“great experience”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Stayed there for five nights and had a very pleasant experience. All of the staff and employees were more than friendly and hospitable. The cliff overlooking the ocean were beautiful with underwater reefs for snorkeling right in front of the hotel. All of the fun places are either within walking distance or a short ride. Definitely recommend. Restaurant across the street is a must

• Stayed: March 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed March 7, 2011

Samsara Cliff/Legends Resort
“SHOW ME THE MONEY”
On February 13, 2011 my Sister and I stayed at the Samsara Resort. I myself had been to the Riu Negril on January 8, 2011 for 10 days and loved the resort as well as Negril, which is why I returned so soon. I was very aware that this was not a 5*, however, 50% of the reviews were pretty good or fair on most amenities and the view was exceptional.
Upon our arrival to Samsara, we were greeted with “fill in these forms” name, address and phone#, ???? then asked for a $100 deposit, cash or credit card. We had booked an AI vacation with Sunwing, and all was paid for so there was no need for more money. They insisted and we were tired of our long travel from 5:00 am and it was now 2:00 pm so we gave them cash. I have been travelling for 15 years and never once have encountered this kind of greeting. We were reimbursed the $100 before checking out the night before. We were very hungry and the lunch was leftover fries, pizza, cold and all dried up. Yuk, yuk. Next we encountered that there was no blow dryer in the room….we emailed the resort and asked many questions and it indicated in amenities that there was one…well there is one….1 blow dryer for 50 rooms and when you are done, bring it back ASAP..can you imagine that. Next time we gave $5US for it and we kept it for a few days. Towels and Sheets were not changed…I had to ask for this service and gave another $5 or $10US….everything revolved around $$$$. Food was awful…no salad…always jerk sausage and beans for breakfast and fries and grilled cheese for lunch. And you are served 1/2 a grill cheese...you need to ask them for another...seems like their is portion control here. Dinner was the same…way too much jerk foods and no variety whatsoever. I must add that if you are a diabetic…there are no diet soft drinks whatsoever or splenda for sugar in coffee. You can get diet soft drinks at Legends only.
Lizards crawling on the ceiling and bedroom door, you can see through it, cracks in the middle…that is Room 117. Everything you do or ask for you must give your room #, apparently for inventory.????

Red stripe beer cost you…and if you are at the bar after closing (10:00pm), you pay for a drink….even if you have the all inclusive…again everything was about $$$$$.
Pool was only chlorinated at 10:30pm twice in one week with a 1 jug of javex…and wow, could you smell it.
None of the staff are happy or smile at all…just a very depressing bunch of workers. We went to Legends twice and the food at lunch was a bit better. We ate across the street from Samsara twice for dinner and the food was absolutely divine. Maurice is the owner and also owns Samsara and Legends. Can’t figure out why his restaurant Ciao Jamaican is so good and the staff was so nice and friendly…. he owns all three establishments. Again the food was divine.
Low budget and no theme nights or entertainment at this resort….Not a recommeneded Resort....YOUR Choice.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank gigilev
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2011

Thank you for your review and for choosing to spend your vacation with us. We appreciate the opportunity you have given us to respond to your comments for the benefit of the readers of this forum, who otherwise may be confused by your account.

Every hotel I’ve ever heard of requires an incidental deposit upon check in to cover charges that are not included in an all-inclusive plan such as telephone calls, spa treatments, etc. This deposit may be a credit card imprint, or in its absence, a cash deposit. Even RIU requires incidental deposits (please check the Riu website to verify this for yourself). In addition, most hotels I’ve ever heard of require that guests complete a guest registration form upon check-in, including Riu. This is standard procedure in the hotel industry. Continuing, we do not advertise blow dryers as room amenities. However we do have a few in our front office, which may be borrowed as you were kind enough to mention.

Sunwing Vacations clearly states on their website that our all-inclusive bar hours are 10 am – 10 pm. I’m not sure what has led you to believe that you should be an exception to this, but it simply wouldn’t have been fair to our other guests.

Our swimming pool is treated after hours with pool chlorine. As most hotels receive their chemicals in bulk drums, it is necessary to measure them out in smaller quantities. As an eco friendly resort, we choose to recycle our empty gallon containers for this purpose, which includes but is not limited to used Javex containers. It is a ‘green’ initiative, and we are sorry it bothered you.

Nobody at our resort has ever had to spend a cent on having their sheets changed, end of story. And yes, there are lizards (mostly small geckos) on tropical islands. I am surprised at your apparent surprise regarding that discovery.

Your claim that everything revolves around money is unfortunate, I hope you have a better experience next time you travel. However, normally speaking one is required to provide money to obtain a room, meals, and beverages a few feet away from the Caribbean Sea, which is exactly what we provide here at SamSara. As you said, you were fully reimbursed for the incidental deposit as well as the deposit you left for the blow-dryer. Therefore I am left to wonder what exactly it is you are writing about.

Thank you again for the opportunity to share useful information on this public forum. We appreciate your business and look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Reviewed March 6, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Samsara for one night in one of the huts atop the cliff. We had a beautiful view over the ocean with a lovely sea breeze through the wood shutters. If looking for a real rush take a leap off the cliffs right outside your door step or grab a snorkel and mask and explore the reef below. This place is ideal if you are looking for peace and quiet and some real R&R on the cliff or take a nap in a hammock and feel the breeze. When your stomach starts to groan take a walk across the street to Ciao Jamaica and you wont be disappointed, great food served with a smile. Try the Mango/Papaya salad to start, the lobster diablo for your main and if your lucky the scrumptious chocolate cake. If your too comfy to leave your hammock call for a Pizza delivery and be sure to ask for the Jerk Chicken Pizza you will not be disappointed. If your looking for a great time and a beautiful atmosphere this is the place to be.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KassDobs
Reviewed February 27, 2011

i am going to preface this message by saying it has been well over 2 weeks that we have waited to make this post as we wanted to be as fair to all parties involved as possible, but needless to say we were VERY UNIMPRESSED with the WEDDING COORDINATOR FROM SAMSARA. I will not use her name publicly but if anyone is thinking about having a wedding at Samsara you can private message me and i will give you more details. This is our account of the situation and i can assure you we have many witnesses that can agree.

We had been planning our wedding at Samsara for well over a year and in that time i can say without hesitation NOTHING was simple!! I believe the final count on emails back and forth is over 120 so that gives you an idea of the amount of time and effort that was put into making this day what we wanted and i will honestly say 80% of the effort was on our end!! One of the reasons people choose destination weddings is so they can remove a lot of the stress associated with planning a wedding. Now we understand that planning a wedding away has other stresses we were left with many many unnecessary stresses leading up to the day. Things like sourcing WHITE CLOTH NAPKINS!!The only colours avail from the hotel were red and blue(the first colours i think of when i think tropical wedding!!lol!!) You cant tell me that no where on the island is there white cloth napkins to be had(we were willing to pay for them, but she could not find them!!!) Her other suggestion was to bring paper napkins as they come in a variety of colours, not much of a solution in my opinion, especially since she told me to bring them not that she would find them. We had to bring our own SEA SHELLS!! for the centre pieces, we had to bring our own candles for the centre pieces, We had to bring our own food colouring for the centre pieces. We had to bring the ribbon to add to the cake. If we had not put the effort into the decor that we did i can not imagine what we would have been left with!! I understand that i wanted something a little different than the standard package but i really feel more time and effort could have been put in on her end to make that happen!!!

We had a group of 28 that travelled for our wedding of that 28, 21 people booked their stay with either Samsara/Legends on the all inclusive package.(We were offered at 10% discount, but only if we had more than 8 rooms and each group stayed a minimum of 5 nights, which was not mentioned until one of our friends and her family were making their reservation in December, no restrictions had ever been mentioned prior to that.) We were charged Full Bar Prices on all guests at our wedding when in all reality we should have only had to pay for the guests that were not staying with them, for one extra hour of bar service(we were there until 1100 and all inclusive ends at 1000)and for our upgrade to bottled beer(my husband wanted the stubbies that night!!lol!), we paid for a dinner for 30 guests(buffet style) At the end of dinner there were left over's in the buffet, one of our guests was a local gentleman who wanted to bring a plate of food home for a friend who was hungry, he was told he could not!!!!!! It took my husband and our best man actually having to "get into it" with the wedding coordinator in order for him to get that food!!! Her reasoning was that we had only paid for 30 people and he had no right to the food, what if everyone had wanted seconds???? Would i have been charged for 60 people?? And wasn't that food on that buffet for our wedding??(there was another buffet line set up for the hotel guests and this was extremely confusing as we had been moved into the same dinning hall as the all inclusive guests due to rain and there was no one over seeing the buffet lines so some guests of ours were eating from the wrong buffet and some hotel guests were eating from our buffet, however our guest that was eating from the wrong line was entitled to since she was all inclusive at both legends/samsara) All being said and done we were charged for 31 people because of that extra plate of food(almost $50us,it was a choice of jerk chicken or escovitch fish , vegetables, rice and peas and pumpkins soup with a fruit plate for dessert. You tell me but if you were to go else where for that same meal would you be paying 50US, i wouldn't be!)
To top of dinner not only did our guests have to move tables and centre pieces from outside to inside when the rain started(the wedding coordinator came up to my mother and told her to go find guests to bring tables in!! She did not ask her she told her!)We had guests who had to go back downstairs once we were told to go upstairs because there was not enough room for them. By the time the wedding party was served our meal 80% of our guests were done there meals.

After dinner because of the small space we were in we would not have been able to have any type of party so we opted to move back outside and you guessed it, we were responsible for moving tables and centre pieces again! With a little bit of help from the staff(backwards no????)
We would have loved to had a conversation with the wedding coordinator at this point but she had gone home without even saying goodbye!!!! We were left to deal with someone we had never met who we were told was her replacement.

We had been given a room for the day to get ready in and were advised that as long as we did not sleep in the room there would be no fee for the room. We left samsara at approx 1130 at which time my husband spoke with the replacement wedding coordinator and asked her if we had to have all of our belongings out or if we would be able to come back first thing in the morning to gather our belongings, she assured us it would be fine to come back in the morning no charge. Low and behold i get billed for one nights stay at samsara and it took us having to prove to them we did not stay(the manager from legends had to call her and tell her that we were seen after the wedding at legends!!!) then they still charged us a 50usd security deposit for our stuff being locked in the room!!! If that is not the epitome of nickel and diming i am not sure what is!!! The real kicker, when we went back to get everything it all managed to reappear EXCEPT THE WHITE NAPKINS!!!! we had to make another special trip to get those later in the week because the wedding coordinator was going to charge us 10usd to have them shuttled to legends(where we were more tham happy to pick them up as we were still on the beach just at other resorts and no one was planning on being up on the cliffs again)

I saw the wedding coordinator a total of 5 times that day, of which twice she was yelling at me(we were running behind on getting ready like most weddings and she came to the room opened the door and told me to hurry up the reverend had another wedding and the rain is coming, and then turned around and walked away!!!) I was not a "bridezilla" and i had very real expectations of a destination wedding however the service we received from the wedding coordinator at Samsara was so far from acceptable that we felt we had to make this post in order to warn anyone thinking of planning with this resort. There are many beautiful resorts on the cliffs that could provide the same beautiful scenery without the all of the headaches!!!

She will not be how we remember our wedding and thanks to all the people i mentioned in my first post our day was still as amazing and as special as we had hoped, but it certainly is of no thanks to our wedding coordinator.
matt and michelle

• Stayed: February 2011
5  Thank welovenegril
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Run.

My husband and I booked this hotel for our honeymoon. big mistake.

The area is very ghetto. The pictures on the website make the resort look clean and nice. Well...it isn't. We were supposed to get a honeymoon treehouse on the ocean. we arrived at the resort and they walked us across the street to a run down hotel (away from the ocean.) We saw RATS outside our door. The hotel itself looked like the Red Roof Inn on crack. There was no air condition AT ALL and it was hot and muggy. We had one washcloth. The freakin' curtains were hanging up by a piece of thread! The windows had screens over them that were broken and tiny bugs were coming in.

My husband and I left the resort early the next morning and spent close to $1,000 on another resort location. I am not even a stuck up person or a complainer but this hotel was nasty. The people at the hotel looked trashy as well. They were all drunk and smoking weed. If you are a party person and all you do is get bombed, you might not mind the nastyness, otherwise, run away!

3  Thank pippigirl4
Reviewed February 22, 2011

So, it's been 10 years since we've been back to Negril. We shouldn't have waited so long. We knew of Samsara from our past visits. Walking past on a search for off the beaten path food. We always found it in the cliffs! Good food, that is. Anyway, we have stayed at 5 star resorts in Mexico and it's been good. And we have stayed at 0 star places on the beach in Negril. So .. with that said .. always remember you are getting what you pay for! And Samsara was a fabulous stay for the money we put in! We went with the all-inclusive plan cuz' we knew what we would drink in alcohol would be worth the extra. And a handy meal is nice too. I was worried about the strict dining hours .. (I'm an evening snacker!) but it really was not a problem. I was never wanting for food or drink. The atmosphere of the place was sooo relaxing. People would be hanging out on their porches, or in the pool area. Everyone greeted each other throughout the day. The room was comfortable and clean. Not spotless .. if your one that wants to have every crevice and corner clean till it shines .. well you need to lower your standards. We also chose to stay on the ocean side of the resort. It wasn't that much more to spend and it was worth every cent to hear the ocean and see the sunsets. I believe our rooms were "labeled" as superior ocean view. Fresh towels were brought every day. The bed is a bit hard .. but we were able to sleep just fine! We brought old beach towels from home .. as did many others. I felt I could leave them if I needed too. There is water available all day .. from a cooler. We took our own water bottles and drink cups to have refilled as needed. It worked out great! We left them for the staff that seemed to really like them. If you want coffee before 8am .. bring your own coffee maker. The meals are real Jamaican foods. It does get to be the same "old thing" if you choose to eat only there on the inclusive plan. But it is a meal. There are many good, inexpensive restaurants within walking distance. Scout around on a mid day walk about .. you'll be surprised at all there is. The locals are friendly but they do want to sell you something. We have always found that a kind " not today" or " we're just on a walk today" works wonders! The sister resort, Legends, is good for a change of pace. We liked the shuttle that got us to the beach. Then we would just walk for the day. There isn't much beach space at all if you like to lay in a chair and sun bathe. Stay at Samsara for this. You will be able to touch your nieghbor. But the beach atmosphere is totally different from the cliffs. If you want a true Jamaican pattie .. walk down to Niah's . Any of the Jamaicans can tell you where it is. The patties are the best I've ever had! In short .. we had a much more enjoyable time staying at Samsara than we expected! We will certainly go back again! Oh, the staff .. I almost forgot! They were fabulous .. soooo friendly and helpful. When the staff seems to be enjoying their job and their surroundings .. something is certainly right! Diane, Kimesha, Owayne and Lorraine were just a few that gave us daily smiles and made us feel welcome. Did I mention you can snorkel whenever you want .. right off the ledge of the resort? You can! And it is great! If you are adventurous .. give Samsara a try. I think you will enjoy it as much as we did! Jack Daniel and The Cat Lady!

Reviewed February 17, 2011

This was our third and final visit to Samsara. By now, you all know about rock-hard beds, high drink prices, dangerous traffic and the wonderful views. But- you may not know about the owner, whom I seriously believe to be deranged. On our second day, I lost the charger to my rented cell phone in the hotel restaurant. I returned twice to look for it, and the second time encountered an older man who said he was the owner, and who looked in the kitchen and returned with a charger. We agreed it may or may not have been mine, but it fit and I left him with my room number in case it turned out not to be the one I'd lost. Fast-forward two days, and he's hunting me down, accusing me of stealing his charger and insisting I return it THIS INSTANT. Shocked, I agreed to return it, and when I did, he harangued me for several more minutes, threatened me with how "powerful" he is, how he was sorry to have helped me (!) and how he got rich on stupid Americans, etc. I shoved it in his hand, he then decided to grab and pinch my cheeks HARD, and then pulled me toward him for a kiss. Unbelievable!

Although I called the front desk and insisted on speaking to the manager, the manager is his wife, and she had HIM call me back. That was not helpful, especially when he asked if he could come up to my room to 'talk'. We should have moved hotels, because it truly destroyed our vacation, with me literally hiding from him, afraid of being further accosted. I'm still shocked that NO ONE ever apologized to me for his behavior. That says so much more about Samsara than anything I could ever tell you.

2  Thank MissDiaz-7
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Thank you for your post and repeat business. My co-workers and I have been trained to provide friendly service to our guests 365 days per year, here on the beautiful island of Jamaica. It is upsetting to know that one of our guests had such a bad perceived experience at our establishment, and I truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to make amends one day. I begin my humble response by conveying that it is rather difficult to follow your logic. Specifically, you commence with the fact that it was your third visit to our resort, and then proceed immediately to describe how much you disliked it. I find myself searching for a rational explanation for why you would choose to visit a place you disliked so passionately, for a third time. It must also be stated for the record that your account of events surrounding the loss of your phone charger, and subsequent lending of one to you by the owner of our resort, bears more resemblance to an excerpt from a mafia novel than actual reality. Evidently you are upset, but with all due respect your comments are so emotionally charged that they negate the value of this website as a source of real information for travelers, as opposed to a platform for you to levy a personal attack on a gentleman who made the error of going out of his way to lend you a phone charger. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you again in the near future.