“An Excellent Family Vacation”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We just returned from a week at Negril with our kids aged 2, 5 and 8. They had an absolute blast. The beach is spectacular. Soft sand with a gentle slope into the ocean. The western view provides a great sunset every night. The lazy river is great with young kids. The water slides were very fast for my eight year old.

We were there 6 years ago. I thought the food offerings now include more healthier options for my kids. My kids also loved the various Seseame Street events.

My wife thought the spa services were excellent.

I also thought the staff were excellent. We had a family dinner on the beach. The photographer talked to my five year old for 30 minutes.

My 8 year old and 5 year old thought the kids camp activities were great. The staff were certainly very kind, caring and genuinely interested in the children in their care.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank MJKennedy

Reviewed March 9, 2009

My wife and I took our 18 month old daughter to Beaches Negril for 8 days. Needless to say, I was a bit worried after reading mixed reviews. Hopefully my review will help clear up some misconceptions. First off, the resort is beautiful. This is our third stay at a Sandals resort and Beaches Negril did not disappoint. The room we stayed in was standard, and it was what we expected. The bathroom could use an upgrade but was totally usable. The rest of the room was clean and very enjoyable (for the little time we spent there). The resort itself had everything a small child (and adult) could ask for. The whole place was so clean, the pools were a good temperature and the festivities (Sesame Street parade, Beach Parties, etc.) were perfect for our daughter. The beach, well it is simply spectacular and the best part was that it was easy to get a chair at any time of day. The food was great, and the open air atmosphere while dining at the Last Chance Saloon or Pasta/Pizzeria was fantastic. The best part though was the staff. Our room was cleaned twice daily, there were ample towles by the pool and they even brought us extra milk (for our daughter) and shampoo/moisturizer whenever we asked. The daycare was a nice addition, although we only used it for about an hour each day and the fitness centre is very nice (although I only went twice). Bottom line, the resort is beautiful and clean, the food is great, the weather is near perfect and the staff are very courteous. This place is for the kids, but the adults will enjoy it too. It's a top notch stay as far as I'm concerned. It is my belief that there are those that will complain about anything , and provided you are not one of those people, I guarentee a fantastic time at Beach Negril. We'll definitely go back again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank s3young
Reviewed March 5, 2009

I just returned from Beaches Negril with my wife, and two teenage kids, 14 and 16 years old. We stayed at the resort from February 13, 2009 to February 19, 2009. When we first arrived we were given warm towels and a drink of Jamaican rum punch as we waited for our luggage to be unloaded from the bus. I was impressed with the décor of the lobby-waiting area as the staff seemed a little bit un-organized in having getting the paperwork for the room, we got there a little early at 2:15 pm. We were told our room would not be ready for at least an hour. No problem, we were escorted by an employee to the Last Chance Saloon Restaurant for lunch. I ordered the jerk chicken. It was great, although I found the service a little slow. But I am from New York and the pace here is a little slower then I am used to. It was no big deal. If you get to the resort early remember to pack a bathing suit and towel in your carry-on bag, that way you can use the facilities right away. The beach was beautiful and very big. During our stay there was no problem finding lounge chairs and a spot under a shady area. There was plenty of room and plenty of lounge chairs on the beach always. By the pool was a different story, there were towels laid out on the chairs by 7:30 am. So if you want to sit by the pool, get up early and reserve your spot. We went during President’s week and someone said that it was at 80% capacity, it sure didn’t seem like it. The room was very basic and clean. The only problems in the room are that they’re very open and you have no privacy. The bathroom sink area had no door or curtain to separate it from the sleeping area so it made it hard to get changed with family in the room. We had to take turns leaving the room so other family members could get changed and what-not. Also they have couches that pull out to beds. The one that we had, the springs were broken and some were missing. My son sunk into a hole in the middle of the bed. This was very unsuitable for him. We just asked for another roll-away, within an hour we had it. Sofas are not the most comfortable beds anyway. The food overall was above average. Breakfast is always served at the Mill restaurant and it is served buffet style and you can get made to order omelets or pancakes which were very good. The Mill restaurant is used for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it’s always buffet style. The Seville Restaurant is for adults only and no one under sixteen is allowed. The Last Chance Saloon is a Tex-Mex type theme restaurant at night serving Mexican type foods like shrimp, chicken and beef fajitas etc. During the day you can get burgers, jerk chicken, etc. They also have the Grill by the water slide, where you can get burgers and hotdogs and other quick to order type foods as well as ice-cream. There is a restaurant called Kimonos it’s hibachi style cooking where the Chef cooks the meals in front of you. It was very good but they only give you small portions. I was still hungry afterwards. Just a note, you must make reservations for Kimonos 24 hours in advance and it fills up very quick. One night my wife and I had a private dinner on the beach with your own private waiter. This was extra and not included in the all inclusive package. The food was very good and it added a nice touch to our stay. On our last full day we also rented a cabana on the beach. You have this from 8:00 am to sundown. With this you also get your own personal cabana girl. She sets you up with a cooler of beer, juice, water, and soda. She will serve you breakfast and lunch. She will take your drink orders for the day. She is your butlerette (how ever you spell or say a female butler) for the day. The cabana was great for me because I am a shade lover. The water sport employees were very nice. I love to sail and they had plenty of sailboats and one was always available. They also have kayaks, wind surfing boards, as well as those big wheel water bikes. They had waterskiing, jet skis and parasailing, but that is an off the resort entertainment. There are 2 pools, the main pool which is quite large, but there was never really many people in it. It has a swim up bar and a volleyball area. The other pool was smaller, but more popular, probably because it’s closer to the beach and water park. This also has a swim up bar, but the service isn’t as great as the other bar. The water park area had a lazy river and 2 pool slides which my kids enjoyed. At night they have the shows that start very early. Remember that this resort is geared for kids. The nightlife for the adults is minimal. After 9:00 pm every thing seemed a little dull. There are two bars open during these hours the Theatre Bar and Club Liquid (a very small night club.) The one by the stage area at 10:00 pm every night was karaoke. During our stay it was the same people getting up and singing the same songs from the night before. Club Liquid had a 17 to 21 age limit from 10 to 11 pm and allowed kids to go and socialize and dance. After 11pm the adults would go and hang out there after karaoke. I just wish they had more activities for the adults. We stayed a Beaches Boscobel last year and that had a nice piano bar where everyone sang along around the piano with the piano player. Overall it was a nice experience and we had a good time and would go back again. The employees of this resort try very hard to make your stay a great vacation.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank JERRY4646
Reviewed March 4, 2009

we were initially booked for turks and caicos, but because of the hurricaine, we were redirected to negril.

the childrens area was in major need of a refurbishing! the carpet was gross as were the cushions that the children rest on. there is a seperate sleeping room with cribs (i have two little children) that was MUSTY smelling--i forbid the staff to allow my children to sleep there. my children only "took to" one staff member--i felt the distance of the staff with the children. it was "work" to be with the kids, not effortless in any way!

we were there during low season and you'd never know it! the staff paid little attention to anything--towels and dishes (and lotion bottles and shirts that people left behind) were still at poolside the following morning.

my feet were eaten alive! not sure if it was from the sand? the open air dining each meal?

the food--few options. you can only eat so much buffet! the formal restaurant was EXCEPTIONAL (the waitstaff was great), but the portions were small!

disorganized! one day i was literally yelled at and berrated by a member at the water desk for "not arriving 15 mins prior to departure of the glass bottom boat". funny, but the front desk WHO BOOKED it for me never told me to arrive early!

for a resort that advertises as being the best in the carribean, my family and i were certainly let down in many aspects! we've opted to skip out on future bookings with the sandals/beaches resorts. very disappointing!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lilmar14
Reviewed February 28, 2009

My family of 4 recently returned from Beaches, Negril. Our 2 boys (ages 5 and 8) had the time of their lives! We used the Kids Kamp daily as my husband and I went scuba diving daily. They were separated by ages and did some phenomenal activites! The 8-12 year olds went on snorkelling excursions, made tye-dyed t-shirts, learned to be DJ's.... the 5 year old made crafts, went swimming, nature hikes, did stuff with the Sesame street gang.
We tried ALL the water activities: including scuba diving, snorkelling trips, catamaran rides, water-skiing, knee-boarding, banana boating, etc. It was great that it was all included. If you're not planning on being active, you'd best spend your money on a cheaper trip.
The rooms are fair- small, clean and close to the beach for little legs and frequent trips! We only slept in them and showered before dinner, otherwise we were busy all day!
The X-Box 360 Game garage was also a big hit. As was watching movies on the beach at night.
The staff are great and it was truly a FAMILY resort- we'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank scubamammaMilton
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Wow, just got home from the best ever vacation. For the first time my husband and I went to Jamaica and the first time to a Beaches/Sandals resort. Beaches Negril is the best. Feb 4-11, 2009

From the moment we landed in Montego Bay, it was easy. The people of Jamaica are most welcoming. Customs and immigration was painless. Direct flight from Montreal on Air Canada was 5 hours of smooth and easy. Baggage from Air Canada ready right away to be picked up. Once we quickly passed through immigration we were directed to the Sandals/Beaches lounge. Refreshments on tap were plentiful and the lounge very comfortable. We only waited a few minutes for our air conditioned bus to arrive. The driver was excellent as we could see and hear how proud he was of his country. We had a real guided tour as we drove to Negril. It took about an hour and 20 minutes, with a stop mid way for bathroom and drink break.

Upon arriving at Beaches Negril, were escorted into the great room, only for a few moments when we were invited to go to the executive offices for check in. They had taken the liberty to upgrade us to a grand deluxe honeymoon beachfront room. After a drink, we were escorted to the room and it was beautiful. The king size bed comfortable. The room spacious and cool. The view from our 3rd floor balcony was wonderful. It was very quiet and we slept very well. We had everything we needed or could want. The room bar service was excellent. Our refrigerator was filled with whatever we desired on a daily basis.The choice of TV channels was amazing. Although I did not watch much, my husband was happy to be able to watch Canadian news and Hockey night in Canada. Our maid did an excellent job every day. We left our room by 10am and were back by 430 pm and the room was always done. They also had turn down service, but we found it not necessary for us. The room had plentiful towels and toiletries. There were bathrobes and umbrellas. We used the in room safe.

The courtyard we looked out on was immaculate. The gardeners worked hard and until dark. It was nice to have music piped into the walkways. We observed many beautiful weddings and receptions take place and the wedding teams, organizers and photographers always seemed excited and enthusiastic for each and every wedding as if it was the most important one.

The layout of Beaches Negril was wonderful. Just the right size resort. Not too big and compound like. It was beautiful and flowing with ambiance and flavour. We were planning on using the fitness center, but got lazy and never did. I was glad they had one to use though. The spa looked beautiful and it would be a real treat if you have extra "play money."

We ate at the Seville restaurant - Excellent. We ate at Kimono's - Excellent. We ate at the Beach Grill once which was nice to have such a quick stop for yummy food. They had an ice cream area and a pizza area. Casual, help yourself.

We LOVED The Mill Buffet. We had excellent service with waitress Marjorie Ann. We loved the exceptional choices of food and had to eat at the buffet every day for breakfast and 5 nights for dinner. I had the opportunity to speak to the chef and told him how fantastic everything was. We never ate lunch except for one time at the beach grill. (If we had been exercising at the fitness center we could have eaten 3 meals a day!!) There were always enough lounge chairs at the beach and around the pool. There were always enough towels and it was nice to not be limited to how many we could have. The pool was always refreshing, clean and well maintained.

The beach was soft and spotless. No rocks, no seaweed, no jellyfish. The slope into the water is gentle and smooth. You can walk into the swimming area without any fear of it being over your head. The deepest might be to your chest. so for non swimmers or weak swimmers you can always touch the bottom. There were always enough chairs in the shade and it was nice to hear music and laughter in the background. We felt totally safe on the beach with security guards keeping an eye on any vendors to make sure you are not hassled. It was never an issue.

I was a little hesitant before going to Beaches Negril, a family friendly resort, as we were two adults ( early 50's) traveling alone together. At some kid friendly resorts, the children run wild and their parents do not look after them, leaving the adults constantly being disturbed. This was not the case at Beaches Negril. My husband and I always could find a place where we could have quiet and romance. The people traveling with families, looked after their own kids. The resort had many programs for children and the kids always seemed to be busy and it was never an issue, having someone else's kids bother us. Proving that it is not always necessary to go to an adult only resort to have adult only time.

What a wonderful family paradise vacation resort Beaches Negril is. It is the perfect place for weddings. It is the perfect place for a family vacation. From very young to grandparents, there is something for everyone. All of the employees wanted us to feel at home and all seemed to be very happy and to enjoy their work.

We snorkelled only once as it was pretty windy the week we were there. The day we went, our captain actually jumped into the water to rescue an elderly woman who had drifted down the beach and she had no strength to help herself. Our snorkel boat was still anchored to our beach and we were preparing to head out, when he jumped in and carried her back to the beach where her family met her and escorted her. She was not even staying at our resort. Our captain came back on board our snorkelling boat and off we went. He saved a life that day and only a few people would witness his actions. You should be so proud of the people working for Beaches Negril.

It was nice to have such great entertainment for the kids every night and movies on the beach. We were usually back in our rooms after a late dinner and we did not miss not having much adult entertainment.

We took the liberty of walking the beach for 2 and 1/2 hours. What a wonderful treat it is to have such a wonderful beach to walk. Beaches Negril is perfectly located. The beach wider than anywhere else. It was nice to have shopping right on the beach. We walked down past Margaritaville and had many options to chose from for convenient shopping.etc. We walked the other direction past all the other resorts to the Sandals Negril. We could see first hand, that we had definitely chosen the best resort. The other places were quieter and had smaller beaches. The Couples Swept Away Resort, right next to Beaches Negril, looked boring. The white plastic beach chairs with white vinyl mattresses looked hot, sticky and uncomfortable to sit on. All the people were sitting cramped together, no conversation, no music, and it just did not have the wonderful ambiance and layout and energy that Beaches Negril has.

We definitely would not recommend any other resort in Negril other than Beaches Negril.

My husband is not into tours or excursions. We never felt pressured by anyone. We were greeted by the tour desk and informed of any special, but never were bothered by someone trying to sell us something.

The bathrooms were always spotless, even the beach bathroom. No water or sand on the floor, never saw any garbage, tissues or paper on the floor. Just immaculate all the time. Impressive with people coming and going and kids around to keep bathrooms that spotless!!!

Lots of options for water sports and we enjoyed floating on the water trampolines. The ocean was warm and the weather perfect. Hot sun, not much humidity and not a drop of rain. The kids water park area and lazy river with sprinklers and water sprays, made you wish you were a kid again.

The roaming photographers were always enthusiastic and great at their job. Never trying to sell you something, just interested in capturing your special vacation moments. Many times I would see them on the lying on the ground to get up close pics. If you are interested in viewing your pics, just go to the photo shack and view. No pressure to buy anything.

The ambiance of the beach with romantic cabanas and shade palm tree umbrellas and well spaced lounge chairs, made the beach our favourite spot. We visited most bars and found the drinks yummy and plentiful. Always served with a smile.

I have been to Mexico and Cuba and Barbados and this by far is my most favourite vacation destination. I would recommend Beaches Negril to everyone I know.

My daughter is 28 and she received a new pancreas and kidney last April 2008. She is doing very well and because of her transplant surgery she has a wonderful future ahead of her. She is looking forward to getting married and to starting a family of her own. I told her about the wonderful weddings I witnessed at Beaches Negril and I hope that we can afford to make that happen.

The airport is beautiful and offers many shops and restaurants for last minute shopping and eating while you await your departure back home.

You should be very proud of your resort Beaches Negril and of all your employees. Thank you for making our vacation the best ever.

Sincerely, Donna and David Richardson Hawkesbury Ontario

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Blondie028
Reviewed February 25, 2009

The menu selection has become cheaper over the last few years...

The resort looks old and needs some repair...

The service has gone down hill from a couple of years ago..

The fine Dining is no longer fine Dining, you can go in there with shorts and non dress shoes; when asked, the server said that the manager had to drop the standard

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveller1992
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
The Cliff Hotel
#3 of 80 in Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!