Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of Negril Beach Club

Negril Beach Club
Ranked #17 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Had a great room with great service. Could only spend 7 days this year but will make it 10 next year. I took the One Love bus for free bar hopping on the cliffs and was great way to meet people and enjoy new places.

Room Tip: Get the studio its worth the extra cost.
1  Thank reps

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank barry h
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We booked a "1 bedroom executive suite" 6 weeks in advance via a third party online agent. I immediately upon booking contacted the property directly to confirm the reservation (successfully). I again confirmed approximately 1 1/2 weeks in advance. Upon arrival last night with an exhausted 2 year old, we were told there was no room at the inn... we would be taken to a property in-town Negril, "on the hill" (that means nowhere near the beach). I asserted that this was not acceptable, and was given the choice to use a property more or less across the street. It was evident that this was probably going to be the best/only option at 9-10 PM at night, so here we are at the Coral Seas Garden Hotel.

As I said to Olga at the Beach Club, in the event of an overbooking, I expect to be reaccommodated to a COMPARABLE property. The quality of the room here at Coral is comparable, but it is a standard room (reserved a suite), no beach, no refrigerator, & very noisy (street). These are all the factors that draw us to the Beach Club in the first place!

I have to give a 1 star for now... Olga said we could move back on Monday (2 days) and that we would receive some manner of refund for the degraded accommodation. I will update this upon receipt of whatever proposal we get from the manager today or tomorrow... The lack of fridge alone will cost us 3 meals eaten out, as we customarily eat breakfast and lunch in the room. The larger issue is going back and forth to the beach on a 2 year old nap schedule!

What would I consider fair? : 50% refund for two nights, or 2 additional nights at no charge once we do check in to our unit. Three meal vouchers for 3 at the on property restaurant.

I will make this proposal to the manager when available ("maybe Sunday, maybe Monday" is what we were told). As return customers, we have defended this property over the years to friends that were scared of some of the negative reviews, I hope to continue to be able to hold NBC in high regard.

Stand by for the rest of the story!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank David E
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I was booked at Negril Beach Club for 10 days and upon arrival on Feb 3 I was told they were overbooked and I would be staying at their "sister" resort. This sister resort, Caribbean Sunset, was a dive that was not even on the beach, a scary spot in town!!! I called the hotel 1 week in advance and was told that everything was ok with my reservation. Overbooking happens, but you dont bump people to an even worse resort!
Fortunately, I booked with Expedia and they moved me at no extra expense to me.

I have stayed at Beach Club before and thought it was a dump but the price that Expedia was offering for a beach front resort couldn't be beat. At this point I wouldn't stay there no matter how low the price!!!

Room Tip: Find someplace else!
1  Thank Irie_Rasta_Dawta
Reviewed February 17, 2012

NBCC's and Jean Gaynair and staff will make your stay in Negril amazing! Check them out! Call Jean or Deandra! They will fix you right up with the most amazing place and great views and lovely location! The Lingah By the Sea is really shaping up to be a great place to hang out by the sea and eat/drink! Eat, drink, and be merry!

1  Thank Nardia
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I booked this hotel late in January and liked the fact that the picture looked nice and the rating of the hotel is a 3 star. Unfortunately the Hotel itself needs a lot of maintenance and updates. The experience I had was not as worst as the other comments I had read. When we arrived we noticed a couple fighting with the front desk lady because they did not get the room they booked. As we heard more of what was going on... my fears started coming back of what horrible things I read on this site online. However, we were one of the lucky ones that got a decent room to sleep at night. I knew by the appearance of the hotel that the picture on line was a hoax to get people to stay there. If you are looking to rest at night and walk the beach all day...well this is great location since its situated on the beach. I will not recommend the restaurant on the property (Lingah) since the service is very slow. Expect your food cold. we will plan to go to jamiaca but not to this property in the near future. The locals are nice and willing to help when needed but beware of the exchange rate of currency since some try to over charge since you are a tourist in there country.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This complex has 3 entities. Negril Beach Club Resort, Negril Beach Club condos, and Negril
Beach club Timeshares. Its former name was "Mariners" Beach Club.
You can book direct with all 3 (numbers on the website) or you can book via internet with various
travel sites, ie expedia,hotwire etc.
The whole complex is shaped like a 'U" . Keep in mind the bottom of the "U" would be the lobby and main entrance with rooms facing the Norman Manley Blvd. (not to be desired)
The location of this hotel in my opinion...is just about perfect. I'll explain why later.
The overall condition of this complex is in need of renovations and repair. It is obvious everywhere.
BUT..that is not a good enough reason not to stay here. Read on.......
A lot of the occurences that people write about in their reviews are true....but one must allow some
grace here.....as previously stated" you get what you pay for" Do not set your expectations too high.
I am a gambler. I'm willing to take chances. After reading all the negativity on this hotel, I still booked
and did some due diligence in doing so.
YES..they overbook continually and chances are you will not get what you booked for.
The problem is ,with 3 separate entitiies, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.
Consequently, people arrive daily with great dissappointment. ( I witnessed this over my stay)
Their site boasts king beds, kitchenettes, gardenview,one bedroom, studios, etc.
To ensure that I would get a room , prior to arrival ,I sent an email to my internet tour operator,
the Negril chamber of Commerce and the Jamaican tourist board. I did not want to get stuck without
a room having booked 17 nights. This I believe gave me some leverage in a worst case scenerio
knowing that the hotel has a "bait and switch" operation in place. ( posted in other reviews)
ROOMS> ok..upon arrival I was informed that my original request (king studio) was not available, so I got a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom. It was one of those rooms with the newer hardwood floors and renovated bathrooms. Good overall, with a hotplate for cooking and a fridge
that worked. Flat screen tv in living area and a good sized bedroom with a walkout to a balcony
overlooking the parking lot where the condo check in is located. Not for us. First there was no safe
in this room. and second, the parking lot has cars coming and going day and into the late night
so you will get interruption from noise of cars with the music blaring and people talking as they arrive late from their night out all boozed up. There are no sliding glass doors in this section, so you will hear everything. The only bonus of staying in this area is the free internet.
INTERNET > is not in the lobby. It is free only to the one side of the hotel where the condo check is.
Just connect to "linksys" Other patrons will come during the day and take a seat there, but if you have a room above, you will get it for free. Otherwise the fee for the week is $35 US.
SAFE> Not all rooms have a safe. Our second room had one, and we did not use it. The fee for the
safe is an added cost of $3 per day.
BED> the first thing I do wherever I go is visit the room before committing to it. I dont care how cheap the rates are.....but if you cant get a good nights sleep and there are bed bugs....no deal.
So the beds here were good and firm and clean. At least the rooms that I saw. I did not hear any
complaints from others as well.
FRIDGE> some fridges did not work , mine did.Bonus!
STOVE> worked well after I took it apart and made better connections with the stove rings.
WATER> Good pressure for shower and adequate hot water. I actually drank the water too and
I feel fine to date.
MAIDS> It is surprising to me how they can afford maids to clean your rooms and change the sheets
and towels at the rates they charge. I let the maid clean and change linens every 3 days.
but they do come daily
BEST ROOMS> Most of the rooms are very similar and chances are you will move at least once.
You do not want a room facing the main street., or the parking lot if you want quiet.
All other rooms facing the garden and beach are best. The only units that would be considered direct waterfront/beachfront are block "J" and "A" Not sure if these are timeshares or not.
Most of the rooms have 2 double beds and not King beds. Be aware of that.
BEACH> Because of the "U" shape of this complex, the beach here is deeper than most. It is all for
the good. Good quality light brown sands....not white .The ocean was clear. Hard sand bottom.
Did not experience any jellyfish, or other critters that would sting you. You can go quite a ways out
up to your waist. Very good swimming.
LOCATION TO TOWN> You can walk to town on the road or on the beach in 10 minutes. Great.
All your banking, shopping etc can be done here.
RESTAURANT ON SITE> Lingahs by the Sea has very good food and worth a try a few times.
Good friday night buffets. Good jerk fish. Good lobster. All very convenient if you feel lazy and dont
want to venture out every night. ( the best restaurants are on the cliffs)
FRONT DESK> You might find some of the staff here to be rude or indifferent. Its just the way it
is here. Try to be friendly and win them over. They do not own this place. They have to deal with
the cards they have and try to make everybody happy, which is impossible . Jamaicans to not make
high wages and especially not here. Just be firm if you want some changes, but be nice about it.
Raising your voice, slamming the place will not get you anywhere....you will get your money back and have to find another place and pay more money.
BUGS> I did not get bitten once, either by sand fleas or mosquitoes or anything. Did not need
bug spray at all. What I did find over 17 days was only 2 cockroaches in the kitchen. This happened
late at night when I woke up to visit the bathroom. Got them both! No others were found. In a tropical Island with all kinds of critters, this can be expected anywhere. No biggie for me(did not tell my wife)
OVERALL SUMMARY
Look....People come to Negril mainly for the beautiful beach. The beach is fabulous and this hotel
has one of the most spacious with lots of loungers to use. The ocean is beautiful, the sunsets are stunning. I rated this hotel based on the hotel itself....Its more like a motel 6 or 8 and not like a Holiday Inn. When I factor in the location AND what I paid....I have to give it a 5 STAR for overall
value ...period,many would agree with me. Yes there is an inherit risk that comes when booking
here....but if you are stayiing a long time and would rather put your money into fabulous restaurants
and sightseeing etc....then its worth the gamble.
If you are used to luxury, all inclusive pampering, fast service,or you are a princess, then do not
come here. I walked up and down this beach several times in my stay and let me state this....Most
of the a la carte hotels and motels are of the same quality...some actually worse. There is not much
in between. Take an adventure as I did , or go five star Sandals, Couples,or private villa such as Moondance or Eco Villas...but that would be a lot of money for 17 days or more.
The security was good here. I felt safe. You will get approached by Jamaicans trying to sell you something at least 6 times a day. Know that. After a while they leave you alone.
Some people brought children here. I would not. All they have is beach and water to play with.
Further, there are a lot of "baby boomers" and " older hippies" here basking topless and smoking ganga.(you smell it everywhere) Welcome to Jamaica Mon!
This hotel met my expectations.
BEST TIP FOR FOOD> Right across the street opposite the traveller resort there is a restaurant
named " FATTY"s I ate here at least 10 times as it was the best fried chicken I ever tasted, along with goat, fish, rice and peas etc.....a full meal for 400 ja ($5 US) AMAZING!
BEST TIP FOR SATURDAY NIGHTS> Visit the "Seastar Inn" They will send a cab and pick you
up around 5pm Saturdays only and bring you back all for only $18 PLUS first class entertainment with a professional band, and drummers. PLUS an excellent buffet. A must do experience over at cliffs area.
BEST TIP FOR AIRPORT TAXI > book online at "Clives transportation" Only $100 both ways
to and from the airport. We had " Leroy" excellent driver and helpful to stop and shop on the way
to hotel to buy beer,food,etc. The taxi was waiting for us on arrival...no bickering with all the others.

Room Tip: Keep asking for whats available if you are not happy.Be persistant and nice.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple