“Good Hotel+Great Staff+Awesome Beach=Wonderful Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Legends Resort

Legends Resort
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Tiffin, OH
“Good Hotel+Great Staff+Awesome Beach=Wonderful Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My wife of 23 years and our 17 & 14 year-old sons stayed at Legends Resort Negril from March 28 until April 4th.
The following are my observations, evaluations and recommendations.
First up- The room: Beach side, ground floor, 307.
This is a budget hotel, which we knew going in, so we weren’t shocked by the room not looking like one you’d find at Sandals. The beds are comfortable, but a little small. The full size mattresses sit on Queen sized platforms, which make them seem even smaller. Upon request, the housekeeper brought us a hide-away bed for extra sleeping space. There’s a small dresser and wardrobe with hangers & shelves, which were big enough for the job at hand. The cable TV has adequate choices (cartoon network, CNN, STARZ, BBC news). The bathroom is small (5X7ft), but always had plenty of hot water. As you’ve probably already read elsewhere, there is hotel-sized bar soap supplied, but no shampoo. We bring our own shampoo anyway, so no problem. No cup in the BR, so I grabbed a few plastic ones from the bar. You’re supplied with bath towels, washcloths, & a foot towel. A housekeeper comes at around 9 every morning to collect dirty towels. You’re returned fresh towels later when your room is cleaned. The housekeepers do a good job of cleaning, although about half of our days we told the housekeeper not to worry about cleaning our room. You do need to bring beach towels, or buy them upon arrival, as the hotel does not supply them. “Hassle-free Harry” (from Mumbai!) sells towels 3 for $25 just 100 feet down the beach. There was no chair in the room, so I borrowed one from the restaurant for the duration of our stay (it doesn’t exactly require a rocket scientist to solve most of these problems). I love classic reggae, but I couldn’t find a decent classic Reggae radio station. I found BBC news, and two stations that played kind of a hip-hop reggae/dancehall mix, but the radio DJs would never shut up enough for me to hear the tunes. If you want room tunes bring a CD or MP3 player. There’s a LCD clock on the telephone, but it’s impossible to read when it’s dark. Bring a battery operated travel clock if you really want to know what the time is. I’m happy to report that the only insect we found in the room was a cricket one evening, which was easily shooed out the door. The AC and ceiling fan were a little loud, but worked well, which is all that really mattered. I’d probably rate this room a ‘C’ anywhere else; but in Jamaica, where this room was 50ft from the pool, 75ft from the bar restaurant, & 125ft from the beach: a solid ‘A’.
Second category-The food:
This was our first non all-inclusive stay on Jamaica. My teenagers have reached the age where they’re charged full AI price, so the price difference was fairly staggering: Apple vacations quoted us an extra $85 per person per day for AI. Upon arrival, we were offered a rate of $65 pp/pd to upgrade, but we figured we could eat pretty well for $260 ($22,600 Jamaican) per day, and we did. A polite inquiry and our housekeeper produced a cooler that had been orphaned by a previous guest. The ‘Time ‘N’ Again’ mini-mart next to the Times Square Mall across the street kept us well supplied. The Time ‘N’ Again is run by an incredibly nice guy named Norris. And the prices were very fair: a 10 lb. bag of ice for our cooler ran 200J$ (~$2.25 US), 2 liters of Coke zero were 150J$ (~$1.70), and the variety of packaged chips, cakes & cookies was excellent.
As for restaurant meals, we spread the wealth around. The breakfast buffet at Legends ($8.50 pp) was always good, as well as convenient. The lunch buffet at Legends runs $10, and 14.50 for dinner. I would recommend an inspection of the choices before committing. The Thursday night Jamaican Buffet was excellent. Several times my sons ordered grilled cheese or burgers & fries off the menu (~$8) and they were good. And one evening ‘Momma’, the main chef, made a strip steak (~$17) for my wife that was good.
For dinner our first night we ate very good burgers & fries (~$8.50) at the Bar-B-Barn three properties down the beach. For several lunches we bought patties (100-200J$): the Hammond Bakery by the rotary has good beef & cheese patties, patties from the Manley Blvd vendors were good, but the patties we bought from Nevil (he sells patties on the beach from a cooler mounted on his bike) were a disappointment. We did allow our teenagers to eat lunch one afternoon at the Burger King at the Rotary, which they enjoyed completely.
Our best dinners were the ones we enjoyed at Angela’s, upstairs at the Bar-B-Barn. I would gladly eat there every night, and we did consume three of our seven dinners there. We probably would have eaten there more if we hadn’t waited to try them until our third night. I can highly recommend both the Fettuccini Alfredo with Bacon and the Chicken Parmesan. But if you only have one chance to eat there, get the pizza, it is to die for. The atmosphere of Angela’s is wonderful, as are the servers, Robert in particular.
The Beach:
Yes, Legends only has 100 feet of beach. So what-it’s enough. The sand is awesome. The water is warm with a very slowly descending sand bottom. If you want a beach chair or umbrella, get there early and/or talk to Michael the “Beach Boss”. If you walk the beach you’ll be offered Ganja or hair-braiding repeatedly, but a polite “no” is usually enough to dissuade the salesmen. The only things we purchased on the beach were some so-so patties from Nevil and 30 minutes of amazing jet skiing ($35US) from Sherlock. Other legal items for sale by wandering beach vendors included fresh fruits, fruit juices, cigarettes, wood carvings, and cooked lobster tails. The lobster tails were $7US for small and $10 for large, and were quite good according to a person I spoke with who purchased some.
The Pools:
The pools were clean and had plenty of chairs available. There is a good sized pool at the back of the garden side property that seems hardly used. We used the beachside pool, which was smaller, but never too small.
Samsara and snorkeling:
The water visibility for snorkeling off the Legend’s beach is superb, but there’s not much to see. I’m the only snorkeler in our group, so one morning I took the free shuttle to Legend’s sister property Samsara. There were swells, so the entry/exit from the water was a little tricky, but the snorkeling was extremely good. The resort itself seemed very nice, with great views and a constant breeze. The place seemed deserted during my brief stay there. Most of the guests must go on excursions during the day. After an hour of swimming & a half hour of lounging, I decided to head back to Legends. I didn’t feel like waiting several hours for the shuttle, & I couldn’t find a route taxi right away, so I just walked back to Legends, which was very interesting. I don’t recommend walking from Samsara to the downtown Negril rotary as the road is very narrow, and cars pass closely. The walk from the rotary north to Legends is flat and on a wide berm, which makes for a pleasant and leisurely walk, and one that I took almost daily.
And while I’m on the subject of walking: walking around Negril can be a bit of a challenge. If I had a dollar (US) for every time I was offered “Bob Marley smoke” or a taxi, I could retire to Negril today. These are poor folks offering something they know many tourists want to buy, and hope that you’re one of those. Usually, a polite “no” is enough, but not always. I stand 6’3” tall and weigh over 300 lbs, and I’m not easily intimidated. But I was amazed a few times at the chutzpah of some Ganja sellers. I was only physically accosted once, by a female meth head on the bridge over the Negril River at 6:30 one morning. She was straight out panhandling, though, not selling anything. She grabbed at me, and then cursed me when I easily sidestepped her and continued over the bridge. Oh well. I said a prayer for her. She was not typical of the Jamaicans I dealt with, who were wonderful and friendly.
All in all, we had a wonderful vacation at Legends. My pre-vacation worry about not going all inclusive was unfounded. The restaurant at Legends, with Momma the cook, Andrea, Fiona and many other wonderful workers is an excellent place to eat But there are plenty of other dining choices nearby, especially Angela’s, that you should patronize. And I must present a final compliment to the Legend’s manager, Mr. Paul Wilson, who was very helpful in making our stay a success.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank UncleRemus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Jamaica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My family and I stayed at Legends hotel for 5 days and it was the worse experience ever. We have two teenager daughters and from the moment we walked into this room it was a disappointment. Thefurniture is old the few hangers in the closet are old, there is no chair, radio, or clock in the room. There is no real bathtub however, you do have hot water and you get clean towels everyday. I booked a beachside which I assume was an oceanview room, need less to say I was very disappointed about that, the so called gardenside is on the other side of the street which cost so much less. The food in the restaurant was just terrible, i ordered jerk chicken dinner white meat and ended up with dark meat and after speaking with the manager we were told they ran out of white meat nothing else was offered to us and we had to pay for this meal which we did not even touch. The only positive side to this hotel are the staff in the restaurant, Tiffany, Raquel, Millicent and Andrea they were always very pleasant and friendly.
I could not wait for my vacation to be over so that I could leave this place. This hotel needs a major overhaul. dont let the pictures on the internet fool you, they were probably taken when this hotel was first built.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank wondrwmn

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Osseo, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

The staff at Legends was wonderfull. Paul and his wait/kitchen staff were so nice and kind to us, they helped us with anything we needed and were very freindly. Michael the beach security guard was wonderful. If anyone approached on the beach that was unwelcome he was right there to tell them to move on. Everyone was great. When it came to our wedding day, they had everything so perfect and efficiant. We did not have to worry about a thing. Our room was decrated with flowers and a fruit basket and the place looked beautiful. Thank you to each and everyone who made our wedding/honeymoon a great time to remember always!

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Icetonic
Brugge, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Legends Beach Resort, Negril, Jamaica
liesenluc, Brugge, Belgium.
We just returned from Negril, after a 2 week stay in Legends. We enjoyed our holiday very much, thanks to the people working in Legends. Yes, it is a 3 stars hotel, but you know this before booking, so do not expect 5 stars. When you enter the room, it looks more like a 1 star room that needs renovation, but it is very clean and everything works. This means, you have a kingsize bed, a small wardrobe, with some old coat-hangers, a big make-up table with a big mirror, but without a chair, the shower is hot and the TV works, and you have fresh towels every day, only 1 per person. And you get soap. There is nothing more in the room to talk about, because there is nothing more. If you need a chair in the room, you have to take one from the balcony and if you need a glass in the bathroom, you have to take one from the restaurant. If you book this hotel, you know it is small, so do not expect a great buffet. Breakfast is good with good coffee, toast, very good tropical fruitplate, good cheese and tomatoes, good cakes baked by the hotel, and very good omellettes prepared like you want, sometimes bacon or pancakes, good juices and so on...More than enough. Lunch and dinner are a little the same style. The big difference is that you have 1 sort of potage too in the evening . There are always fresh vegetables (2 sorts) and 1 hot vegetable, choice between rice and potatos, or pasta and potatos, mostly choice between 1 meat and 1 fish plate, and for dessert, there is always fresh prepared cake, but this is very, very good and some fruit. You can end with thé or coffee. It is not grand cuisine, but it is not bad,sometimes it is even good and a few times it is disappointing, like the jamaican stew we had on our last day...., we did not know what kind of meat we were eating, it was all fat and bone....We had all inclusive but mineral water, red stripe and wine are to be payed. But there is always fresh purified water available, and the choice in coctails is more than enough and they are good. We had a room with sea view, this means we were above the restaurant and bar, so very close to everything. We were there in spring break and the music from the neighbour-hotel was so loud, that we had some very bad nights, drunken people entering their room in the night is not so pleasant too. But after all we are very happy with our stay! Why?? Well, you are not a number in this hotel, the people working there are all so helpfull and kindly and after a week they know already your wishes. And the location of the hotel is great, you are always at the sea and the beach. It is so lovely to take the breakfast, lunch and dinner outside. We went 1 time at the sister hotel Samsara, we did not go back, because you have to eat inside and you miss the atmosphere of the beach. If you want to have more quietness, go to the other side of the street where there is a very lovely swimmingpool. There is always a person to help you to cross the street, so no problem. And the sea and beach are so beautifull and the sunsets are marvellous. Yes, when you walk along the beach, there are always people who try to sell you things, but this is not so worse, be kindly to them and they do not urge you, they are just doing their job. And remember, Jamaica is a poor country, so have some understanding with them. We had a very happy time in Legends, thanks to Donna and Donna, thank to Raquel, Cynthia, Yvonne and all the other lovely people there who are trying every day to make your stay great. Some tips, take a thermos with you, so you can fill it with a fresh drink for the night, take towels for the beach with you and go with an open mind, you will have a lovely holiday there!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank liesenluc
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Stayed at Legends Feb 2010. Room was clean with hot shower, TV and AC.
Super location on best part of beach. Security keeps vendors away unless you wish to urchase something. Good variety of tasty food. Staff is very helpful; thanks Glenford (Wayne) for everything! Tom-Canada say hi!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tmorgan9006
Lauren Murphy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

The title of this review should be all you need to know. Avoid this hotel. We arrived to discover that the hotel was overbooked and there was no room available for us (we made the reservation six weeks in advance). The staff told us not to worry, because they had booked us a room at the sister hotel, Samsara. Samsara is fine, but is a completely separate hotel that is NOT on the beach and is an entirely different experience (not the beach vacation we were planning - we were able to get to the beach via a shuttle bus that only runs twice a day, or had to pay for a cab). The staff lied to us and told us that we would only have to stay there the first night, until they got the situation straightened out. It turned out they had no intention of resolving the situation, and they had us booked for our entire trip at Samsara. The reservations manager was only in the office from noon until five, and refused to come to the front desk to speak with us in person. We had to communicate with her through her ridiculously unhelpful and powerless staff who looked at us with vacant expressions, shrugged their shoulders, and gave us absurd explanations for the mistake like "We can't see reservations before the day the guest arrives - it's just how our computer system works." The reservations manager literally HID from us - we could actually hear her through the wall telling her staff to inform us she was out of the office. They did not compensate us AT ALL for the inconvenience. With all other beachfront hotels booked at such short notice, we had no choice but to stay at Samsara for the full trip (only four days, which means we wasted valuable time trying to deal with their mistake). That said, Legends is not even a nice hotel. We would have preferred the location to Samsara, but even if we'd gotten a room at Legends, I would have been disappointed. Generally subpar, very crowded beach front, mediocre food, not even good for a bargain hotel. Look elsewhere, unless you want to risk having your vacation royally screwed up by the incompetent idiots who run this place. Sad. Definitely go to Negril - just don't deal with this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank wonkmurphy
NegrilhotelsManager, Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for not having your room available and deeply regret the inconvenience. On very rare occasions guests are relocated due to inclement weather, flight cancellations, or technical issues. Unfortunately your post gives the impression that this is somehow a regular event, which is not true.

For the sake of accuracy and fairness to readers of this forum, it is therefore important to correct your record of the events.

The reservations manager did speak with you, in person, at length, inviting you into her office, assisting you while you spoke with your travel service on the phone. She made a number of offers to compensate for the inconvenience, all of which you refused. Some of the offers she made included giving you a full refund on your booking and to personally assist you in finding alternative accommodations to your liking; she also offered you complimentary daily breakfast as well as complimentary spa treatments for you and your friend. You did not wish to accept any of these gestures. We made every attempt to make the best out of a regrettable situation, which understandably may have not been acceptable to you. But to represent that our team was indifferent to your feelings and made no effort to ensure your comfort is grossly incorrect.

Our colleagues and travel partners consistently compliment our reservations and front desk team for their accuracy, professionalism, and courteous attention.

Thank you for your time. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

Don't get me wrong...the property at Legends is beautiful....but once you open the door to your room, you are in for a rude awakening.
The room is very basic...the bed is oddly placed...and it takes up most of the room.
If you want a basic clean room, then Legends is for you..If you want to vacation, and feel like you are on vacation..then this is not the place for you.
The service here sucks. I went during one of their busiest times, during ATI/Dream Weekend....over 20 parties in 3 or 4 daysl...this is also the Jamaican Independence Day Celebration.
They over booked rooms, people had to find other places to stay, which was ridiculous being that everything was already sold out..
I did not like the resort and the first day, I said I would not stay and wanted my money back.
Luckily for me, I only paid the deposit and not the full balance. They refused to give my money back, and tried to charge my credit card repeatedly for nights that I was not at the hotel.
The front desk manager was rude, the staff was rude. the only thing I like about Legends was the restaraunt..and the food was not that great. I have been to Jamaica 4 times, and Legends is the worst place so far...
if you want a great place worth your money...check out Rondel Village.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends