“It was what we expected”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Wyoming, Michigan
“It was what we expected”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I went there last month and the hotel was what we expected it to be especially after reading many reviews. I have been to Negril before and wanted to stay on the cliffs this time as I have stayed on 7 Mile beach before. We knew is advance that you had to bring your own beach towel, had weak drinks and outdated rooms so we were over that but it would have been nice to have top shelf liquor like Appletons in the all inclusive price. My recommendation would be to only do the all inclusive half the time you are there and eat and drink else where the other half of the time. As noted above we did the all inclusive and was on the ocean side with air conditioning.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MIgator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have been travelling to Negril for 11 years now and have never stayed on the cliffs. This was my first cliff resort experience. First let me say the check in process was a breeze! Next I was guided to my room which I enjoyed very much. The room was clean and the view was awesome. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was basic, but I expected that because I knew I was'nt staying at the Ritz Carlton. I must say I will be back, it's a nice break from staying on the beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank CJGirlie
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I spend 3 days at samsara....4 days at the ritz....The food at samsara was to die for, best food I've had at any hotel. Honestly speaking I am very high maintenance so the room was average to me. they were clean bit I'm just use to more sophisticated lodging. i would definitely visit samsara again.....very good memories!!!!

Room Tip: pic a room in the 200 side
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norma G
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The best features of this hotel are the customer service and the view. The staff is very nice and will try their best to make you happy. However, make sure you lower any expectations you my have about this "resort".

Expectation: Jamaican food in all-inclusive plan. Unfortunately, they served mostly sub-par American food during my stay.

Expectation: Properly working toilet - Our toilet flooded TWICE. Not from the inside of the toilet, but from the bottom sewage line. The toilet had a busted wax ring. When we asked (we should not have had to ask) to switch rooms (after the second overflow), we were told there was not room because the reservation department was closed, so we had to step through a puddle of sewage water that was in front of our room to enter the room which would cause mud tracks on the floor. Not very sanitary at ALL! Although the front desk lady was sincerely apologetic, I felt like more should have been done to remedy the experience.

Expectation: To not wake up feeling like I needed back surgery in the middle of the night every night. I have been home for 24 hours and my back STILL hurts. I've slept on couches and floors that are more comfortable than the beds at Samsara. I am young and active, so I can endure many sleeping situations, but this was by far the most uncomfortable sleeping arrangement I had. Not to mention, they took our comforters after the first night and never replaced them! We didn't complain because they felt like rough paper towels.

Not to mention the BUGS! Now, I realize that I am in the Caribbean. I've stayed with family in other Caribbean and Latin countries. However, when you PAY for accommodations at a place that calls itself a "boutique hotel" or "resort", you expect it to exceed those that you might receive staying with family or friends. I understand the mosquitoes, but my friend and I left with over 40 bites each. It would just make sense for Samsara to include a repellent candle, net, or complimentary spray in each room just because the problem is SO bad. They should also seal around the AC units (We had to pay for AC - that should have been a sign) so the mosquito don't get into the room. There were about 12 buzzing around the shower ceiling when we first checked in. There were also ants EVERYWHERE (Captain Roy told us it was "ant season") On the dresser, bed, bar counter, dining room table, floor, did I mention BED? When I mentioned it to the front desk, they were VERY quick to check out the situation, but they really need to invest some money into taking care of that situation.

Which leads me to investing money: Samsara is very dated and seems to cut corners in the most obvious of ways. From the faded plastic plaid place mats, to serving grill cheese sandwiches for lunch three out of the four days of our stay, Samsara only hurts itself by ignoring the subtle details that are important during a vacation. Also, nobody wants to eat buffet leftovers. Let the staff take the food home or donate it if you have a lot left over. My leftovers are okay because I made them in my home and know how it was distributed. Picked over jerk chicken turned into pineapple chicken the next day is not appetizing. Samsara will only be excellent if they stop trying to cut corners. Do NOT get the all inclusive plan (even if you like to drink, the alcohol, which is served in toddler cups, is watered down).

I've been to several countries with varying levels of luxury (from hostels to five star hotels), and this by far is the ONLY time I was happy to go home. I think the people that are chastising us "spoiled Americans" are being silly and probably have some type of American guilt complex. I read the reviews and lowered my expectations, but there is a happy medium. Samsara does not meet even that.

Now to the positive part: the view is BREATHTAKING. The cliffs are beautiful, laying out on the chairs (when one of the 10 are available) and feeling the breeze massage your body is a beautiful experience. Nobody can take that away from Samsara. Jamaica night had the most fabulous food: curry mutton, rice and peas, festival, jerk chicken. Also, as I said before, the staff is pleasant and very accommodating.

All in all, I felt like I was camping. If I were forewarned ahead of time, I would have either lowered my expectations, or saved for a better place.

Room Tip: Don't get the all-inclusive Stay at the cottages. I stayed in 115 and the most glowing reviews...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Raydiance C

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2012

So, my husband and I made our anniversary trip to Jamaica and chose Samsara due to viewer ratings from budget consious travelers. We arrived one day ofter Hurricane Sandy passed. The pool was drained for almost three days and when we went to the sister resort to access the beach, we were not allowed to. This would have been fine if the report would have offered something to replace this detail. How about replacing the cheap, all inclusive alcohol with premium during our stay...since we had nothing else to do? I did not like the fact that you have a two hour window to eat (all inclusive plan). The "shuttle" is one shuttle at 10a and one shuttle at 4p...not all day long... AND we had to wait for the 3rd or 4th pick up to get back....due to the shuttle only seating 10 people at a time. The meals were not great at all either...repetition of food we had the previous day. I would spend the $1000 extra and stay at a Super Club (and NO, we were not the Groupon purchasers...we purchased our tickets for flight and air through Funjet...)

2 Thank KrissyMorr
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The moral is, you get what you pay for. We loved the peace and quiet, the availability of any and all types of beach chairs and the friendly staff. I was prepared for the narrow meal windows, lack of beach towels and cheap alcohol. I was put out by he extra charge for air conditioning and expensive taxis. It was $70 plus tax for 4 nights of a/c. The hotel charged us for a taxi to ricks cafe, when we could have called for a free shuttle.

The food is good, the snorkeling was great- right off the cliffs from the hotel. We visited the sister hotel on the beach one day, but much preferred the quiet of Samsara.

Though we enjoyed our stay, we preferred Montego Bay and Doctors Cove beach club. we stayed on the strip and couldn't have had more fun.

Room Tip: Get the beach side, never the garden side. The beach huts do not come with A/C at all
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Let me first say that this resort is very 420 friendly. Which was a delight for me and my wife. We stayed in on of the cottages, T2 to be exact and it was beautiful. Being woke up to that sunrise is priceless. Wasn't a big fan of the outside shower but hey when in Rome right... the food was so so and the drinks were OK nothing spectacular. This is a great resort to relax, after a stressful wedding it was nice to sit back on the balcony of our cottage, smoke and watch the sunset... there was also a candlelight dinner on the cliff Sunday night which was really nice..... all and all don't expect a 5 star resort when u come because you will be disappointed, but if your looking to chill out and get away from the daily stress of life this place is perfect

Room Tip: Dont stay in the cottages in the summer... no A/C, just a ceiling fan
1 Thank William G