Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Monteal,canada
Reviewed May 3, 2006

We stayed at Beaches Negril from th 23 rd of april till the 1st of may.
We were vwry wise to book a honeymoon suite with 2 kids 3& 5 you really need some space ,regular rooms are to small.Plus you get the conceriege service that is a plus.
The beach was clean and beautiful not very crowded.
the resort well maintained .
the food very disappointing.
the kids camps overcrowded especially with 1to 2 years old crying ...
so if you are booking your vacation couting on their kids camps for little ones under 4 forget about it ,but the nice thing you can have your own nanny for 8$ an hour and enjoy a couple of water activities and not worry especially ** Marcia *** she is wonderfull with kids ,so book her as soon as you arrive at the resort she will watch over your kids personally.
Plenty of drinks .
If you are expecting 5 star dining forget about it . We come from Montreal ,Canada and are picky about food so we were really disappointed.
The kids shows and entertainment are overrated and not enough.
No night life a really quiet family resort and reunion .
the staff is friendly especially your conceierge because you have a suite.
for canadians it is an expensive destination you could get more value for you money in riviera maya Paradisus especially for food the only thing that is hard to find is a valuable Marcia that you could trust your kids with her(3 & 5).
The mattress was awfull an old matress in a suite ?????
But things will not change because the resort is always sold out and Americans do not seem to find it expensive and a lot of people are not very picky and give it a 5 star .
it is overall a 3and half .
I will not try another beaches next time i will choose a reall five star and take with me my Nanny it would have costed me the same price .

I enjoyed my vacation beacuse the weather was great ,the beach was very nice ,and the kids were not sick the water is ok .

Dan

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,314)

Lincoln Unviersity, PA
Reviewed May 3, 2006

xMy husband and I just returned 2 days ago. The primary purpose of the trip was to attend our friend's wedding...we had a lovely time. We left our daughter at home so we could have a nice adult get-a-way. I have to say that this resort really impressed us. I felt like they could accomodate any type of group. Our friends with children couldn't say enough about their children's activities (and I have to say that I agree...just from the bit that I saw, it appeared that the nannies enjoyed the kids as much as the kids enjoed them). Although there are tons of kid programs my husband and I had a wonderful, relaxing, romantic trip. The resort did a wonderful job of catering to couples too.
I can't say enough about the people - Jamaicans are wonderful. The island was a bit sad...very poor and the people are so hard working and friendly - very sad situation. They all wear buttons advising not to tip but we met a few people that made the difference between a good trip and a fantastic trip....so we tipped them anyway. We learned pretty quickly that once you tip them they are you're friend for life. They would hunt us down to bring us drinks or sit us at a private table with a view. So my recommendation is to tip anyway :) Not a lot...we probably only tipped $10 or so to 4 or 5 people. Not a bad investment considering how great our service was...and how much $10 is in their world.

The beach was fabulous!!! Perfect...clean, white, huge, beautiful sunset, nice breeze, calm shallow crystal clear water....not to mention tons of FREE watersports!!! I was totally impressed...espcecially since we cruise a lot (they charge a fortune for everything). This is truly a super all-inclusive.

Pools were nice and the slides/kids stuff was fun for us too. Tons of room...never crowded.

Restaurants were nice...and there were plenty of options. I'm always a bit concerned that I will get tired of the same resturants but I have to say that they were pretty good.

The only complaint I have was with our room - they put us right next to the Disco...so all we heard was the bass going until 2 am. The water pressure wasn't great and we had a few times that we had to wait 15 or 20 min to shower but it always came back and never really caused us any huge problems. Our room number was 520...so I recommend making sure you are not in the 500 block.

You can't go wrong with the resort - just don't plan to wander off...the island is much better enjoyed within the resort. There are a few excursions but for the most part you won't be venturing off (you'll see what I mean when you drive from the airport to the resort). Enjoy the beautiful people - they are amazing!

*Oh and yes we would consider going back...and we would certainly bring my daughter. We are actaully looking into booking at their turks and caicos resort (it looks even nicer).

Best Wishes!
Jonell
Pennsylvania

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

We went to Beaches Negril from 20-27 April 2006 and have to say it exceeded all our expectations:

Flight - From Manchester - Upgraded to premium with Thomson and will do so again, well worth the extra.

Room - Upgraded from Deluxe to Grandeluxe Beach Front, however, the Deluxe would have been fine, they're slap bang in the centre of it all, we were next door to the Couples Resort, but this was not a problem. Housekeeping staff were excellent.

Food - Out of this world, how anybody can not enjoy the selection of food available, god knows!! Even my fussy 1 and 3 year olds found something every meal time (usually Banana Cake). My 3 year old is addicted to Strawberry Milk and I was so relieved to find out that they did it. If you need food delivered to the room, just order it at the restaurant and they'll bring it to the room, absolutely no problems.

Pool/Waterpark - Put your towels out early, ie, 7am and put something personal on the bed, ie, a book as they do get taken up quite quickly. There's always plenty of beds on the beach which is great and only a short stroll to the bar.

Kids Kamp - Only used for a few hours as our kids got runny noses in the air con and the nurse wanted us to see a doctor. A couple we met were doctors and gave them the all clear.

Sesame Street - Our kids are hooked now. Characters were brilliant and really into the whole thing.

We priced up for next year as soon as we returned as we loved it that much. We saw a few weddings there and they looked fab.

10  Thank goingtojamaica
Reviewed April 30, 2006

My family and I recently Apr 15 -22 2006) visited the Beaches resort in Negril Jamaica. I have read a lot of the reviews and I do have to agree, unfortunatley, with some of the negative ones.

We were a family of 4 traveling with about 9 other families. Because we were with such a large (and FUN!) group, I could never say we didn't enjoy ourselves. However, I would like to give you an honest review of our experience.

After we booked our trip I read the reviews on this site. The ones that struck me the most were the ones saying their children and many other children wound up getting swimmers ear. It was like an epidemic. So, I thought, even though my children 15, and 11, had never had swimmers ear, I should pack drops and earplugs "just in case". Well, I have to tell you that atleast 1 child in each family that we were with got swimmers ear. Friday morning, the last full day of our trip, we were in line to see the nurse and doctor on call. After spending $100.00 for the visit and $95.00 for our medicine, we were forced to find other activities since no one wanted their kids to be in the pool. Some kids were so sick and in pain they spent the day in their rooms! The staff insisted the pool was clean. We suspect the lazy river. I am not a doctor, but I can't imagine why all these kids got sick. We also met others at the resort whose kids had the same fate. This was my biggest complaint with the resort. We have taken our kids to many, many other trips and this has never happened. Use your own judgement.

Overall, the place was nice. The best part of the trip was it wasn't crowded. It was the first vacation we had been on where we din't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a lounge chair. The pools were busier than the beach, but I plenty of room to hang out.
There were no huge lines for dinner (we mostly ate at the Mill where it is buffet).
The food was just ok. But, we are from Boston and spoiled when it comes to food. We realize that and don't have high expectations. The adult only restaurant was good, the Last Chance Saloon was horrible! The Japenese reataurant was Ok, fun for the kids. My husband booked a private dinner for 2 on the beach one night. We had a nice dinner, white glove service for a small fee. That was really good.
There were 2 nights they had the buffet right on the beach in place of going to the Mill.

We stayed in the Montpelier building. I liked it there. Although it was not well lit at night, I liked being on that side of the resort, it was very quiet.

We took a ride to Rick's Cafe. A must! Don't let the consierge tell you they will get you a ride for $19.00 per adult/ $9.00 per kid. Call Rick's they will send a bus. Go here late in the afternoon and be there for the sunset, awesome! But I guess you should leave by dark if you have kids, things get risque, from what they say!

It was a bonus to have some water sports included. we took advantage of the sailing, bananna boat, and snorkeling. We paid to jet ski and parasail, lots of fun!

We had a great time. I would consider Beaches in Turks and Caicos.
Hope this review helps!
PS Oh and that bus ride from the airport to the resort............1 1/2 hours don't let anyone tell you different!

6  Thank kim613
Reviewed April 27, 2006

My family just returned from Beaches Negril where we all attended my nieces wedding. I cannot say enough about the friendly service and abundance of activities for all types. My brother and his wife, who didn't have children with them, had expected it to be overrun with screaming babies and unruly kids. Not even close. The activities crew keeps them all so busy. My son, who is 12, was kind of caught between the young kids stuff and the teenage stuff so he didn't partiicpate in any of the planned activities. But there was always snorkeling, water skiing, banana boats, and just splashing around in the pools and water park. And then there was scuba diving! We were not certified so had to take the resort course, but the instructors and guides were so patient with this 40 something nervous wreck! I didn't think I would be able to handle the dive, but they encouraged me and WOW. What a feeling! I came home looking to find a certification course near me so I can do this again and again.

The wait staff and the housekeeping staff were remarkable. Rarely had to ask for anything. The people back home who work for tips can learn a thing or two from these people. Our transport to and from the resort to the airport was flawless.

Have a couple of tips: #1 - Don't bother upgrading to anything more than a Premium Room. You don't spend much time there anyway. We were in the best location...smack dab in the center of the complex, convenient to everything. The Savannah block (Rooms 400 thru 599) was perfect. #2 - Don't lose your safe key! It costs $100 to have the lock drilled! Luckily we found ours. #3 - The perfect Pina Colada is made with one shot of coconut rum and one shot of Appleton rum!

I have heard that the Jamaican people are the most laid back of all of the island people. We want to try Turks and Caicos next time. Has anyone had experience with it?

Enjoy!

11  Thank JRzMom
Reviewed April 20, 2006

I stayed at Beaches Negril from April 7th thru April 17th. I flew from LHR with Air Jamaica (no delays!) and arrived at the Airport around 7pm Jamaica time. After a long flight (nearly 10 hours), with my husband and five year old daughter, all I wanted to do was get to my hotel. She was tired and a bit grotchy (understandable - it was 1am British Time.) We were greeted quickly by the Sandals/Beaches Rep and shown to the lounge where we were able to help ourselves to a cool drink. Within 5 minutes, we were shown to our bus, and the porters took our bags and loaded them for us (remember a few small notes for tips - the porters are airport employees and not Beaches). The bus ride took a little under two hours, (no stops) and we were delivered to the hotel safely!

Check in at the Hotel could of been quicker - but as I say we were tired, so maybe it just seemed to take forever; there were about 10 people to check in and it took about an hour from arrival at the hotel, to finally being shown our room. We were offered a fruit punch to sip whilst waiting; very nice. We were most grateful to be upgraded from a standard "deluxe" room to a "grandluxe beachfront" room. Thanks guys!

We took a little wander around the resort as just to familiariase ourselves with our location and grabbed a quick drink at the bar. The place seemed very quiet - this is not the place for a late night party!

THE ROOMS
Our room was spacious enough for our needs, with a dressing area with sink; separate bathroom with WC, Kingsize Bed (superking to us british) and double sofa bed for my daughter. We all agreed the beds were very comfortable, although the pillows seemed a little hard - I would take my own pillow if I returned as I woke with a headache due to a creaked neck on a couple of days.

The aircon in the room worked well.

The balcony had a table and two chairs (a pain seeing as there were three of us - but I'm sure they'd have brought another if I'd asked). We had a lovely view of the beach through the gardens, and could see the beautiful sunset each night.

There are no fridges in the "rooms" - I think they are only provided in suites, Beaches take note! I would of loved a fridge to keep fresh milk for coffee, and water in!!!

FOOD
Breakfast: (Mill) plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, muffins, and hot food available, toasters were a bit slow so put your toast in whilst gathering the rest of your hot food! Omelette/Eggs cooked to order and a separate area for children to choose their own hot food. I have no complaints over breakfast - all in all - it was good for a buffet restaurant

Lunch: taken in either the Mill Restaurant ie. buffet (resort casual dress required ie. no swimwear) or in the Beach Grill (you can wear swimwear there). You can grab pizzas which are freshly made, pasta, or order burgers, chips, chicken, patties, etc. Chips and dips available to help yourself to. All in all, everything was good. Not much in the way of drinks service, but as I was only drinking soft drinks, I helped myself from the Soda machine.

Dinner: I only ate in the tex-mex and Mill as I had my family and didn't want the formality of dining in the Teppenyaki or Seville (both were highly recommended by other guests though). Tex-Mex was FAB - steaks the size of a Sunday Roast Joint!!! Buffet still good, especially the meats from the carvery. If you see Sharine the waitress -be nice to her! Shes so lovely and arranged a special "Last Night" dinner for my family which was served in the area normally reserved for wedding parties. Nice touch.

Popcorn / icecream / coffee machines were available throughout the day - and they are regularly cleaned - so if you have to wait 5 minutes for them - be grateful that at least the machines are clean - I can't understand why people griped at the wait????

POOLS
Two pools are available - the childrens pool with two slides, lazy river and paddling area, includes a swim up bar - sunbeds are hard to come by in this area as this is where most families head; then there is the main pool, with volleyball net, swim up bar (ask Adrian to make you a special Bailey's Cocktail - lovely!!!!) and daily aqua aerobics. This is where we headed on our "pool" days. As has been said before, some people seem to reserve the sun-beds - then not appear - however we discovered that the staff lay towels on the beds for guests to use - which could make you believe the sunbeds are taken - so we decided that if there were no personal effects on the sunbeds, ie. bags, books, shoes etc, we would take them. We had no complaints!!! Tee hee.

The pools were lovely and clean. The lazy river wasn't as lazy as I thought it might be - you have to try it - what fun! The two slides are worlds apart, the open air slide allows you to gracefully slide down to the water, whereas the enclosed slide sucks you in and spits you out with your legs in the air, and water up your nose if you aren't ready for the plunge! Tip - it takes 5 seconds to reach the bottom of the faster enclosed slide - count to four and hold ya breath!!!!

THE BEACH
Lovely powdery sand, on a palm tree lined beach. Clear warm water. Gentle breezes. The beach is cleaned every morning and fresh towels taken to the beach at about 7am. Plenty of sunbeds for everyone. Arrive early if you want the shaded areas. Lots of watersports available if you desire - I didn't (I am here to relax!!!) Husband paid about £30 ($45us I think) for a 40 minute Jetski - he had great fun.

THE GROUNDS
Lots of beautiful plants / trees. Kept beautifully clean. There is a seat swing to relax in. From our room we could see couples being married in the gazebo - very romantic setting.

THE KIDS CLUB
On my daughters first visit - she stayed two hours. We then checked on her. She told us she wanted to leave as she was bored and missed us. So she came and played in the pool with us. After a few days, and after finding out Cookie Monster would be paying a visit, she decided to try again. This time she stayed for four hours and thoroughly enjoyed herself. No problems. She made cookies, did colouring in, watched a film and made a placemat. Lots of other things were on offer, but as she only visited twice I cannot comment on them. I found the staff to be friendly and caring........she was recognised throughout the resort by the kids club staff, who remembered her name and always stopped to say hi.

ENTERTAINMENT
There were to Beach Parties whilst I was there. Both were barbecues which offered buffet style dining with salads, hot food and food from the grill. All in all a wonderful night with entertainment (bands, flame throwers etc) although the food was not as hot as I would of liked. No problems with upset stomaches for our family, but I am aware that someone else had a problem - not sure whether the food was to blame?

There is a daily entertainment board posted, with whats on; usually a singer or singers, fashion shows, and once a week a Sesame Street Parade. We usually sat in the bar, with friends we had made, and sipped a cold drink whilst listening to the music. Most nights we went to bed by 10pm. I understand there is a piano bar and a disco, but we didn't experience either as we were happy with our "chilled out" evenings.

CHECKOUT
We needed to leave our rooms by 11am, and leave our cases outside our room. These are collected by a porter and delivered to the hotel front in time for your collection and onward transport to the airport. We left a couple of items in the room deliberately as we didn't want to take them with us - but the service maid placed them with our cases - you couldn't forget to take anything with you!!!! A room is provided for your to take a shower in however this is shared with other guests. As were were not picked up until around 7pm, we used the room of fellow guests who we had made friends with, for a predinner shower etc. Our pick up was prompt, and the journey to the airport uneventful!

Our flight home was once again on time ( I know this isn't part of the Beaches package - but fellow travellers from Britain using Air Jamaica may have read several reviews saying that the flights are always delayed - ours wasn't!!!)

Altogether we had the most fabulous time, and came home refreshed relaxed and tanned!!! Throughout our stay, we received phone calls from the Hotel Management to check we were enjoying ourselves and to see if there was anything we required - if you are not happy about something, it would appear that they will go out of their way to fix it for you.

A couple of extra tips:-

- If you are not used to being in a hot country - take a very high factor sun lotion for the first couple of days - you WILL burn!

- Take PLENTY of insect repellant otherwise you WILL be bitten!

- If you are a light sleeper as I am, take some earplugs - the staff work late clearing up the beach/restaurants, and then get up early to do the same. You may hear trolleys rattling up the paths. I had earplugs and was blissfully ignorant to anything going on!

- Don't bother with your hairdryer/iron/towels - you don't need them - they supply these

- Don't bother taking too many clothes! I overpacked - you will only wear lightweight clothes in the evenings, a swimming costume with shorts/tshirt or sarong in the daytime, plus if you want to go to one of the more formal restaurants in the evening a couple of slightly smarter outfits. If you go out of the resort you will need to wear shorts/t-shirts etc.

- Remember Jamaicans are in general very laid back people who are incredibly friendly....as long as you remember your manners they will treat you with respect and kindness (those who thought the staff were unfriendly were, in my opinion, very rude themselves - please and thankyou costs nothing, and smile is most welcome too!!!!)

Anything I've missed??? Please feel free to email me!!!! Enjoy.

32  Thank shropshirelass33
D.C.
Reviewed April 15, 2006

I have to say after reading the various comments - I had some reservations, but as with all things - find out for yourself and I am sure glad we did.

Fabulous is the only word I can come up with - it was everything we expected and more.

I cannot imagine why anyone would have a bad time. Sure - I ran into two people who were upset - but when they told me what had upset them - you relaize they have other issues. Some were upset their children were pulled from the kids camp becasue they had a runny nose - I understand how dissapointing it is when you plan to relax with your hubby and you end up getting stuck with the kids - but that does'nt not make everything else bad !!.

I know I'm glad that they do pull sick kids so that they don't infect others,

The Kids Camp was full of activities and they give you little beepers to alert you if your child is not setteling in or is ill or just wants you !!! -

Thank goodnes ours never went off but it did two days before we left as our little one started teething and was getting fussy and would not stop crying - she woudl'nt settle so she ended up staying with us fo rthe rest of the trip but that did'nt stop us as my husband and I did get to spend some quality time alone at the Seville as we hired a sitter from the Kids Camp so you do have opportunities to spend time alone even if your kid gets pulled for a runny nose like ours did

The beach is fabulous, the pools and waterpark is great - the food is good too - the only problem - too many people ! - it felt crowded - and I can see how it would annoy some people but it was a great place - it apparanetly is very popular and always full.

Alll staff were freidnly and someone was awlays offering to help. I had this one lady call me every so often to check on us - said she was our PLC manager - not sure what it was but she got me little things I needed and told me to call her if I needed help with anything and she certainly did.

What I will get next time (yes I will be going back) is a BUTLER !! - These people took care of a family next to us like royalty - they moved chairs for them set them up with coolers on the beach, brought meals to them and even packed for them !! - You have to book a 2 bedroom suite to get them though so next time I am booking one !! Imagine someone packing and unpacking for me - that is heaven !!

Again - met someone who was upset that they did'nt have a butler - but HELLO - when I asked if he paid for one he told me no he did'nt - so I don't get it !!

After seeing the 2 bedroom suite I realized my room was a tad bit snall (I did book the cheapest) but then felt I wanted a bigger room and got a junior suite so I paid the difference to get a larger room which was well owrth it.

Anyoo - The Sesame Street side of things made it big with the kids - the charachters were all over and you could find them by following the schedules - my kids ha a great time baking with Cookie, dancing with Zoe marching in the Sesame parade, at the shows where they sing and dance.

You can have a great time - do not believe everything you read - as with all things - find out for yourslef.
We did and had a great time and will be making it next year!!

• Stayed: March 2006
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
1 mi away
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!