“Conflicted”

Ranked #12 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida, United States
“Conflicted”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

My sister and I spent a short vacation at Jamaica Tamboo from 12/7/13 to 12/10/13 for my birthday. I purchased a Groupon for this hotel and thought it would appropriately suit our travel needs.
The staff at Jamaica Tamboo were very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Rushay and John did their best to compensate for the various kinks. It was Vanessa who made our trip very comfortable. She was awesome! We looked forward to her positive attitude and smiling face at breakfast each morning. Raquelle and Rocky were great also.
We were greatly disappointed with the quality of the room(s). In fact, we asked to be moved to a different room after finding a wig and a plastic bag under the sink. The faucets were also filthy. It was very disappointing. However, Rushay switched our room and it seemed to be a slight improvement. The floors were clean in this room. After my request to have someone clean the filthy faucet in the second room, she obliged and it was cleaned. The toilet was pretty gross and there was an ongoing issue with ants. The sheets on the bed were torn and not changed for the duration of our visit. There were black stains on them. The biggest issue for us was the neighboring club that blasted the music until 4:00-4:30 am - literally! There was no sleeping. It was so loud that we could make out the words to the songs. There was no phone, no safe, and no iron (although I requested one, it never came).
One of the perks of Jamaica Tamboo was its location. Not only is it on the beach, but it is in close proximity to mini-marts, restaurants, and a mall with some cool shops and an office where you can book excursions. Everyone was very respectful, helpful, and fun. Despite the conditions of the room, we had a wonderful experience that afforded us the opportunity to encounter some wonderful people!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mimi C
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Jamaica Tamboo Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your positive comments about our staff. We're glad you enjoyed your stay despite having some concerns.

We agree it is unacceptable that you found a wig in your bathroom. Dirty faucets are also not okay. We will work with our housekeeping team to make sure rooms and bathrooms are ready before guests check-in. We've also bought new bed linen and towels.
We're working hard every day to improve our facilities. Thanks for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cut Off, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The resort is on the beach. All the floors and bath are ceramic tile. It is exceptionally clean. The people are VERY friendly and welcoming. It is very safe. The police are constantly patrolling the beach. Jackie did an excellent job of arranging transportation for us. The service staff were very attentive to our needs without being overbearing. The food was authentic, fresh, and very good. The beds and pillows were clean and comfortable.There is a salon on site. Good service, reasonable prices, great company and conversation. I highly recommend this place for an authentic Jamaican beach experience.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank cajuncatholicgirl
JamaicaTambooResort, Owner at Jamaica Tamboo Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2017
I am happy that you had a great time with us and thank you for your comments. We are always improving on the quality and service of the hotel to ensure you always have a pleasant experience with each visit. We hope to host you again in the future.
Negril
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Jamaica Tamboo is a hip friendly resort that should be cut some slack . The staff is friendly the ambience great , if you are not into trends and latest then the Tamboo is not for you with a name that means something cultural, they are situated in a zone that is always pumping up the jam . Not all the fault is entirely theirs and my predecessors should give ceasar what is due to ceasar . Jamaica Tamboo has the eloquent John Levy amongst a vibrant administrative staff whom i would like to single out the manager who single handed manages to control and effectively market the property . Whilst they cannot please anyone , they are working hard to overcome the struggles on a daily basis and I admire the amazon of an office manager , so cut some slack to the Tamboo and allow them to learn for in this life , we all cannot be perfect . Its called trial and errors and we all make mistakes. John with the Amazon and the team . Large up yourselves we will be back for more lobster pizza

Room Tip: Room 33 by far the best room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and I am happy that you had a great time with us. We are always improving on the quality and service of the hotel to ensure you always have a pleasant experience with each visit. We hope to host you again in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Pros - Right on the beach, neighboring hotels had great food, the staff is nice

Cons - More than an hour away from the airport, there's a club right next door so don't expect to get any sleep until after 3 a.m. every night the music is so loud it's like there performing right in your room, no phone in the room, no safe in the room, no iron in the room, wifi never worked, sheets didn't fit the bed and had holes in them, sheets were dingy, had to keep going to the front desk and asking for was clothes because they never gave us any at all or only gave us one to share, the bar didn't have any food that we tried to order so we had to eat at the neighboring hotels which was great by the way, the locals constantly hung around the bar everyday soliciting tourist to buy marijuana.

This hotel is considered to be a 1 star hotel in American standards. It desperately needs to be renovated. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Prettyyoungthang
We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. As I explained in a previous response, the nightclub beside us has been forced to turn down the volume. Our guests can now sleep peacefully.

We agree that sheets with holes are unacceptable and have recently replaced our bed linen. We were unaware you were having a problem with WIFI. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will look into this.

We have a zero tolerance policy for people trying to sell drugs on our property. If you were solicited in our bar, that should not have happened. We apologize and will be more vigilant.

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was in Jamaica a few weeks ago and i came across a hotel called Jamaica Tamboo Resort it was nice when i saw it but when i got on property i asked this tall older man in a hat for the office and the way in which he looked at me and answered me i felt as if i was a bother to him. when i got to the office the Lady that was working inside was so unprofessional and her attire was unacceptable so i choose to leave. but returned for the pizza when i got back it was sunset we sat at the Bar had a few beers and then our pizza came as we were enjoying our pizza there came some men trying to sell us drugs and sex to us i was so scared and the people at the bar including the older man who i think works there did not even tell them to leave. so Jamaica Tamboo Resort is a really nice place but needs better management and also staff needs training. would i ever return NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would i ever recommend anyone NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronda L
Thank you for sharing your experience.

We have a zero tolerance policy for the selling of illegal substances or services. We're sorry you were harassed by vendors and will work harder to protect our guests.

If any of our staff members were unhelpful or unprofessional toward you, we apologize. We'll have a discussion with the team to improve in this area.
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at Jamaica Tamboo in late September 2013 for 4 days with my adult daughter. Jackie was most accommodating, and even found us a fridge to use .. even though it broke down after the first day and wasn't replaced. No worries though.
The first night my daughter and I went out and came in late, they locked the front gate and we had to go through Kuyaba a couple doors down to walk through to the beach. The next day I asked security if this will happen again and he gave me his phone # incase it's locked and he will come to open it, however, it never happened again and he left the gate open. It might looks as though there is no security but there is! If you're up late at night you will see them. I felt completely safe. There weren't any lingering people around and my belongings remained safe. They will arrange a taxi, cook things to order, bring you beach loungers etc.
We had breakfast included which was nice .. something we didn't have to worry about. We didn't drink their alcohol so I cannot comment on the strength or quality but I can tell you their ice is frozen and plentiful and they didn't mind sharing.
The wifi was down due to bad weather and it not coming back online. Thankfully I had my phone I bought a digicel SIM card with data.
They brought fresh towels daily. I don't change my linens at home everyday so I didn't expect them to be changed there daily but I'm sure they would have been if I asked. My bed was made and floor swept daily. I felt bad for treking sand in and messing up the place actually.
The water took a while to get hot but it was hot and didn't run out. The toilet and faucets had good pressure. The a/c was comfortable. The windows all had locks that worked.
We were pleased with what we got for what we paid and this fact alone with bring me back with my family or friends.
There isn't a pool and I don't think there are many activities for young children other than the beach. There is a water park down the street that you have to pay for. Bring lots of beach toys!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 30.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize to you for having such a poor experience while using our facilities. Since your visit with us we have made infrastructural improvements to the facilities of the resort. This is in an attempt to improve the overall experience of all guests that visit our hotel as in house guests or visiting the restaurant. We have also changed and implemented some of our policies that will ensure that there we not be a re occurrence of such an experience.
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Where can i begin, first i must say the staff is super friendly and so welcoming, the room was extremely comfortable and from my it was like 20 steps to the beautiful beach. The food was great good music and great people. The hotel was located close to all the fun stuff for a first timer being in Jamaica. Would i recommend someone to visit Jamaica Tamboo Resort? Yes 100 times over

Room Tip: Room 35 the beds are so relaxing and the AC is super cold just like home
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments and I am happy that you had a great time with us. We hope to host you again in the future.