“Great place for the price”
Review of Sandy Haven Resort

Sandy Haven Resort
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Negril
“Great place for the price”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Reasons for a high rating: Clean. Well located. Great beach. Friendly staff (with the exception of one front desk woman). Modern décor.

Reasons to lower the rating: I booked the trip with two beds so I could meet my brother there, who was coming from another country. They charged us an extra $500 for the week when they asked how many people were going to be in the room, even though it wasn't all inclusive (why the extra cost?). Drinks are much more expensive here as opposed to the places next door (go see Dennis the Menace at Sun Beach, ask for extra rum).

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jason G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
Hazlet, New Jersey
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at Sandy Haven for a week in November and have a wonderful time. The hotel is lovely, clean, comfortable, and has a terrific staff! The location on the beach is perfect and there are enough chairs for each guest, none of the early morning chair claiming taking place. Beach security for the hotel is great, keeping all of the beach peddlers away and moving them along so that you can relax in peace. Pops helped us book several excursions and the restaurant recommendations from the front desk staff were great! The rooms were modern and clean. We had a great boutique hotel experience and will definitely return to Sandy Haven.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MJWong23
Granada, Spain
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Although Jamaica is but a fond distant memory now, we spent 2 weeks in January at Sandy Haven - one of the best, most comfortable, cleanest hotels we've ever stayed in. Great view of the ocean and sunsets from the balcony, large room, bathroom and comfy bed - we woke up slowly each morning to the rising sun..bliss.
Breakfast was just perfect: who could ask more than a plate of fresh fruit, cafetiere of Jamaican Blue Mtn coffee, juice and warm muffins and toast? Great to start of your day by looking at the ocean and choosing which lounge chairs you'll use to sunbathe in :)
The beach is pristine; white sands, turquoise sea - no rocks, seaweed or anything. It's my perfect beach and Sandy Haven staff keep it that way. It's also right in the middle of 7-mile beach so you can choose to walk on the beach and you've a lovely walk ahead of you either way.
Food in the hotel is ok (besides the great b'fast) - we didn't eat here much, preferring the 'Best in the West' across the road (amazing jerk chix) and other places along the beach. The snacks are the beach bar are nice though.
Tipping is expected by the staff although note that many of the bills already include service charge! You might get a dirty look though if you don't give a couple dollars with every interaction.

For Negril beach eating, definitely try:
Charela Inn
Kuyaba
Best in the West (across the road)
Cosmos (for the relaxing atmosphere)
Sweet Spot (on the road)
On the cliffs, go to Ivan's Bar at Catcha Falling Star (best 'sit-down' meal we had)
Rick's Cafe is cool for the atmosphere and the cliff jump
Rockhouse was ok but too expensive for what we got; nice location though
Don't bother going to Norma's; it was not-good food and way too expensive
Get patties as a snack - lovely from anywhere

Room Tip: We were in a '200' room on the 2nd (top) floor with a great view of ocean. Garden view rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buddlemug
Chatsworth, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I went to Sandy Haven in June 2013. This was our first trip without our little one and I have to admit, I was a bit scared. We were greeted with an amazing "rum punch" and the staff was wonderful. I decided on the ocean front room, which was such a great decision. Our room consisted of a king sized bed, hardwood floors, and the entire room including the bathroom was sleek and extremely clean. We had fresh towels and our room was cleaned everyday.
The resort is very quiet and laid back. We woke each morning and went to the front deck for FREE breakfast which consisted of fresh fruit, coffee, juice, toast, and muffins. The owner lives on the property and was extremely friendly and welcoming. I was pleasantly surprised at the security and how wonderful they were in insuring that we were not bothered while sunning at the beach or while enjoying the property. I highly recommend any drink from the bar (especially a rum punch or Miami vice). We ate at the bar several times, which was amazing. And we also went to Bongos twice. Overall, our experience was AMAZING. We will be returning hopefully this summer. You will not regret your stay at Sandy Haven! Don't forget to ask for Pops and Linten!
P.S. Sandy Haven is a short distance from Rick's Café, one of travelchannel's top 10 bars. The atmosphere is great, and you can't visit Rick's Café for a thrill unless you jump:)

Room Tip: Ocean front view allows you to see a picturesque view of sunset bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shanna K
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just came back from a wonderful vacation from Negril and Sandy Haven made it even better. The staff is so nice and friendly. They are very quick to accomodate any problems you have as well. We booked a wonderful horse back ride on the beach through the hotel as well. The breakfast on the beach made every morning even better. All was very wonderful and relaxing. Overall I felt like I was home and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: i suggest rooms higher off the ground. I was on the ground floor and did not have much of a view...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Morgan S
Ontario
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I feel that it is important to set the bar straight on this place. Looks are extremely deceiving and it it really too bad that the main problem is embedded at the top of the food chain at Sandy Haven Resort. I was a bit hesitant in booking this hotel as although there were many great reviews there were a few that struck me as a nightmare. Well, as luck would have it, the nightmare fell upon my stay at Sandy Haven. Now, with that being said, I can easily see someone as having a great experience at this hotel. The problem is if you run into an issue, there doesn't seem to be many customer service plans in place to satisfy the customer. Big issue for me, especially as they toot themselves as being a luxury resort. We checked in which was painless into a free upgrade that was a nice touch, only to find out that our shower was continuously leaking to the point where we couldn't sleep. Major drip. Ok fine, get someone to fix it, but they didn't send someone until the next day only to hear that it couldn't be fixed. Ok great you would think that it wouldn't be a problem to get another room, however we were downgraded to the bottom of the barrel room when we had booked a higher class. Also, the hot tub bleached out my brand new bikini and nothing was done about that either. My sister in law and I had to throw away two $100 dollar bathing suits due to this issue. We were invited to a managers party that was held in Bongos which stated free cocktails for an hour. Nice touch but the bartender failed to tell us what was included and what wasn't until we received our dinner bill with $100 in drinks that were $10.00 each as what we ordered wasn't on the "free" menu. It would have been nice to know that. Luckily they reversed a few but not all? Really? The real kicker of this whole fiasco of this "luxury" resort was when I FINALLY got to speak to the owner and that was a joke in itself. I waited all day to speak with her and when I approached her during the beach party. I was polite and explained that I was looking forward to having a few moments of her time to discuss the issues about my stay as none else could make an executive decision concerning our problems. Her answer amazed me. "I am going to eat now and I will find you later". WOW… just wow….. As most of you know, customer service is number one. This made me feel very unimportant and for $200 a night, not acceptable. Ok so I was patient and decided to have my own dinner, only to be interrupted mid bite by the owner stating that she was ready. Well I thought now or never, so away we went again in the middle of dinner to the lobby to discuss out problems. Long story short, this woman basically apologized and offered me a free upgrade for my next visit. She comped our buffet that night which we had to beg for originally and felt so uncomfortable. She said she was going to send me out a personal email to verify the "free" upgrade which in my opinion was a joke as they do it for everyone anyways. So if you are willing to risk it, you may have a good experience, but if you have a problem of any sort expect major frustrations and absolute lack of customer service that starts right with the owners. Good points. The free breakfast is fresh and good. The beach is nice and the bartenders are nice also. Pops the main concierge guy is great too. Bongos, the restaurant, do yourself a favour and eat somewhere else… many other AMAZING choices on Negril Beach and The Cliffs. It was extremely disappointing to see such a beautiful property go to the dumps due to lack of customer service. Sad really. I really do not think it is too much to ask for a good sleep and proper customer service. So it was December when we visited, and we come to Negril every year and will not stay at this property again. Too bad. Still haven't got that email.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Luckygracie
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Sandy Haven in Negril is one hotel that I will definitely return to. My daughter and I stayed at Sandy Haven during Christmas vacation. Well, what a wonderful; surprise. The facility is well kept, clean and updated. But what makes this resort so special is the staff. Everyone from the desk staff, waitstaff and housekeeping staff is just so friendly, professional and fun.
If you need a driver, be sure to call Ashton Pitt. He is a gentleman, very intelligent and reasonable. Ashton will take you on a side trip if you desire and I promise that you will be very impressed. His Jamaican phone number is +1 876 376 2174.
We will return to Negril and to Sandy Haven. You can bet on that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family