“Comfortable friendly place”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
“Comfortable friendly place”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Spent two weeks here and would return
Super clean rooms, very good staff 0 problems.
Room 201 closest to water, silent, large and a great bed for fantastic sleeps
Food was better than expected and good value. Great spot for cliff jumping which we did daily

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Davidhouston100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Seagrave, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

First trip to Jamaica. Family of 4. Dad Mom and two boys aged 12 and 14. We first arrived at a different 3 star resort that was a nightmare. Not at all what we had expected. The whole family was disappointed. We felt like our vacation was ruined. Called our Sun Wing rep for help and ended up at Samsara Cliffs. We were all so relieved when we arrived. We were greeted by Jenique at the desk, she made us feel welcome. She was also very helpful in solving some issues left over from our previous resort. The grounds were very tidy and spacious. The pool was very clean. The views are spectacular. We felt at home here, the staff was fantastic, always helpful and very polite. The food was good. Even my picky eater tried some new dishes that he enjoyed. We also tried the pizza from Ciao restaurant, it was delicious. The cliffs were a fabulous place to be. No one trying to solicit unwanted goods. The water was crystal clear. Great for snorkeling or just floating around. The cliffs were fun for jumping and not just for the kids.We had no trouble finding a quiet place to relax and enjoy the sun and sea. The other guests we met were all very very nice. There were guests of all different age groups. The bar was great. The kids even felt comfortable sitting at the bar. Sharona and Owayne were great. All the serving staff were excellent.
The only downside to our stay at Samsara was that it ended too soon.
Really hope to get back sometime soon.

Room Tip: We were in rm 211. The view was amazing, we could practically see the whole resort. The ocean view w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Rachael M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'll start by saying my wife and I have been to Jamaica many times (15 or so), got married in Jamaica two years ago, have been to most areas and lots of resorts, including all inclusives, condos, and huts on stilts. This time around we thought we'd mix it up a bit and stay 4 days at Breezes and 3 days on the cliffs at Samsara. We had visited the resort on other trips, and looked forward to a different kind of Jamaica experience, on the cliffs of Negril.

The good first: there are lots of chairs and lounges and such to use, and it was great to be in the actual town of Negril. Our room itself was good, if somewhat small. We got a stilt tower (at a significant upgrade cost). Great view, small as mentioned. The shower was outside, but that's okay. I'm afraid that's all the good.

The rest: The biggest mistake we made was choosing the "all inclusive" plan. Or should I say the "all exclusive" plan, as there seemed to be more exclusions than inclusions. We arrived at around noon, just in time for the all-inclusive buffet. All four choices. A salad. Mac and cheese. Fries. And small chicken sandwiches. I truly thought it was a joke, and that they were hiding the real food elsewhere. Sadly, it wasn't a joke, then or at any other meal. I mentioned we stayed for 3 days. We had the same lasagna for dinner twice. And we ate out and paid for a decent dinner the other night. Ironically, when we ate out it was at the restaurant across the street that is owned by the hotel but not included in the all-exclusive pricing. Nor was wine, which cost $5/glass, unless you went out and bought your own.

So, I get it: only domestic drinks, and we don't make wine in Jamaica. Cool. So after paying $100 for dinner at the restaurant owned by the resort but not included, we came back to the resort and I wanted an after-dinner drink. A rum cream.

Guess what? Rum cream is not included. WTF? Rum cream is not a domestic drink in Jamaica? Yes it is, sir, but it's not included. Why? I asked at the front desk, and was completely unsatisfied by the answer. It's just simply not included because it costs a bit more, and our friends at Samsara are cheap, that's why.

The owner or manager approached me the next day, having heard that I wasn't a happy camper. He explained that when his staff told him I wanted rum cream and was refused, it wasn't included because he didn't know it was a domestic drink. Uh huh. Further, he suggested that the fix wasn't to include it, but to be clearer on what's not included. Uh huh. Further, he said that when he told the bartender to give it to me if I wanted, she didn't want to, she refused him. Uh huh. However, I could get it if I wanted. Uh huh. I guess I just have to ask the right bartender.

Bottom line: we were made to feel like second-class citizens because we paid the absolute highest rate for the most expensive room and foolishly paid for all-inclusive. The food was pathetic, no choice and bland cooking, and repeated meals in three days. The drink selection was restrictive. The staff was not impressive. Again, because we were all inclusive I felt like they disregarded us. We weren't buying drinks with cash and therefore not tipping, and that's all that seemed to matter.

Oh, and the rocks are sharp and the ladders rusty. Have fun.

Room Tip: Best room: at a different resort.
6 Thank John C

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Altoona
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We just got back from first holiday trip to Jamaica. We snagged a great deal to the Samsara Cliffs resort. We were so pleased with the place BUT Samsara is not for everyone. With that disclaimer stated here is my review.

We stayed here for a 30th anniversary and was a little worried after reading the reviews. I emailed and called the resort to ask questions prior to booking and then before our arrival. So we had very little that hadn't been covered before arriving.

The resort is nestled on the Cliff side of Negril and might be a little more private than the beach-side. For us it was a perfect fit, because we enjoy the intimacy and when we desired more of the "Negril" experience we took the shuttle to Legends (the sister resort). We ventured off resort a few times and enjoyed the local fare.

Here is some highlights that might help you with your visit to Negril:

Pro: The place was clean and tidy.
Con: Hey it is a resort on the sea so the weather damage (and regular wear and tear) can be noticed on a few buildings/grounds/equipment. This didn't bother us--I rather thought it was part of Samsaras charm.
Pro: The staff was friendly and hard working
Con: If you needed something "other" they might not be able to get to it. Again the staff is harding working and you'll see them at 7:30 am busting their hump and you say goodnight to them at 10pm still working hard, so cut them some slack.
Pro: The food was tasty and interesting. I found some new things, that I am impressing people with back home. I found the All-inclusive worked for us and was a neat way to try new dishes.
Con: Selection might be limited for some peoples taste. If you aren't all-inclusive the cost can add up Quickly (but there are some alternative places within walking distance of the resort and TONS with a short taxi ride)
PRO: The views are breathtaking and will last forever,
Cons: Some rooms it is harder to see the water but just jump out of your room and you are front and center to some of the best sunsets of your life.
PRO: You will meet Tons of people There! I was alone when I wanted and when I wanted company I had many choices of people from all over the world and backgrounds. I will cherish meeting these people the rest of my life.
Con: You have to say good-bye :(
PRO: The resort is built into the cliffs and has a unique rustic stairway system to get to your room/cabin.
CON: If you are like me (low-vision) night time walking might pose a problem. Bring a flashlight for walking around after dark. I crashed and burned the first night and walked around with road rash the remainder of the holiday. We did , however came up with fun scenarios (besides I am a clutz and feel in the dark) on how I got my war-wounds.
PRO: Loved the Jamaican culture.
CON: For those who don't know the area is very 420 friendly. It might catch a few off guard. My hubby was a little shocked when he first smelt it-- but after awhile flowers, fruits, foods and "smoke" were kind of the culture of the area--no biggy.

I could go on and on --but I am only allowed so much space. Please contact me if you have any questions. I will be happy to share with you my experiences at Samsara. I am already looking to return....

4 Thank Moorepet
Walpole, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is not a place to go if you want the hustle & bustle, loud music & late nights. If you are looking for a nice relaxing place to sit back & enjoy the awesome cliff views, snorkel & just chill out, Samsara is place to go. The rooms are clean, the staff is very friendly, Jenique, Owayne, Sharona are some of the great staff just to name a few & the all inclusive food & drinks were terrific. Can't wait to go back again! One week is not enough!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the cliff side of the street with A/C, not accross the street. Great ocean views &...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bigstuff58
negril
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am going to miss going to the restaurant at Samsara in the day. As a local Negril business owner our family gets out on the weekends and experiences other local places. We loved the chicken fingers for the kids and the friendly staff at Samsara. So just a heads up to other locals in Negril don't head to Samsara for some fun.....but there is always Ciao Jamaica which is open for dinner, and is delicious.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sunnydays767
winterville
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I agree with the other reviewers, if you want a resort with all of the bells and whistles head to Sandals, if on the other hand, you just want a clean, comfy, place to stay that boasts wonderful views and friendly staff then Samsara is the place for you. We loved it! The food was wonderdful, the bar was laid back, the cliffs were spectacular, and the staff was more than helpful and Friendly. We loved being able to take adbvantage of Legends for the beach experience but we preferred the laid back atmosphere of the Cliff side.
We used Joe Cools Taxi Service for our airport transportation and for a day trip that we took to YS Falls and The Black River. Heather and LaToya were punctual, friendly and knew a lot about the island and were happy to share thier knowledge with us. It does not hurt that they met us at the airport with smils and ice cold Red Stripe :)
Samsara is the place to go for a laid back Jamacian vacation! We give it 5 stars:)

Room Tip: I would choose one of the cliff side rooms with AC. They have great views.
2 Thank jmrWinterville