“Not what I expected”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 16, 2006

We just returned from Beaches Negril which we visited as part of a wedding group. We were disappointed--I really held Sandals resorts to a higher standard. While we thought the food was a little better than the average all inclusive, we did not think the hotel was very clean. The room we were in was not well maintained and the water was turned off completely on more than one occasion during our stay. The stopper in our sink was broken and we called asking them to please repair it so we could soak swimming suits, etc during our stay. They simply never showed up after two requests. We did do the candlelight dinner on the beach for our 10th anniversary--that was wonderful. I'll warn you though that I have about 50 bites on me--what I presume are sand fleas, so if there is any kind of repellent for those--bring it with you! I am hoping it was from the beach and not from anything in our room. The resort could have been much cleaner, including the pools. The sun is really potent, so plan on a little higher SPF than you would wear on the average. The gift shop is priced higher than the airport, so save your shopping for the duty free shops if you have the time. We also took a charter fishing cruise. The boat was about as basic as you can get--no comfort at all and $120 per person booked through the hotel--but very nice crew and we did catch several fish and almost a blue marlin! If you are looking for a luxurious place, this is not it. I did not price shop because we were going for a wedding. I would only go back here if not given a choice such as in the off chance other friends get married here. Final complaint--no bottled water is included at all with the price. You have to buy it in the gift shop. It is not available at the fitness center or the spa either. The tap water in the room is not cold, so we chased around ice water the entire trip. No refrigerator or microwaves or ice buckets or ice machines. No clotheslines in the room to hang suits. Pretty basic.

• Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank guess2
Write a ReviewReviews (5,409)

Reviewed October 16, 2006

My husband, 16 year old son and 15 year old daughter stayed at Beaches Negril from 9/30 to 10/7/06. I have to say this was one of the best vacations we ever had. The resort is beautiful, beaches are awesome, plenty of activities at the resort and the staff is very accommodating!!

The food is very good, especially at the Seville. The Mill was good too. Lots of selections.

My only complaint is that there should be more night time activities for teens. They advertise a "teen disco", but it is only exclusively for teens for one hour, one night a week.

I would go back in a heartbeat. You won't go wrong here, especially if you have small children.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank g.
Reviewed October 13, 2006

This resort has the best beach and activities. There were sesame street characters walking around at times but even though we are all adults we still like Elmo, Ernie & Burt! There were four restuarants to chose from daily and drinks were non-stop. The staff was sooo nice. Everyone from the food service folks to the front desk folks were decent people. If I traveled to Negril I would definately stay there again.

We also had a wedding at Beaches, Negril. The wedding turned out fabulous. However, there were a lot of hidden fees associated with the wedding. There was a lot of miscommunication between the two wedding consultants. One consultant is here in the states and the other is at the resort. We wound up adding on more than $1300 dollars to our wedding package for pics & flowers once we arrived.

My biggest complaint was that we had a large wedding party which occupied at least 12 rooms and out of all of the rooms ours (Bride/Groom) was the smallest!! NO UPGRADE

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank whalid
Reviewed October 9, 2006

First I would like to say that this hotel is very nice, clean and the staff is great. It is safe and the amenities are all they claim to be. The food is good and the location is beautiful. I highly recommend it for people with children.

However, I am a single woman and was not at all happy staying here. There are children everywhere even in the adult only pool. I was the only single person on the entire resort and there was a wedding outside my window 4 times a day every day. There are a number of bars on the resort. All of them are lame. I believe they had an Elvis impersonator when I was there. Where is the Bob Marley impersonator? This resort is off the beaten path and you must take a cab if you want to see any other single people.

I usually stay at Negril Gardens, but was transferred to Beaches because Negril Gardens was closed for the slow season. I will never stay at a Beaches resort again.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled with friends
3  Thank lildebbiesunshine
Reviewed October 1, 2006

Just returned from Beaches Negril on a destination island
Wedding. Andrea, the wedding coordinator and Nicola, the photographer were wonderful. We had 50 guests attend the wedding and they all enjoyed themselves very much. One downfall was, many of our guests were waiting a very long time to check into their rooms, but were upgraded graciously to compensate for the wait. We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite which was very comfortable and relaxing and yes, it was a oceanfront suite. The resort was not crowded at all. The staff was so friendly and very accomodating for our guests. Some restaurants were really good and some were routine, but you have to keep an open mind and make the best of everything. The tours offered were plentiful, but make sure you do not book a shopping trip on a Sunday as there were no shops open for our guests who did book this tour on this day. The gift shop was limited in what was in stock, so I do recommend going to the vendors on the beach for better deals and they have more to offer. Overall, we had a wonderful time. Many of our guests plan on going back to the same resort. My husband and I are going to try a different island, as we have been to Jamaica numerous times.

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank AlwaysBlessed
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We traveled from 9/11/06 - 9/16/06. I traveled with my family & Friends (we were 7 adults, 3 kids and an 18 month old infant.) WE ALL HAD A GREAT TIME - NOT ONE COMPLAINT... we didn't want to leave. Jamaican people are so nice and friendly. We arrived at MBJ, went right though customs w/o any problem. We then went to the Beaches reception room and waited about 10 minutes (enough time to go to the restroom and have a free beverage). Then we were off. Our bus driver "CHICKEN" was excellent. He pointed out sites and kept us informed about our trip. Then after an hour we had a restroom/beverage stop and then we were off again. When we reached the hotel, we were greeted with refreshments and a refreshing cool towel to cools off. There is no standing around, you sit down in the reception room and the concierge takes care of everything. You just sit and relax.

ROOMS: we had deluxe rooms.. our rooms were very clean and comfortable. The only thing, I would have liked is a refrigerator or mini bar in our room but besides that the rooms were great!

FOOD: MILLS - Good as to be expected from a buffet. Breakfast was great and very plentiful, pancakes, waffles, make to order omletes or eggs, bacon, sausage, fruits, muffins, etc. Didn't have time to go to lunch here. Dinner, a wide variety of foods which changed each night. Great Kids Corner : Mac & Cheese, french fries, chicken nuggets, etc.
LAST CHANCE SALOON has great fish and chips and delicious BBQ Ribs.
CAFE CARNIVAL had all kinds of pizza and pasta made to order.
TEPPANYAKI , didn't like it to much but maybe it was just that I was too tired to eat and enjoy the food/show.
THE POOL: Faboulous particularly the family pool next to the slides and lazy river. Which has a swim up bar.
LAZY RIVER: my 18 month old would fall asleep every afternoon enjoy the lazy river. Great relaxing fun.
WATER SLIDES - great family fun.
BEACH - breathtaking clear...Watersports were fun and everyone is very helpful, we went snorkeling, banana boating, kayak, sailed and just laid under the huts and took a nice nap.
BEACHFRONT MASSAGE: It is well worth the price for a beachfront full body tropical massage. Stacy Ann has magical hands.
EVENING ENTERTAINMENT: great family fun with games and dance contest. We were too tired from the day activities to even go to the disco.
KIDS CAMP, the kids only went the last 2 days and they regreted not going before.
Fran the photographer was so friendly as well as Simone at the kids camp.
BRAIDS: we (6 of us) got braides by two locals... Mona Lisa and Janet. They only charged $35.00 p/p.

CONS:
Pools, lazy river and slides close at 5 p.m. for cleaning. but pool reopens at 6 p.m. Which wasn't that bad b/c we would then go to the beach and have a sunset swim.
Most of the common areas have no airconditioning/alfresco... took some time to get use to but after two days, I was fine.

We really were so sad to leave Jamaica and BEACHES NEGRIL . We will definitely be back VERY VERY SOON!

Thanks Beaches for a great family vacation :)

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
22  Thank yvettecarrero
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Found the rooms dirty and outdated,along with the rest of the resort.Beach equipment needs repair and or replacing. Web site is miss leading.
There are no ocean view rooms.Resort manager is rude and lacks people skills.Every request turns into a stressful situation,
She is in no hurry to accomodate your request. But she will tell you how busy she is.
Gordon Butch Stewart I hope shes not your prize employee.
Overall vacation was not worth the money for what it cost. I have been on fabulous vacations that cost 1/2 the price.
Some one needs to reavalueate this resort and the staff, they are missing the big picture.I would start with the manager.
And if you have a complaint about your stay save your breath, it will fall on death ears, they have your money and thats that.

Stayed: June 2006