“Loved every bit of it.”

Legends Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 24, 2006

-Our destination in Negril was Legend Beach Resort.
Now, I had been reading a lot of reviews about this
place for the past 6 months, many of them were pretty
harsh (some of them on Trip Advisor was total [---] I think)
on this place and I was really worried about staying here................but my worries soon faded as we were greeted by friendly faces at the check-in desk.

Legends is your basic beach hotel, nothing fancy, very clean, very very friendly staff and the food and drink selection at the bar as well as the atmosphere in the restaurant was awesome to say the least. From the check-in desk, to the house keepers, to the waitresses, bar tender, you name it, everyone was very accomodating and friendly. By the 2nd day, they were calling us by our names and made every effort to provide us with what ever we wanted.

The beach was not very big, but there was plenty of room for all the beach chairs, umbrellas, etc and plenty of room to just lay out in the sand and run around. The staff cleaned the beach every morning.

We stayed on the Garden side of the resort, we had 2 room side by side. They were very basic, clean, very comfortable beds and of course, cable tv, air conditioning, and a balcony. The gardens were very well-kept and the pool was big and inviting.

Our first meal at Legends was just to die for. We were greeted by "Mama Yvonne" one of the cooks and she would be the lady serving us every day we were there. On the menu, Curried goat (yum) curried chicken, rice and peas, fresh veggies some of the best dessert on the island.

As I said before, some of the reviews really tore this place down, but I can't imagine why. The food was just awesome.
We had the all-inclusive plan which worked out great for us being a family of 5. We had our 3 meals each day and unlimited drinks from the bar from 10am to 10pm. They had a 2 page listing of mixed drinks to choose from, draft beer as well as unlimited Ting, Pepsi, fruit juices, etc.

There were some reviews on here about the bar service and that you could only have rum punch, not so!! Believe me, most of the stories and harsh reviews are probably just a crock.

Mike, the security guard at Legends, is a very nice and fiercely loyal fellow to the resort and to the guests. I always made sure to buy him a Red Stripe and drop him a few bucks now and again.

WORD OF ADVICE: Use bug spray with Deet for sand fleas. When the sun goes down and if you are not wearing repellant, you are toast!!!

Now folks, I told you about the friendly people (staff) at Legends and here are a few of them. Yvonne works in the kitchen and serves the food at the buffet line; very generous portions and you can always go back for seconds, contrary to some of the other reports here. Angela works the bar and is a very pleasant soul. Some of our servers; Celia and Theresa, loved them. Always friendly and always eager to please the guests.

For a family of 5, this was right on the money and the all-inclusive is the way to go. It's not a 5 star resort, just your basic, clean, friendly and family oriented little resort. We had lots of fun and we looks forward to going back.

We have stayed at 4 star even 5 star resorts in the past (when we had less kids of course) but we would not trade this experience at Legends to go anywhere else.

If you need any further info, feel free to email me at jjgoulbourne@hotmail.com

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank jjandmel

Reviewed June 10, 2006

I stayed at Ledgends sister hotel Samsara but was down at Legends enjoying their beach almost everyday of our stay. This was my third time staying with this hotel in a one year time period.

The bar and restauran staff was very nice. The location is great and the beach is beautiful. Orrett who works for Legends offers snorkeling trip which I've done with him everytime. He's a great guy and has the best rates on the beach.

This is a budget hotel so if you keep that in mind you will be fine. The place is clean and safe, they have a security gaurd at the street side and on the beach. They have two pools and lush green grounds. Definitley take the free shuttle up to Samsara and check it out for a day.

• Stayed: June 2006
12  Thank LoveinLA12
Reviewed June 8, 2006

For the money, this is a great little hotel. Book your room beachside so you do not have to cross the road (even though they have a crossing guard, it is just easier to get back and forth). When we travel to the island, we usually have our son with us yet this time he stayed at home due to school. This is why we decided to stay in a regular hotel, not all-inclusive, to experience a new side of Jamacia. More importantly, we wanted to eat and shop with the locals. We discovered some great little places to eat......Alfred's (every breakfast, great prices, excellent quality, and big portions!), and Kubuya, next to Legends, were among our favorite places to eat. The Rasta Pasta at Legends was excellent also and the food is served at small intimate tables right on the beach. The hotel owners son, Nestor, was our waiter and a pure delight.
By far the best jerk chicken we have ever eaten on all our trips was at Bourbon Beach right down from Legends. A big plate of chicken and fries is only $10.00-enough to share. Try the market a few doors down everyday but Sunday for delcious homemade patties at 1-2 dollars each for a quick snack or lite lunch. Excellent!!!! This place is a hole in the wall place to get ice, red stripe and misc. munchies Plus the guy there is so honest about money and giving you the right change back. Grab a daily local paper there, too. I took home several loaves of local Spice Bun and small little rum cakes that I purchased in this store.These made excellent gifts for people. back home. I bought a bottle of rum across the street from Legends in tthe shopping mall area, bought fruit juices and mixed my own drinks to sip on the beach. We also enjoyed Red stripes, too. Take a cooler bag to hold your ice for you since the hotel does not provide it.

The hotel is in a great location in that you can walk to may different places to eat and shop. Better here than down the road in an ai where you have to catch a cab (and that can be costly!) to do anything.

Back to the hotel. We never had a problem there that was not resolved quickly. Our tv broke and we were moved to another room without incident. The staff there is so friendly if you are friendly to them One girl let me use her cell phone as my 800 calling card did not work on payphones. (Of course I tipped her). The security man on the beach who works for Legends, Michael, is excellent and will guard your stuff like a hawk. You will not be harrassed here much at all thanks to him. Get a free beach umbrella early from Shenna in the internet/safe deposit room in front of the dining room...there are only 7 umbrellas and they go quickly.
The rooms are clean and neat. The grounds are kept very clean daily. The lower rooms have liitle outdoor patios that are secluded by beautiful tropical plants. Yes the beach is small but walk it, swim in the beautiful calm water or jump on a glass bottom boat for a 15 min. ride to the coral reefs for fantastic snorkeling!

We were very concerned about the awful reviews we read before arriving but decided to try this place anyway. If you are high maintenance, forget it. If you want a decent, safe place for the $, try Legends. Spend the extra money on excursions to explore the island and be sure to tip the natives who help you well. They are most appreciateive and will bend over backwards to make sure you have a great vacation if you do this.

We plan to return Christmas with our son we were that pleased. Try Legends and as they say in Negril....."Don't worry yourself , Mon!"

16  Thank phyllisyomon
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We, a party of 9 (4 guys and 5 females) just returned from our wonderful vacation at Jamaica. We stayed at Legends. Legends is a small hotel very basic but it is very, very clean, the staff are very nice. If you are looking to stay at luxury hotel and not come out your room, Legends is not the hotel for you. But if you just need a nice, safe and economic place to crash in after a long day of adventures, Legends is the place to stay at. Bring extra towels because they provide you with a limited amount of towels. Room service would come eveyday in the morning to pick up the towels and bring them back in the afternoon. We did not eat at Legends, so I can't comment on their food but we ate breakfast at Kuyaba (hotel right next door to Legends) daily. Breakfast was excellent no complains. We ate dinner every night at Cosmos (restaurant 5 min. drive from Legends), food there was great too. We hardly ever had lunch. We were so busy adventuring; food was not an issue. We spend most of our mornings right after breakfast at Legends beach. The beach is beautiful. White powdery sand, warm crystal clear water and very clean. You would have some locals trying to hustle you at times but security is always on the beach so he would always make them go away. People out in Jamaica are very poor so they are always trying to sell you something. They might look a little intimidating but they are harmless.

We went on 2 glass bottom boats rides, jet skiing, parasailing and cliff diving at Ricks Cafe. Wow what an experience!! We went to Samsara hotel (sister hotel of Legends) one day and spent most of the day there. It is very nice. We saw the most beautiful sunset at Samsara. Legends provides a morning shuttle bus and afternoon shuttle bus to and from Samsara and Legends.

As you can tell I have many positive things to say about our trip and of Legends hotel. Overall it was one of the best experiences of my life and 7 of my friends agree that the trip was amazing. We are planning to go back some time in August. Just one of my friends wasn't that satisfied but she still enjoyed the trip.

As a female I recommend for ladies to be accompanied by males. Jamaican men tend to be a little aggressive. They are harmless but as a woman I feel that we are targets when visiting a foreign country. As Jamaican’s would Greet you “ Ultimate Respect Mon”.

13  Thank Rocio G
Reviewed May 27, 2006

i stayed at samsara, which is legend's sister hotel on the cliff... we experienced legends because we could have our meals and drinks at the Legend as well as Samsara... here, i will give a review of what we experience, which was meals, drinks and the beach.... i dont know the conditions of the rooms or other things about this hotel.... first, the bar, btw 10am and 4pm, the times we spent at Legends, the bartenders were great!! there was this thin lady behind the bar and worked constantly getting everyone drinks without having to wait too long... the fav thing she made us was frozen fruit punch.. yum!! what a lovely lady.. i think she leaves work at 4..since we see her leaving when we're taking the 4pm shuttle back to the samsara...... the food: we had lunch here 3 times.... the first time, it was chicken wings and pizza, hot dog and some salads... i did not want pizza or hotdog..both of which, my gf said were horrible.... so i had the chicken wings.. the big lady behind the buffet placed 2 pieces of wings (which makes up ONE chicken wing)... on my plate.. i asked for more..she gave me one more piece... i really disliked her attitude... i didn't know i was bothering her asking for more food..... the other time, they had some sort of stew of pineapple chicken.. it was okay..def nothing special... and the 3rd time, it was a seafood cassrole..which was basically fish stew..that was actually good..but again, the big lady gave me a small spoonful..

as for the beach... legends have a small section of the beach....which they have a guard to make sure the locals dont try to heckle the hotel guest.... there are locals that want to braid your hair, sell you excursions, etc....i think for the amt of guest that uses the beach at the legends, the space they have is wayyyy too small... they have a limited number of lounge chairs that have umbrellas, i would say there are 6 umbrellas and about 25 lounge chairs... in a 40 feet wide area of beach... its a lil tight..and there isn't any place were u wont be surrounded by your fellow hotel guest... you get what you pay for i guess...

Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank kylecD8242OJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 23, 2006

Great--no problems. This hotel was great for the money we paid....Leticia and Paul at the front desk took care of us....Would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice hotel in a reasonable price range. We were skeptical at first because of all the bad comments, but in our visit we did not encounter any of that.

Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2006

Let me start by saying that I did alot of reading up on Legends before we(3 late 20's women) went so I kinda got an idea of what to expect, and it was exactly what I expected and what we wanted. We went May 5 - 10. We didn't want to stay in a 5 star. We wanted something small to experience Jamaica. The room was just fine. There were 3 of us staying in it & I didn't think it was too small. We got one of the few rooms that has an actual beach view. It was wonderful just to go out on the balcony and look at the crystal clear water. The room was clean. Everyone was nice. Expecally the guys that work on the beach. They were GREAT!! Oric & Romeo always had chairs for us & Michael (security guard) did a great job of keeping unwanted sellers away( there werent too many of them though). It was actually pretty comical to watch him :) We went to some of the concerts on the beach which was nice. Ok here are a couple of my complaints. It is still a nice place to stay but I feel that I just need to warn you about a couple of things. The whole trip was so relaxing & wonderful until the last few nites. Whatever you do...DON'T loose your key because they close the office at 10pm & if you loose your key you are just out of luck. That is what we were told when we came back one nite after a concert on the beach. The hotel security guard was no help & told us to get in however we could, even break the lock if we had too,and if we didn't want to we could sleep on a chair by the pool. So we broke the door... the next morning I got a nice wake up call telling me to pay $200 for the door. Yea, maybe we shouldn't have broken the door, but what were we suppose to do??? They need to have a better system. Also there is no direct beach access after 10pm. You have to walk up to the main road and walk down to an open access to get to the beach. I didn't like that. I think if I'm paying for a room I should be able to go right down to the beach anytime of day or nite if I want to without being inconvienced by having to walk way out of the way on the main road. My last complaint is hassle they give you to have guest. Well should I say "local" guest. We have a friend that lives in Ochio Rios & anytime he would come to visit with us he would have to leave his ID & I would have to go sign him in. On one of the last few nites, he stayed with us & I went down & payed extra $$ for him to stay & that nite after a concert at the beach we were trying to go back to the room & the security gave us a hard time about him commng in (even though everyone there knew he was with us & staying there). I say everyone knew because you could just tell that everyone acted different to us after they saw he was with us. Then the next morning they wanted me to come back down & sign him in again. It was just a hassle & I was made to feel uncomfortable about it. BUT besides that it was a really nice place to stay. Our issues aren't regular issues so unless you loose your key or you have "local" friends comming to visit...your stay should be great. Little tips: Go to Rick's Cafe. Have a meat pattie. Have a Red Stripe ( a cold one). Be nice to the beach guys & they will be nice to you. Watch your money conversion. Just have a great time! This was definatly an unforgetable experience for us.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member