“Relaxation!!!!!!! Fun!!!!!!!”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa We had stayed in the middle of May 2006. We were there for 4 nights ( not long enough). The Resort was very clean as well as the beaches.The staff as attentive and polite. The Resot was full but you would never know it, plenty of chairs and lounges. Weather was awesome food was good, kids camp was great for the kids they can't wait to go back. One TOURIST ATTRACTION was RICKS CAFE, this place was great even though it rained the whole time the band was great and jumping off the cliffs was the highlight until my 7 yr old did it!!!! Can't wait to go back RELAXATION, FUN, SUN, and of course THE DRINK OF THE DAY!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank inthesuncmch
Write a ReviewReviews (5,319)

Reviewed April 4, 2007

This was my first stay at Beaches and will be my last. The resort is looking tired and dated and the common areas are too small. There was nothing obviously wrong but just not up to a 5 star standard. Also, there were simply not enough deck chairs by the pool and no place to get away from the masses of children.

Generally, I think "all inclusive" resorts are a rip-off - there may be truckloads of food and "free" drinks but it tends to be quantity over quality. The only interesting meals were off the resort. Also, while at their Asian restaurant, I was amazed to see a party of 11 (with three kids) turned away because they had only booked for 10 people - truly poor service.

Considering the price paid it is simply not good value for money at Beaches Negril.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Traveller3141
Reviewed April 3, 2007

The whole tag line of this site is Get The Truth, Then Go. Here is the absolute truth. Honestly!

My family of four, with two kids ages 12 and 17 stayed for about two weeks last summer.

The Beaches Lobby in the Montego Bay Airport was relaxing. Probably the only air conditioning in the area, and the kids were able to use the restroom and drink plenty of refreshments while cooling down in the comfortable couches.

The Ride to the resort was LONG. The views were magnificent. The Poverty wasa painful. One stop along the way to buy drinks and a candy bar a beer for the rest of the trip.

Check In. Most people complained it took too long, however we were greeted and sat down in the rich lavish lobby. Wet towels to cool our faces and neck, and cookies, fruit, and smoothies to eat and drink while we waited. Check In took about twenty minutes top and we were escorted to our room.

The Room. We got a standard double room. The Beds were soft and comfortable, and i usually hate hotel beds. The tile was cool and refreshing....although cold when your in your wet swim suit. The bathroom was big enough for what we used it. Although the windows allowed people outside to hear you....they were able to be shut. No major complaints on the room.

The Food. The Mill was a standard buffet for the family. Breakfast was really good, and lunch and dinner were average. The Last Chance Saloon served excellent meals. The Japanese restraunt wasn't great. The Seville, was nice and relaxing get away. But my favorite was the macaroni grill by the pool. You can choose everything to go on your pasta, and its excellent.

The Staff. Ofcourse the hotel doesn't allow tips...but it is so hard to see the staff work so hard and receive hardly enough pay. Our housekeeper for the time we stayed there told us of her kids and how she worked 6 days a week. We ended up tipping her well more then anyone else. The lifeguards are friendly and enjoy conversations. Several times a week the lifeguards would play soccer on the beach with the kids, its a blast. They even learned american football. Andre one of the lifeguards is very friendly and very sweet.

The sports. You definetly get your money worth with this. We went snorkeling and scuba diving sooo many times. The kiyaks are excellent exercise also.

While we were there we found an injured kitten, that we fed plenty of food to each day. The kitten came to be known as "Yah Mon" by many of the residents. Right before we left one of the lifeguards took the kitten home as a pet.

If your going to Beaches, please sit down and enjoy the vacation. You must get into a jamaican state of mind. Everyting will be allrite, yah mon. Dont try to move too fast, dont be stressed and you will enjoy your stay. Be involved in the activities at the hotel, water aerobics, soccer on the beach, kids camp, whatever it is that strikes your fancy....JUST DO IT. AND RELAX.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank lazybug17
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I went to a wedding in Negril, and the the Beaches Sandy Bay was full. So this was my other option. I would call my stay overall "just okay", but overpriced for what you get.

The rooms were just okay - I had lizards and bugs in my room as I was on the first floor. The food was pretty good overall, with lots of options and decent quality. The pools and beach were just okay as well. The staff everywhere are friendly.

The nicest thing is there is reciprocity with the Beaches Sandy Bay. You can use the restaurants and pools, which are MUCH nicer. As long as you are spending the money, you may as well spend a bit more and get a lot nicer place there.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank cj_minneapolis
Reviewed March 28, 2007

Stayed in a Beachfront 1 Bedroom Suite that was not really beachfront and you had to strain to actually see the beach. The bedding was the worst I have ever slept on with the king bed squeeking with every little movement and the mattress having seen better days. The pull outs for the kids were extremely uncomfortable and both had a very slim mattress. The pull out single bed is really meant for someone under five foot tall.

The beach front was amazing and the grounds were expertly manicured. There were no servers taking orders pool side or on the beach for drinks or food and you had to get everything yourself. The food was good and most of it was very American with limited Jamaican flare.

The resort seemed to be geared toward younger children with Sesame Street character breakfasts and day camp activities for little ones. My 16 and 13 year old enjoyed the water sports and the beach, but that was about it.

The price was way overboard and I would not stay there again.

6  Thank kpuccine
Reviewed March 26, 2007

We stayed at Beaches Negril from March 5th through March 11th. This was our second trip to the resort, having traveled there in 2006 and 2007.

Buying the passports for our family was pricey but the new rules and regs have greatly speeded up the process at the Montego Bay Air Port.

Having stayed there and having read both the positive and negative reviews over the past year I wondered if things changed so greatly from our first stay which was great.

Our family vacation this time was better than our stay in 2006!!! I didn't think this was possible but it happened. The many things this resort offers to a family far outway the signs of age it is beginning to show. Some painting and patching would go a long way as would some more powerful water pumps!!

Be patient regarding the water pressure, it gets there as does the hot water. We had absolutely no problems with our bathroom and the air conditioning worked well.

Our room, a honeymoon suite, was one main room and a bathroom with changing area. The beds in our room were comfortable, my wife and I in a king, our two boys(8 and 15) on a hide-a-bed and our daughter(13) on a fold-a-way cot. Don't spend a lot of time in your room and make it work. This type of room did not lend itself to a lot of private time for my wife and I but we only were in the room at bed time. We didn't pay to stay inside!!!!

If you want separate rooms for mom/dad and the kids, then I would recommend a one bedroom suite. We received a free upgrade last year to a room of this type. It consists of a large room with a king bed and its own bathroom and entrance and a "suite" room which the kids stayed in consisting of two hide-a-beds, its own bathroom and its own entrance.

If there are better beaches in the world than in Negril, I hope someday I can travel to them. I feel Beaches Negril has the prime spot on the most beautiful white sand beach you can find. Clean, wide and soft!! The beach is raked by hand each evening and ready for activity every morning.

The water park, xbox room, pools, lazy river, water sports provided by the resort, water trikes, banana boat and hobby cats give you a number of things to do. An off sight expense I would recommend paying for is the parasailing. Look for Lorenzo, he will charge around $40.00 American and will take care of you. Do not pay the $100.00 for a glass bottom boat and snorkling. The resort offers a snorkling boat with your stay there and will take you out to see some great sights. Bring a roll from the Mill and feed it to the fish once you get in the water.

Get up early and get a beach chair. If you wait to long, you may not find enough for your whole family. We have five and we needed to get out early to get five together.

At no point in time did I feel unsafe at this resort. The security is good and my children could come and go with out a concern the entire stay. You will be approached by security and asked your name and room number if you leave or enter the property. I liked this, and it showed me they took it seriously.

The staff were outstanding. They will go out of their way to aid and serve you. Return this with regular "please" and "thank you" , and you will be taken care of. Novia is a favorite of ours!!! The activities coordinators knew our children by name by the second day. O'neil is an outstanding young man who will do a great job of setting up activities for your teens.

We did not use the kids camp but could tell it was well run. The "teachers" develop a great relationship with your kids. The sitters at night can be seen around the resort with the children they are tending to. They don't just sit in a room with them!!

You will have to live without ESPN for a while, and I hope you like soccer and cricket.

Walk up and down the beach and check out the shops and the local flavor they offer.

If you go over the second Saturday of March, be prepared for a very loud party call Negril Spring Break. It is two properties east of the resort. It rattles the rooms on that end of the resort.

We were more that satisfied with the food the restraunts offered. The Seville is a great place to take the spouse for a wonderful evening. The Italian restraunt at Beaches Sandy Bay was a great time for our entire family. Throw your diet away and enjoy the food!!!

My advise is to do everything at the resort slowly. Don't rush and worry about anything. Take your time to enjoy your stay!! Be polite and treat people with respect, and you will be rewarded.

Travel safe and if you choose this resort enjoy your stay!!!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16  Thank YooperCheeseHead
Reviewed March 19, 2007

My wife and I were married at Beaches Negril the second week of March, joined by our 4-yr. old daughter. I had read the negative Trip Advisor reports prior to our vacation and like a few other writers, I was surprised by the amount of negativity in the reports.
- I did hear from other travellers of guests being rude to the staff,
so perhaps these are the people with negative views. Common courtesy goes both ways, regardless of your net worth.

Many travellers hear different views on Jamaica - I was presently surprised by the friendly attitude of the hotel staff and locals.
- I hadn't vacationed in Jamaica since the age of 10 - approx. 40 yrs. back, so obviously a lot of changes.

Resort Communications

I acknowledge this resort has some things to be worked out with respect to communication between guests and hotel management - late posting (between 5-8 p.m.) of a beach closing for a photo shoot the next day. Since there were so many complaints, the resort post-poned this activity by 1 day. The good news for us was that we received a 40% discount for a tour we took on the day of the beach closing (however, I had to ask for it, since it was stated in the letter from the resort manager). The tour was booked before the notice of beach closing. What none of us could understand was why choose an aerial photo shoot in March - a peak time for the resort. Not very smart.

Our wedding

One word - perfect. Our wedding was small - just the three of us.
Staff, wedding planner, minister - all great. One of the staff even offered to operate our cam corder for us and we have a great video of the wedding at no additional charge. We did upgrade our resort wedding photos one level, so from a dollar perspective, a nice trade off. The staff photographer was great.

Good selecetion and daily variety from the Mill restaurant. Breakfast menu needs to be healthier - too much eggs/bacaon/sausage. We did eat at the Japanese-style restaurant once - it needs to be more authentic - like sushi, wasabe mustard, and Japanese beer, as well as Japanese music. The Saloon restaurant (TexMex) was a nice change for one night - nice music at dinner - Jamaican cowboy, great voice. We also ate at the Seville on the night of our wedding - good food and nice setting, but not quite fine dining.

The hotel room (Grand Lux with Concierge service)

Tired looking furniture/bath fixtures. Our daughter's pull-out bed was comfortable, but the mattress was torn on the bottom and the frame was shaped more like a twisting rollercoaster. The bathtub was rusting near the floor, and there were ants on the tile floor from time to time. I understand the situation in the tropics, but the rooms were never treated for insects.

Safety

We always felt safe on the resort and the staff went out of their way to ensure that. However, there are some items to mention. Bath tubs are slippery and need non-skid surfaces. The bedroom clock radio was hard-wired behind the outlet cover - no plug! The staff at the water sports were great - very safety conscious, however, likely due to budget allocation, not all the hobbie cat boats were in the best of shape.

Pools (2) - always clean, plus a great attraction called the "Lazy River" - strong current, but everyone wears PFDs.

Kids camp

Our daughter loved it. She was always busy, and she loved the daily Sesame Street theme. The care providers are professionally trained and certified to U.S. standards for child care providers.

Overall, we had a great vacation, a memorable wedding and honeymoon.

9  Thank HHBBTT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
1 mi away
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!