My husband and I stayed in the owners villa the last week in June. Our stay was fantastic!The villa suited our needs perfectly as my husband is a chef and used the kitchen quite a bit. We also liked the ocean view afforded by the villa. We could have made it without AC but it was nice to turn on at night when trying to sleep. Below are a list of things we particularly enjoyed while in Negril.
Things you have to do....
1. Engage in conversation with the staff...Errol, Shine, Otis, David, Sandra ect.. They are great people that you can learn a lot from. Not only about Jamaica but about life in general.
2. Get a Dirty Banana Drink at White Sands next door. They have 2 for 1 drink specials every day.
3. Get a meet pattie and coco bread from Norman on the beach. He comes everyday except Sunday from 11:30-12pm.
4. Go to the fruit and veg market to the left of the roundabout at the center of town. You can get stuff that we never see in the states. At least try the nasberrys and plums(not the typical plums found in the states) The ladies are very knowledgeable and like to tell you about how each friut can help fuel your body. Cheapest place to get friuts and veggies. You can also buy some fruit on the beach or a truck that comes by Nirvana a couple times a week.
5. Get used to the hustlers. The security is the best at Nirvana so you never feel harassed. The hustlers in Jamaica are the best I have ever witnessed. Seriously, they will have you buying stuff you never intended to buy . We learned that the first time to Jamaica. As this was our second time, we got better at the game. You do not have to "look" or buy anything but we find it fun to look and bargain with them. Just treat them with respect and they will respect your privacy. (Don't ignore them...just say no thanks if you are not in the mood) Also, the security will look after your stuff and kids. We witnessed a hustler approaching 2 young kids(their partents were in their room) to try and sell them something. Just as they went to get out $, Errol called them over to tell them they better ask thier parents before buying anything. They truely have your back.
6. Go to Cosmo's and get Lobster Thermidor and Lobster Curry. SOOO GOOOOD. It is about a 30 minute walk along the beach or a $5-10 cab ride. Make sure you tell the taxis what you are willing to pay to before you get in.
In summary, we got back 4 days ago and are already trying to figure out when we will be able to save enough to come back. Back to Nirvana that is...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located on Negril Beach, Nirvana is an intimate & unique beachfront property with that famous old-style Negril ambiance, privacy & security making it the perfect choice for couples, singles, families or groups who have been searching for a special island-style laid back un-commercial Caribbean beachfront vacation. We are a terrific value, you can rent one unit, several units or the whole property. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Nirvana On The Beach Hotel Negril
- Nirvana On The Beach Negril