“The best place on the west end of the island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nirvana on the Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nirvana on the Beach
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Fairfax, Virginia
“The best place on the west end of the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2007

Nirvana is by far the most beautiful property on the beach. Everyone who walks by on the beach marvels at the beautiful gardens that make up this property. The property is located in the middle of the 7 mile beach which gives you easy access to either end. The accomodations are very comfortable and the staff are truely friends. They do everything to make your stay as comfortable as possible. If you ask, they will squeeze fresh orange juice in the morning for you and prepare traditional Jamaican meals for dinner. Don't go to Negril without checking out this place. You won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Very quite and peaceful
  • Disliked — None...loved everything about Nirvana
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tom82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2007

Nirvana is the perfect name for this lovely compilation of cottages headed by the owners cottage. My cottage (the owners cottage) had a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a huge bedroom and a bathroom the size of my living room at home. Thru the french doors there was a lovely patio that housed a swing chair and one of "my favorite things" - a hammock! I could lie on my hammock, listen to the birds and the employees whistling and singing, listen to the waves and rock myself into a state of pure bliss.

Everyone at the resort was lovely. Siggy (and I spell it this way on purpose because I know her real name!) is a doll. I would have loved to have many more chats with her on the patio. I really didn't meet many of the guests as I was there to chill and I did just that. My business keeps me talking all day long and I really didn't want to be "on" while I was supposed to be reaching Nirvana. So I kept to myself. But, there was always a smiling face if you wanted a quick chat. My cooks were very sweet and although my oranges were lost for a day they took the best of care of me. We finally found that blasted bag of oranges on the upstairs porch; I suspect a Doctorbird carried them up there for later.

I rented a wave runner with the help of Moses; the price was very reasonable and I had a ball. This was only my second time riding and my first time driving. I loved it!

My only downside was I was there when Hurricane Dean was threatening to hit. For 2 days we thought we were going to take a direct hit from a Category 5 hurricane and we were asked to leave the property a day early. As a travel agent, I understand that natural disasters are out of anyone's control. I do feel though that the resort should have given me my money back for the one night I was asked to leave. Had I been given a choice that would be one thing but I really was given no choice. Now, in their defense, I was offered a free night on my next stay but I have many clients that would not be happy with that at all; many who will not have the opportunity to return to Jamaica making the credit useless. Obviously, I had to find another resort to take me for that last night and that cost me an additional $200. Again, I hate to complain when the resort was truly wonderful, as were the employees and the owner. But, as a travel agent, I feel I must comment on the lack of a refund for a service not provided.

• Liked — My accomodation
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamericanone
Midwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2007

We were imensely displeased and would caution anyone from considering staying here. The prices are way to high for the lack of quality at the property. The cabins we stayed in were not air conditioned, and were exceptionally hot at night, making it very difficult to get any sleep, In addition, the trees were dropping large fruits of some sort on our roof, making a very large banging sign that lasted throughout the night. The beach, gardens, and help were the exception, as they were a joy. My wife and I are not hard to please and have traveled extensively, but can say in all of our travels, this was clearly the most overpriced undervalued facility we've ever stayed at. Somehow they seem to receive positive reveiws from other folks which led us to stay there, but we are beside ourselves trying to figure out where in the world these folks got their opinions, because they are honestly way off base. Consider yourself warned, but it's your call.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank traveloftentoo
nirvanaNys, owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this review, November 28, 2007
these guests wanted to have loud drinking parties with many drunk local touts they had just picked up on the beach, this would have disturbed all our other guests so they are angry about our not allowing this.

Nirvana is a very quiet property with strict policy that
promises privacy & security for all our guests, if you want a party central we are not the place for you
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2007

I have stayed at Nirvana four times over the last ten years. I always look forward to my visit as it never dissapoints and is always wonderful. I love the gardens, the quietude, the friendly service, and the property itself is the best on the beach... hands down. the seurity makes sure that we are never hassled too much by beach vendors, and none of the rowdiness spills over onto the property. If yuou are a couple looking for a romantice spot, or a family seeking a wholesome atmosphere, Nivana is for you. If you want to party all night... look some place else!

• Liked — The property and staff
  • Disliked — I could not stay forever for free
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

Nirvana in Negril! thats what it was for us on our ten year wedding anniversary! A friend recommended this place to us and we were more than satsfied. We rented the ground floor suite and it was perfect for us. Their private beach was better than any other property, {since there has been a lot of erosion}.
It was wider and less crowded. Location is great, lots of everything, just steps away. The staff was fantastic providing info, car service and anything that we needed. We loved the fresh orange juice. The screened in porch was a great place to read and hang out while it rained a bit.
Nirvana has the perfect balance for us. It was great having a peaceful safe and comfortable place to hang out. But since we love the music and nightlife, it was convienient to all of that too!
If you like large, posh, resort style places, this is not the place
for you. If you want to stay at a place that has privacy, easy access to lots of good food and entertainment, this is the place.
We don't often write reveiws for places. Who has time? Not
to mention we, quite selfishly, don't want Nirvana to become TOO popular. But we also feel that people do need to know what a great place it is. We'll just have to plan further in advance on our next visit.

• Liked — Location, Privacy, Kitchen, Great Beach
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BandG_7
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

Our stay at Nirvana was FABULOUS ! Though the 3 days of
rain were sort of misery, we managed to spread ourselves out a bit and make the best of it. A hotel room would have been
dreadful in that rain --
(Im talking non stop torrential downpour !).. and Negril is reputed to generally be the sunniest spot on the island.. chance we took.

We had cabin fever as it was before the sun came out. We managed to be there in one of the rainiest years anyone had seen in over 20 years ! That's the risk we took when we booked.
When the sun came out .. it was awesome !

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Nirvana to anyone. My son is an aspiring chef and he had a great time learning/teaching cooking with the maids. He got to buy lobster and grill it, and learned how to make callaloo and ackee and even taught the maids a thing or two.

The location is spectacular, the gardens are gorgeous, the staff extremely courteous and helpful. they couldnt have been more helpful, while also being discreet and giving us space. They were just perfect actually.

The beach is one of the nicest I've seen in the world (and I have seen a LOT of beaches).

It was the quiet season (no other rainy weather gamblers), for several days we had the place to ourselves. Im old enough to have a 24 year old son, and he brought a friend. We all had a good time, enough to do separately and together. So, I hesitate to pin it down .. who it is for. BUT there were lots of toys for kids, and it certainly had the potential for a romantic locale. I'd say there is something for everyone. I've recommended it to a VERY fair skinned friend who burns to a crisp in the sun, because there is lots of shade right beside the beach.

Local restaurants are so much fun (and we are picky foodies), lots of variety, good prices... you can buy anything you want on the beach. We would buy fruit from the fruit lady and make our own smoothies.

I usually go all inclusive, but my son and his friend wanted to get to know the locals better and get a feel for the place, so we did it this way. It was great ! We wouldnt hesitate to recommend it for a second.

• Liked — location, staff
  • Disliked — hmmmm... hard to think of anything. Maybe being in the cottage by the road? But it wasnt a bad deal anyways.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank BroniaV
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2007

In October, we returned to Nirvana to celebrate our anniversary again. We were there for the first time 3 years ago and knew we wanted to return. This time we only had 3 days, but even that short time was worth the trip! Nirvana is simply THE most relaxing place we have ever been to. The property is beautiful with plants, flowers, and decorations, and is maintained with great care. Our room, the upstairs veranda, was clean, comfortably furnished and decorated, and very private. The beach is simply amazing! The entire staff is friendly and accommodating, creating an atmosphere without a single worry.

Nirvana is conveniently located near many nice restaurants and stores, and it is very easy to get to anywhere by taxi. But, for us, the best part was just being totally relaxed and lazy. The staff is ready to help with anything you need. An order for fresh oranges resulted in fresh squeezed OJ in our fridge within an hour. 24-hour security makes lying on the beach or a nighttime stroll on the property feel safe and unbothered. Assistance getting trustworthy transport is readily available. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a meal prepared for us, but we did enjoy the aroma of others’ meals!

During our 3 days we had the opportunity to experience just a bit of Jamaica ~ friendly people, great food (including fresh cut fruit on the beach), music, artistic craftsmanship, an aloe massage, lots of sunshine, and many many smiles. And, for all that, we didn’t have to go any father than we could walk!

I would recommend bringing some insect repellant for the beach tho ~ the only bad thing was the biting no-see-ums in the sand. We were there shortly after a rainy stretch, so that may be why they were bad. Of course, I was badly affected and my husband had no problems (as usual), so I guess it is just my bad luck. Though the itching did effect my sleep, all it did was keep me awake to listen to the beautiful sounds of the tree frogs and the surf!

We will return ~ hopefully next time we’ll be able to stay longer. We looked at a few other accommodations on the beach, but nothing could draw us away from Nirvana! Thanks to Stanley and Lonnie and their wonderful staff at Nirvana ~ for being a part of our short, sweet escape to heaven!

• Liked — the most relaxing place we've ever been to!
  • Disliked — nothing ~ the accomodations were fantastic!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple