“Had a great time...”

Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Had a great time...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Sandy Haven was overall a very good experience. The room was clean, the cleaners were always on time and always did a good job. After a 6 hour ride to get there because my flight was cancelled a complimentary rum punch was quite delightful and yummy...

The food was great, and the chiefs did and excellent job (Thanks Micheal) the bartender was excellent, Pops was wonderful and all the receptionists were very attentive and pleasant.

The owners were most pleasant and accommodating.

The hotel is situated in the heart of the hip strip so everything was a walk away, even the party life.

Overall I had an excellent, relaxing vacation could not have asked for anything more. :-)

Thanks a million (Kieva) ;-)

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice :-)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello Kieva!! It was really a pleasure hosting you for your vacation here at Sandy Haven Resort. We are extremely happy that you had such a great experience with us. Also, we are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed the hospitality of our warm and friendly staff whose aim is to always provide you; our valued guest with excellent customer service. I will most definitely pass on you regards to our Chef. Do join us for a future stay here at Sandy Haven Resort. All the best!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
Fort Washington, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I just got back from a wonderful vacation to Negril, Jamaica with my good friend and I would like to give my view and thoughts on the aforementioned Sandy Haven (SH) Resort. Sandy Haven has a lot of potential, but they just need to fix up a few things in order for it to really be what it calls itself, a luxurious boutique hotel. First, Sandy Haven isn't a boutique hotel, nor a resort for that matter. I would say it’s just a nice place to lay your head; maybe equal to a Holiday Inn Express (but with more bugs). SH isn’t luxurious either. We had to change rooms 3 times. We made our reservations online for a room with double beds, so when we got there, they wanted to give us a room with a king bed! The answer we got was that when reservations are made, they don't see the bed assignments! We eventually were sent to a room with double beds, but it wasn't cleaned or ready for guests (remember were assigned the Kind bed room originally). Then we went to the 2nd room...too many bugs and a broken A/C unit, then we were sent to a 3rd room (which looked like our original room). We were so tired that we said this is fine. Now mind you this room was missing a clock and the room prior was missing a phone. You have to ask for everything which can be a nuisance and time consuming, especially if you are on a time schedule. You also can't make outside calls. The front desk places them for you. There are also no safes in the rooms. You have to ask for one in hopes that someone has checked out so you can use the portable safe as there aren't enough to go around). The current information on their website isn’t accurate. You don’t get all of the features included on the list. Certain features are allotted for certain rooms (e.g. refrigerators/wine racks, robes/slippers are in the premium ocean front rooms, not deluxe rooms). You have to ask for things that are normally standard (dryer, iron, etc.) Now, because we paid a pretty penny and had to deal with so much on check-in day (yes 3 room changes on check-in day) one would think to make our ordeal better, Management would have given us one of the better rooms to help remedy the situation. But alas, we got the same type of room in which our bathroom had no door handle! But we were tired and hungry at this point. Most hotel establishments (at least the ones I have been to, would either upgrade you or give some type of perk(s) to make things right. At least in our case, Sandy Haven operated differently to say the least. We originally reserved a Superior Ocean View room. Well our view wasn’t of the ocean. It was that of the other hotel beside ours, Coco La Palm. We had like a corner view of the ocean, hidden by a few trees and one had to lean over the balcony to see any water. If you want a full view of the ocean and beach, then you will want to reserve the Ocean Front (premium suite) rooms which are more expensive. The positive is that SH really tries to give you a modern experience (minus the Fed. Gov't style phones in the rooms). The beds were hard though. You have to ask for a mattress pad and even then the only mattress pads they had were for the King beds, none for doubles. So we had to get "homemade, makeshift" padding made out of comforters and extra sheets. The bathrooms were okay; the double sinks were a nice touch. The showers had one glass partition, but no closure so it was a little cold taking a shower because you get a draft at times. Water pressure wasn't that great either and the sink stopped up a few times.

This hotel in general doesn't offer any all-inclusives per se, just outrageously priced food and drinks. On check-in night, we were so tired, we ate at the house restaurant...Bongos. First the positive, the food was really good, the negatives...overpriced, no free refills on soda, and you have to ask for the A/C to be cut on. I should've known something was up when my friend and I were the only ones in there. The waitress didn’t even tell us that there weren’t any free refills. My friend asked on a whim and found out the hard way (5 sodas later). Next, continental breakfast. The positive, it was nice to include (free), but the fruit was miniscule, the muffins were dry, but the coffee was delicious! We would eat their continental breakfast as an appetizer, then walk off property to find a heartier breakfast for a better price. SH offers a breakfast menu too, but again, pricey! There are far cheaper options up the beach (Country Country, Shereta's, etc.) where you get a lot for your money!

Another positive, the beach was nice and secure. The chairs always had towels and SH is on a nice stretch of the 7 mile beach. If you are looking for entertainment, SH doesn't offer any. It's really quiet. If you want action, then I suggest looking elsewhere for fun. Hotel amenities...pool: always dirty, jacuzzi: lukewarm or cool at times, massage: the best; well worth the price paid. Entertainment: none (at least when I was there). Water sports offered: none.

Now the owners...I agree with other reviewers who had mentioned that they played the “favorites” game. You could clearly see the difference in their interactions with other patrons and no one was treated the same. Unfortunately, this was disheartening because the owners should be unbiased and neutral to everyone, no matter who you are, where you come from and what you look like. My friend and I weren’t apart of the “favorites” team. I am a people person and I love engaging with people and good conversations, but with these two, the vibe I received was very off putting. The Staff: Love, love, love, the Sandy Haven staff. They were very sweet, pleasant and accommodating. The key is to be nice to them because they work so hard. A little respect goes a long way because in the end, they will look out for you, not management!

In the end, I didn't hate, nor did I love this hotel. I don't think I would come back to stay. Sandy Haven is trying too hard by making itself a posh establishment. The current model that SH is trying to create just doesn't fit the laidback, easygoing lifestyle of Negril. However, if SH can work out some of the kinks that they currently have, then SH could really be a very nice place to stay in Negril. Needless to say...if you still want to venture and try SH, I say go ahead because your experience maybe different. I just know I won't be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank nkh80
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Valued guest…Thank you for your review! It was great having you as guest of Sandy Haven Resort. We would most certainly like to thank you for your constructive comments. It is indeed our aim to provide our guest with the highest level of service within the industry so as to make each and every stay with us the best one yet! We are working assiduously to iron out a few start-up kinks so as to achieve that level of standard. We also do welcome your feedback as this is another way in which we know what your experiences were like while vacationing with us and hence, the Sandy Haven Management team can put in place remedial actions. We are however pleased that you have found the Sandy Haven staff so warm, friendly and so accommodating. I will most definitely pass on your regards to them. I hope that you will one day join us for a future visit.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at Sandy Haven and could not have been more pleased with the accommodations and the facility. In our opinion, however, it is the service that set Sandy Haven apart from most of the other places we've stayed in the Carribbean. From the owners down to the bellman, we were constantly greeted with smiles and genuine interest about whether we were having a good time and if there was anything the staff could do to make things more enjoyable. The first night we were there we had some problems with the remote-controlled air conditioner (the room was too cold, believe it or not, and we could not get the A/C to turn off). After my husband mentioned the issue, we had three visits to the room the next day to make sure all was well. One more bit of advice: don't miss the owner's reception (free wine, red stripe and rum punch) on Thursday evening or the beach party buffet with live music on Friday night.

Dear Skippy
Thank you for your sincere review!! It was an absolute delight having you and husband here as guests of Sandy Haven Resort. We are quite thrilled that you both had such a lovely vacation with us. We both can agree that the Manager’s Cocktail held every Thursday is a great way of having guests, like yourself mingle with owners/mangers in a very quiet, serene and relaxed atmosphere (Bongos). Of course, Bongos on the Beach held every Friday is no exception either. We are particularly delighted that you enjoyed the overall facilities offered here and we do look forward to having you vacation with us in the near future!!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

First off 4 stars for a hotel in Negril. It would be a 3 1/2 elsewhere.

Checkin - complimentary rum punch was nice but the check in process took 35 minutes. This has been the longest checkin time in my travels.

Room/Facilities - This is a remodel of a previous hotel, everything is freshly painted but you can tell it's an old building. Room was spacious, clean, and a/c was cold. Bathroom was clean and the shower was clean as well. What more can you ask for? One thing that may bother some people is the music that is played at night, light sleepers may find the bass a bit annoying. I was able to sleep through it.

Service - No room service, cleaning ladies were on time and always did a great job. Stephen the owner talked to us from time to time, very nice guy. Everyone that works there is nice and says hello. EVERYONE! You don't get that at many places.

Bongos - Did not eat there b/c the prices were pretty steep. We did eat breakfast there every day. It was decent food but was nice b/c it's an American breakfast. Eating Jamaican food 3 times a day can get boring.

Beachfront - Daybeds are for rent at 35 a day. We opted for the regular chairs. There is a security guard that keeps the locals from selling you stuff....major win. They can get frustrating after a while..."no man i don't want any weed or blow".

*addendum - couple places to eat. Sun beach next door, cosmos is a 10 minute walk south of SH - very good food, Ivans for dinner. You'll have to cab it to ivans but I recommend it, great views.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in building 1.
1 Thank phanzy
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Hello Phanzy…It was truly a great pleasure hosting you here at Sandy Have Resort. We definitely appreciate the time out you took to give us your constructive feedback. We welcome positive comments and feedback and are thrilled to learn of your experience with us. Our main goal here is to ensure that our guests receive the best quality service at all times as we strive to meet and exceed their expectations. Our team is delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere and warm hospitality. We look forward to a future visit from you. All the best!!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We needed a break from the stress of the normal day to day life. So we were looking for a vacation Haven (away from home) in Jamaica other than Montego Bay. We were told about Sandy Haven and we weren't disappointed. The property is amazing, the room deco and lust grounds are truly tropical.
The staff was great, friendly and informative. They attended to our every need whether it was for nightlife, tours, extra towels, bucket to Ice, ironing service(which was free) or to provide a hair dryer.

The owners, what can I say, wonderful people! They definitely made you feel as if you were a guest in their home. The owners spoke and mingled with everyone that I saw. From what I could see and talking to the other quest the owners and staff went over and beyond to ensure that the guest concerns were attended to.

Overall, Sandy Haven was a wonderful vacation! I would definately recommend staying here with your family, freinds or a romantic getaway. I would like to thank all of the wonderful people that work at Sandy Haven. You really made the memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Sharon, thank you so much for your lovely review! We of course continue to encourage guests and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our unique property so much! We are also pleased to learn that you enjoyed the warm hospitality of our staff and the services they provided that made your stay here with us so great. We do hope to see you again soon!!
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I read every review of Sandy Haven before staying here with a friend in mid July. Having just returned, I feel obliged to provide my experience at this hotel.

Room. . . Upon check in we were given rum punch which was very good and a small bottle of Appleton Rum. We were excited to receive these items. However, we had the unfortunate experience of having to change rooms three times due to the following: Room 1 was not cleaned, toilet seat didn't properly fit the toilet, Room 2: Nice toilet, loads of bugs, air conditioner was broken, missing telephone, Room 3: This was the best room and since we were exhausted we decided to put up with the toilet seat not fitting the toilet properly. The room was spacious, had a flat screen TV, beautiful laminate wood flooring, a huge balcony, and modern looking furniture. The shower was a bit odd since it didn't close and every shower ended up with water on the floor. We also had a room with no door handles on the door to the shower and toilet. This may seem minor to some but it is frustrating when using the toilet and all of a sudden the door flies open (and you are staying with a friend). We had no towel rack by the sink to wipe our hands (since we saw other rooms we know that this was an oversight). The amenities offered in the room were a bit disappointing given the price paid. The website claims to offer the usual amenities one would expect from a luxury hotel, however, there are no safes, no slippers/robes, makeup mirrors, mini bar, no hair dryer, iron, no welcome book, and our room was missing an alarm clock when we arrived. This hotel promotes itself as a luxury stay. I'm not sure what point of reference was used but this hotel is far from luxurious. You have to call the front desk for EVERYTHING which you may or may not get. This process is terribly inefficient. I would suggest that the owners provide basic amenities in the room with instructions (as most hotels do) to allow the front desk staff more time to deal with real issues. I think people who stay in the ocean front rooms receive a very different experience since we were able to view this room, we saw how well appointed it was with built in safes, a wine fridge, slippers. These rooms were very nice in comparison with the lower priced rooms. Even the furniture and tiles were different. It was amazing to see such a difference but it allowed me to understand the favoritism and the caste system at Sandy Haven.

Dining on property. . . .My advice is to avoid dining on property. Our first night we were tired and starving therefore we decided to try Bongos. These prices were ridiculous for the amount of food received. The food was very good but did not command the exorbitant prices. We were not told that our soda was not a free refill and were charged 1.60 for each 10 oz glass (other establishments in the area give you the bottle, this was truly a small serving of soda). We ordered 5 refills before we decided to confirm. We were very upset as most dining establishments explain the refill policy upfront. We paid for dinner and NEVER ate there again. As others suggested there are far better dining choices on the beach and cliffs at more reasonable prices. Some restaurants even offer free pick up. For the included continental breakfast you get champagne, coffee, slivers of fruit, and a muffin. This is the saddest continental breakfast I have ever seen. However, since it was included in the price, we ate it most days as a breakfast appetizer then walked down the beach or the road for a real breakfast (i.e. Country Country, Shereta's, Colletes). I also suggest walking across the street to the pink shack house for water and snacks. Sandy Haven does not provide vending machines or any type of store onsite to buy toiltetries, snacks, water, and etc.

Pool. . . .We were never able to swim in the pool because it looked dirty the entire time we were there. In fact, we asked about the pool cleaning schedule and were told that it was cleaned everyday. It was not since the same dead bugs were floating in it during our 6 day stay. It appeared to have some sort of sediment at the bottom, I wasn't sure if it was dirt or rust. The jacuzzi was nice but it was never warm, we were not sure if the temperature gauge was broken.

Staff. . . .By far the best thing about Sandy Haven is their staff!! The staff is hardworking and extremely polite and pleasant. The waitress in the morning (Trece) did an outstanding job of telling us about Negril and offering advice when asked about the location. Our breakfast service was never a long wait albeit we never ordered anything more than the continental. The bellman/maintenance/therapists staff, Delroy and Vince, were extremely wonderful. I could tell that some of our concerns were not the first time being voiced. Shalette at the bar was very courteous and made the best drinks (they are pricey for the beach). The front desk staff (Alicea) was extremely accommodating and always super polite!!! I enjoyed and looked forward to speaking with the staff everyday. Even Fidel at the gate was warm and endearing. The entire staff at Sandy Haven tried really hard to fix situations that were out of their control.

Activities Offered. .. The other bright spot about Sandy Haven are the massages. We paid 85 plus tip for a deep tissue massage and it was phenomenal. These were the only reasonable prices in the hotel and well worth it. Yes you could find cheaper prices on the beach for a massage, but, the massage we received at Sandy Haven was well worth every penny plus the tip we left. I get massages on a regular basis so I know a good massage. In terms of other activities, there are none. We didn't bother to go to the beach picnic they had which was 30 dollars (and didn't include drinks). We also didn't go to the managers cocktail reception. After speaking with other guests, it was good that we didn't go as per usual the atmosphere was expensive and boring. Sandy Haven does offer very comfortable lounge chairs and fresh towels are put out everyday. We enjoyed using the lounge chairs to soak up the sun. The beach is wonderful and it was a delight to play in the water and walk the beach everyday.

The owners of Sandy Haven. . . . Okay. Before arriving to Sandy Haven I was looking forward to the owners’ greeting because I know that they respond regularly on tripadvisor and seemed to care. However, I have to agree with previous reviewers about the owners’ favoritism of guests. We were finally greeted by Stephen on our 3rd or 4th day. It was a pleasant conversation. Ann barely spoke to us until the last day and I mean we were sitting in the lobby with our luggage when she finally said more than hello. I didn't even know who she was until one of the staff told me. I saw her in the morning arranging tables at breakfast and speaking with other guests but she never said anything to us. Back to Stephen, he told us that they opened this hotel in 7 months and that everyone was wondering how they did it. I found that comment to be quite pretentious and amusing since there are so many issues with the hotel that could have been fixed properly and done correctly if given more time. The hotel is suffering from overzealous owners. Many reviews on here stated that they are working out the kinks, I disagree, for Stephen to have so many years in the hospitality business, I expect a higher standard (i.e. quality control on furnishings, clean pool, AC that works, etc.). If Sandy Haven didn't try to promote itself as luxurious, my expectations wouldn't have been so high. Based on the website and early reviews I thought I was getting a true luxury experience, I was wrong. Also, I feel that if Sandy Haven was upfront about which rooms got what amenities, I would have been able to make a more informed decision. If you look at their website, they do not distinguish guest room amenities by the category of room; therefore, a potential guest would never know that the lowest category room doesn’t come with certain items (wine fridge, slippers, robe, safe, etc.).

The owners definitely have a caste system in place at this hotel. The ocean front guests get top priority and attention and would probably rate this hotel much higher, the lower rate guests are semi attended to. If you are staying on the groupon rate, good luck! We met folks who used the groupon and they were given many hassles upon check in and subpar rooms i.e. leaky faucets, AC problems, etc. !!!

Yes it's smaller so that part is right, but there is nothing boutique about it. Boutique hotels are quaint, have character, cute, sophisticated and offers some of what the bigger hotels do but just on a smaller level. Sandy Haven looked like a nice Comfort Inn of Negril! I guess the owners thought that they could add a flat screen TV and change the linens then all of a sudden it's a boutique hotel! Needless to say I will not be staying here for any future visits. I may stop by to say hello to the staff. I don't discourage anyone from coming here but don't expect a luxury hotel. Again, had my expectations not been so high (and the price tag) it could have been a great stay. This hotel is extremely over priced for what they offer.

Room Tip: Bring your confirmation email especially if you used a special rate. Don't eat on premise. Pleas...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
15 Thank erishp
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Erishp…Thank you for your review of Sandy Haven Resort. We most definitely appreciate and look forward to each and every comment/feedback given by our past guest. Indeed every individual experiences will differ and hence this is the opportunity for us, the management team to correct errors made and provide suitable solutions to remedy each situation. Sincere apologies for the misfortune you have experienced while vacationing with us but be assured that all our efforts are geared toward perfecting Sandy Haven Luxury Boutique Hotel to become the best of its kind while maintaining high quality standards. We are particularly delighted that you found the hospitality of our staff so warm and accommodating. I’ll be sure to pass on your regards to them (Alicea, Vince, Delroy, Trece, Pops and the Massage Therapist Angie). Once more thank you for your review and we hope that you will visit us in the near future.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Ok, so from the second we pulled up we were greeted with a warm inviting welcome! We were seated in a beautiful open lobby for check in and offered a delicious rum punch. Pops took our luggage to our room and was extremely helpful in filling us in on the place and all it had to offer. He was very attentive and so friendly. It was extemely nice to have such a pleasurable arrival after traveling all day.

The rooms were beautifully decorated, very modern. They were a lot bigger than we had anticipated and it made packing and unpacking very easy because things weren't hidden or cluttered. Love, love, loved the bathroom and showers. A large mirror hung in the "closet" area which was excellent for dressing. The double vanity sinks got my husband and I in and out in a short amount of time. The balcony was also larger than expected. It was wonderful leaving the door open at night and feeling the ocean breeze. It was not loud and very relaxing.

The beach was AMAZING! Very well kept. The water was crystal clear! The vegitation on the property was great, tons of fruit trees, and things I had never heard of. This made the place so authentic to Jamaica. The beach front bar was great! You could grab a drink and lounge or sit at the bar. The bar had a slight over hang, so even during those afternoon showers you could still sit, relax, and enjoy! The bar tenders were so much fun to sit and talk to, they really made it a good time. Definately try the "Love 101" (Andrea's special), It was to die for!

Bongos, the restaurant in the hotel was very romantic! It had low lighting and candles on each table. The servers were great! They kept our drinks full and were also very pleasant to talk to. They could answer any question you had about the menu, and did it with a friendly smile. The food was delicious and also contained different fruits and vegetalbes that aren't native to the states. They had a cook out on the beach with live music, this was a blast. The beach was surrounded by tiki torches and looked super pleasing to the eye. The food was so fresh and so delicious! Some of the staff....you kow who you are ;), were excellent dancers and managed to get my husband to try out his horrible moves. Fun! Fun! Fun!

The owners, what can I say, wonderful people! They definitely made you feel as if you were a guest in their home. I was reading other reviews about how they played favorites and I would have to disagree! The owners spoke to everyone! When we first arrived, we were not aware that they were the owners. We saw them speaking to many of the guest staying at Sandy Haven and we simply thought they were guest themselves. They spoke to my husband a I a lot and made sure our stay was above and beyond expectation. They even went as far as to walk around the property with us and shared what the trees and plants were (we were amazed.) Upon leaving the property, they made sure we had a safe ride and and even called over the cab for us and told them where we needed to go. I hate that people would post anything negative about them because we saw up close and from a far how friendly and accomadating they were to everyone. I guess if you give off an "I don't want to be bothered" vibe, thats exactly what you'll get.

Overall, Sandy Haven was a wonderful vacation! So relaxing, so fun, so beautiful! I would definately recommend staying here with your family, as a couple, or even with friends! I really would like to thank all of the wonderful people that work at Sandy Haven. You really made the stay! I wish I could have you all over to my home and show you the same hospitality that you provided to my husband and myself.

SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hello Corey and Alex!
Thank you for taking the time to write this fabulous review of Sandy Haven Resort! It is indeed refreshing! We of course welcome these positive comments and feedback and are thrilled to learn of your experience with us. Our team is delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere and warm hospitality. We both can agree that Sandy Haven is beautiful property and it is surely a new addition to the beach side luxury accommodations. We are extremely happy that you found the hospitality of the owners so warm and friendly. I’ll be sure to extend your warm regards to them as well as to the rest of the staff (Andre, Trece, pops) letting them know about the great time you had while vacationing with us. It is indeed our pleasure to ensure that you receive total satisfaction and that your needs are met promptly!! We are also pleased to learn that you loved the amenities in your room and that it suited your particular style and tasting. We are definitely looking forward to hosting you again here at Sandy Haven Resort!!!