“Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandy Haven Resort

Sandy Haven Resort
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Chatsworth, Georgia
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I went to Sandy Haven in June 2013. This was our first trip without our little one and I have to admit, I was a bit scared. We were greeted with an amazing "rum punch" and the staff was wonderful. I decided on the ocean front room, which was such a great decision. Our room consisted of a king sized bed, hardwood floors, and the entire room including the bathroom was sleek and extremely clean. We had fresh towels and our room was cleaned everyday.
The resort is very quiet and laid back. We woke each morning and went to the front deck for FREE breakfast which consisted of fresh fruit, coffee, juice, toast, and muffins. The owner lives on the property and was extremely friendly and welcoming. I was pleasantly surprised at the security and how wonderful they were in insuring that we were not bothered while sunning at the beach or while enjoying the property. I highly recommend any drink from the bar (especially a rum punch or Miami vice). We ate at the bar several times, which was amazing. And we also went to Bongos twice. Overall, our experience was AMAZING. We will be returning hopefully this summer. You will not regret your stay at Sandy Haven! Don't forget to ask for Pops and Linten!
P.S. Sandy Haven is a short distance from Rick's Café, one of travelchannel's top 10 bars. The atmosphere is great, and you can't visit Rick's Café for a thrill unless you jump:)

Room Tip: Ocean front view allows you to see a picturesque view of sunset bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shanna K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just came back from a wonderful vacation from Negril and Sandy Haven made it even better. The staff is so nice and friendly. They are very quick to accomodate any problems you have as well. We booked a wonderful horse back ride on the beach through the hotel as well. The breakfast on the beach made every morning even better. All was very wonderful and relaxing. Overall I felt like I was home and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: i suggest rooms higher off the ground. I was on the ground floor and did not have much of a view...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Morgan S
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I feel that it is important to set the bar straight on this place. Looks are extremely deceiving and it it really too bad that the main problem is embedded at the top of the food chain at Sandy Haven Resort. I was a bit hesitant in booking this hotel as although there were many great reviews there were a few that struck me as a nightmare. Well, as luck would have it, the nightmare fell upon my stay at Sandy Haven. Now, with that being said, I can easily see someone as having a great experience at this hotel. The problem is if you run into an issue, there doesn't seem to be many customer service plans in place to satisfy the customer. Big issue for me, especially as they toot themselves as being a luxury resort. We checked in which was painless into a free upgrade that was a nice touch, only to find out that our shower was continuously leaking to the point where we couldn't sleep. Major drip. Ok fine, get someone to fix it, but they didn't send someone until the next day only to hear that it couldn't be fixed. Ok great you would think that it wouldn't be a problem to get another room, however we were downgraded to the bottom of the barrel room when we had booked a higher class. Also, the hot tub bleached out my brand new bikini and nothing was done about that either. My sister in law and I had to throw away two $100 dollar bathing suits due to this issue. We were invited to a managers party that was held in Bongos which stated free cocktails for an hour. Nice touch but the bartender failed to tell us what was included and what wasn't until we received our dinner bill with $100 in drinks that were $10.00 each as what we ordered wasn't on the "free" menu. It would have been nice to know that. Luckily they reversed a few but not all? Really? The real kicker of this whole fiasco of this "luxury" resort was when I FINALLY got to speak to the owner and that was a joke in itself. I waited all day to speak with her and when I approached her during the beach party. I was polite and explained that I was looking forward to having a few moments of her time to discuss the issues about my stay as none else could make an executive decision concerning our problems. Her answer amazed me. "I am going to eat now and I will find you later". WOW… just wow….. As most of you know, customer service is number one. This made me feel very unimportant and for $200 a night, not acceptable. Ok so I was patient and decided to have my own dinner, only to be interrupted mid bite by the owner stating that she was ready. Well I thought now or never, so away we went again in the middle of dinner to the lobby to discuss out problems. Long story short, this woman basically apologized and offered me a free upgrade for my next visit. She comped our buffet that night which we had to beg for originally and felt so uncomfortable. She said she was going to send me out a personal email to verify the "free" upgrade which in my opinion was a joke as they do it for everyone anyways. So if you are willing to risk it, you may have a good experience, but if you have a problem of any sort expect major frustrations and absolute lack of customer service that starts right with the owners. Good points. The free breakfast is fresh and good. The beach is nice and the bartenders are nice also. Pops the main concierge guy is great too. Bongos, the restaurant, do yourself a favour and eat somewhere else… many other AMAZING choices on Negril Beach and The Cliffs. It was extremely disappointing to see such a beautiful property go to the dumps due to lack of customer service. Sad really. I really do not think it is too much to ask for a good sleep and proper customer service. So it was December when we visited, and we come to Negril every year and will not stay at this property again. Too bad. Still haven't got that email.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Luckygracie
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Sandy Haven in Negril is one hotel that I will definitely return to. My daughter and I stayed at Sandy Haven during Christmas vacation. Well, what a wonderful; surprise. The facility is well kept, clean and updated. But what makes this resort so special is the staff. Everyone from the desk staff, waitstaff and housekeeping staff is just so friendly, professional and fun.
If you need a driver, be sure to call Ashton Pitt. He is a gentleman, very intelligent and reasonable. Ashton will take you on a side trip if you desire and I promise that you will be very impressed. His Jamaican phone number is +1 876 376 2174.
We will return to Negril and to Sandy Haven. You can bet on that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I found this hotel on Jetsetter.com, read the reviews and took the leap. We were very happy with our choice. The staff is friendly and wants to make sure you have what you need. We stayed in the ocean front on the third floor which was fantastic. The ceilings are very high in these rooms. The décor is modern, clean and pretty. Beach chairs are high end--no plastic stuff. The beach has plenty of shade under palm trees and umbrellas. We ate one night at Bongo's the hotel restaurant and it was very, very good. The corn/crab chowder is spectacular. We went snorkeling with Rondell. I would definitely return here and recommend Sandy Haven. You won't be disappointed. The only critique I have is that no one used the bed cabanas when we were there. They are $45 a day to rent. I think if they slashed that in half they would get used. I would have loved to have taken an afternoon nap but $45 seems too steep.

Room Tip: go for an ocean front--you're in Negril--you want to see the beach!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Our stay at Sandy Haven was fantastic. We stayed in a junior suite, which was lovely and big and beautifully decorated.

Th breakfasts were fabulous although the staff never seemed to be able to remember everything you'd ordered, even when they'd written it down. We joked about it most of the time but it was a bit ridiculous on our last morning and in the end we went over to the waiters area and served our own drinks and had to remind him no less than 4 times on one of our dishes.

The beach is paradise and Sandy Haven use their area very well. The beach bar does a great pina colada and rum punch. We did ask them to turn their radio down on one morning when it was literally blaring out commercials from the local radio station. They were fine about it though.

The only down side was that all of the equipment in the very small gym was out of order during our stay.

Negril is lovely and it's worth doing a catamaran / boat trip and paying a visit to Rick's Cafe for Sundowners. We also went to Alfreds one night for live music, which was great fun. We had dinner one evening at the Catch a falling Star resort, which is up in the Cliffs and a very romantic setting.

All in all we had such a relaxing and fantastic time in Negril, I'll definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite if you can.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank UKAlex500
Fort Salonga, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Just back from 6 days here. The staff was friendly. The room - 3rd floor ocean front- was modern and very clean. We only had dinner Saturday night for the beach BBQ. Good ribs and jerk chicken. We did have breakfast here everyday and enjoyed the continental option,eggs and omelets.
The Beach -- Plenty of chairs available and spots in the shade and the sun. What makes this place nicer is that there is room back from the beach front. This is important if you don't want to get hassled and bothered by the beach vendors all day long.
Negril is a beautiful beach. But, This a vendors paradise. You WILL be called to from the vendors who have tables and small shops there. You WILL be approached and offered EVERYTHING from juice to pot. Most of them are cool if you just say "No Thanks" and keep walking. Do NOT let the bracelet guy (or anyone else) put something on you saying it's free or whatever. The payment hand will be out in a flash. Even if you are walking to town they will look for cash just for pointing you ,then leading you to the road which is right behind the beach.
Sandy Haven (as most of the other hotels ) have guards that make sure you won't get bothered on the property.
We walked up and down the beach at night and did not have a problem.

Room Tip: If you are used to a softer bed,they have a cushion top for the bed.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple