“Best Value on the Cliffs of Negril”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #31 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I have never been disappointed. The rooms are very clean and safety is not a concern here. The view from the cliffs is amazing at sunset and the snorkeling and cliff diving are great. There is a very nice swimming pool here if the ocean is too rough. The staff are very friendly and helpful. For the price you are paying you are getting a great deal. Similar hotels on the ocean are double the price in other places I have stayed. No complaints about this hotel. Go and stay there, you will be happy you did.

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean side of the hotel for the best view
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kava-kauboi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed January 3, 2012

My fiance and I saw the owner of this resort yell with flailing arms at his staff two times- once while we were laying out and once while we were eating lunch. It clearly never occurred to this guy that guests might not want to listen to him loudly chastising his employees for misplacing a screwdriver or walking in the wrong area.

After hearing this, our crummy stay started to make sense. Employees were scared. They were un-helpful and said very, very little to us over 5 days. Front desk was polite but they were often tied up at night taking pizza delivery orders for the owner's restaurant across the street. With the exception of one guy, the bartenders said nothing when we sat down, even after we said hello- they just walked over and looked at us. I've never seen anything like it in the West End where bartenders smile and typically introduce themselves by name.

We learned from TA reviews to bring towels form home. Glad we did. Hotel provides 2 towels, and they take them away for in the afternoon to wash them. One of our hotel towels had a dark brown stain that looked to be an old blood stain. That's gross.

There is an abandoned drive shop on the property next to barbed wire. Visitors that were bussed over from Legends had snorkel gear, but when we asked, there wasn't any at Samsara.

We thankfully did not do all inclusive because the pizza/burger lunches were way below average and the pre-made pina coladas tasted like they came from a 7-11. Some guests did seem to be thoroughly enjoying them, but I had to chug Pepto after my first (and last) frozen drink. We walked to the market and bought our own ice and booze.

Free wi-fi at bar but no where else. If you want to make a dinner reservation, the front desk will let you use their phone- but will charge your room $1.65/minute to call down the road. If you call from your room and be charged $1.00/minute. I've never paid $285/night at a "resort" that would not call and make a local reservation for you.

The "spa" is an outdoor platform near the pool with three blue tarp walls. Not as shown in website photos. I never saw anyone in it.

Let's talk about the sun deck. Someone left their soggy boxers on the pool deck and it stayed there all day. Garbage (cups, straws, cig butts) all over, even in the tide pools- since there is only one garbage can on deck and staff doesn't pick anything up until night. Cushions are set out daily since the lounge chairs are too busted up to sit on without them. Short afternoon showers leave puddles in these cushions. After seeing this for three days, I finally went and turned the wet chairs sideways so they could dry in time for sunset. I flipped over twenty chaise lounges so that they could be used for us and other guests. One day, I noticed my plastic chair had 9 rusty screws near my feet where it had been "repaired" a long time ago. I didn't bother switching out chairs b/c the all the chairs around me were broken, faded, torn, gooped up with epoxy and tagged with fluorescent orange spray paint. As a traveler, chairs are not going to make or break it for me- but they were representative of everything else on site- years past it's useful life span and long overdue to be replaced.

The owner? Well, he passed guests hundreds of times and never said a word. No "how is your stay... thank you for staying with us." Maybe he could have just smiled at me when he took our fourteen hundred dollars for lodging at his crummy property. My guess is that the owner is embarrassed doesn't want to know what we thought. Instead, he storms, scowling, past every guest and heads over to his giant house next to Samsara. I'm glad he has such a lovely home while he is cutting corners at every opportunity at his UN-resort.
If ownership changed and the place was cleaned up- there is certainly potential. In its current condition and with current management, I cannot, in good conscience, refer this property to anyone. Even those looking for economic travel. I enjoy rustic and even primitive ocean side amenities, but only at properties that are honest about their limited facilities and cost a fraction of Samsara rates.

Double BOO for Samsara, the owner should be ashamed.

Room Tip: T1 & T2 Pillars are next to restaurant so not peaceful or secluded. You'll hear bar music i...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Spayneuterchicago
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at Samsara over Christmas 2011. It was a great time. They are starting to do some repairs on the cliff landings and it looked like the hotel has recently been repainted. The staff was very friendly and very prompt when we needed something.
We snorkeled everyday right off the cliffs but you can head out on The Elvira glass bottom boat to go to the reef. I highly recommend this boat tour. The captain and guides are fun and they really show you the reef.
One place I don't recommend is the Jam-Can Bridge restaurant down from Rick's Cafe. It ended up costing us $60.00us for patties and it certainly didn't taste like curry goat.
We did the all inclusive at the resort and thought it was worth it. The food was average and kind of repetitive but inexpensive enough you can afford other restaurants. The bar staff makes very good drinks and there is a wide variety on their all inclusive drink selection
The Samsara is a 3 star resort so don't expect more, and you should have a fun, relaxing and beautiful holiday.

Room Tip: Better views on the upper floor of the cliffside hotel, be prepared for very hard beds
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy D
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The rooms were adequate, always clean, linen and towels. One big problem or shall I say small, is the bed in the apartment was 4FTX6FT bed- my husband is a BIG dude, 6ft3 and muscley I am 5'9" and not petite!. So night time was hellish! But the resort itself is spacious and beautiful plenty of sunbeds and locations, with cabanas and shade, sunbeds in the plunge pool to keep you deliciously cool. AMAZING sunsets, and the best thing of all NO SAND! but still easy access to to the sea. If yu want sand go to the sister resort Legends, pokey and crowed without the incredible views but it has a sandy beach. The staff at Legends not nearly as smiley and friendly.
The staff at Samsara were absolutely wonderful, even on christmas day they looked happy to be at work- a lot of Jamaican staff generally need a lot of warming up before they crack a smile but Samsara staff were instantly inviting and warm, from reception to groundsman!
Food was alright I guess...... a bit over cooked, bit too salty, and if you are on the Atkins diet (low carbs) FORGET IT you will die of starvation, pasta, rice, breaded chicken/fish, sweet sauces, bread, fries, even the salad is mostly sweetcorn peppered with tiny bits of tomato and cucumber. Desert served EVERY SINGLE NIGHT without fail is betty crocker cake mix, cake either yellow or chocolate, very dry and the thinnest layer of icing that usually gets wiped off picking it up and putting on your plate- incredibly boring and uninspired - I dont know how a professional chef gets away with offering the same thing every single night on the menu and still keeps their job. Little things make a difference! Fortunately the staff and the location were impeccable but you cannot rely on those things alone. Would I come back again? I always like to go to a different place every time but if none were available this resort would be ok for a short stay - perhaps bed and breakfast only though.

Room Tip: apartments are bigger, have good a/c and a fridge without extra charge, no sea view but next to the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Gemaica
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We were in Jamaica for 5 days and we picked this hotel based on some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed at all. We stayed in a Superior Ocean view room. The room is spacious and the bathroom is very clean - housekeeping does a good job of maintaining the room. We wanted peace and quiet, and so this hotel suited us very well. If you want frequent access to the beach and want to buy stuff from vendors, then the sister property Legends would be your choice. But, the good thing is that they have a free shuttle between Samsara and Legends at 10 am and 4 pm, so you can enjoy both the cliffs at Samsara and the beach at Legends. We did not choose the all-inclusive plan because we are vegetarians and don't drink alcohol, but for those who choose the all-inclusive plan, they can eat at either of the sister resorts, giving advance notice. We did avail of the breakfast buffet at Samsara because they had a good spread. We ate lunch and dinner at Ciao Jamaica, situated right across the hotel. The security people at Samsara are nice enough to help you cross the road to get to the restaurant because it is on a blind curve. We enjoyed the food at Ciao Jamaica because it is very good, fresh and has vegetarian options and the staff are friendly.
Samsara has good spots for cliff jumping at various heights for people of all ages. There are a number of access points via ladders to swim in the Caribbean sea. You should at least try swimming in the warm waters if you are not sure about cliff jumping. They also have a dive shop on the premises.
Samsara is a good spot to watch the sunset. There are a number of beach chairs and shaded areas provided, for people interested in getting tanned or just lazing around.
The rooms do not have safes, but you can rent a safe at the front desk at a charge to keep your valuables. Wi-fi access is available in and around their restaurant and also at Ciao Jamaica restaurant. As with other hotels, converting your money to Jamaican dollars at the hotel won't get you the best rate and so the best option is to do it at a Cambio in downtown Negril. The cost of a route taxi from Samsara to downtown Negril is about 100 Jamaican dollars per person and the cost from Samsara to Legends is about 200 Jamaican dollars per person.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Budget_Traveller_JuD
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I booked this resort with Groupon. I was a little worried before I went because of the negative reviews here. However, I think this resort is above average and worth the price. I feel safe and relaxed. Our room was clean and adequate in terms of space. Food was okay. I would say that I had a good stay there and I am glad that I chose to stay at this one instead of the Legends because basically you would lay on the beach all way and you would want to change the environment a bit so even you need to shuttle back and forth, it's worth it. All the staff was nice and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank shirlgal
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Just want to let my fellow travellers know of the great times i've had at this hotel. Great location on the cliff road in Negrils west end. A great place to see the awesome sunsets. The rooms are very pleasant and clean. The staff are friendly and no request is too much. The poolside bar is a wonderful place to catch up with friends at the happy hour and if you want to carry the party on past closing time, there are two cracking little bars just 200 yardsback up the road towards negril centre called No Limits and Peewee's where you can party till the early hours. I'm already looking forward to my next trip back to see my friends at Samsara. Jason.

Room Tip: The pillar houses are awesome with unbeatable views of the caribbean.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends