“Amazing honeymoon!”

Ranked #33 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Annapolis, MD
“Amazing honeymoon!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This resort was fantastic. The resort was a lot more authentic than the typical sandals, riu or Marriott resorts. Smaller resort which was nice. The staff was excellent as we got to know them all throughout the week. The cliffs is definitely the place to be in Negril. less bustle and more relaxing. If you want to go out and get rowdy, the 7 mile beach was a 5$ cab ride or free shuttle at certain times of the day from the Samsara to Legends (sister resort).

Food was okay, nothing spectacular but more convenient for breakfast and when you didn't want to go out. The resort is within walking distance to ciao, 3 dive jerk chicken, pressleys and possibly ricks café. (we walked to ricks but it took around 20 minutes).

The cliffs are beautiful, clear water, snorkeling equipment can be borrowed from the front desk. Great resort all around.

Room Tip: Although the small huts on stilts are very sweet looking. Do not take them. They do not have air c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Capucine P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my two stays here, once in the Samsara and once in their sister resort on the beach "legends"
Kind and helpful staff, brilliant sunsets, plenty of booze a flowing.. and very decent utilities.. which is always a nice bonus when staying at the beach...
Will be back soon!

i particularly likes the involvement of the owners, always around making sure all the guests are in a "happy place" and everything runs smoothly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank stevensham
London
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I came back from the Samsara resort just under a week ago and i must say that it was a VERY DISAPPOINTING stay.
Firstly the hotel is incredibly basic. The rooms are very small and look nothing like they do in the pictures. The furnishings are shabby and dated and the room is poorly lit. The bathrooms do not have a hairdryer and there is no rack on the balcony to hang your wet things to dry, there is also no laundry facility available and the front desk refused to give us any extra towels. All these little things became very frustrating throughout our week stay.

Me and my friends (a party of 3) asked to move rooms as we were so unsatisfied with the room we were given, despite what they advertise there is no way that 3 adults can comfortably occupy one of the twin rooms for a 7 night stay! We were firstly told that there was nothing else available but shortly after we requested to speak to the manager a room quickly became free (LOL) We were finally moved to a cottage which was far more spacious and comfortable, but still very poorly lit and basicly furnished.

The bed in this cottage had bugs as both me and friend who shared a bed came back covered in very itchy raised red spots all over our bodies, which still have not cleared! This completely ruined our stay and will ensure that we never return to the Samsara.

We selected the B&B option. The food was tasty but repetitive and very limited which made breakfast time very boring. I would strongly recommend the Pressa One Love Resturant (across the street near the shop) for tasty authentic fresh food at a very good price! (The ackee and saltfish there is delicious!) I did have dinner at the hotel once during my stay which I must say was reasonably priced and very lovely.

Overall my experience in this hotel was very poor. It is a no thrills resort with little to offer. Having the option to use the beach at the sister resort Legends meant that luckily we were able to spend most of our time away from the Samsara.

On a brighter note if you enjoy diving this resort is ideal and it does have some lovely views.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Simone M
NegrilhotelsManager, Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you very much for passing on this information. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. A pest control expert was called to look into your concerns on July 6, 2013. They have advised us that we do not have that problem in Jamaica, however it is on occasion carried by travelers. Rest assured we are taking the matter very seriously. Looking forward to serving you again in the future.
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I took our 1-year-old son with us on this trip. After reading the following review we decided on Samsara Cliffs Resort:

The ride from the airport wasn't bad at all in the mini bus. We were a bit concerned it would be dangerous without a child seat and the rough Jamaican roads. The roads weren't that rough and the bus was fine.

The only hiccup in our trip really was upon arrival. We arrived at 11am and didn't anticipate having to wait until 3pm for our room. Our son couldn't have his noon-time nap and was very cranky all afternoon which made for a rough day.

As most of the other other reviews say, this is a 3-star resort, so your expectations should be adjusted accordingly. You'll find tiles missing in the pool and the furniture a bit worn. I thought our room was pretty nice though, far exceeding the Motel 6 and Super 8 that I've recently stayed in. We had an ocean view on the ground floor and nice little deck where we could sit in the evening after the boy had gone to bed and enjoy some drinks, cigars, and relax. The air conditioning kept the room very nice and cool.

As everyone else is saying, don't get the all-inclusive. The drinks are watered down and the all-inclusive meals are terrible. It's simply not worth the disappointment. The irony is that Samsara has a Jamaican menu that is not part of the all-inclusive and the food was the best we had of any restaurant we visited. Their jerk chicken and escoveitched fish was amazing! I thought their jerk chicken was better than 3-Dives which is supposed to be the best in Negril. Meh. There's a restaurant called Pablo's across the street that serves a wonderful Jamaican breakfast. We ate there every morning.

I'm not a huge fan of the beach, so the cliffs were awesome. And if you love snorkelling, you'll find some of the best snorkelling as soon as you enter the water. The cliffs are teaming with life. I went for a couple of scuba dives during our tip and saw far less than I did snorkelling. There was a little knee deep pool which was perfect for our son to play around in as well as a deeper pool that my wife enjoyed.

Our only regret is that we drank the crummy, expensive drinks at Samsara for most of the trip and only discovered toward the end the quality rum and mix at the store across the street from the resort.

Room Tip: First floor ocean view was convenient with a kid
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brad T
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This holiday package was an all inc, and planned by me and my cousin, for my mothers 50th birthday. We have family in jamaica but did not want to intrude, so chose The samsara through an online travel company sunmaster whom we booked with. we was told we would have air conditioning which we did not we had these fans that were pointless and immediately the mosquito's attacked us. The room did not have mosquito nets even. we complained to the manager and was told that we could be moved to an ac room for an extra 30 dollars pp pn which was ludicrous so we were forced to stay in the garden room we had. The biting was so survere that from the second day we had to find the local pharmacy to treat the very swollen and blistering bites that covered my mums and younger cousins legs and arms i was even bitten on my lips and head we spent a small fortune. it became unbearable to sleep as we would wake up with even more bites, although we had taken with us spray on repellent by deet, roll on repellent, and also bracelets we wore with repellent in them, plug in repellents, none of this stopped us from being attacked, every body we spoke to told us this should not be happening that the hotel should have ac or nets to protect us the staff did not even spary the room with repellent we started to have to demand for it to be done at least once a day when really it needed at least two sprays . this is a health hazzard at the samsara and very dangerous as upon returning to england my mum has been on a course of anti-biotics as all her bites blistered badly, and became infected, she will be scarrred for life there is no doubt it was a problem. When i finally did speak to the owner of samsara on the phone provided by the poorly trained recepetion young man, i was greeted by a very rude hostile older man in a phone call that was abusive from the start i dissputed an extra charge also that was added to my bill, that was later removed by the manager with him and he threatened to have us removed from the premises during the middle of the night if i did not pay the charge, which i told him was inhuman and dangerous we were 3 lady's in jamaica, to be kicked out at that time over a small charge that was wrongly added to my bill was insane, I told him about the way we had been attacked at his hotel by the mosquito's, and that we were in pain, and had the worst time ever in this so called resort, and that i don't know how he could call this infested place a resort' when its a danger to health, he just laughed at me and said that if i had not paid the charge in 5 minutes we would be thrown out, and made a pointless remark about football. and ended the call, i was livid,also at reception at the time was 2 young lady's, very upset and had not long arrived they were demanding to be moved to a different room, because they too had been badly bitten and that they like us were finding tons of mosquito's and dead ones the next day with tons of wings everywhere,and cockroaches, i had mosquito's in my bed just every where we have photo's too, of both the mosquito's that savaged on us, and the bite marks they left behind, it was a holiday from hell and all i do is apologise every day since we have been back to england to my mum who's birthday was ruined while she got eaten alive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Farisha F

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Samsara is an incredible deal for the beautiful surroundings and friendliest staff possible! This resort is very clean which is very important for me...it is small which I really like because you interact with all the other guests...kinda like visiting your friend's home and chillin together without any of the work! If you want luxury and amenities then this may not be the place for you, but if you want relaxation, no worries and comfort then by all means come to Samsara for your vacation. The views are amazing and the cliff diving is a blast! I honestly cannot say enough good about this place! I have been home a couple of weeks, and cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want a view request it and I would definitely get air conditioning!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christine C
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great locations. Loved the cliffs. Saw 3 dolphins one morning. Buffet was small, but very good. Some peolpe comment on limited options-enjoyed the smaller varity as we didn't over erat on this trip as we tend to at the larger resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for King size bed, second level or cottages. Not the ones closest to the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple