“Pillar House was our own paradise”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Before I booked here for my husband and I, I read many of the reviews, both good and bad so was well prepared upon our arrival. Obviously for the cost, you will not get a 5-star resort experience so that should be logical. It is definitely an older property but the staff kept it clean and secure. If you do the research you will know ahead of time that there is not a fridge or a coffee-maker (they can rent for you), so we took a portable hot water pot with us, we also packed a collapsible cooler and kept it stocked with ice from a very handy nearby grocery store. We did not do the all inclusive and were very happy with the selection of local restaurants to choose from and occasionally took a taxi to the beach or further along the cliffs for dinner.
Great location and away from the noise of the beach area, nice and relaxing which is what we were looking for but plenty of opportunity to take day trips or better yet take the free shuttle down to the beach for parasailing, jet-skiing, shopping etc. The glass-bottomed boat stops by daily to pick up and return if you wish to go and snorkel at the reefs. Wonderful massages can also be arranged either in your room or, as we did, in a curtained area on the cliffs with the sea breezes wafting in.
The staff was very friendly and I already had several email conversations prior to arrival to ensure our upgrade to the Pillar House and to verify our reservation. Communication is key when you are travelling to other cultures if you don't wish for nasty surprises. We also packed beach towels as we had read from reviews that the hotel towels are basically just for bathroom usage. I admittedly was a little nervous for my first shower under the Pillar House with no door to the shower area but soon realised that I had plenty of privacy and the bathrobe was ample coverage to and from our room.
All in all, a lovely experience and we shall definitely return there.

Room Tip: Pillar House is definitely worth the upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KieronCTA
There are newer reviews for Samsara Cliffs Resort

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Everytime i go to jamaica to visit family I always stay at the samsara for about 3 or 4 days, I love it, i always book on travel rupublic.com and i pay not even £20 a night for bed and breakfast. - most rooms have a double and a single in them so if your going with 3 people the you all pay almost nothing once you split it.

The rooms are great, nice, clean and spacious with a nice bathroom too. there is a tv which has cable. the breakfast is great they alternate it daily and there is a mix between american and jamaican breakfast which i love. the staff are also really friendly and helpful.

the one negative that i can say is the location for those that love to be by the beach, this hotel is on the cliffs and is about a 10minute taxi ride to the beach, although they hotel has a free shuttle to the beach at there sister hotel 'legends' at 10am and one back to samsara at 4pm. there are restaurants (including a jamaican italian restaurant) and a shop right outside the hotel so its not out in the sticks and it is closer to ricks cafe then all the hotels on the beach.

overall i would definatly recommend this hotel if you want a nice peaceful stay, also most rooms look out onto the sea. if you like to party it isnt the most convieniant unless you rent a car.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank elle-ce
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I enjoyed The Samsara Cliff Resort, the staff was friendly and very personfessional. The hotel
did have some problems & policies I didn't care for; for example anyone visiting you had to be
signed in & out moreover, your guest had to leave the propery no later than 10:00p.m. or you had to
pay for your guest. If you wanted ice for your room you were only allowed 2 cups of ice at a time, by the time you made to your room you had a half a cup of ice & a half a cup of water. The rooms
didn't come with a small refrigerator or microwave. The grounds were very clear at all times, the food was very good. The hotel need an uptodate policy on guest injuries. I was injuried on the propery I reported to the front office, I asked for an injury report form and was told due to the fact
no one saw me injured myself ; the only way it could be documented was if I went to the doctor in town. I ask were they going to pay for the cab fair? I was told no. All expiences would be on me.
In closing,The Lady, who manage the Resturant across the street was wonderful and went over the top her customers, she was friendly as well as professional. My stay was from Aug to sept 9th.

Room Tip: The Cliff side is a beautiful side.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank christielove39
Reviewed September 19, 2011

very easy to tell you my problem with the Samasara Hotel !!!!

Even though I payed months ago--when I arrived tthey had NO room.

To me this was an example of a bait and switch pretty much.
when I made this reservation the Legends (which is where they sent me ) kept popping up ...but I didn't want Legends--I wanted The Samasara.

I feel management knew all along they were not going to hold this room purchased on Travelocity.The took the booking anyway---cause they just don't give a darn.

I give them a 2--for lying about making reservations.

I am at The Legends now and will make a review. The emploooyees are great and many interchangable work in both places...nothing is really thier fault....clearly owneers and management,

Room Tip: Chose a good rooom by NOT making your reservations with this Hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank WANTOTRAV
Reviewed September 16, 2011

My husband and I booked this vacation (16 days) through a Canadian tour company for us, our two youngest children, niece, and nephew. We booked the "inclusive" package and two rooms. Our room was a niggtmare - toilet didn't flush during our stay so we had to flush it with pails of water, we sprayed the room daily for the roaches, and the ceramic floor would have been more comfortable to sleep on. Our booking guaranteed air conditioned units; however, the ac is shut off at the front dest at 10 a.m. and never comes on until at least 4:30 p.m. We had to call our tour rep daily to get the ac turned on. We had to beg for face cloths and an extra roll of toilet tisse. The second room was large and much better than ours. Breakfast was okay, but the other meals left much to be desired. The dining staff and cleaners were very nice to deal with but the front desk staff were not helpful and demanded we pay for calls to the tour rep - I refused and argued daily and ultimately wasn't charged. The phones in the rooms never worked throughout our stay and there were no clocks as advertised. I would not stay here again, and am working with our tour company on compensation for an upcoming vacation. Very disappointing to say the least, especially when the photos and advertisements come nowhere close to what the property actually looks like and offers.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows and a mattress if you want to be able to get a whole nights sleep if you are...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank LOLLY096
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I would like to first say that if you can see and hear, crossing the street is not "scary" or "dangerous" at all. There are rounded mirrors mounted on the property walls. just look, listen, and cross.

My lady and I stayed at Samsara the day and night of August 29th. We stayed in a garden side cottage. It had a great patio that looked out onto jungle gardens. The cottage is a hexagon shaped with an open floor plan, except for the bath area. The cottage has no A/C, but it wasn't necessary, even in August. The bed was queen or king.Our room didn't have a refrigerator, but I think you can rent one. I don't remember if it had a TV...you won't need to watch any. It was nice and quiet, but the whole resort was, given the off-season.

Service is just fine. Be gracious. Some people on here have complained, they probably have issues.

Across the street are the hotel rooms and pillar houses, the restaurant, and general cliffs recreation area. The grounds are very clean. We liked all the potted plants. The sun deck is large, and the loungers are spread out nicely. There are some stairways carved into the cliffs that lead to down to tide pools and smaller deck areas. Jumping into the ocean is great fun. There are plenty of safe spots to jump into the ocean, raning in height from 5 to maybe 15 feet. The water isn't too cold, and it's very clear.

The bar provides a great view and shade to enjoy drinks in the day and also at night. The prices aren't bad. We didn't use the all-inclusive plan, and unless you're going to drink 10 wells drinks per day and eat at the buffet for all of the meals, it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Everything about Samsara was superb with the exception of the breakfast buffet. The food was good, but was mostly American fare. You can walk 3 minutes down and acorrs the road to Chances restaurant for a Jamaican breakfast for a better price.

Room Tip: The garden side cottages are very peaceful with great patios. The cliffs, bar, the "party"...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank nickdaddyg
Reviewed September 10, 2011

To begin with the positive, the staff here is wonderful, the natural elements are beautiful, the cliffs are fun, the ocean so clear, the pool is nice and clean and the food is ok. However, the rooms have no amenities besides hand soap, no shampoo, conditioner, wash clothes, facial tissue or alarm clocks and our phone didn't work. There is ac and a fan but they are both pretty worthless, plus the ac leaks and makes very loud noises that wake one up several times a night. The towels, sheets and linen in the restaurant are all rags, everything has a hole. And possibly worst of all, there are ants everywhere! In the rooms and in the restaurant.

I am not a high maintenance traveler. I'm pretty happy with beach and some sunshine, so we still had a great vacation here. But I would not return. I don't expect hotels to have plush towels, but a wash cloth I do expect. Note that they also do not provide beach towels. Having never gone to a resort that did not provide shampoo and beach towels I did not bring either with me.

If you bring what you need with you and do not expect much, this can be a perfectly fine resort for an affordable getaway. But if you will be upset if you can't sleep at night due to the heat, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple