“Wonderful Beach!”

Legends Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 81 Hotels in Negril
“Wonderful Beach!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica so we went with no expectations. Stayed in the beach-side rooms so we didn't have to cross the road and deal with traffic. Beds were made daily and clean towels were given, no wash cloths or hand towels. Bring your own shampoo, soap, hair dryer, etc. Staff were very professional and polite, grounds keeper is always out sweeping and he keeps the sidewalk and gardens immaculate. We went the all inclusive plan, drinks were plentiful but food got boring by the middle of the week. Try some of the local food when you walk up the beach such as Alfred's Place or Kuyaba (next door) which provides a very nice dining experience and the lobster is excellent. We look forward to going back again - they do have a wonderful beach that is well maintained and chairs/cushions are available for nearly everyone who wants one plus they keep annoying vendors away if they get too close! Shopping is right across the road!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank plgeorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Topeka
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The room is less than a Motel 6. The phone did not work. Two bath towels. We could not have more than the two towels. The room was clean, but smelled. The light fixtures did not have covers on them. Bring soap, shampoo, hairdryer, etc. The security guard (Daniel), slept on the job, begged for money, and his verbal skills were so bad we could not understand him.
We stayed across the road from the beach. We could hear the bass from the bar next to the Legends into the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank jhawker

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Ontario
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Legends came through again with another great week for us. 4th time here. Excellent location and helpful staff. Had a great time, with perfect weather during last week in February 2013. Manager (Paul?) does a very quiet, but effective job ensuring the property is in good shape. Thanks Mama and Michael for your great work in the kitchen, and on the beach. As stated many times before the rooms are basic and clean. It's ideal for folks like us who like to walk downtown but also love the beach and associated activities. Location is very central to everything in Negril.
One small thing Mr. owner - if you could give a few extra dollars to allow the kitchen to make icing again for the cakes (like previous years) I would give this place a 10/10 rating. As it is I can only give a 9.5/10 rating.
Attn: Negril vacationers-If you want extremely good value with a perfect location -Go to Legends. If you want every amenity (with the attached high price) consider another resort.

Room Tip: Choose "Gardenside"(Across the road) for quieter nights.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tmorgan9006
Champaign, IL
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Two of us 50+ ladies traveled to Jamaica together and stayed 7 nights at Legends in March 2013.

NEGATIVES: The rooms at Legends are okay, but nothing fancy. You definately need to bring your own shampoo, etc. There also is no hair dryer, coffee pot, or ice bucket. Actually, there is no ice machine available at Legends, thus the lack of an ice bucket. We were allowed to bring a pitcher of ice water from the bar to our room at night, but had to promise to return it first thing the next morning. The first day there we couldn't get the a/c to run so I went to the front desk to ask - I was told to press the red button on the wall. What they didn't tell me until I talked to the manager (Paul) later, is that you also need to set the temperature using a small white remote control. It would have been nice to know that on day #1. Apparently, the desk clerk isn't informed of these types of things...? The bed pillows are like sleeping on a concrete block. If you want fresh sheets, you should totally "unmake" your bed before you leave the room in the morning. Otherwise, they will re-make the bed, leaving the sand between the sheets from the night before! The maids take the dirty towels from your room in the morning and don't return them until late afternoon. Therefore, if you shower between those times, you have no towel to dry off with. There are no wash cloths and no hand towels provided, only one bath towel per guest per day. Bring your own beach towel too, or buy one from any number of vendors. There is plenty of shopping available along the beach. However, be prepared to be smothered by the vendors trying to get your dollar. It is quite overwhelming at times. The food at Legends is totally unacceptable. They serve up a lot of "fillers" such as rice and mashed potatoes, as well as spaghetti. When on vacation, I prefer to eat good food - not crap I could get in a school cafeteria. There is a "late arrival" menu that you can supposedly order from at any time. This includes a grilled cheese sandwich, hamburger, and cheese pizza. However, you will have to fight the staff to allow you to order from this menu. It's ridiculous. One day for lunch they had tuna fish sandwiches - which sat out unrefrigerated the entire lunch period (2 hours). Another day lunch included cheese pizza, but when they ran out, they wouldn't fix any more - even though it is on the "late arrival" menu and could supposedly be requested at any time. The best food I had at Legends was a hamburger which I sliced a fresh avacado for (of course I had to buy this avacado at the beach and bring it to the restaurant). The all-inclusive package also includes alcohol. This is limited to the local beer called Red Stripe. The all-inclusive includes only the draft Red Stripe, not the lite version. That is the only beer included, and it is served in tiny cheap plastic cups that hold about 1 cup of liquid. The only other beers available are Heineken and one other lager beer. None of the standard US brands are available here. As for "shots" you can have rum, gin, or vodka. They do not have any specialty drinks. Their all-inclusive drinks are limited to pina colada and strawberry dacquiri - both of which are mass-mixed in a machine. We did notice that paying customers (non all-inclusive) were served with cloth napkins and a smile, while the all-inclusive guests were given cheap thin small paper napkins and received slow service at the bar. Once we figured out how things work at Legends, we made the most of it. However, I would never stay there again. Apple Vacations picked us up at 10:00am on our last day there, to catch a 3:30pm flight. Therefore, the entire day was wasted. If marijuana bothers you, don't come to this area. There are countless drug dealers along the beach and roadways, and it's always in the air along the beach and bars. It doesn't appear that the law against marijuana is enforced in this area. There was no entertainment of any kind at Legends.

GOODIES: The Time Square Mall is located across the street from Legends. There is a small "grocery" within a one block walking distance. There is plenty of shopping also available along the beach. The security staff is great at keeping an eye on the resort's beach area for any vendors who hassle the guests. Also security helps to cross the busy street out front - these people are crazy drivers! The resorts on each side of Legends have very good food. The sunsets are awesome. Everybody says you gotta go to Rick's Cafe, but honestly the sunset on the beach is every bit as beautiful as at Rick's. Be sure to haggle/negotiate with the vendors and even the shops. We found that we paid just over half the original asking price for most of the items we bought. The locals have lots of cool souvenirs, including some really good wood art and a wide array of towels, shirts, shorts, wraps, jewelry, shells, etc. It's fun to shop, but be prepared to tell the vendors to "let go of me" and/or "please don't touch me"...they are very competitive for your business. The alcohol available at the airport in Montego Bay is much cheaper than you will find in stores/shops, so wait until the ride home to purchase those items. The water along the beach is mostly calm. Snorkeling was possible, but while we were there, the water was just a little murky, making it hard to see much along the bottom. However, walking along the beach, we found quite a number of beautiful shells, including a few conch shells! There really is no dress code at Legends or the majority of the resorts along 7 mile beach. You can wear your swimsuit from sunup to sundown! There are musicians who walk the beach and will stop to play a mini-concert for you, of course your tips are very welcomed. There was one guy who sold fresh caught steamed lobster along the beach for $8 - well worth it! Also the fresh fruit is sold along the beach and is delicious! However, don't let them talk you into something you don't want!

Overall, I think we overpaid for this resort's all-inclusive. If I had it to do again, I would not have purchased the all-inclusive. The room is decent, but the food sucks. We did enjoy the beach life!

Room Tip: Definately ask for beach-side rooms. Otherwise, you will be across a busy road from the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank susanjtyler
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 8 nights at Legends. Stayed March 2-10. We had to choose a less expensive place this year and we were not expecting much after reading all of the negative reviews but we were willing to accept it just to get back to our favorite place, Negril. Let me say this, from the time you arrive to the time you leave, you are well taken care of! The staff is friendly, hard working and never, not once, were we asked to tip anyone on the property! We have stayed at many of the big all inclusives on the island, but we will return to Legends! We knew to bring our own beach towels, no problem, we didn't bring extra bath towels, didn't need more than the two clean towels we got daily. You also get a clean bath matt. Ladies, buy some disposable facial wash clothes, maybe a towel for your face or hair if you like. The room was basic, but very clean! Honestly, it was comparable to our bathroom at Couples Swept Away...actually, the shower at Legends was better, sized to accomodate 2 people if you like to shower together like we do. The matress was quite hard, but we slept well with the help of rum! The pillows are flat and I will bring my own next year. We stayed on the beach side, superior garden view. There were at least 2 concerts the week we stayed and neve did the noise keep us awake or rattle the windows as some have claimed. And it wasn't the rum that made us deaf, we sat out on our balcony every night and didn't have a problem with noise. I don't use hotel shampoo or hotel hair dryers, I am picky to have my own, so the fact that they don't have that stuff, don't care. You do get some basic hotel bars of soap, I never use that either, so, don't care if it's there or not. Room was cleaned daily, Collin came up to our room within 5 minutes of arrival to replace 2 burnt out light bulbs. He also keeps the grounds meticulously clean and gardens groomed. Room was cleaned daily, clean towels & bath matt. Clean sheets, bed made. Just be sure to visit your room about an hour or so before you want to shower and get ready for dinner as the air will be turned off once the maid services your room. There is no real dress code, but never once did we see anyone sitting and eatting without proper cover. Yes, you can come to dinner in your swim wear, I often came in a simple dress but didn't feel out of place. This is Jamaica, we go to relax, getting all dolled up for dinner is not my idea of a vacation and I surely know my husband was ecstatic to not have to dress in long pants and a collared shirt! We're not slobs, but we really just want to relax, be casual and enjoy our vacation! The food is limited, but it's not all that bad. MaMa, the face of the kitchen is a kind and loving person, she does the best with what she is given. Order off the the menu for a very affordable price, and that is VERY GOOD! $22 for grilled lobster...AWESOME! If you want fancier food, also very affordable, go next door to Kuyaba, you can dress up more and have a nice dinner there with a bottle of wine for about $100 including apps & dessert. The coffee does suck, but go next door to Kuyaba in the morning, fill your travel mugs, 2/$5 and return to Legends for your breakfast. Kuyaba has bacon, so if you need meat with breakfast, you can eat there too. Overall, for the all inclusive price, you can't go wrong, it covers drinks alone! Not top shelf liquor, but Tiffany and Andrea at the bar will mix you up some pretty great concoctions that will make you happy! Micheal runs a tight security on the beach and makes sure you have chairs with cushions and an umbrella every day. Funny, when we stayed at Couples, Riu, Sandals...had to wander for some time to find a beach chair and never had any resort staff offer to help us, ever! Micheal is the best! There is so much to see walking the beach, plenty of stuff to buy, eat, live music...why would you want to stay at a big resort? GET OUT THERE AND SEE THE REAL JAMAICA! Walking distance to Times Square and Downtown...stay out of the craft market, in 8 visits, we've never found anything there you can't get on the beach and they get pretty aggressive in the market. Jewelry is cheaper downtown and in the Sunshine Plaza. If you need top shelf liquor, buy a bottle at the Hi-Lo grocery and bring it back, the girls will mix you a drink with it if you ask nicely! Ask for Leroy if you need a cab/car ride, he is trusworthy and affordable, he hangs out by the front of the resort. Jaimie is also a great guy to hire if you need a ride, just ask the crossing guard to find out if either one is around. For the price, you can't beat this place! Simple, CLEAN! friendly, great service...To all the staff at Legends, we thank you and look forward to seeing you next year when we come 'home'! One last note, want water? If you need bottles, go across the street to the convenience store, buy one or two small bottles and a gallon jug to refill. We have been drinking the tap water in Jamaica for 20 years and have never once had a problem. The hotel has cold drinking water available all day in self serve dispensers by the bar...do not expect a refrigerator in your room, we asked all week, never one available, but really, who cares? The girls at the bar would give us ice whenever we asked! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Legends to family and friends; can't beat the staff or the price! Show some respect and tip these great service providers if you stay here, I think you will agree, they deserve it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank TiffanyO
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel was what I expected. It is not a 5 star quality, but it is nice for the cheap price i paid. They kept it clean, and the property is fairly nice. The people are nice, and I had a great time. Shantoy and Kayon were great at the receptionist desk!!!

Very good spot for YOUNG, people, looking to have a good time. If you are looking for a quiet vacay, this is not for you! haha

Room Tip: got the beach view room across the street. the other side is stinky!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Danielle C
London
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I had a great holiday partly thanks to Legends. The resort has part of it on one side of the road and the other part with reception on the beach front. The restaurant overlooks the sea and sunset is amazing from here. I stayed across the road which was fine, the pool was empty every day which I enjoyed. The beach is busier. We got along with the staff very well especially Ray the driver who took us out one night to a local cook out, we had a lot of fun and he looked after us well - very cool guy!! Also the gardener/maintenance man was so helpful and friendly. Most of the girls at reception are very kind. The resort is in a good location with the beach although you do have to walk a while to get to anything else. One thing I did not enjoy was the groups of men and taxi drivers that's hang around outside the hotel making it quite intimidating when walking across the road or anywhere else, some were helpful one made me some CDs! But generally I didn't like them around. The food was ok, breakfast limited but evening meals were quite good. All in all very relaxed and easy place to stay, would stay again!!

• Stayed May 2012