“Good location but bad choice!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Samsara Cliffs Resort

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Irvington, New Jersey
“Good location but bad choice!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I found this hotel through a Groupon which I subscribe to. The deal was way too good to pass up and so were the pictures of the hotel. Well needless to say, my groupon was for a standard ocean front room with a meal plan of all inclusive. Upon checking in and being taken to our room, we found that it looked like a grd.en type setting and nothing of us seeing the ocean. I went back to the reception desk and expressed my concerns and mentioned what the groupon had. Well of course they didn't check the coupon and the reason why they had placed us in that room was because they were booked. Ummm I said well someone should have told us upon check in. I waited about half an hour before the room was changed. On top of that if I wanted AC I would have to pay for that per night which was $18 US. The previous room had an AC and a refrigerator so they were telling me that I should stay put. I told them I as claustrophobic and that I could not stay in the room.
Overall they were not prepared for people that were checking in. When we finally got to our ocean front room, there were no wash cloths. As For the AC, you needed a key to have access to it. The room itself was OK! Customer service, they were accommodating but not the best. We had our room cleaned and we had some fruit that was delivered to us because we were celebrating a birthday and we noticed that was not removed from the room. You would think that that was a part of cleaning up. NOT!

There are no irons or the luxurious amenities such as a blow dryer, iron board, room service or any other service for that matter. I asked my self why the name Resort and Spa??? I was very disappointed. I stayed because t cancel I would have lost my money so I went along and stayed for 2 nights instead of the 3 that I paid for. It's not a hotel hat I would recccomend but it is very quiet and low key. Be careful of lizards and sea crabs, you will awake to them on your patio. It is a nice set up and location but the overall experience for us was not great. Our first dinner was good. We had curied chicken with rice and peas and veggies. If u want to order. Guinness you would have to upgrade your meal plan in order to fit that in. There are some unseen catches so be careful when you are booking.

I noticed mostly adults but somewhere in their flyer (brochure) it mentioned kids. This is not a kid friendly place at all. They do have a sister hotel about 5 mins away called "Legends Beach Resort" Our 2nd night we had dinner there because of the all inclusive privilege we were able to do that. The food was ok and a lot of activity that I would prefer not to be around was right there on the beach by where we are having dinner on the terrace. No objection to if u want to smoke marijuana but do it away from where everyone is having dinner and this was coming from the locals as the deck lead right out to the beach. We had curried curried goat and pan fried snapper which was ok as well.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yungmarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Polish first
green4859
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Travel date: 7/4/12 to 7/9/12
Traveled with spouse and child

First off, I'm going to give the plus on this resort: friendly and helpful staff (most of them), great food (if you choose all-inclusive), huge wade pool for kids (we brought our 22 month old daughter and she enjoyed it) and wonderful cliff diving to the water (my husband loved it!). Loved the spa treatment (we did a couples massage on our anniversary). We loved the view from our suite which was right in front of the water.

Now, the negatives: rooms were not okay. I went on a Groupon deal for $499 for five-nights all inclusive and didn't know until I got there that if you want air condition in your room, you'd have to pay $18/night extra. The suite was old. The comforter and the sheet that went over the bed looked dirty (but they did clean and replace linens everyday). The resort needs updating. A lot of the areas (like the entertainment area where they had books and pool table) look old and run down. However, I did see that they have been doing repairs on the resort grounds so maybe it's a working progress.

Other than that, we had a great stay and we had a lot of fun. We mostly stayed in the resort because we didn't find it to be too safe to just explore outside, except when we needed to go to the ATM which is in town. We also went to Ciao Jamaica for our anniversary dinner and the food was great...so I believe it is a must go restaurant in Negril.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank green4859
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We were in Jamaica last February and were so happy to have chosen this hotel. It is not so big like many of the resorts in Negril which makes it more personal. The room was simple but great, we booked breakfast only which was excellent and the staff was really amazing. Always happy to talk and very respectful. From here we took many excursions and had dinners at amazing restaurants closeby (Rock House was by far our favorite!). The person that completed our holiday was Gregory. He rides the shuttle bus to the other hotel almost every day and he took us on a few excursions in which he showed us the most beautiful places of Negril. He had so much to tell us, was extremely friendly and completed our Jamaica experience. We would be happy to come back here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Esther d
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Rooms were pretty bare bones, but clean enough. Resort is a little run down. The food at the restaurant was NOT GOOD. I think they offer an all-incusive plan and I feel relly bad for people who had to eat that food all week. Go across he street to Choices for a better meal or down the road to Just Natural. Staff seemed to care less. They don't really give you much info when you chek in (lie the fact that they have snokeling equipment - we founf that out on our last day) Clientele is a little rough around the edges. The water off the cliffs is nice, but there was only one rickety (and rusty) ladder to get in and out. There are better places in the cliffs to stay, but you get what you pay for and this is one of the least expensive options.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzy7512
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

went last year as a special treat. the hotel itself was clean enough, great house keeping staff. went for bed and breakfast option, which was predicatble but good enough choice at breakfasts. dive center onsite was fairly good, but as encountered all over jamaica the staff and locals alike seem off hand unless you are constanty tipping them ( i tip when i recieve service, not for a waitress with an attitude serving coffee) overall a nice hotel, bar is rubbish and overpriced, but take your duty free ad enjoy the great views outside on the cliffs. we went in low season and negril was certainly half open! but brave the rain and it was a relaxing holiday. if only the staff had been a bit more helpfull. also note the aircon policy! AIRCON IN YOUR ROOM WILL COST YOU EXTRA- A LOT EXTRA! which we were un aware off and had not budgeted for, proprally the only downside though. overall would recomend

Room Tip: make sure you go for the sea view not garden rooms, as less mozzies and great view for a little extr...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank charlier83_12
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Here is my honest review of Samsara. I hope this is helpful to someone.
Time: May 11-16, 2012

Weather: this is definitely the rainy season as it rained everyday we were there however if you get out early It is still very hot and you can enjoy your activities. I would go back during this time because the prices are cheaper and there was no wait for anything.

Airport transport: we used ken transport located in the airport they were awesome . They were right there with a sign when we arrived and got us back to the airport early. Samsara is a hour away from MBJ the roads are bumpy but I did not get car sick the RT cost was 140.00 US we speed through customs took us about 15 minutes but they were very nice. Fill out the for,s you get on the plane

Hotel staff: service was exceptional, when you leave the property you will notice that Samsara is the fastest and most attentive. I called a few days ahead to confirm my room and they were friendly. Dalton made arrangements for our dining on the sabbath because we didn't do all inclusive.

Room: get the superior room please! It is very hot even at night the air is needed. The rooms were cleaned very well and yes it does take house keeping awhile to clean so bring your own washcloths/towels if you want to shower more than once. Also bring 100% deet as a bug spray. You will have mosquitoes in your rooms when you get back. This was the most annoying part of my stay. It's because housekeeping cleans with the door open so they get in that way. The water was hot and you have American television. We also brought ziplock bags to keep food in because ants will find it if left out. I did notice the comforters had stains on them but the sheets were clean. I packed a beach blanket and we slept under it. The beds were hard but I loved it because I have a bad back. Also bring your own toiletries you will not get more than 2 bars of small soap and we stay 5 nights. Also bring wrinkle release there was no iron as well. Water shoes too.

Food: we did not do the all inclusive and we were glad about it. There's so much good local restaurants in the vicinity. Sweets spice, margaritaville, Ricky's cafe, etc. however I must say breakfast at Samsara is the best, it is 12.00 for the buffet and it is worth every cent. Once you have it you will go back. Pack a water bottle you can fill it up and take it on the go. We also had the pizza across the street ciao Jamaica and it was pretty good spicy though. The food out is reasonably priced as well about 1200-1500 JM for 2

Location: the cliffs location was nice and quiet and no haggling which you will get at Legends. The sunsets are wonderful at Samsara. We did legends just one day and it was beautiful more of the party scene so we were happy to leave at the end of the trip. I burned really badly in the sun so bring SPF 100 the peeling was bad the next day. Be careful crossing the street but they have Peter there and he is great to help. People find a taxi driver they like and keep the, for their trip. Ours was named Hunnish and he took us everywhere for about 5 US except Mayfield Falls which was 80 do this excursion it is so romantic and since it was the slow season we had the place to ourselves. There were not any children seen during our stay in my opinion this not a place for them. More for couples or folks who don't want to be in a peaceful setting.

Locals: they were very friendly. Some adults and children did ask us for money but they are very poor. A firm no will be respected or if you have change you can give it. We went to Negril SDA church and a nice mother invited us to her house for dinner. It was hands down the best food on the island she turned out to be a chef so needless to say we had an exceptional experience.

What to bring: there is a convenience store about 3 minutes walk away with most of everything you might need but do not forget bug spray, wrinkle release, beach towel or buy one for 10.00, exchange some american money for Jamaican. The costs of things will be cheaper. Have 1's and 5's for tips. All meds that you might need including Imodium and laxatives, aloe gel for burned skin and you will probably burn the sun has no mercy on you. No need for heavy jackets or sweaters we just packed a carry on. You will not need tons of clothing maybe extra underwear but sundress and swim wraps are perfect. Sunglasses, big hat, water shoes if you are doing any excursions. I also wished I had a life vest to stay in the water longer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Callion007
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was our 6th trip to Jamaica. We always stay at different places in Jamaica. Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, and Negril. After traveling to 18 different islands, Jamaica is by far the prettiest island in the Caribbean. "The Jewel Of The Caribbean" I would say. It's natural beauty is stunning to say the least. The people have a big play in that statement. They are kind, generous, and have electric smiles. So, when you go to visit, smile back I promise it won't hurt. No fast food, just Jamaican flavor that will have you begging for more. The Samsara staff was the best example of what makes a resort "a resort". Some people get confused in their own world and think if the roof or wall or floor isn't perfect it's not a great resort. They are wrong! It's about an experience you will remember and cherish forever. The memories is what makes life wonderful and fulfilled. We met the owner and he was concerned about your happiness and always was taking great care of the beautiful resort. There was at least 18 places to eat with in walking distance. Don't be afraid to try different small restaurants. You will be happy you did. No worries, they are all good. Use the shuttle to Legends at beach and enjoy the beach and a little of the wild side. Then come back to the Samsara for the peace you deserve. I had back surgery 2 months before this trip and didn't know for sure if I was gonna make it. I was blessed to have Samsara in my memories forever and will visit them again. Please enjoy yourself and always remember to see with your heart and smile, it won't hurt I promise. Thank you all so much " Samsara and Staff" We will always remember the beauty you and the resort have given us. You touched our hearts and we will remember forever. One Love Always, Richard and Carolyn

Room Tip: If you are from up north, make sure you get one with a a/c. We are from Florida and we got the Pilla...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple