“Great but be careful” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Windsor, Canada
“Great but be careful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

This was my 40th birthday celebrated with my husband and 2 small children, 4years and almost 6 years. Firstly, overall it was a good vacation, but unfortunately we had our camera stolen mid way into our vacation. We always took our valuables such as camera, video camera, ipods, room keys and money in a smaller, more portable bag within our large beach bag. On the particular day it went missing, we went to eat at the Japanese restaurant at about 1215pm and at about 105pm I went up to the room with my son who wasn't feeling good, and my husband went for a massage on the beach, my daughter in day camp. As usual on our trips we would leave our bag behind with are lotions at our chairs and come back later. Unfortunately, for the hour and a half we were gone and i realized I didn't have it, someone took it from the pool side, the pool next to the lazy river/water slide. The most disappointing part is we lost the memories, the camera didn't matter. The camera is a Canon digital, silver.
Upon investigation we were told that there wasn't any proof on who took or where it was, so they couldn't do anything or even compensate us for our loss. Bear in mind, with hotel charges and one weeks stay for 4, this was an $8000.00 trip and we have booked our next trip for next year in Turks and Caicos with Beaches. If anyone reading this who stayed at Beaches during the week of June 13 to June 20th who knows what could have happened to our camera, please contact us. All I want is the memories back.

1 Thank Danebrook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

This resort was the perfect destination for our family. We have a 18 and 11 year old.
We went to celebrate our 20th anniversary and my son's high school graduation.
It was an all inclusive resort. We had sail boats, water trikes, canoes, snorkling,
valleyball 2 large pools and a waterpark. I am sure I am forgetting something.
The Staff is very accomadating to all your needs. Oh and 5 resturants all included.
They delivered bottles of wine to our room everyday.

2 Thank Angstuart
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

Our vacation at Beaches was great! My teenage son (along with other teenagers that traveled in our group) had an excellent time. The resort really caters to the kids.
One thing I would like to mention is that the mosquitos (sand fleas) are horrible. Make sure to include bug spray. The spray in the gift shop cost $11.99 a can.
The staff was great for the most part. I had one bartender (Damien) that was very rude. He was truly an exception. I hope management address his attitude. Outside of that, Natasha (one of the players) is a gem along with the others.
One other disappointment is the teenage club doubles as a club for the adults. I think that they should offer separate clubs so that the teenagers can have somewhere to go each night.

1 Thank rectrc
Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

Vacationing at the Negril "Beaches" property was an awesome experience for our family. My six year old daughter had a blast snorkeling, playing on the pristine "7 mile" beach. My wife had a great time relaxing while our daughter was off playing with other children with the resort's trained and certified staff. The food was unbelievably delicious. The accommodations were amazing. I see why the Beaches Negril won a 2009 award for being the best resort in the Caribbean.

1 Thank TripBayArea
Medway, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

My mum and stepdad went to a Sandle resort in St.Lucia and got engaged out there. They knew they wanted to get married in the Caribbean. On booking Beaches Negril we was told an exceptional holiday was in store for us. On arrival we was given fruit punch (rum punch for the adults) and cold flannels. Immediately the staff were friendly and welcoming. On the first day my friend abbie and myself went put to the beach and was talking to the lifegurads who nicknamed m spongebob-due to my bikinni. Troughout the holiday that was my nickname and all the staff used it and remember the names of everyone that went. This added that special touch to the top class hospitality. The wedding was amazing thanks to the organiser out there who arranged everything and let my mum and stepdad relax around the pool-bars and fantastic beach. Yes so we had problems getting the rooms right but hey...after two days it was forgetten. The food was top notch and the people were brilliant. Definately would love to visit again!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank smudge888
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

I was married in November 1989 and honeymooned at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay. We were so depressed when we left there knowing it might be a while before we would return. We promised ourselves we'd be back! Little did we know that it would be our 20th anniversary and two kids later before we returned.
This time we took the kids to Beaches Negril and had an AWESOME time. There is something for everyone there. After reading some of the other reviews, I was expecting only average food, but it was much better than average. The kids enjoyed the XBox room and water slides, and mom and dad enjoyed the swim up bars! We went snorkeling as a family, had a family beach sunset photo made, did the Scratch DJ Academy, and just laid around the pools and on the floating ocean docks.
The thing that really makes Sandals and Beaches stand out from any other vacation spot is the quality of the people that work there. The Jamaican people are unbelieveably nice and so accomadating. We can't wait to go back again - and I promised my family it won't take so long this time!

1 Thank 1983grad
manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

This holiday should have been half the price! The disruption caused by the photoshoot was ridiculous. The customer firmly in second place to the photoshoot team. They closed the beach, the pools, the water park and the bars, during the holiday. At this level, everything must be open and available and even then the holiday is vastly overprice. The staff pandered to to the phototeams every whim and if you strayed into one of their areas, you were made to feel very awkward. Don't be fooled by the brochure, the photos are window dressed to an extent that you would'nt believe. The chairs, glasses, sunloungers, towels and shacks are all brought in for the shoot and you wont see them. In the UK the Trade Descriptions Act prevents Companies from advertising something that isn't true, Beaches and Sandals seem to get away with this but it is wrong. Love is all you need....... maybe if the standards were close to those that you see in the glossy ads. but they are NOT. Its good but you pay an awful lot for this,so not good enough. BEWARE Oh and it took us 3 hours to get through the airport on a Saturday, be prepared for a stressful first day if you arrive on a Saturday. The airport cannot cope with the volumes and nobody gives a damn! Add a mad 1 and a half hour coach trip with a driver who doesn't concentrate on the road and that just about sums it up ! Nice enough place but definitely NOT 5 star.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank marky_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 84 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,431 reviews

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!