“Place is a Dump!!!”

Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Negril
A TripAdvisor Member
“Place is a Dump!!!”
Reviewed November 22, 2005

It is misadvertised. Even on this site. I suspect the hotel plants phoney reviews about how "great" it is. Trust me, having stayed there - this place is a dump. There is no way anyone could really think this place is great. The service ranged from average to absolutely lousy. The place is barely maintained. Just to give you a frame of reference...there is a sign at the pool that says "No defecating in the pool". The beachcomber is (barely) a step above a housing-project.

The worse part about it is how the owner/management misrepresents the place. You would think it is some exotic "boutique hotel" the way they talk. Please! There is a grimey pool table and beat up ping-pong table in their "glamorous" lobby.

Spend your money anywhere but here. Don't buy into the phoney reviews.

• Stayed November 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2005

Just returned from the Beachcomber Club & Spa in Negril. We were there for 2 weeks and will definitely be returning. The staff catered to our every need. The food was delicious - the Italian cuisine was very good, as was the baked bread & fresh rolls. I never tasted carrot and chocolate cake anywhere that was as tasty. I also tried the Jamaican jerk chicken and rice which I also enjoyed. The room, pool, dining room and beach was all very close together. I noticed that the beach in front of our resort was kept clean of seaweed at all times, more so than the other resorts in our area. The maid service was great, she also left fresh flowers in our room every day. The waiters/waitresses were on their toes at all times. We made a few great friends in the two weeks that we were there. Highly recommend this resort. We have stayed at different resorts in the Caribbean and also at a few 5-star resorts. This resort is definitely the Jewel of Jamaica.

Karen & Howard Jesso
Alberta
Canada

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank Kalena52
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2005

I just returned from The Beachcomber Resort in Negril. My stay was short, only 6 days. But it was the best 6 days I've had since my last trip last February. I always find my room clean and well maintained. It seems that the room was freshly painted and new furniture has been added since my last trip. My regular housekeeper, Maxine, is always available and ready to make my stay as comfortable as possible. The same can be said for all the staff. The beach is the best in Negril. The staff, who take care of the beach, are wonderful. There is always a lounge chair with clean towels ready for the guests. I returned home feeling very relaxed and I can't wait to return for my winter vacation next January.
Thank You to all the people at Beachcomber for a GREAT stay. You are the "BEST".

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed July 31, 2005

After much research and the use of a (good) travel agent I made reservations for a studio. As we have a 3 yr old, it is nice to have a kitchen to be able to prepare breakfast, snacks, etc. When we arrived it did not take long to discover that many of the drawers in the kitchen were painted shut, there was an ironing board - no iron, the television did not work, there was no phone in the room, the A/C sounded like a lawnmower, there was 1 hanger in the closet, the water pressure was really low, the washing machine did not work. I went to the front desk to ask for a iron as we had traveled to attend a friends wedding and had clothes to hang/press. "No problem" and was told it would be delivered. Went back to inquire about the television and the phone - told that there was no phone in that room. Also during that visit, was asked if I had (by mistake) taken the signed credit card imprint?? Apparently it was misplaced?? Security box was $3.00 a day. Went to the bar for a drink - $7.00 for a small rum punch in a plastic cup.

Next morning, asked for a room change due to all the things out of place. I was offered to upgrade at $20 a day. Decided to do this and deal with the cost through my travel agent. Upgraded to a one bedroom which was actually a 2 bedroom with one deadbolted shut. Nice big room with large patio. Kitchen missing a knife to cut "anything" with, still no phone, no iron (still never delivered - went to front desk and signed one out), Water in the washing machine difficult at best to regulate - ended up shrinking some clothing. Woke up one morning as to see workers laying out phone line - was asked to hang out while they rewired the room. We told them to get house keeping as we were on vacation and did NOT want to leave our door open. While cooking breakfast discovered that there were no spices (salt/pepper) so went to dining room and was told that I would have to order room service to get this. Also asked for a sharp knife (again)

Went to the beach and was approached by the "security" for "smoke". Seemed like everyone had a hand out and would not do anything without a tip. Eventually I was told that the owner would like to talk with me due to all the troubles we had experienced. I went to the front desk and was handed the phone - after a long talk, he agreed to comp me the price of the upgrade. Afterall, I just wanted what was advertised.

After coming back to our room after dinner we smelled cigarette smoke in our room and figured it was just from outside. At 11:00PM I received a call from the front desk (yes, the phone finally worked) telling me that the gentleman who was in 6A (the deadbolted room) could not get in as the door was locked from the inside!! I immediately went to the front desk to clarify the situation - remember, I am traveling with a 3yr old. Apparently the smoke was from this guest who had already been in the room while we were out. At the front desk I met the owner/managers brother who was not sure about how the situation happened and did not seem to understand the reason I was so upset. The brother and the guest came up to the room to gather the belongings - I reiterated that this was amazing and the top of a long list of troubles. I also explained the disbelief after having such a long converstaion with the owner earlier in the day.

The next morning, I had a sit down conversation with the owner/manager and tried again to explain the disappointment I had in the accomodations. I was told that this sort of thing never happens and he could not understand why we were having so many problems. After refusing to be compensated in free meals for our troubles, the owner offered to comp us one night.

It is a shame that this happened to us. Having been in the hotel/customer service industry I can see the potential that a place like Beachcomber Club has. The amount of money that we had to pay for the service we recieved was completely out of balance. I am sure that many people have and will continue to have pleasant stays at this property. As for me and my family, our memories of Negril will be overshadowed by the events that took place during ours. In the end, it did not matter what we said as it was obvious that the staff did not understand why we were so unhappy.

• Stayed July 2005
33 Thank dshadle

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Stanford, CA
Reviewed July 12, 2005

I was travelling with 5 friends from law school. Our place was magnificant. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which had a queen in each room and a pull out couch. It had a balcony from which you could watch the sunset over the beach. I recommend trying to get a unit near the beach if possible but we were set back a bit and still had the excellent view.

We never ate at the restaurant but instead walked down the beach where there was always some place nice to eat on the water or a quick/cheap place depending on our mood.

The place is right next to margarattiville (sp?) which provides a constant soundtrack during spring break and some great parties in the evening.

the security was tight at our hotel which can be good in negril. And the staff was friendly and our maid great. I don't know how she managed to rid the apartment of all the sand we tracked in each day. The other staff was friendly always suggesting where to go on tours and where to eat.

We spent one day checking out the other places we had researched in booking our trip. Some of them were nice but none as great as this one as far as location, beauty, and rooms.

• Stayed March 2005