“Pack a lunch-You'll need it!”
Review of Beachcomber Club

Beachcomber Club
Ranked #50 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Port Perry
“Pack a lunch-You'll need it!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Let Me first start by saying I know this is a 3 star resort. We have stayed at many in Negril and prefer the small hotel atmosphere that the large resorts lack. That being said the management at this hotel and the owner specifically run this hotel into the ground.

My room did not have any running water and was in a state of disrepair on arrival. This does happen and we were willing to pay to upgrade,
When I calmly attempted to pay to upgrade my room on my arrival my money was refused. I was shown a room and told i could have it but then the front desk clerk showed me a ledger of how booked up they are and asked me if I could read. The alternate room was available but at the last minute i was told i had the best room in the resort and would not be moved! I did discuss this with manager Dominique, who while talking over me and interrupting, apologized and gave us the use of a kitchen and living next door to us, which was accessed daily by staff for the purpose of laundering the resorts laundry. Did not solve the issue, but granted it was a gesture.
The rooms are dated but that isn't the problem, the bathroom ceilings are mouldy and in disrepair. When two separate neighbours bathroom ceilings fell in during my stay, the maid and a grounds keeper were berated by the manager Dominique in front of the guests. I was embarrassed for the workers, who on a daily basis are verbally shouted at by Dominiqe. She is a bully by all standards. The owners and management are responsible for standard maintenance, it is not cleaning staff fault they work with the low standards they are provided with.
Towels were stained and holy, with magic marker written on them for identification purposes i assume. See Bathroom Pics below
Sheets are see through as they are so old, a purchase of new towels and sheets should be on your Christmas list Beachcomber!
When ceilings fall in, or room doors are accidentally left open, again staff are screamed at for all the guests to hear. They are the scapegoats.
Our room was old and falling apart, cockroaches in the room and although there are safes in the room we are not permitted to use them. Instead they charge you 5 bucks a day at the front desk, not very convenient. Same with internet, wifi is there for purchase, but other resorts provide it to their guests at no charge.

the food is mediocre at best, sometimes inedible, and repetitive, if they run out then you are out of luck. Yogurt or cereals would be a welcome addition. This is food is NOT child friendly.
The bar closes at 10pm sharp and staff look frightened to make sure that happens, it is a ghost town after 10, god forbid you didn't plan for food in your room, no snacks after dinner, nothing. Late arrivals to the hotel are not offered anything.
The water is an issue at this resort, although i am not sure why, it hasn't been at any other resort or hotel I have stayed in Negril. 2 days out of 7, no water, hot runs out quickly.

I know what you think i am being picky, no i travel extensively and do not expect 5 star service, However what i don't expect to see is the Manager Dominique standing on the beach in a screaming match with locals in front of all the guests and swearing at the top of her lungs in front of children. It was a spectacle to see, i am embarrassed for the local vendors who got dragged into it, and police were called in to assist, Regardless what the altercation was about, there is no excuse for such unprofessional behaviour from the management, just embarrassing. Disgusting way to run your resort, disgusting way to treat your staff and guests.
Negril is a beautiful town filled with lots of lovely hotels and B Bs which i have stayed, the local food is wonderful which is good, because i had to eat out everyday. The Beach is gorgeous and weather sublime, go to Jamaica but do yourself a favour, don't waste money here.

Room Tip: go to another resort, there are many wonderful hotels and B+Bs in negril, all with friendly professi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Rml167
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest
I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your accommodations, and we are very surprised as we have so many repeat clients who come year after year and love our rooms, so we can't be as bad as you say. When someone attacks you on the beach, it is only natural to respond strongly to prevent future harassment. It was an act of defending our guests against seller's harassment on the beach. Unfortunately it happens in many poor countries that receive tourists, and some locals may try to take advantage of them. I would suggest that next time, you are not happy with your hotel, to leave and ask your tour operator to relocate you, instead of create comments on trip advisor that could prevent others from staying and enjoying their vacation. We value our client's satisfaction so naturally Dominique tried to upgrade you and we are surprised at your comment. Our clients are dear to us, and again we apologize for any inconveniences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
usa
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have been going to Jamaica for almost 30 years now and have stayed all over the island especially in Negril. I stayed at the Beachcomber about 11 years ago and had a good experience but I would absolutely not recommend this hotel to anyone. Our second stay there which was very recently was not good. The hotel is run down, the staff seems miserable, inattentive and unresponsive. We were told several times by owner and staff that we had to be very careful about our things being stolen from the rooms. This gave us no sense of security whatsoever. The rooms are clean but everything is tattered and outdated. The food is limited and everything about the place is overpriced. Our air conditioner broke and noone fixed it. All in all this place is in severe decline.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank lrh65
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
We have recently renovated most of our rooms with new appliances and decor. We work everyday at updating and maintaining high quality room standards. Our guests comfort and happiness is our number one priority, and so we are truly sorry if you felt otherwise. We advise our guests to keep track of their belonging and lock valuables such as passports and other I.D. in a safety deposit box, for their own safety purposes. This goes for any establishment, in any country they visit. We thank you for your feedback and will take your comments into consideration.

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is my 3 time staying at beachcomber and i just keep wanting to come back. the hostlers are decreasing I find. The rooms are looking bette every time I come the beach is good and the same staff that are amazing would defiantly recommend going to this hotel if you are stating in Negril they have the biggest rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jah186338
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Let’s start by asking “would I ever go back?”. The answer is resounding yes, in a heartbeat. It was one of the best vacations I’ve had. I am not rich and have to save all year for my holiday so yes I have usually gone the route of the chain hotels with their huge marble lobbies and large properties with numerous amenities in the hope that I will get my moneys worth and have a good time. Was I leery about going here? Very much so. As I researched the hotel, the reviews were mixed. It was small, only 40 some rooms but the location was great (right smack in the middle of Seven Mile Beach) and there were only a few all inclusive hotels actually on Seven Mile Beach. So my sister and I gave in and chose to take the risk. We are both glad we did. I will try and break it down for you.

The Hotel

The lobby was small not at all what I am used to. The girl behind the counter was very nice. She escorted us to our room. Our room was big enough but somewhat outdated so I started to question our decision. Did we make a mistake? Were we stuck here for two weeks? We settled in and within a few hours we knew we had made the right choice.
Some of the rooms are a little tired (we had one of these) but it is mostly only the decor. We were in a standard room. It was very roomy and comfortable and most importantly, it was clean. The bathroom was huge. They are currently renovating the rooms. Other guests had the more updated rooms and they were very nice. I got to see the room beside me which was a suite and it was gorgeous. In the standard room there is no fridge. The grounds were kept immaculate. The entire resort is about the size of a football field. Nice and quaint.

Almost All Inclusive

I wasn’t quite sure what this meant, but we were willing to figure it out. What it means: You get 3 meals a day, all sodas and most domestic alcohols (bar is open 10am until 10pm). There are no extras like restocked mini fridge, animation team, gym, kids club etc. that you find at the big resorts. Personally these are services that I don’t use so why should I pay for them. .Once a week they did bring in a singer to serenade us at diner time. Coffee is available 24hrs in the restaurant. The one thing I missed was a mini fridge in the room to keep my pop cold for when the bar was closed.

Location

It is by far the best location. It is in the middle of Seven Mile Beach. Most of the chain resorts are on Bloody Bay or Runway Bay not seven mile. Unlike the afore metioned beaches, Seven Mile is more sheltered fro the winds leaving you with a beautiful calm ocean. Easy access to all activities such as jet ski, glass bottom boat, sunset cruise etc.

The Restaurant

There is one open air restaurant. It sits atop the beach overlooking the ocean. We were at Beachcombers the first two weeks of November which is still considered their low season. There were only about 15-20 guests. As they were only cooking for maybe 15 people the choices on the buffet were limited but what they lacked in quantity they more than made up for in quality. Everything was extremely tasty. By the time we left, the number of guests was above 30. This meant an increase in choices added to the buffet.

The Staff

This is where Beachcombers shines the most. Everyone is a delight. The people are what makes this resort stand out. From the manager to the gardener and everyone in between. It’s not that fake “I’m happy to help you but I’d rather be somewhere else” attitude that you find at some resorts. All the personnel here are sincerely friendly. As we sat around the bar it was like we were sitting with old friends.

The Beach

I saved the best for last. My god the beach is awesome. We walked the beach in both directions and by far Beachcombers is the best. Beautiful sand approaching the calmest ocean. As we drove to Seven Mile Beach from the airport, we had the opportunity to see a lot of other beaches. None were as calm as those at Beachcombers. Most of our time was spent here enjoying the sun and ocean. There are very many interesting people in Jamaica so we did a lot of people watching. This is by far the best beach I have been on.
In summary, yes some of the rooms are a little tired, but they are working on the renovations. Besides you are not there to sit in your rooms. The buffet is not the size of the big resorts, but what they lack in quantity the make up for with quality. The people are great and the beach is fantastic. We made many new friends. If you want to escape the traps of the big resorts and meet the real people of Negril, this is the place to be.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
18 Thank Cookiemagil
Arizona
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Ok so I read all the reviews on this resort before we left and for the most part they are accurate. It is small and outdated but it has potential as the 2 bedroom is very large. This is the best I can say as the management stinks, all they really care about is the money they can take in. (not the customer)
We stayed here October 25, 2013 throughout November 2, 2013. We own a timeshare in Florida and traded to go to Jamaica and this was the resort we were given. Our room was a two bedroom on the second floor. Night one, while we slept someone broke into our room and stole 2 iPhones and cash. My wife has a Louis Vuitton bag the culprit(s) took the bag but dumped it after ransacking it. I found it at the bottom of the stairs leading to our room. When I say broke in I actually mean someone had a key and let themselves in. We had the door dead bolted. When we talked to the management about it they told us no one there would have done it. But unless they give out keys to anyone, this was an inside job. They did not offer to take care of our loss or even offer the all-inclusive they had. They should have bared responsibility for our items. What if someone had woke up during this, maybe we would have been killed. I would never recommend this place to anyone. You should not have to barricade yourself in your room at night and stay up guarding your personal items while you are on vacation. Which is exactly wharf we did for the week we were there. Also they only have small bank lock boxes in the front office that they charge you to use to store personnel items. We rented one but it just held passports and extra cash.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank jtnl01
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
To: Whom it may concern

I thought we had answered this complaint before but there are a few points more which need to make.
These guests were transferred to us from another hotel which is under repair. There were assigned to a two bedroom beachfront apartment. From the moment they walked into the lobby one of the ladies shouted out, “We are going to give you hell because this is not what we booked” and so it turned out.
After checking in, the Front desk was called and told that the lock on one of the room doors was not working properly. We promised to replace it the following morning as it was already late. Next morning very they reported that the apartment was broken into. We immediately called the police and I as the manager visited the room and spoke with the clients. I must point out that the entrance door has a lock, a dead bolt and a security chain. There was no sign of forced entry and when questioned by the police the clients said they had secured the lock and the deadbolt but not the security chain. Now over the years I have travelled very often to Miami and even in the best hotels they warn you to secure the locks properly when you are in the rooms, in fact some years ago I visited Las Vegas and was warned to secure the door as someone had a key for every hotel door in Vegas.
I had a long and fairly cordial conversation with one of the gentlemen in the party and offered to change the locks and let him keep all the keys for the rest of his stay. He agreed. He also told me that he was in the lock business in America. Their representative was called. She offered to transfer them to another hotel and was shown 3 other properties but elected to stay at Beachcomber. We had no further complaints.
As promised we changed the locks and the gentleman helped by changing one faster than one of our own workman to show his skill. The police are always reluctant to give a report when there is no sign of forced entry. While we regret very much, this incident like the police we are left asking why the clients not used the security chain which would have to be broken to gain entry, especially in view of the fact that the lock on one room door had been reported effective.
We are very concerned about the security of our guests. We have many returned clients who come for long stays. They stay on the ground floor, upper floor. One group in particular from Canada have been coming here for nearly 20 years and never had a single problem. Some go jogging alone or in groups in darkness at 5:30 am. No Problem.
We are totally taken aback by this experience.
-Mr. Patrick Mcgann
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We just arrived home this weekend after spending 2 weeks at Beachcomber Club in Negril. This is a small resort - 40 or 45 rooms and it's set up so you can have a room, 1 room with suite or 2 bedrooms with a suite. We stayed in a single room- no suite. The rooms were large and very clean- bathroom was enormous.
The staff at this resort are so warm and welcoming, and it seemed as though for the entire time they bent over backwards and couldn't do enough for us. Everyone from grounds crew, security, wait staff, cleaning staff- all were fantastic. Fresh beach towels were available everyday.
This is the perfect type of place to get away, especially of you don't like large crowds. We're far more comfortable in a smaller venue and we're not 5 star people so we don't want 5 star treatment.

The food...omg it was good. We had a limited buffet available, however when there's only 20 or 25 people eating I wouldn't expect a huge selection. What was on the buffet however was extremely fresh, and really tasty for sure. There was always 1 type of fish, as well as another meat- usually chicken, sometimes pork, but it was real Jamaican food which was what we were hoping for.

Sheryl who is head of security was great about keeping the vendors away if you didn't want to be bugged by them, but when there was someone you wanted to talk with she would hang back and make sure there were no issues. We felt very safe and secure while we were there for sure.

This was my ultimate vacation- right on the beach- amazing sun, great food and great people who could ask for more?

We did a day trip away from the resort and went into Negril for a late lunch one day at the Push Cart on the cliffs and it was fantastic, and we went snorkeling one day on a reef not very far from the hotel- Captain Kirk looked after us quite nicely on that excursion. For those into more adventurous things, there's parasailing available, jet skiing, and just about anything else you could imagine available as well.

I would definitely stay again provided the pricing was right as it was just the r & r we were looking for. I highly recommend that you consider this resort when you're making your decisions- definitely worth it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jennifer m
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is to summarize a trip that my girlfriend and I along with 2 of our friends experienced on our one week stay at The BEACHCOMBER almost all inclusive resort. This is my 3rd time to Jamaica and my girlfriends 6th time, and it was the first time for our Friends and its a guarantee it will not be the last.

Upon arrival it was the simplest check-in by the simplest girls. They greeted you with smiles but they only helped you so much. Once they checked you in, they told you what time breakfast, lunch and dinner were served at, even though the times were written behind them, gave you 1 room key and towels only if you asked and anything more they referred you to manager. There is no safe in the rooms, but the front desk offered us 3$ a night which we did not use and still felt safe. The rooms - Everything in our room was very out dated but who cares!! I wasn't there to stay in my room anyway!! The rooms were nice and big and the patios were huge outside. The AC was quiet and worked great and the bed was comfy and clean and that's all that mattered. During the week that we stayed, they were renovating some rooms, not enough for us not to enjoy our stay but just enough for us to notice. One of the workers let us in to take a sneak peak, the only thing I noticed was a flat screen tv and a new toilet and some freshly painted wall . House keeping crew were always down to say hello with there big happy smiles. we never had to leave our key at the front desk for them to clean them and our rooms were always in tip top clean shape. We were so happy with the cleanliness of our rooms that I did tip them well just to show my appreciation. FACILITIES: - The property was always well maintained by Christopher who was always ready to great with a big hello ya mon !!!, the grounds were kept so clean I was actually very impressed with the way the placed looked. There is one main walkway that goes through the whole grounds of the hotel that leads you right onto one of the worlds best beaches. The bar and restaurant are right on the beach so you always have an incredible view of the beach almost no matter where you are. This place has a pool that's was cleaned everyday and it looked cleaned as well, even though I never used it ounce it was in a nice location and added a little extra to the place. There was security boss lady Sheryl made sure no one ever bothered us and was always around for any questions we might of had. Bar- The bar was almost right on the beach opened up at 10am and usually closed around 10 or 11 pm every day. The staff at the bar were wonderful, Jefferey and Shanika were more than amazing and never let you waiting more that 1 minutes to get your order. I like to drink beer too and was happy to be treated to both bottles of red stripe and red strip on tap. The mixed drinks were endless and always so delicious and as strong as you wanted. The one thing that I can complain about is that not every single mixed drink was free which it should of. such as the BOB MARLEY drink! There was drink service to the beach were the staff brought them too you while you lied in the sun. Restaurant- Where do I begin, the food was AMAZING every single day. There was absolutely nothing to complain about ever, the food was made to feed everyone that was there and made from scratch every night. We were all very excited every day to see what was being served. There were three buffet meals a day, which served up very local dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but after lunch that had a snack menu which was made from scratch as well and just delicious. There was fresh fish, pasta, fresh amazing salads, jerk chicken, vegetables, amazing soups, tea and coffee available all the time. The food was just superb and it was very nice to see that none was being wasted ever. One night that we were there they had fresh lobster cooked for us with a very good lobster bisque soup, OMG just amazing I just could not get enough of that Caribbean lobster. If you plan on eat out a few nights it would be smart to advised the staff so that they do not waste food cooking for you when you will not be there, don't forget this is not a huge 5 star trap that waste food all day long. The day we left the staff prepared us a special breakfast just for us of fresh salt-fish and Aki with dumplings which was just a beautiful last breakfast in Negril.. what a treat mmmmmmm!!!! We did a bit of fishing while we were there and the kitchen staff actually cooked our catch one night just for us. Location: This is our second time to the 7 mile in Negril and once again we were amazed. We were thinking about staying in a bigger resort like the Riu Negril but then thought to our self Bloody Bay or 7 Mile and the choice was simple....7 mile all the way, The reason is that we love to get out and about and enjoy to local love and vibes that Jamaica has. The Beachcomber is right in the middle of it all, go right or left you are bound to find something cool and interesting. The beach has plenty of local bars and restaurants and shops that offer a lot of local fun so you can get into that island vibe. Many will tell you it is not safe and many will say your crazy but to be honest I've been more scared walking Downtown Montreal at 4 am on a Saturday night. To sum up this place was amazing, yes outdated rooms but the upgrades are slowly on the way. This place does has amazing potential and I truly felt that they are starting to realize it which is why there was a bit of activity going on. The Hotel was clean and the food was amazing, the people were great and the location was just out of this world. If you are not the difficult type looking to be served and catered too 24/7 this might not be the place for you. If you are the type looking to gain a real local experience and island vibes that you will remember forever this place should be on your nNegril visit list. Go out meet the people, visit local bars and restaurants buy a couple of things, don't be afraid of whats real in Jamaica, this country is amazing and the locals make it even more spacial. Let me know if you have questions I will be more than happy to help you with any questions. I hope this review helps !

Room Tip: Every room is good, you will always be close to everything
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends