and don't give such praise easily. Kurt he did everything right: first priority is safety and he made sure he was well aware of every diver's experience and skill level. On one of the days we had a very new diver with us and he made sure she was comfortable and safe the entire time and went over every signal, rule, and a full dive briefing. He took me to some great dive sites, reefs, swim-throughs, even a small wreck dive. Frankly, I don't know how he finds these sites because he does not use a GPS and simply directs the boat operator while standing on the bow. Kurt is like the reef-whisperer or something. The dives themselves were wonderful: the reefs are full of life and topography and the water was a very pleasant 83F.

The boat operator, Nick, is a quiet, somewhat grumpy guy and I couldn't understand a word he said the entire time. But he did a good job. Every dive we did was a drift dive and he was right there afterwards for an easy pickup. After the dives you go back to the shop, rinse off the gear, and Kurt drives you back to your resort or hotel. I brought my own gear for the trip and they let me stow my gear in their shop overnight so I didn't have to lug it back to my hotel every day.

Because they are a small operation, sometimes I was the only customer on the boat, and they are more than happy to take out a single diver for what turns out to be a private scuba tour. Prices were very reasonable.

Some tips: bring your own water and snacks, they do not provide, and if you bring enough snacks to share with Kurt and Nick it's a nice gesture.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, and a small operation like that is much more preferable to me than a fully loaded boat of random divers.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank JonB290
Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Diving in Negril with Sun Divers”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Cliff notes version: Professional dive operator with friendly, knowledgeable staff; fair and resonable rates; great and interesting dive sites; well maintained rental equipment; ask for Dive Master Kurt, he's one of the best I've ever dove with and knows the Negril sites like the back of his hand. For more detailed information read on.

For my sons high school senior Spring Break he and a few of his friends chose a resort in Negril, Jamaica for their week long break I am not much for sitting by the pool or for tanning at the beach, so after doing some research online I contacted Sun Divers in Negril to arrange for several dives during our stay. On the day we arrived at our resort Kurt from Sun Divers contacted me to set up a couple of dives; arrangements were made for him to pick me up at 8 a.m. the following day and at 8 a.m. the following morning there he was; pleasant, smiling and full of enthusiasm for our upcoming dives. Sun Divers shop is next door to the Travelers Beach Resort which is just outside the main part of Negril; it is a no frills shop that does not offer retail sales, but does have good rental equipement; bathroom facilities and a restaurant/bar at the Travelers Resort are available to the Sun Divers clients. You'll be asked to sign the standard diving waivers and produce your diving card. Kurt is the Dive Master that I was fortunate to work with, a great guy and full of personality. Kurt works with a boatman (captain) Shalom and Latoya handles the paperwork/payments; the three work very well together and are very friendly. I found the dive rates to be very reasonable, packages are available (check their website for current rates).

Diving is no different than most other things we do for entertainment or recreation; it is only as good as the people involved and the equipment that you use. I have to admit that I did not have high expectations for diving in Jamaica when I left Michigan and expected that the Dive Master would be like many individuals that provide services to tourist, nice but without genuine interest in doing anything more than their job. I was truly pleasantly surprised to find that the Dive Master I spent time with (Kurt) was friendly; professional; knowledgeable about the equipement, the local sites and enthusiastic about our dives for that day with a genuine interest in seeing to it that I had a great and safe diving experience. He and the boat captain that he works with (Shalom) seem to have a great relationship and very good knowledge of the waters around Negril. Shalom captains a boat that is typical of the area and is frequently seen shuttling tourist back and forth between resorts on the beach. You'll find the Dive Master and the captain conversing from time to time in Patois, the native Jamaicain language (Creole like) and not easily understood. I felt completely safe in leaving my phone and other valuable things aboard the boat while we were diving. My recommendation would be to plan for two dives with appropriate surface interval between, one just seems to go too fast; bring some sort of snack for yourself and enough to at least share with your Dive Master and the boat captain, they will certainly appreciate it. Even though the air temp was in the 80's and the water at 70 feet was 84, I still chose to wear a wet suit; on the second day we dove with a couple of divers that did not have wet suits and they seemed to be a bit chilled between our dives. Kurt got our gear ready both days, did a pre dive briefing and was very helpful in getting the divers ready and into the water. I never felt like I or any of the other divers were anyone other than friends of the Dive Master that he truly wanted to make sure had a good and safe time. This is unlike other dives I have been on where I honestly felt the Dive Master would really rather we had just stayed on the beach. Once in the water surface visabilty to the bottom was in excess of 100 feet. The days that I went diving we went in the morning; the ocean was always calm in the morning with the wind and seas increasing a bit each day after 12 noon. There were no site guidelines to the reef or any structures at the sites I went to and the current was minimal. When we surfaced Shalom motored to our surface location to pick us up. Here again the Dive Master was very helpful in assuring that everyone (one at a time) got their weight belt off (he passed it up to the boat captain); then assisted each individual in getting their BC off and up to the boat; again, a much better experience than I have had with other dive operators and Dive Masters.

The dive sites greatly exceeded my expectations: beautiful reefs, full of colorful, large coral, sponges and fans; many small reef fish, squid, lobster, lion fish, nurse sharks, rays; swim throughs, overhangs, coral caves; there are sites with airplanes, canons, old anchors and a tug boat. Whatever your interest is this Dive Master knows where to take you. The visability was very good 100+ feet with water temp at 70 feet of 84 degrees F.

The bottom line: My dive experience was only with Dive Master Kurt and Shalom, the boat captain he worked with on the days I went diving, but these two days of diving were some of best I've had. The sites were great, but the people involved (Kurt & Shalom) made the two days of diving exceptional. At the present time Kurt is taking his Instructor Certification; he will be a great instructor.

I would recommend bringing a snack, water, a camera or a Go Pro if you've got one; tipping was not expected but was very much appreciated by both the Dive Master and captain Shalom ... "Respect."

Visited April 2012