Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rayon Hotel(Negril)
5,517 results
All reviewskids campsesame streetcafe de parisstew fishbanana boatbig topfamily vacationclub liquidx boxxbox roomcookie monsterdino's pizzacharacter breakfastadrian whiteheadwater sportskids clubthe main pool bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 16, 2007

We have been to jamaica once before and had a wonderful experience. At Beaches Negril, we did not experience a great stay. First of all, we paid to have a couples dinner and they did not inform us that they cancelled it because we didn't receive their invitation and instructions to "have our dinner set up" the way we wanted it. Even when the dinner was reset for the next evening, a photographer was supposed to be at our side to take photos during the sunset, they NEVER showed. Aside from that, we even had alreay made accomodations with the nanny to babysit our children and ended up having to pay for that nite. Beaches closed itself from the beach so that no one could enjoy themselves just for a photo shoot, and even kicked everyone out of the pools for the same reason for over half the day.
Also, majority of the staff were not as friendly as they should be. They were rude!

Just overall was not worth what we paid for our 4 night stay.

• Stayed: March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FaulknerFam
Reviewed March 13, 2007

Our family of 4 spent 2 weeks from feb 25th to march 11th at beaches negril our room was #302 . We all loved it. I did do a lot of research before going and did not expect a 5 star marble palace. It was exactly how i pictured it. So heres the good and the areas to be improved upon.
the STAFF Is a 10 out of 10. My very big complaint is that these hard working people are not permitted to accept tips or they risk losing their job. This is WRONG and against human rights. If i feel the need to help someone, i will, and i did .I also brought this up with the managers as i told them my policy is to tip and how do i go about doing this without putting anyones job at risk.GET THIS!!!!! they said give us the money and well make sure it gets to those individuals.It was obvious that they would never see a cent. I proceeded to tip carefully with a folded up bill and a friendly handshake. It was very much appreiciated and needed. The staff works 6 days a week split shifts and earn in 2 weeks what most people earn in a day, if not less.some live 2 hours away leave at 9 pm and must be back at work in the early morning. And yet they are the friendlyest and most gracious. They deserve much more. O.k. now to the reviews.
The BEACH 10 out of 10. ROOMS I booked grand lux beachfront with partial ocean view.
It was very acceptable and not run down as some previous reviews suggested. My only complaint is it was very noisy but nothing ear plugs didnt fix. So room gets a 7.5 out of 10.
MAID service 9 out of 10
RESTAURANTS last chance saloon ,great our main stay 9 -10. tepinyakie was interesting but not real japanese or anything similiar. 4-10. the seville was nice 9-10. the BUFFET for breakfast was 9-10. for lunch and dinner i was very dissapointed not a big selection 3-10. Over all pretty good but buffet needs lots of work.
The WATER SPORTS 10 -10 lots to do scuba diving is good for what jamaica has to offer .staff in all water sports was the best.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank wynne
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Beaches was such a disappointment. My husband and I went with our 18 month old son for six days in February. Our first problem was the room. We were paying $650 a day, everything included, but still . . . Our room was tiny and looked out onto their giant electrical facility and the highway. We complained, and asked for a quieter room (the sound of cars roaring back and forth wasn't exactly what we had in mind when we left New York City for a quiet time in Jamaica). They moved us to a room that was at the epicenter of pedestrian traffic, and right by the theater and disco. That night, we had to listen to a steel band playing until 2:00 am. We complained the next day, and they moved us back to a room on the highway. That night, we heard throbbing music until 4:00am. Remember, this is a family resort. In terms of cleanliness, there was the same dead roach on the floor of our bathroom for five days.

The first day, we dropped off our son at the baby camp. I was immediately uncomfortable with the attitude of the women who worked their. Let me explain that I've been to two Club Meds with baby camps before, so I knew the drill, I'm not an overly anxious, hovering mom, but it was all so wrong. When my husband dropped by later, he found our son strapped into stroller, bawling his eyes out with no one attending to him. Needless to say, we never used the baby camp again.

The food was acceptable, but certainly nothing special.

They had many activities you could do . . . if you didn't have a toddler with you.

Finally, we asked the gentleman at the front desk to check our flight on the morning of departure. He refused, claiming that they had a system where the airlines contacted them if there was a delay. We arrived at the Jamaican airport to learn that our plane was still on the tarmac at JFK. We ended up having to kill over five hours at the airport.

I cannot encourage people enough NOT to go to Beaches. All they want is your money. I've been going to Club Meds for years, and while they are far from perfect, they charge 1/3 less and their baby camps are a dream in comparison.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Philippa42
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I will keep this short and sweet BUT if you would like any more information or pictures, please feel free to contact me. This resort was amazing. We were married here and then moved on to Sandals Negril. I would not recommend this resort if you do not have kids (stay at the Sandals--it's just down the road). We love children but there were a LOT of them!:) Our wedding was fantastic. If you don't want a couple random people walking by in their swimsuits taking your pictures....don't get married here. We, however, are laid back and it was all part of the experience. We had a group of 15 people down in Negril and did the 3-hour, $75/person reception. It was worth it! If you can do this, I would suggest it. I have so much more that I could write about how wonderful everything is here but I don't want to bore you. If you have questions about anything specific or planning a wedding there, please let me know!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank mhm77
Reviewed March 11, 2007

I began planning the best day of my life about 10 months in advance. We, along with 23 guests (2 children) made the international trip and wouldn't have done it ANY other way.

I have noticed a lot of negative reviews, but I have to say that was NOT my experience and NONE of my guests had a bad trip (even my dad who went without luggage!). I personally think that if you aren't well placed, you will not be able to enjoy yourself. I give full credit of placement to our TA (more info on her later).

It is one month later and I am still daydreaming about my perfect beach wedding and all the wonderful times we had. I miss it every day.

Sandals/Beaches Miami Coordinator: F - she was unresponsive and rude, so I told my TA (see below) and everything got worked out. My advice: hire a GOOD TA to communicate with Sandals/Beaches local coordinators because they don't have any customer service skills, which is unfortunate for the Sandals organization which is otherwise wonderful.

Travel Agent, Hayley Whorral/Beach Bum Vacation: A++++++++++++++++
There are NO words to describe how wonderful Hayley and her team are. Hayley was a life saver, wedding planning and travel agent rolled into one. Not to mention she just "got" me.

Example 1: Hayley and I both had issues with the Miami coordinator during my planning process. She went to her boss and worked everything through her. Every single time I had a question, she skipped right over the Miami coordinator and got my answers immediately.

Example 2: When grandmother cancelled less than a week before we left, Hayley got her a full refund (minus the insurance) and also got me reimbursed for my grandmother's meals for our private dinners

Example 3: Sandals lost my dad's luggage (very rare) during the transfer on the bus. Because he had purchased trip insurance through Hayley, he was entitled to $800 worth of replacement items. Sandals eventually found and returned my dad's luggage (it went to the wrong resort by mistake, nothing was taken).

Example 4: When Beaches wanted to charge my MIL to have our OOT bags delivered ($3.00 a bag for bags for 9 rooms!), Hayley made a call and the fee was waived.

I really cannot say enough about her. She always let me know when she wasn't going to be in town and gave me another Beach Bum to contact. She is very responsive to emails and took my phone calls on a couple of different occasions late at night and on a Sunday. She made my WHOLE life easier during the planning process. She remembered and reminded me of things I didn't think about and when she did a resort visit, sent me pics and assured me things were gorgeous (she was right!).

She also sent us flowers the day of our return, wishing a happy marriage! Amazing!

Beaches Negril Onsite Coordinator, Andrea: A
Although, some girls take the stance that Sandals/Beaches is "unoriginal" or "drive throughish," it is really all up to you. They will do ANYTHING you want. Although they do move on "island time" everything came together perfectly.

We chose our music, location and flowers on Friday a.m. She gave us a tour, we talked about optional upgrades ($340 for arch decor) and our Welcome Dinner and Reception Brunch.

She made everything just right. They provided a sound system for free for us for both events so we could play mixed CDs we made. She gave us DOUBLE the amount of food we actually ordered for both meals.

By the way, they have menus you can choose from but we specially created our own via email (and through Hayley). They quoted us prices on our food choices, we prepaid per person ($25/pp for reception and $30/pp for WD). It included two hours of open bar and desserts as well. But as I said, she didn't think I had chosen ENOUGH food, so she threw it in! Awesome!

Beaches Negril Staff: B+
Wonderful, easy going and fabulous. They called us EVERY DAY (almost annoying) to find out how we were doing, if we needed anything, if we were happy. The only reason they get the B+ is because they LOST my dad's luggage on the transfer. But out of 25 people, I didn't think that was too bad. Thankfully he had what he needed for the wedding and they did FIND it but not until the last day. It wasn't a big deal to him, so it turned out fine.

Beaches Negril Steaming Service: C
I know this is something everyone has to worry about, so my suggestion is to turn your dress over IMMEDIATELY upon arrival at your resort. I waited until Friday afternoon and didn't get my dress back until about 40 minutes before the ceremony which really freaked me out. It was my fault, I know, but they get a C because they didn't unbustle my gown, so unbustled, it was still VERY wrinkly. I was disappointed I had to pay $55 for such a crap steam job and they took so long to get it back to me even though they KNEW when my wedding was.

Welcome Dinner and Food: A
Like I said, they doubled what I ordered. It included swordfish, jerk chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs, corn on the cob, green beans, a wide array of desserts, fruit tray, salad with dressings, and open bar. It was PLENTY considering we had only ordered the BBQ foods.

The staff was great, keeping us on time and they roped off a private area overlooking the resort's main pool so we weren't interrupted. They brought in a sound system so we could play our CDs. A photog was there to take pics (we didn't see any).

Wedding Officiant: A+
He was a reverand which made Erich happy because he wanted a more religious ceremony. He led us through our traditional vows, introduced Iric (our nephew and reader), and then we said our own. He quoted passages from the Bible and made our ceremony as personal to us as he could without knowing us. It was great. Like I said, they will do whatever you want.

Wedding: A+
Clearly, it was perfect. Perfect weather. The beach location at Beaches is near the end of the resort property. It is public, but the staff keeps people from walking too close or behind the arch during the ceremony. Yes, people can see you but it makes it special almost. They are just looking on. I didn't even notice anyone; I just saw Erich looking down the aisle at me and it made everyone else disappear.

They also offer a gazebo that is more secluded and overlooks the beach. It is very popular with a great aisle. But I loved having it on the beach. It was great!

Reception and Food: A
It was held privately although on the beach under a canopy. It was very romantic and fun. No one invades your space, as most people are respectful. We didn't even notice everyone around us although I'm sure they noticed us. they set up fabulous tables and covered the chairs (even though I didn't pay the $5.00 per chair!).

We served brunch, had an open bar and had a cake made for 25 people. It was SO good!! The cake was chocolate and creamy. Everyone really liked it.

Beaches Negril Resort Overall: A

I cannot say enough about how wonderful this resort is. There is plenty to do for everyone. They are child and singles friendly. Their bartenders, waiters/waitresses are friendly and fun. They are also VERY hard working. Their motto is "no problem, mon" for a reason. They do EVERYTHING they can to make things easier on you.

I know some girls did tip but we did not. We found no one who would accept it and we appreciated it. For an AI, it had wonderful food. We ate at several restaurants and with two prepaid meals, I couldn't have been happier.

For entertainment, they brought in bands/dancers/DJs for different events every night. They set up a luau type thing on Thursday night on the beach with a fire breather and great MC. We danced it up. Friday and Saturday we headed to the main stage for fun times and then off to the piano bar and disco for late night rowdiness.

During the day, we snorkled, took looong dips in the pool, played beach volleyball and enjoyed the swim up bar. Everything rocked. Honestly.

It was perfect FOR us. I know Sandals/Beaches isn't for everyone, but considering our guests, it was wonderful. They had plenty to do for everyone there. A great disco and piano bar for the late night partiers, which my friends are and Sesame Street stuff for the kids, which rocked our niece's world.

The rooms were nice. There is a water park for everyone, hot tubs, adult only pools, swim up bars, and it is just nice not carrying your wallet. We didn't tip anyone except our driver from the airport to the resort.

It was also recently renovated. Although the water pressure was low, everything else was nice. The rooms were cleaned (more than once a day if needed) and the resort itself was well kept.

If you want something simple, easy and fun, Sandals and great. I didn't have anything over the top. I didn't take a lot of decor (just the parasols and flowers) and I did bring in my own photog, who paid his own way and was technically a GUEST.

That is how we got around the photog issue. It worked out VERY well. He didn't get in anyone's way and we got everything we wanted.

The beach in Negril is phenomenal and a perfect backdrop for sunset wedding or early a.m. (which is what we did).

I highly recommend this resort for your wedding if you are still considering. They just make it simple on you. It doesn't mean it's not unique. You make it your own with the small details. I set up all the chairs in one row during the ceremony (for about 14 sitting guests). The Welcome Dinner was a nice touch and relaxing, a great way for people to meet. Having an AI was perfect for my alcohol loving friends who enjoy the DRINK and the timing was awesome, in February. For US, it was about our what our guests would enjoy and the amenities offered to them during down time. Beaches allows you to not micro manage every single minute of you and your guests vacations, which was perfect for me.

It was also EXTREMELY affordable:

TOTAL COST for the WEDDING (includes Welcome Dinner, reception and honeymoon - total 10 days in Jamaica and our personal airfare) - $7,000

Reception and WD - $1400

Room for 2 + Airfare - $2400/per couple (3 nights)

Room for 4 + Airfare - $1000/pp (3 nights)

If you have any questions, please let me know specifics. I am sure I left something out!

OVERALL: A+ (wouldn't have it any other way)

Stayed: February 2007