“Short on Basics”

Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Atlanta, GA
“Short on Basics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

About a month ago, my wife and I stayed at Samsara for three nights. We travel to Jamaica often and have stayed in Negril on numerous occasions. Samsara was OK, but not great. The location and view from the cliffs is obviously magnificent, but the hotel itself was short on the basic things you would expect from a place that bills itself as a resort. Here's a quick rundown: visibly watered down alcohol (Appleton Special is not supposed to be the color of ginger ale); no beach towels (instead your are steered into their gift shop to purchase towels at $15 per); no washcloths; no bath towels for half of the day (housekeeping takes them at about 9:30 for laundering and returns them at about 3:00); pillows that seem stuffed with hay (something not soft); no toiletries (only small bars of soap); air conditioning comes at an extra charge (most rooms don't get a direct breeze); if you opt for the all-inclusive plan, there are no snacks in between formal meal times; and my favorite, no marked areas or advice on where it's safe to jump into the water (instead, we were told "use your judgment"). For the most part, the staff was very friendly. The food was OK: breakfast was the most consistent meal of the day (made to order eggs, fresh fruit, etc.); lunch was touch and go (grilled cheese and french fries were the staples); and dinner was so-so, with the exception of the Sunday evening buffet, which was great, with live music and more authentic Jamaican cuisine. Other guests commented on the lack of on-property entertainment, but that wasn't so important to us. Overall, the feeling was that the hotel cuts corners to save money. While I never regret traveling to Jamaica, we won't be visiting Samsara again.

Room Tip: If you go, get a room with a view of the water and AC.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Coach51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

i stayed in samsara for 1wk in sep 2012.i was alone, but i didnt get bored at all. the front desk was great, the buffet waitresses very nice, the bar tenders wonderful.great owayne..every worker was friendly. peter at the gate made me cross the road safely,gregory the cab man was very helpful and nice.i loved the aroma around samsara. the cliff!! a place i shall go back. thanks alot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank 640hellenw
Montgomery, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great little hotel on the cliffs. Can kick back and just enjoy the scenery. Can snorkel right off the cliffs at the resort. Great bartenders!! Nice little jacuzzi and a fresh water pool. Stay in one of the cottages if you can.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Kimbies1124
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I purchased a groupon for our stay in July. I did quite a bit of research before actually purchasing it and I knew that this wasn't a 5 star resort. So, I went knowing that it would be a little different than some of the more upscale resorts. We were celebrating our anniversary and wanted something that was more relaxing. I wouldn’t recommend this for people with younger children. There really aren’t a lot of activities on the property for them to do.
Our room had a king bed and a double bed. We found that the king bed was way too hard to sleep on. So we opted to stay in the double bed. Housekeeping services didn’t typically come around until much later in the afternoon. They also will take your towels, but wait for them to be washed to return them. The bathrooms only had bars of soap. No other amenities at all. So make sure to bring what you want from home.
One thing that seemed odd was that the front desk wasn’t very knowledgeable about things in the area to see or do. It would have been nice to have a question answered right away versus having to wait for someone else. Also, we had a question about the jelly fish and they had no idea what we talking about.
We found the food to be decent. It wasn’t anything that I would crave at home. But if you are going to get out and site see, there are excellent restaurants really close by. I highly recommend “Three Dives”. The best Jerk chicken I have ever had. We didn’t go to party and have an active nightlife. But, the drinks were strong and the Jamaican Rum packs a punch. If you are looking for a more active environment, look elsewhere.
It was nice to not have people wandering all over trying to sell you things. We did go to Legends one day to go to the beach and there were people everywhere trying to sell you their products/excursions. If I had to choice between the two, I would stay at Samsara. It was nice to be able to snorkel right off the cliffs. We even cliff dived. My husband wanted to fish and we flagged down a boat that took us out fishing.
Since we were in Jamaica, we knew that drugs may be out in the open. There were a handful of people that were at the resort that were smoking pot. For the most part those people were discrete and were not in common areas. But, we experienced that when we have traveled to other countries too.
We did get a couples massage in the outdoor spa area. It was wonderful. We didn’t use the pools too much, since we were right on the ocean. But, they were really nice to go to when you didn’t want to be in the salt water. There is a lot of room for people to spread out and sun bathe, read, snorkel or just relax.
Overall, this was one of the most relaxing vacations I have ever had. I am very happy that we did this trip. Would I go back? Quite possibly. If you go, just enjoy the experience and go with the flow. You will be happy that you did. Safe Travels!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank thinmint55
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at Samsara in May 2012. I was there with 7 other family members (All 21 & over). Overall everyone really enjoyed themselves and the hotel. The location is wonderful, the view is stunning. We all took advantage of the shuttle from Samsara to Legends. Samsara is great, because its not a resort where everything is so large that you really never leave the resort. The staff and the owners are lovely. I loved being able to step outside of the hotel and be immeresed in the culture. My only complaint would have to be, I wish there were a few more towels and washcloths in the rooms. Other than that, I will definitely be visiting Samsara again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rachel M
Drumheller, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Samsara 5 years in a row. We will go nowhere else in Negril!! We have never had a bad experience there. Maybe the hotel rooms are little dated...but who goes to Jamaica to sit in their room. Everything is very clean ... that is my biggest thing! The breakfast at Samsara is the best around!! Other meals are good to ok....but still worth the all inclusive price!! We have brought 10 other people with us and they all also love it!
The staff are one of a kind! Everyone is helpful and friendly!
Samsara is our winter home away from home!!

Room Tip: Seaside is better than garden, in our opinion. Garden side is beautiful, just abit of a hike to get...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tbassie
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Only thing we enjoyed was the view.

if you don't want to be offered pot everyday this is not the place for you. If you expect a variety of food and drink, don't stay here. If you expect kind service and a well kept resort go somewhere else!!!!!!
We were offered drugs by the man who carried our bags to the room the first day. People would sit out at the outside dining area and smoke pot. Our hut had a nail sticking out through the wood floor that I stepped on. Our room was filthy. What does not get eatten at breakfast expect to see in some form at lunch.
And at the sisters resort you will be harassed by locals to buy drugs and you will be unable to escape the smell of drugs.
We paid up for 7 days. We only stayed for 3 and we left with no refund. We moved to the Club Riu which was about 10 minutes down the road and that place was amazing!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Kellzzzz

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels