“Great value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

For a budget hotel, its well worth its money - especially going all inclusive. We had a great 2 weeks, lots of snorkelling and diving with on the site dive school, Marine Life. The beds were a little hard, but the staff are wonderful - very helpful and friendly. Its much better than staying on the beach - you don't get so much hassle and the Samsara feels very secure. Getting up in the morning and going for a snorkel first thing really starts the day - lots to see right on your doorstep. Would recommend this hotel if you don't expect all the frills - its comfortable and relaxed and the food is ok and we came away feeling we had really had a good holiday.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nandi13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Negril's distance from Montego Bay guarantee it's atmosphere. It's quiet, there's no kids, and it's gorgeous.

Samsara's staff are really nice. The food was amazing. The drinks are decent. And the hygiene was great. And I haven't even mentioned the cliffs yet.... Absolutely gorgeous! The ruggedness of the whole ladder-grounded-in-cliff-straight-into-water was amazing.

The only thing I would give a negative remark is the pool. It's not kept as clean as frequently. But with the ocean right there, the pool is pretty much a waste of time.

I recommend this to all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank nobodygetshurt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Hi,

I stayed here in may 2010 together with my partner for 11 nights.
Before booking here we checked out the hotel’s website and the reviews here.
We were willing to spend more on a decent room, so we booked a “superior room” with our
travel agent. This cost us about 250€ extra for the duration of our stay.
Upon arrival, we received a room (114) where there was hardly any daylight,
the lock on the door was broken, the window smashed and overall it just looked disgusting!
I assumed this was a mistake and went to the reception to get the “superior room” we payed for.
Here I got the answer we were in the nicest room of the hotel… hmmm
We were so bummed after a 13h flight we justed wanted to go home again.
So I called the hostess of our travel agent to come the hotel the next day.
Luckily she could persuade “Sabrina(management)” to give us a better room.
This room was better, meaning that things weren’t broken or filthy.
It still wasn’t what one would expect to be a “superior room” !

This hotel has one problem that is very obvious, it lacks decent management.
I mean, if you don’t get new sheets on the bed at least once during an 11 nights stay,
and you still have the towel problem mentioned in earlier reviews,
this means the hotels management just doesn’t care about their customers.

They ask you to fill out a review form when you leave, but I can not believe they actually read them!

Never again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stoffelz
NegrilhotelsManager, Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2010
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is helpful in allowing us to share information with readers of this forum, by addressing your concerns and making corrections when necessary. With the information you provided we were able to identify your booking.

The morning after your arrival, we were happy to quickly respond to your request for a room change from room 114 to room 210 (without persuasion from your travel agent). We take room change requests very seriously and give them our full attention. Your new room was upstairs with a sea view, king bed, brand new mattress, hand made cedar hardwood furnishing, air conditioning, ceiling fan, color cable television, direct dial telephone, furnished verandah overlooking the ocean, private bathroom with granite top sink and floor to ceiling ceramic tiles. It is a lovely superior room.

We have also checked our housekeeping log. Your sheets were changed every other day as per our policy. Towels were replaced daily in your room, when the used ones were found. If towels are taken to the pool or beach and are not found in the room during maid service, they are replaced when the used ones are returned. The statement that your sheets were not changed in 11 days is untrue. If it was true, it seems strange to wait 2 months to advise the hotel about not having your sheets changed when it would be a very simple matter to mention it during your stay to either your travel rep or our friendly staff.

Finally we do read the survey comments left by our guests, including yours, which stated that the staff was very friendly and overall you had a good holiday and enjoyed the nice excursions. Thank you again for your comments. We are glad to know you enjoyed your visit to Jamaica!

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Englewood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I am in the process of uploading my vacation pictures. I just returned from my "vacation" on Monday (July 26,2010). I will create I final review ASAP. I strongly advise that you wait to read my thorough and concise review before booking a room at this hotel...

I would not want any of you to be as shocked and disappointed as my sister and I were. I will upload my pictures (approximately 25 pictures) and create my final review ASAP. My pictures are accurate and will shed light to sort of enviroment you should expect on your vacation.

P.S. Since the price was reasonable, I was not expecting a "high-class" hotel. However, there were SEVERAL major disappointments.. I will go into more detail in my next review. Anyway, my pictures will explain it all. The only bright side of this trip was that the staff was wonderful. They were friendly and worked very hard to make the best of the hotel's negligence.

I also plan on creating a review on all Trip Advisory websites so that all can be informed.

All I can say is that "pictures tell a thousand words.."

I am willing to speak with anyone who would like further information as well.

• Stayed July 2010
5 Thank relaxedvaca
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I read all the reviews and knew to select ocean view and AC this time of year. The hotel is 100% booked most of the year, so changes are hard to do once you arrive. That said, I loved the fact that it never seemed crowded at the pool or sunbathing areas. I made friends with the folks i saw on a regular basis and got tips from the ones that come to Samsara regularly.

IF you want generic resort entertainment and loud music at the pool and beach...stay away. This place is for the vacationer who wants peace, comfort and quiet. I got back from a wedding at Couples Negril and could not wait for the following day to be laid back Samsar style. Also managed to leave my key in the door one night and it was there the next morning. Massages are phenomenal and the staff overall are lovely!

Snorkeling and diving off the cliffs into the water was super cool! I cannot wait to comeback! and the OCEAN side of the resort looks IDENTICAL to the pictures online.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank SingleGalTravel73
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

the pictures on the computer look nothing like the place. its not a resort, its a hotel. its a real hippie place.. we had a gardview room, when we asked for a upgrade they didnt accomadate us. no one cleaned our room. The place was a dump. No air conditioning in the room unless paid for.. That is just being cheap. the carribean is hot so why wouldnt air conditioning be included.. the all inclusive menu does not include top shelf liqour, i was so disgusted with this hotel i checked out after one night. the staff didnt seem to care that we left four days early,, i would never recommed this hotel to anyone. The pictures on the computer look beautiful. Samsara is disgusting. Legends is alot nice. Never stay here. its a waste of money and a vacation

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank piscesgirl307
NegrilhotelsManager, Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thanks for your post. I’d be happy to clarify your issues. Your booking was for a standard room with ceiling fan, and therefore this is the room in which you were accommodated. The majority of our rooms are in fact air-conditioned. We have a few standard rooms with ceiling fan that are offered at a very economical price for budget minded travelers. They are clearly advertised as non-air conditioned rooms.

At the time of booking, guests have the opportunity to choose different room types. If a client chooses a standard room, then accordingly that is the room assigned. Upon arrival if a client changes their mind and decides to upgrade, naturally there is a charge for a higher category than the one originally booked. The ability to upgrade however is based on availability. At the time of your stay, the superior rooms were fully booked.

In reference to your statement that your room was not cleaned, if you only stayed one night you would not receive the normal daily maid service. Unfortunately this discredits our hardworking team of friendly housekeepers who do an excellent job keeping our rooms clean each day.

We do not and never have advertised top shelf liquor in our all-inclusive plan. It is unfortunate that you may have overlooked our very accurate descriptions of what is and isn’t included, which may have contributed to your misunderstanding.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Jamaica and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Edegem, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Well, I'll start with the one good point: the food is not that bad. I didn't get sick, and it tasted quite OK. Don't expect a lot of choice or variety, but good old Jamaican style food.
Oh, and the diving school next to the hotel is excellent!
But then, I don't know how to describe the rest of the hotel... We started out in a room where there were holes in the mosquito nets on the windows, there were holes in the ceiling, no good lock on the door, not even to mention the dirty outside space...
After some complaining done by traveler agent (they wouldn't listen to us), we were moved to a better room...
We didn't receive any clean sheets in our 12 day stay. I can tell you, in a hot climate, it sucks! Oh, and we only received fresh towels (all the towels, sometimes we only got 1) when we left a tip on the bed for the maid.
There was even one occasion where the 'owner' entered the room, unannounced, to see if a chair fitted in the room! No excuse, even no explanation to who he was or what he was doing!! Just walked in while my partner was in the bathroom!
Some of the staff is friendly, but there is one girl walking around that roles her eyes when you order a drink, and really looks down on you! The real holiday experience!
Don't believe the pictures on their website, the whole hotel is old and in desperate need of a renovation. Everything is rusty and not very clean...
So, if you like spending a lot of money and get little in return, go to Samsara :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Siri0408
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your statements so that readers of this forum can have a fair view from both sides. Public online forums are good platforms for sharing useful information to fellow travelers; however they can also be used to spread misinformation that is either incorrect or out of date.

The information contained in your post caused us some confusion as we had no recent recollection of the events you describe. Nor did the descriptions correspond with our usual level of customer service and hotel procedures. Fortunately you included photographs which provided clues to this mystery. The picture hanging on the wall in one of your photographs reveals that you did not stay here for more than a year, possibly more.

These pictures were replaced more than a year ago during our major property renovation during which all the guest rooms, bathrooms, etc. were fully renovated. This decision to post outdated information does not lend credibility to the other claims in your review and does a disservice to our hardworking staff who are committed to providing a high level of friendly and professional customer service.

Thank you for your post. We encourage you to visit Samsara again soon for an up-to-date experience!