“Fun trip with wife and grandmas!”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed at Samsara Cliffs Resort and loved jumping into the sea. The privacy of the resort was comfortable and safe. We stayed on the garden side the first night, but it was too hot in the evening for us. The staff was very accommodating and we were able to move to the cliff side for the next and remainder of our week long visit... we needed the AC. The staff was very kind and just wanted everyone to have a good time. It was a great trip for me, my wife, 1 year old son, and two grandmas! Thanks Samsara!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chris W
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you! It was a pleasure having you and your family :) Glad you got to experience, both our garden and ocean view rooms. Our garden view rooms are great for travelers on a budget, but we understand the importance of offering variety and you just can't beat our superior ocean view rooms. Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff. We will make sure and pass on the positive feedback; they appreciate it so much.
See you again soon,
One love

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We just returned from our third stay at Samsara. The hotel has a fantastic location on the cliffs of Negril. About 20 yards from our room you can jump in the water (or climb down a short ladder) into a great swim or snorkel area. Not sure that you can find a better sunset anywhere. There is no beach but they do have a free shuttle to their other property on 7 mile beach. There is a nice pool and a HOT (just how I like it) whirlpool.

Folks you are not going to find a huge selection of food at a small resort in Negril (maybe 40 units). However we did find the food and service to be very good at their restaurant above the bar. The restaurant also has a great view of the ocean and pool area.

You can pay by the meal or select their all inclusive plan. If you will not be drinking a lot I would suggest not going all inclusive. Then you can sample some of the other great places in the area and also have some meals there.

At this property there are no peddlers and we felt quite secure. (I would lock the doors and windows at night just like I would at home). The first person you will see when you arrive is Peter the security officer. The road by the entrance is somewhat dangerous but he is constantly watching for your safety. He knows everything about the area and is very friendly and helpful. Feel free to ask him any questions (and don't forget a tip if you get great service like we did).

This property gets some mixed reviews. Here is the deal, this is not a 5 star mega resort and is not located in Cancun or Montego Bay.....if that is what you want you probably will have some complaints. It IS a special and unique place on god's earth with reasonable comforts, exceptional views, good swimming/snorkeling, good food, reasonable rates, and there are places to explore in the area.

I don't really have any complaints and we do plan on returning. It is great as is but here are some "wish list" items....room mini refrigerator, upgrade room TV, insulated ice bucket in room, plumbing and water pressure could stand some attention, and more towels.

Room Tip: We like the "superior rooms" with AC.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Glenn L

Thanks so much for your review and for returning for your third visit! We value all our guests but out repeaters hold a special place in our hearts. Glad you made it down to Legends on the free shuttle, always good to mix it up, that's why we offer both options. Also we appreciate your compliments on the food, along with the view. There is nothing like enjoying three meals a day with a perfect view of the Caribbean Sea.
You are absolutely right, no peddlers, the hotel is 100% private. What's funny is we are constantly hearing that our hotel is not a 5 star hotel, when it is clearly advertised as a 3 star. Not to worry though, we take the comparison as a compliment.
Something to look forward to on your next trip, there will be brand new 39" flat screen TVs in every room. They have been ordered and we can't wait to offer them to all our guests.
See you again soon,
One love

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I recently spent a week at this resort and was ready to leave by day 4. The hour ride to samsara from Montego Bay felt unsafe, and the driver makes a "fruit stop" on the way just so you will buy something at their friends stand. This is the first attempt for someone to solicit drugs. The cliffs are amazing and the ocean beautiful, but the rooms are garbage. Comparable to a low budget "inn". It looks like the place was built back in the late 70's and never got a face lift. The beds feel like they are filled with hay, the air conditioning you pay extra for does not work, the roaches are prevalent, and you are only allowed two towels that are managed like a North Korean camp. The drinks were ok, the free drinks from the all inclusive we're select drinks and red strip beer only. The food was not awful however, it gets old and the taste of baked beans at 8am is not that great. And repetitive. The free shuttles to Legends go one time a day and they have a small portion of beach that is filled with locals begging to sell you something,including drugs. You CANT go anywhere without someone trying to sell you drugs! The staff were good and tried to be helpful but they can only do so much. If you book events ahead of time, confirm you have dates and receipts because our travel guide Alisa left us hanging twice. Multiple couples got hosed out of their trips because she failed to schedule pick ups for them. When the staff tried to help she was no where to be located and wouldn't answer her phone. The crossing guard Peter is also an interesting character. Think of him as a shady middle man who attempts to get you to pick his cabs because he gets a cut. He, along with everyone else, also solicit drugs all the time. I would NOT bring children or stay here if you don't want to be around that kind of atmosphere. You can also find everything on your own and negotiate for far cheaper than this joke of a middle man would jip you for. If your thinking about renting a car, DONT! The drivers are crazy and dangerous, there are no laws enforced.

Room Tip: The rooms are all garbage, but if you must select an ocean room with air conditioning.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Nope U
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thank you for your thoughtful review and constructive feedback. Yes the snorkeling at Samsara is awesome and we’re glad you enjoyed that! We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy the full extent of your stay with us. In our opinion your description of the accommodations is exaggerated to say the least, and unhelpful to other travelers. We respect that your expectations were not met but the vast majority of our clients’ reviews of our facilities do not agree with yours. Our recent renovations were recognized in 2013 by Travelocity’s award of excellence. It should be noted as well that the travel guide Alisa is not employed by the hotel and her actions are beyond the scope of our responsibility. We do however recognize your frustration and will pass on this information to her employers to avoid a similar encounter with other visitors. For the benefit of valued readers of this forum, the crossing guard you mentioned has been disciplined and further investigation is ongoing. Rest assured we have taken all necessary steps to insure that our staff behave in a professional manner at all times. It may be of interest to other readers that we have many families with children who do stay with us at both Samsara and Legends, returning year after year as satisfied repeat customers. We do appreciate your positive comments about the quality of our meals, and the friendly helpful staff who will be pleased to hear this praise. Thanks again for visit and hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed at Samsara resort for four days, let's just say four days too long. Samsara cliffs were amazing I'm not big on jumping off them but are definitely worth it if you do. The rooms were average, toilet ran constantly, never had a clean sheet or pillow case, but that was the least of my worries as I have to think ( I dont change my sheets or pillow cases at home everyday) please note you'll have to keep a water bottle by your side if you get thirsty throughout the night due to nothing being available once the front desk closes at 11pm and doesn't open until 8am.

While the woman staff were more than helpful, respectfull and welcoming, the day guard Peter made my stay like hell. He begged and stalked me a majority of my stay to sneak away with him to the hills, and to go out to the town ect. Peter even went through the trouble of calling my room late at night, after all of my rejections I thought the headache was over. Sad to say I was wrong I was robbed while sleeping the night before I left and I believe that it was him or someone he personally knew. Someone climbed through our 2nd floor balcony window and took my valuables (ie. The last of our money, electronics,personal items), and walked right out my room leaving the door wide open. Did I mention all while I was sleeping? There really was no one around to help after this discovery which was quite disappointing, the only person who was willing to help was Luther which is the guy in charge of the operation department. Luther did all that was in his power (looking at video footage, and calling the police who did NOTHING). What was supposed to be a vacation turned into a nightmare,so you better believe I wanted to make others aware and will continue to do so if this gets flagged. I'll close this with a word of advice do not I repeat do not trust Peter one bit he is a sneaky shady person, lock all doors and windows at all times, and have a back up plan in case this happens to you. (Jamaica big problem)

• Stayed: May 2014
20  Thank charmin_stud

Thank you for your review. As you stayed in the same room as the other reviewer from Des Moines, Iowa and are referring to the same visit to our hotel, we submit a duplicate response. We thank you for stay with us.

We are sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations, despite our best efforts and intentions. It is noteworthy that our housekeeping team consistently receives very high marks for their attentive service and cleaning of rooms so this comment was surprising. Furthermore we could not substantiate the claim concerning the toilet as it was found to be working correctly and not in need of repair. For the benefit of other readers, we have taken the necessary steps to insure encounters with our staff members are always professional. The individual named in your review has been disciplined and is undergoing further investigation. As for the items that went missing, we encourage our guests to take the same normal precautions they do at home such as locking doors and windows at night, securing valuables in a safety deposit box, and exercising common sense in deciding with whom they fraternize. Thank you for recognizing most of our friendly and helpful staff. We will certainly pass on your kind comments. We hope you were able to take home some positive memories of your time in Jamaica and hope that you will consider us again for your next visit to Negril.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My wife and I got married at Samsara in 2008, and has been visiting ever since. Our garden charm apartment is like non other, tucked away across the street from the ocean, in a lush garden of bougainvilleas and hibiscus bloom. There is no telephone, just a TV, a true essence of serenity. We are from the city of light, Las Vegas, and found that there is no better escape than this place. The staffs are helpful and friendly, from crossing guard, front desk to bartender. This remain one of our favorite place to visit, for years to come.

Room Tip: The rooms are average, need a bit of touch up paint, but the setback location is priceless.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank housebytherock
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

How great to see you trip report! Thank you for such kind words, it was very nice to see you at Samsara again. We know how you love the gardens and your charming cottage on the garden side in our little tropical oasis. It feels very meaningful to have such a special place in your hearts, from your wedding in 2008 until now and hopefully for years to come. We'll pass on your positive comments to the staff. They really are our greatest asset. Hope you're enjoying a fun summer. Looking forward to welcoming you back next year! Let us know if you have any special requests! One love!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Samsara Cliffs hotel/resort to attend a wedding which was happening at a more expensive resort in Negril. We purchased a groupon deal with the expectation that we get what we pay for. I was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the hotel. First, I must say the hotel staff are very nice and accomodating. Our room was ready upon arrival. We asked for a room with double beds and to my surprise the beds were huge. However, if like me, you require a plush mattress then you will be disappointed. The bathroom was very clean and evident that it had been recently remodeled. We didn't purchase the all inclusive package as we knew we wouldn't fully take advantage of it. The hotel restaurant served decent food although not a vast menu selection (make sure you order the brown stew fish- delish). Although we werent on the beach, the cliffs were nice and you could access the water via ladders from the cliffs. The hotel was not crowded and everyone else staying there seemed pleasant and friendly. The only downside to this hotel is that towel service is not consistent. We had to call to request new towels a couple of times. Also, they don't provide towel service for the beach, so you should bring your own beach towels. But if you are looking for a clean, safe affordable hotel in Negril, then the Samsara is your place.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Angela O

Dear Angela,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! We're glad to know that you were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the hotel! Yes we have recently renovated most of our bathrooms, and have many more exciting projects on our 'to do' list. We definitely recommend Georgia's brown-stew fish which is a traditional mouthwatering Jamaican recipe not to be missed. Happy you liked it! All in all it sounds like you enjoyed your stay in Negril at Samsara, the friendliest hotel in town! Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, we appreciate the high marks! Hope to welcome you again in the near future! Wishing you the best of everything!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My sister and I bought a Groupon deal and had an amazing time. The view is amazing and it is very peaceful. The staff is great and very friendly. They always had a smile on their faces and were ready to talk or listen to you whenever. The buffet style food was very good which surprised me. I will definitely come back to SamSara and will recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Aleks K

Hey, thank you for such an amazing review so simply put and to the point! We're happy you were pleased with the Groupon deal you and your sister purchased for your vacation at Samsara. We appreciate your positive feedback concerning our friendly staff and tasty home-cooked food. It also is very nice of you to recommend us to those readers who are considering where to stay in Jamaica. We thank you for choosing Samsara and hope you will come back and see us soon! Irie!