“The NIcest People Ever!!!”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #33 of 81 Hotels in Negril
new york
“The NIcest People Ever!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2007

The service was great.....The people were extremely nice, gave us accurate information. We didn't care for the food too much. It was not like real caribbean food..i felt as if i was in the united states eating spaghetti..lol...but overrall our room was always cleaned, very cool and the staff was fantastic!!!

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank ladymia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
massachuestts
Reviewed July 10, 2007

this hotel was the worst i have ever stayed at. you certainly get what you pay for. watch out for hotel staff that i thought would watch out for me because i am an American visiting their country, but no. the hotel desk clerk short changed me when giving back change. i didn't know what the exchange rate was. They weren't friendly. No courtesy calls for shuttle pick up. they want you to use their hotel room phone so that you can be charged $1.65 for the first minute and .40 there after. dining area, needs major updating and needs to be more clean. even with 6 people working the dining area and no one in it, they couldn't manage to keep the tables clean, or even attempt to wipe them off once i sat down. maid service, forget it, they just superficially clean, no sweeping, no more than one trash bag per stay. and the trash barrel is pint sized and located in the bathroom. food was awe full. i thought that by going to Jamaica i would be in for some real Jamaican cooking. Not at the samsara, i don't know what kind of food that was but they need a new cook.
WOULDN'T recommend this hotel to anyone. no ice machines around and when going to the bar area, they will only give you a dixie cup of ice. no water machines either and the gift shop opens when it wants and the bar area at 10 a.m. Do not stay at this hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything needed updating
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
11 Thank mlaporte

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Philadelphia
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Well, where to begin.
First of all?
Yes on the collapsible cooler with 5 stars. My traveling companion managed to convince me that was a foolish mistake so I didn't take it. We did however end up spending 80 dollars to get on there to save our lives. hahahahaha Twice a day ice kept everything chilled and it was a mainstay.
Yes on the extra towels. The staff was wonderful and kept giving him dry and clean towels, but when you are in the water several times a day, there is no limit on the times you need an extra towel to take on a boat, to the water, etc.
Probably yes on the small coffee maker as well, we didn't do that either but wished we had.
After a trip to the local market, the HiLo, I was able to stock the room with cold drinks, cold snacks like applesauce, wine, etc. Some plastic cups also from the market and life was good.
I simply cannot say enough good things about the Samsara and the people there. WONDERFUL human beings. There wasn't a request I had that they did not help me fill, no question I asked that they didn't go out of their way to answer with total satisfaction and they helped me solve a million little things that needed solving. The rooms were chilled, clean, and very comfortable. The bathrooms were lovely; the water was a neverending stream of hot soothing or cool chilling as needed.
Food. We chose the all inclusive meal plan and the buffet at every meal was large, delicious and had a great variety to choose from. I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself able to eat everything and drink as much water as I could and never suffered from any of the things I found I did in many other countries. And having a hollow legged young man with us, he utilized the buffet like a battalion on maneuvers and was never hungry, which in itself is a feat. We really enjoyed the "theme" nights at the Samsara, and again, the food was delicious. Kind of like home cooking that I didn't have to cook. And the music during dinner and after was just delightful.
The pool and sauna were spectacularly cleaned every day, although with the cliffs and a jump into the emerald waters only ten feet away, I didn't utilize the pool but many others did and had a great time in it.
Famous Vincent...Vincent's trip to the coral reef and the snorkeling were just the most happy surprise. Every day off the cliffs he would putter by in his boat and anyone can flag him down and make a reservation for whatever time and day, and he accommodated all of us with ease. Providing the fins, mask and snorkel, we were not encumbered with finding our own and his "tour" of the reef was just lovely. He dives with the small groups he takes out and points out all the best things and living creatures on the reef. He keeps you on the reef for about 45 minutes and with the boat ride there and back, it was about a 2 hour excursion all times, with an added bonus of great views of the cliffs, the island and his added input were very informative..
We had no problem using either dollars or "J's" everywhere we went, not once did we have any hassles. Although after the first day, the "j" thing became really cute. "And how much is that in J's?"
I changed money at the "Cambia" {sp?} and the rate was 67 to 1 and I cashed traveler's checks there as well, but most times I just used dollars and got "j's" back in change. It depends on where you are "buying" as to the exchange rate, but it ranged from 60 to 67.
The trip to the "red ground" district to visit friends of my companion was just spectacular, not once were we troubled and everyone was just marvelous and friendly. And the cool drinks at “Judine’s” little “place” again saved my life.
I ended up taking about 300 photos, and I'm going to slap them up on a web thing and will come back here and post the url.
But I especially want to mention the wonderful people at the Samsara, Maureen the cashier and Yvette, two of the most lovely human beings I've met in my travels. Everyone. Simply all of the staff were friendly, cooperative, and I made some lovely friends I will never forget.
Yvette was so sweet she made a call to the states when we got home to just say hello and make sure we all arrived back safely. What a great surprise....
Cabs. We had nothing but great drivers, and the rates, although you can bargain for them, were never really high and in that heat although we did take one long walk, it saved our bacon to use the cabs to get around.
There was nothing we found we needed that we couldn't find, we never lacked for a thing, and the trip was just the best!
Thank you all for all your advice and help beforehand, it did make a difference.
My companion thought I had packed "too much", but everything I packed, including extra clothing for him, was used with one exception: I never had to use the "Off", there were no little critters flying around and it was the only thing I took that went unused.
The afternoon rain was so welcomed, and sitting on the balcony, overlooking the cliffs and the ocean as the lightening struck way out on the ocean was a treat I didn’t expect.
We had no trouble with luggage at the airport arriving, we had no trouble with anything really. I expected delays and much waiting, but trouble just never appeared.
The Samsara arranged for a lovely air conditioned SUV to pick up at the airport and it was $20 to get to the hotel. The cab fare downtown Negril from the cliffs was anywhere from 150 J to 5 US for more than one in the cab, but as I said you can bargain.
Maureen at the Samsara told me how much “locals” pay for everything and how much was a fair price for me to offer for everything so it made it very easy. She told me to arrive at a “price” before I did anything so there would be no surprises and it worked out just great.
And yes, I plan on returning and spending more time. The rates at the Samsara were unexpectedly low, the food was good, the service was spectacular and I would recommend that little hotel to anyone at anytime.
I am not really a huge “resort” kind of person, so this little gem on the cliffs served my life completely and I never felt out of place, or in danger, or any negative emotions at all. It is not glitzy, it is not big, but it is a little piece of gold on the cliffs if you want small, accommodating, and informal. There is nothing in Negril you cannot do or find from here and the cost is so low it makes a vacation less painful. Why spend money when you can spend your time enjoying Negril.
There is a shuttle every day to the "sister" resort, Legends, that leaves at 11 and returns at 4, but I never used it. The ocean was lovely off the cliffs and the water was spectacular, so I just didn't need to. You can also eat meals at Legends, but you have to make a reservation and once we were there, "layed back" and relaxed became the word of the day and we just didn't feel the need to leave Samsara and travel to Legends.
And I wish I was there right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan

• Liked — The people, the staff were just wonderful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank LikeAVirgin
Philly USA
Reviewed July 3, 2007

A Small Piece Of Paradise
by Jim Nasium
07.04.07

The very first moment I waked into the shady coolness of the main desk area of The Samara Hotel and saw the ornamental gates, the comfy sofas, the smile on everyone's face, and felt the coolness sink deep into my skin, and bones I knew I was some where I would enjoy being. My first impression of The Samsara Hotel was correct I discovered my very first [full] day there.

After checking in, which didn't take very long, I was taken to my rather impressive room and shown how to use the TV, and the AC key and the moment I stepped out on my sea view balcony I was so very glad I followed my instinct and decided to spend my time in Jamaica there, at the Samsara.

The view of the sea, and the fresh sea air blowing into my room as I lay on my queen sized comfortable clean bed reminded me of days I have spent on that beautiful little island years ago, and made me so very happy to be back and even happier I picked Samsara to stay in.

A walk to the cliffs to relax, and take a swim in the ocean, then a boat ride out to the coral reef with Famous Vincent, the live entertainment at night, the staff, and all of the help, all did everything they could do to make sure my stay would be enjoyable, and easy for me. The food was excellent, and there was as much or as little food as I wanted each meal and the Rum Punch [that flowed like a river] was a real treat ;-)

EVERY ONE I met there, and I MEAN EVERY ONE was pleasant, friendly, helpful and more than willing to do any thing I asked of them and even in [some] cases that could easily be considered over and above the call of duty. Since I have a slight handicap and can not get around easily I was very pleased the staff was so nice, and so very willing to help...

I really enjoyed my stay at The Samsara [what I can remember of it anyhow, you see I drank A LOT'A Rum Punch mon'] and yes, I WILL go back and stay at Samsara one day.

How ever one small draw back I found, was the fact that once the bar closed at 11:00 PM there was no where on the property to get a cold drink, that I was aware of anyhow, so.... may I suggest you either bring a small cooler with you when ya go, or buy a cooler there, and make sure to get some drinks, and ice to keep in that cooler just in case you are like me and would want a cold drink when ya wake up, or come to [what ever the case may be] in the middle of the night or before the bar & kitchen / dinning room opens.

Perhaps Samsara will consider getting some soda machines folks can get cold soda's out'a at night, and who knows, maybe they could put some Red Stripe in there too ;-)

GO TO Samsara... do yourself a favor, and bring your whole family, they'll all love it too. I give the Samsara a 4.70 stars out of a possible 5.00 stars rating...

Mr. Jim Nasium
gymart.com

• Liked — The privacy
  • Disliked — nothing...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank JimNasium
Colorado
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Dear Sabrina,
Just wanted to thankyou for everything you and your staff did in making our first visit outside of the USA a great time. We stayed from 5/11/07-5/15/07, a Birthday present for my wonderful wife. Upon arrival, we were shuttled to the resort, and am not sure who our driver was that night, but from the moment we settled into our seats, we were involved in conversation as if we had known this young man for years.
Upon arrival at the resort, Vanroy was there to greet us, and I believe either Craig or Johnny assisted us with our luggage to our room. I had found that to get into the Pillar Cottages, you needed to call the resort and upgrade. Very easy process, and enjoyable experience because of the treatment received over the phone. I had also called ahead to have a bottle of Champaigne & Flowers be placed in our room before arrival. Very nice touch, and thankyou so much Keriann, and all involved in this accomodation.
Johnny immediately hooked up with us, and provided during our stay the hooks, weights, and bait so we could fish. Had brought our own poles. This was an amenity that involved Johnny going above & beyond his job to make our stay a masterpiece. Would like to be able to send a gift to him if that is possible, please let us know.
We had arrived late that first night, and Mourene was behind the bar, and arranged for our meal even when it was after dinner hours, and welcomed us as if we were her family. What an extremely pleasant woman. From the moment we met her, she challenged me in my Christian faith because of her manner, and through sharing some of her own life experiences that expressed her stability, and the joy & peace she exhibits in the way she carries herself. Such a joy to be any where close to her presence makes one feel right at home.
We cannot say enough about Pauline in the gift shop. Had a wonderful time buying and socializing with her. She was so pleasant to do business with, and become friends with. Trying to find the words to describe your staff escapes me, but the memories will be forever treasured.
Vanroy at the front desk, my hat goes off, so very professional, and beyond the word friendly. It warmed your heart each time you had the opportunity to go to the front desk.
Keriann, we were so delighted to actually get to meet the person behind the scenes who arranged our awesome experience. Thankyou so very much for all that you did.
Pauline behind the bar who would not accept that we were not the most special people staying there. I tried to argue my point, but she insisted that we were the most special. Pauline, you are very special, and have a very special gift that touches the hearts of all you come in contact with.
Owayne served behind the bar on our final night, and we certainly enjoyed his wonderful hospitality, and friendliness. We had met another guest that night by the name of Susan, who was an elderly woman that we enjoyed spending the evening with. Watching Owayne cater to her as she had definitely been drinking for some time was so very professional, and courteous. A very detrimental part of your staff team.
We tried to remember all the names of those we met one on one, and apologize for any that we did not mention. Thanks again, Johnny, and hope those Red Snapper made a wonderful breakfast. You are outstanding, and we enjoyed meeting you.
There was also our taxi driver who told us to call him Chunky, who drove us from Samsara to Legends, and to Rick's. Tel him we said hi. There was also a yound man we met not far from Samsara toward Legends when we walked down who was set up on the right side of the road between two trees and 2x4 railing in front of small parking lot. I wish I could remember his name, I know he would remember us. We must have stood and talked with him for almost an hour. It was raining that day and we insisted, even with all those in taxis offering rides that we were going to walk, enjoy the rain, and meet Jamaica on a first hand basis by meeting the people.
Sabrina, on a 1-10 scale for our visit there, we would have to say at least a 15!!!!! Am unsure, because you can never determine how life will unfold in the future, but as far as intentional plans, we would definitely like to visit again, and again. Next time we will be sure and bring our children.
Thankyou so much for all that you do to make Jamaica a destination that's close to heaven on earth. Please do not hesitate to give out my email address to any on your staff who would like to respond, and please tell each and everyone of your staff that remember meeting us that I might have forgoten, or was unable to remember their names a great big thankyou from Wayne & Kristi Stewart from Grand Junction, Colo. USA

• Liked — The Pillar Cottage Upgrade
  • Disliked — ?????????????????????
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ispthn
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 17, 2007

I just returned from a short stay at the Samsara Negril. I have known of this hotel for sometime but this was my first stay. They refer to it as a resort but it is a hotel. The reception desk was very polite and so were all of the staff. They must have listened to the coments/complaints of other members of Trip Advisor and guest. The rooms were very clean. The furniture is old and mismatched, but "clean" is a key word in my book. There were fresh flowers in my room upon arrival and they were repalced daily. I left at least 100 dollars JA or $2.00 US daily it is greatly appreciated. The bathrooms have all been updated with new mirrors and granite sinks. There are also marble tiled showers and new towels. The buildings could use a new coat of paint maybe that will come soon. I would not get the AI plan because there are so many little place to eat in Negril and the food is not that good at the hotel. I did breakfast daily and that was 570 JA. There is a great place to eat called Chicken Lavish which you can walk to, it is excellent and is in just about every travel book on Negril. I would suggest to bring a small soft cooler to keep in your room no frig. There is a little grocery store across the steet with everything you need, check it out. One thing that is a plus is that they have US electrical outlets, you can use your appliances and you can charge your cell phone. Most all US carriers work in Jamaica but you have to set it up with your carrier it is not automatic and you will have roaming fees, portable CD player, hair dryer ect. That was a real plus because I have been to Jamaica many of times and this is the first time for this. The Samsara has wonderful ocean views and every room on the oceanside has a view of the water and the cliffs. The surf is very nice to wake up to and wonderful to listen to. The price is right, the location is great, the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, yes it is a buget hotel so if you are looking for more then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a clean friendly place to stay while you explore Negril then this is the place to stay. I will return for sure.

• Liked — The view of the cliffs and the ocean
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Gymbunni63
Linden, Michigan
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Just returned late last night from a weeklong stay at Samara. At first glance, I have to admit that I was a bit worried about the entire island because it is quite a different feel from other places I've traveled. It really is a very poor country with a 40% unemployment rate. That said, I will now focus on the hotel. There are two sections--one on the ocean side and the garden view rooms across the street. Try to get a room on the ocean side. Nicer and more convenient. Crossing the street there is extremely dangerous as it is on a corner. The staff is extremely friendly and will call you by first name. Since the hotel is on the cliffs, you can snorkel and swim right there. Snorkeling was just okay, not many fish. We stayed in room 2B which was on the ocean side but still considered a garden view because it was behind the large bungalow type rooms on stilts. But we could still see the ocean from the porch. The room we stayed in was like a small attached villa. There were steps leading up to the porch and front door. It was not one of rooms on the tall stilts.
Nice size room with no A/C, just a very large ceiling fan (high ceilings). 5 windows provided for a fairly good airflow but it would be nice to have a window in the bathroom and also one in the ceiling.
You have to pay extra for A/C rooms and they don't provide the best views in my opinion. Even the stilt rooms don't have A/C. It was definitely quite hot and humid while there but not too bad at night. No problems with theft. Tip the maid a couple bucks and she'll be happy. I did find a humungous deak cockroach in the room lying on its back and I guess there was another dead one the following day but never did I see a live bug the entire time. The maid will spray your room as often as you'd like.

Rooms are clean but the towels appeared to be gray in color. It smelled like the used bleach in the rooms so I don't know why the towels were discolored.

I have bad allergies and the last 4 nights we had neighbors on either side of us who smoked cigarettes. It poured into our room which did bother me but there wasn't anything I could really do. The rooms are very close to each other and you HAVE to leave your windows open!!

The beds were hard and very lumpy and for some reason the sheets were way too large for the bed!!

The lightning is extremely poor. Worst I've ever seen! Only two dim lights for the entire room. It was like a dungeon. Good thing the humidity kept me from worrying about my appearance too much. No plugs in the bathroom for appliances.

Room could use a refrigerator!!! Water was safe to drink from the tap. Don't bother spending your money on fancy bottled water. Not necessary!

Obviously there is no beach but you can take the free shuttle to the sister hotel down the road (Legends) at 10am and return at 4pm. Catch a cab back if you don't want to stay all day. I really liked being on the cliff side. There are lots of good snorkeling opportunities within walking distance. Beach is crowded but nice. Tons of vendors everywhere.

Very small pool at Samsara. Hardly anyone used it. I do not recommend the All Inclusive option as there are so many great restaurants nearby. Breakfast was okay and you get a 10% discount if you stay there. Samsara is small and has only one restaurant. Don't limit yourself!!

I will write a separate review on the restaurants but I recommend:
Xtabi, Rockhouse, LTU Pub, and Pirate's Cave.

Overall, nice hotel in need of updates and repairs but just go with the flow and don't be afraid to explore.

• Liked — friendly staff, convenience
  • Disliked — no A/C, poor lighting
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple