“Won't do it again”

Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Negril
SaintLouis, MO
“Won't do it again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2005

Because of the effects of Wilma and the efforts of SOME of the staff, I won't be too harsh on Samsara. We booked our trip last minute and with intentions of diving. Wilma aside, Negril is not in my opinon a "dive destination". Unfortunately, even walking in Negril is difficult. NO sidewalks to speak of (and lots of fast traffic) and when there is a bit of room, the
locals are like buzzards. Samasara is a 2star at best and that's under good conditions. If you do go, I would not recommend the Garden rooms. Yes they are private and the garden IS beautiful, but crossing the street to the beachside complex is a feat! I'd freak out if I was there with my kids.

I quickly concluded that all the male staff were afiable and engaging and the females were CRANKS. At first I thought it was my imagination. But after a day or two my wife concurred. I will spare you the details, but my advice to the proprietors of Samsara would be for them to let Darren, Dewayne, Johnnie, Craig and Marlin tutor the gals on staff about how to
smile while communicating and making a bit of an effort to help guests.
There were several silly little rules such as being required to return the remote for the TV the night before check-out. And here's a good one: when I was checking out, I tried to buy a postcard and the GIRL on the desk was mifffed at me for requesting to put it on my bill. I would have happily paid for it in cash and separately, but there was no call for her to be rude.

In summation, if you want to go to Jamaica cheap, and stay in a resort that has a fun shoreline and a pretty good bar, Samsara might be your place.
But I have traveled enough to know that I can get all that and much more and not have to deal with the attitudes. It feels really strange complaining about women because I nearly always get along with men and women. Maybe they were all just having a very bad week.

13 Thank doctormac83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
China Spring Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2005

Samara is nothing posh, but a beautiful location, clean rooms, but we got a digital music player and fishing pole stolen from the room. Most all people were wonderful. We brought some gifts like hot wheels cars and black barbie dolls to give to brighten people up and it made a big impression. The people are very poor with mostly tourists to make their living from. We also brought shoes and school supplies along with childrens books. The all-age school is on the way into Negril from Samsara. If you can afford to go to Jamaica, you can afford to help ease some poverty there. Check the rich American attitude at the airport. Treat people with respect and you will get it back. I would go back, but get a room on the beach for less money.

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank TexasTeej
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

We just came back from Jamaica on Friday, September 30, 2005. We originally booked the Samsara for 4 days . . . thought we would try the cliffs for snorkling. It took 3 rooms before we could find one we would even spend the night in!! We booked the room with air conditioning and when we got there, they started tacking on all kind of fees. The coral was dead and no fishes. The state of the hotel is rundown and no one is repairing or grooming the grounds. Don't even ask to get a bucket of ice for the room! The next morning we called the Coco La Palm to try to get a beachside room!! They wouldn't have an opening until Wednesday morning. We told the folks at Samsara we were not happy with their accomidations and that we would like a refund for the last two days of our stay; they said no! We did get back the $15 a night for the a/c but that was all they would do for us.
I have pictures I'll share with anyone who wants to see them. NURSEWERA@SBCGLOBAL.NET
We have traveled all through Europe and the Caribbean and this was a real DUMP!! Stay on the beach at Coco La Palm, Rm 732!! They are always "grooming" the grounds, cleaning, and repairing.
There is a "special" advertised through WorryFree Vacations, featuring Coco and Samsara at the same price . . . no comparison!!

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2005

Our stay was relaxing. We traveled with family and friends - there were 8 in our group. We found the accomodations decent and any inconveniences that we encountered were quickly handled by DARRON, Jean - of housekeeping, the Gardener, Sabrina and DeWayne the waiter.

The personnel at he front desk were sometimes friendly; always cordial - there was always a security guard at the front entrance to help us, to answer any questions about side-trips or places to eat as well as helping to call for transportation. We recommend HOTEL SAM-SARA and would love to visit again.

If you are looking for peace and quiet and simplicity; this is just the place. You can jump off the 12-15 foot cliffs or walk down the steps to the ocean; snorkelling and scuba is readily available and offers quite a site.

The hotel has arrangements for a free-shuttle once a day at a set time; back & forth to THE LEGENDS hotel/restaurant so you could visit the beach and walk in the sand and endure vendors and others offering sailboating, jet-skiing, parasailing, catamarands, selling fresh fruit or braiding your hair, etc. While there you had many other resturants and shops in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2005

Samsara is a hotel for those who want to be in Negril but away from the hype of the main strip. The atmosphere on the cliffs at night is more amazing than words can describe. This is one of the most beautiful locations on earth. We stayed in a garden-side villa, which is basic. We found the absence of air conditioning somewhat hard to manage - however that is probably because we are spoilt being so used to it at home. I would recommend an ocean-side room if air conditioning is a must.

To be honest, who wants to stay in their room when there is so much to experience in Negril. It is easy to lay around and soak in the excuisite surroundings, sip on frozen cocktails, listen to live reggae, it's like heaven - but I urge you to get out and look around, speak to the people - hire a moped and cruise up to the end of the cliffs, down to the strip and as far as your hearts content - you will see so much on the way and end up in Montego Bay.

For those on a budget who want to be slightly away from the hype - Samsara is perfect.

• Stayed August 2005
17 Thank Sandy-WorldTraveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2005

I stayed at Samsara Cliffs Hotel from August 15-23. It was my first visit to Negril and I absolutely loved Negril and Samsara. My room was clean, spacious, and the view of the Caribbean Sea and the cliffs was awsome. The sunsets- also awsome. The swimming pool was beautiful and well maintained.

I have only 3 negatives regarding Samsara - the food was ok, could have been better; the drinks tasted watered down, not enought liquor, too much ice; when I checked in I was told that I had to pay $50 extra for air conditioning. Warning to future guests!! When you or your travel agent books Samsara be sure to request air conditioning in your room. If not, the ceiling fan does not do a good job of cooling off the room.

The staff at the front desk, the restaurant, and the bartender are all friendly, courteous and professional. I highly recommend Samara. It is an underrated gem of a hotel. I plan to visit Negril again in August 2006, and not doubt about it, I will be staying at Samara.

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank Maureen B
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

Samsara is perfect for the budget traveler. If you are expecting something in comparison to Sandals it will be a rude awakening. It is the bare essentials. But for me that is fine, I wouldn't be able to experience Jamaica any other way.

The staff were VERY kind and helpful. They want to help you and were happy to do so. A gardener asked if we wanted him to get a coconut for us. We don't even like coconut but he was so happy to run up the tree and then chop the top off for us that we couldn't burst his bubble. The girls at the front desk, not so much, but they got their job done.

The sunsets were incredible. And the pictures I have posted are REAL... I took them myself. So, you can see how beautiful it is at the hotel.

Due to hurrican Dennis I spent a lot of time at the hotel and got to know the staff and other guests, to whom I have kept in contact with. My experience was so great that I am planning on going back in November.

• Stayed July 2005