“Sun-sational view!”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Gravois Mills, Missouri
Reviewed October 3, 2005

Our stay was relaxing. We traveled with family and friends - there were 8 in our group. We found the accomodations decent and any inconveniences that we encountered were quickly handled by DARRON, Jean - of housekeeping, the Gardener, Sabrina and DeWayne the waiter.

The personnel at he front desk were sometimes friendly; always cordial - there was always a security guard at the front entrance to help us, to answer any questions about side-trips or places to eat as well as helping to call for transportation. We recommend HOTEL SAM-SARA and would love to visit again.

If you are looking for peace and quiet and simplicity; this is just the place. You can jump off the 12-15 foot cliffs or walk down the steps to the ocean; snorkelling and scuba is readily available and offers quite a site.

The hotel has arrangements for a free-shuttle once a day at a set time; back & forth to THE LEGENDS hotel/restaurant so you could visit the beach and walk in the sand and endure vendors and others offering sailboating, jet-skiing, parasailing, catamarands, selling fresh fruit or braiding your hair, etc. While there you had many other resturants and shops in walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 27, 2005

Samsara is a hotel for those who want to be in Negril but away from the hype of the main strip. The atmosphere on the cliffs at night is more amazing than words can describe. This is one of the most beautiful locations on earth. We stayed in a garden-side villa, which is basic. We found the absence of air conditioning somewhat hard to manage - however that is probably because we are spoilt being so used to it at home. I would recommend an ocean-side room if air conditioning is a must.

To be honest, who wants to stay in their room when there is so much to experience in Negril. It is easy to lay around and soak in the excuisite surroundings, sip on frozen cocktails, listen to live reggae, it's like heaven - but I urge you to get out and look around, speak to the people - hire a moped and cruise up to the end of the cliffs, down to the strip and as far as your hearts content - you will see so much on the way and end up in Montego Bay.

For those on a budget who want to be slightly away from the hype - Samsara is perfect.

• Stayed: August 2005
17  Thank Sandy-WorldTraveler
Reviewed September 6, 2005

I stayed at Samsara Cliffs Hotel from August 15-23. It was my first visit to Negril and I absolutely loved Negril and Samsara. My room was clean, spacious, and the view of the Caribbean Sea and the cliffs was awsome. The sunsets- also awsome. The swimming pool was beautiful and well maintained.

I have only 3 negatives regarding Samsara - the food was ok, could have been better; the drinks tasted watered down, not enought liquor, too much ice; when I checked in I was told that I had to pay $50 extra for air conditioning. Warning to future guests!! When you or your travel agent books Samsara be sure to request air conditioning in your room. If not, the ceiling fan does not do a good job of cooling off the room.

The staff at the front desk, the restaurant, and the bartender are all friendly, courteous and professional. I highly recommend Samara. It is an underrated gem of a hotel. I plan to visit Negril again in August 2006, and not doubt about it, I will be staying at Samara.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Samsara is perfect for the budget traveler. If you are expecting something in comparison to Sandals it will be a rude awakening. It is the bare essentials. But for me that is fine, I wouldn't be able to experience Jamaica any other way.

The staff were VERY kind and helpful. They want to help you and were happy to do so. A gardener asked if we wanted him to get a coconut for us. We don't even like coconut but he was so happy to run up the tree and then chop the top off for us that we couldn't burst his bubble. The girls at the front desk, not so much, but they got their job done.

The sunsets were incredible. And the pictures I have posted are REAL... I took them myself. So, you can see how beautiful it is at the hotel.

Due to hurrican Dennis I spent a lot of time at the hotel and got to know the staff and other guests, to whom I have kept in contact with. My experience was so great that I am planning on going back in November.

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank Sendnuluv
england uk
Reviewed July 9, 2005

Hello all.

I don't want to put anybody off. I was dreading the holiday after reading the reviews, It was my second time in Negril but I probably won't choose Samsara again...Reason!!! We burned incense to help rid the mosquito's who bite like mad.We accidently burned the TV with an incense stick, causing a few minor superficial holes to the top of the TV. Samsara charged us $200 US for a new TV when I'm sure the damage could have been smoothed over, we would not have minded paying for repairs. We were very short on cash and asked if we could pay upon return to England. We were treated like criminals, they said they would contact the tour operator and the police and if need be send us home. We had the support of our rep but there was nothing she could do. My mother had to fax credit card details as if we had used our money we would have been broke. All I would say is be very careful not to damage anything.

The all inclusive deal is the best option, the cocktails are lush and the scenery beautiful. You will need to request air conditioning as the huts are very hot but lovely. We stayed at the back which was very private. Some staff can be a little abrupt but the majority are ok. Barker (resident driver) is lovely but barter a price beforehand. Marlon (barman) is very friendly as is dwayne the night security guard. Make sure you pay a visit to legends.

All in all Samsara is a lovely place if you don't damage anything! It was still a very enjoyable experience. Negril is wicked!!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

This was our 2nd time at Samsara. One piece of advice is to just book the trip thru Samsara that way you get the room you want. We went thru a travel agency & really didn't save any money. Got in room #117 which is right next to the bar. Really loud, but if you like that stay in that room. Actually the room itself was probably one of the nicer ones. They finally moved us to #204 a couple of days later and we were happy. I like rooms in the block starting with #101 & 201. We snorkeled everyday, which is something you can't beat at Samsara. Bring your own gear too. Will not do the A/I plan next time. No more Red Stripes on the A/I, and it seems like the meals were not as good this time. It will feed you though and lunch was still pretty good. Was happy to see that Ron was still working the bar. If they had alot of damage from Ivan it is hard to tell, except over by the tennis courts, which no one ever plays on. It's hard for me to say bad things about Samsara. You get what you pay for. I think the staff is wonderful. And they did work hard to get us into a quieter room. Two thumbs up for them! We always bring extra towels and a portable cooler. Ice an be bought at either the Hi-Lo or M&L (closer but more expensive). Walking distance to 3Dives which is the best jerk chicken around. Still a good baragin for the price. Don't be afraid of negative reviews. Even Sandals gets them. Just go!

Stayed: May 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2005

The first time we visited Negril, many years ago, we also found the lodging at Samsara to be a bit neglectful, but when put in perspective, (after all, this is a third world country) we found everything more than good. The rooms, though small, are kept spotless , given what the staff are able to do... and the staff will bend over backward to do what they can. Bugs? Bring a can of Raid and spray the exterior after the maid leaves. After all, you are in the tropics. You want pampering? Hit Sandals... no ants, but for the price of a can of bugkiller you will pay the BIG bucks. I guess, in the overall scheme of things, if you expect Beverly Hills, this won't do. But, if you want
a clean room, an absolutely beautiful view, and dedicated staff, give it a try!

• Stayed: April 2005