“My First Time Staying in Negril...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Seastar Inn

Seastar Inn
Ranked #1 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“My First Time Staying in Negril...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

There are so many good things I can say about this hotel. I don't even know where to begin. I had an awesome time at Seastar. I will admit, I was a little leary when I turned up the small street that leads to the hotel. But once we got through the gate, I was pleasantly surprised. EVERYONE at the hotel was very polite. When I did meet the owner, Chris, he was very nice. I got a warm reception upon check-in. When I made it to my room, Room #7, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very spacious and clean.The bed was very comfortable. My favorite part of the room was the veranda. I loved how the foliage grew up tall enough that it provided coverage from the sun. It also gave a lot of privacy. I stayed there during the earlier part of the week so it was very quiet, which I liked. The room was tended to daily by the staff. The TV worked fine, and provided enough channels.

As for the food, it was great. I did alot of eating in town, but while at the hotel, I had the jerk chicken sandwich, cheese pizza, eggs, potato wedges, bacon breakfast, and the garlic lobster. All of the portions was more than enough for two people if you are not a heavy eater. Although the meals were not included, they were priced very reasonable. I didn't have a chance to indulge in happy hour, which is from 4-6 pm. During that time, they have 2 for 1 drinks and chicken wings.

I loved the shuttle service to the beach. The bus is new and comfortable. The driver, Henry, is very nice. I also got a shuttle back to the airport. It was only $50, which I find to be very reasonable. One of the most expensive expenses you will incur in Jamaica is transportation/taxi costs. I was amazed at the price of the shuttle.

The only hiccup I had while at the hotel was the cellular phone service. The hotel provides cell phones for the guest to rent for $10 a day. You can talk all day on the phone locally and internationally. I thought that was a wonderful added feature to the hotel. The problem that occurred was not the fault of the hotel though. The cellular company switched the phones off, but the owner and his wife handled the situation in a timely manner.

My overall experience at Seastar was wonderful, and I will definitely be staying there again in the near future. Thanks to Chris, Francine, Rochelle, Samantha, Randy, Junior, Kirk, and all of the wonderful staff members at Seastar. Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Reea1223

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

You feel like family at this place and I am really looking forward to my next stay at Seastar. The staff aims to please and the vibe of the place is super chill. You can float around in the pool for hours and enjoy lunch at beverages at the swim up bar. Most days it feels like you have the place to yourself during the day and at night is when the fun really begins.

Great reggae/african dancers show on Saturday with a solid buffet, and I'm not big on buffets. Drinks specials as well as most major sporting events on numerous TV's at the bar. If you need a place to take in a football game with some buddies this is the place to do it. They also have a projector that they can beam a game on a big screen if you so desire. Pool table on site as well as a little shop that sells killer hammocks. And if you are on the West End and need pizza they do deliver and the pizza is pretty good thin crust.

This place is an outstanding value for what you get. It's about 500 yards to waters edge, but there are several places within walking distance that will let you hang out on the water as long as you buy some drinks and great food. If you want a brand new room just ask, they just built 4 new rooms and they are the highest numbered rooms, 17-20 I believe. 17 and 19 are ground level and 18 and 20 are upstairs. These rooms are right next to the pool and a short walk to the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank boogerlayne
Treasure Beach, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was by far one of the most laid back vacations I've ever taken. It was great to wake up every day and just go with the flow. Chris and Francine have carved out a spot in the West End of Negril, where you can begin your days with a continental breakfast or better still with one of their outstanding cook to order meals, (breakfast, lunch or dinner). The daily beach trips from 11 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon; (complimentary transportation provided) takes you to one of several spots on Negril's famous Seven Mile Beach. However if you just want to “cool out” you can hang around the lush garden property, swim in the pool or relax on your verandah hammock,(made by Francine). The staff was wonderful. They tried to meet each and every need quickly and with a smile, and by the second day of your stay they will remember your name, no matter how many guests they have. I loved the personal touch, the real Jamaican atmosphere and the feeling that you are home, with friends and family.

Room Tip: Room Six is great. It's almost at the end of the path, so there is little traffic or noise. Se...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank maggie196127
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Spent a night at the Seastar last March. I love the west end of Negril because there is so much to see and do if your adventurous and comfortable walking down the streets. Make no mistake, this resort is in the heart of Jamaica. Food was okay, facility decent and small. Staff was adequete. No fancy surroundings or scenery. But if you wanna get a chance to really see Jamaica and not just the guarded majesty of the bigger resorts its waiting for you right outside the gates of the Seastar. Any questions, drop me a line, glad to help as i have stayed all over Jamaica and love to help other travellers. Irie.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank lisadarcy
Hackettstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I can write three-four pages about how absolutely wonderful this place it. You won't go wrong here. My husband and I came here from the Ritz in Montego Bay and this place blew the Ritz out of the water with its prices (of course), quality of food, privacy, and of course the Staff. This place is truly a Gem in Negril. We are lifetime guests. Had so much fun!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TonyLia
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I hate to be a downer, but we didn't like this property :(
I read all the great reviews but we didn't have the same experience as others. The hotel is situated at the end of a long street that feels like an alley I would be scared to walk down at night. There is a security guard at the front gate. Our room was spacious with tall ceilings and a good AC and Fan. The bed was big and comfortable. The remotes to the TV didn't work well, the wi-fi didn't work, the bathroom door handle was broken, and there was no phone or alarm clock in the room. No toiletries except a bar or soap in the bathroom. The saturday night buffet was very good. No drinks are included. We saw the owner pass us a couple of times but he didn't really greet us. We like live music but the band was SO loud, you couldn't talk to one another so we went back to the room. There were dogs barking late into the night near our room which kept us up. The pool was ok. The spa looked more like a fountain. Maybe it was a fountain? The continental breakfast was some muffins and a few cereal choices. No drinks are included. I was so excited to stay here because of all the great reviews, but we left the next day and stayed at another hotel on the water. Maybe it was just a fluke, but I need to leave an honest review of our experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Donna S
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

The staff is very friendly, they really make you feel welcomed! Great recommendations for excretions, shopping and restaurants. Awesome buy one get one happy hour, and great Saturday night reagae show!

• Stayed September 2012