“Hurricane worries handled with care”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Whitesboro, NY
Reviewed September 10, 2004

We anxiously left Beaches Negril two days early due to the impending wrath of hurricane Ivan. The Beaches staff were unbelievably cooperative, calm, and efficient as many of us made plans to leave early. And, despite it not being part of their hurricane guarantee, we have been given the opportunity to return and stay free of charge for any unused nights. Those who opted to stay (or just couldn't leave), were calmly instructed on the resorts plans and procedures for securing the safety of everyone. The resort manager (who obviously understood that everyone was looking to him for answers and strength) treated everyone's questions with patience and professionalism. I, for one, wouldn't have been handle a stream of seemingly irrational questions quite so eloquently. Our prayers go out to everyone one who weathered the storm.

The stay itself was quite nice. My children had to be pulled away from the "kids kamp", the Seville formal restaurant was delicious, and the watersports were more than enough to keep us busy. Our positive experiences with the staff are too numerous to elaborate on in this forum.

Very few downsides like the 1.5 hour ride (each way) from Montego Bay, the evening entertainment was so-so, and I could have used a better cup of coffee, but the positives sure out weigh the negatives.

Reviewed September 10, 2004

In August, we made our second trip to Beaches Negril. We were also there in 2001. This was the first time we've ever gone back to vacation in a place we've been before, because our son had such a fantastic time! When children are having a good time, parents can, too.

We have stayed at many different all-inclusive places in the Caribbean, including Club Meds, SuperClubs, and Allegro resorts over the years. (We've also stayed at Beaches in Turks & Caicos; while it's newer, it was too impersonal for our taste.) Each resort chain has plusses and minuses, as do the individual locations within each chain. Beaches resorts are nice if you like ocean sports, because most are included. As scuba divers, it would really increase the cost of our trips if we had to pay for each boat ride individually. (Beaches isn't a place to go if you want a real dive resort, but for a family vacation that can give parents a chance to dive, it's fine.) They also provide opportunities for waterskiing, kneeboarding (our son's favorite activity), banana boat rides, snorkel trips, etc.

Clearly, Beaches Negril isn't a 5-star place. On one hand, there are lots of "little things" that are not as well maintained as they could be... (The water trampoline was missing some springs, the billiard table pockets had holes, the scuba equipment showed lots of wear and tear, etc.) but they have tried to make improvements, as was evidenced by the addition of a wonderful waterpark with "lazy river tubing" that recently opened. (Although some people may be upset at "safety requirements" for using the slides, we can appreciate where caution must come first.)

Jamaican staff, as a group, are among the most warmest people we've dealt with. Granted, some were friendlier and more helpful than others, but in general, when we experienced a problem, the managers seemed sincere in their attempts to resolve the problems. (As in most Caribbean places, things move "more slowly," and except for departure times, it's pointless to wear a watch.) Thankfully, the restaurants do seem to follow the advertised meal schedules, and some spot is almost always open to grab a snack or beverage.
There is a decent variety of food available at the buffet-style main Mill restaurant. While there were some opportunities for "carving stations" and "special preps" in the Mill restaurant, lines for those were often lengthy. Children are happy to have "finger friendly" choices like fries and pizza available, however. The small menus at the other restaurants were sometimes even more limited, because they were out of certain choices (and we even chose early seating reservations.)

Anyway, just as a basis of comparison, the first time we were at Beaches Negril in 2001, our son was 10 1/2, and he enjoyed some of their organized Kids Klub activities, as well as spending time with us on the beach. Now, as a teen, he didn't want to do any of the pre-arranged activities. (The adult entertainment staff wasn't well organized, anyay.) After meeting some other teens in the "billiard room hangout," however, he had another great vacation. The boys and girls made plans to meet most days and evening at various points at the pizza bar, waterpark, disco, on the beach, etc. As one set of "friends" would leave to return home, they always seemed to welcome others to their groups. (My son did note that U.K. teens seem to consume far more alcohol than U.S. teens, but he did not feel pressured to go along. The drinking age is supposed to be 18, but obviously some of the older kids would get drinks for younger ones.) We know Beaches has an individual on staff to prevent that, and we even spoke to him about it, but kids are naturally inclined to "test" the rules... Anyone who is a parent of a teen knows you can't follow them around 24/7, so you hope you've set a good example and that they use good judgement. We always felt "comfortable" in terms of our own safety, because Beaches Negril does have security guards at each end of their beach property.

I think the what sums up our experience at Beaches Negril the best is that our son asked "when can we go back again?" It's not perfect, but for families, whether with younger children or teens, it's a wonderful place.

• Stayed: August 2004
8  Thank sellbuy1234567
Reviewed September 7, 2004

We arrived 17 Aug for 10 days.

Disappointing holiday - not as brochure and website advertise. Attitude of water sports staff poorest we have found anywhere - they were out to give you a hard time and had no patience with children. They were rude and made us feel uncomfortable - the watersports manager could not seem to control the team.

Room stank badly of damp - outer bedcover and curtains stained and smelt - not comfortable.

Fitness teacher was off sick for 5 days and no replacement found. Eventually offered minibus to Sandals but at awkward times and we did not want to leave our resort - a substitute should be available for a resort claiming to be such a high standard.

Son fell badly from having shower in bath into bathroom floor due to no bath mat. When we asked Duty Manager for one he said he would organise it but late that night - no bath mat.

Food good in main dining room but brochure over sells other restaurants which we did not find inviting at all. We had every meal for 10 days in The Mill restaurant. Some staff in the main dining room were very friendly but many had a very intimidating attitude towards the clients. We met many British families who were very disappointed with Beaches Negril and would not be returning or choosing any others.

We also met Americans who had complained to the General Manager about different aspects of their holiday.

From England it is a very expensive holiday and you expect good value and the brochure promotes high expectations but we were disappointed.

2  Thank JeniferShanks
Reviewed September 5, 2004

I enjoyed myself at the beaches resort. i went last january with my friend and her family, when she told me she wanted me to go i was scared because ive neve been to jamacia and im the pickeyest eater in the entire world. so we got there and this is my first time in any place where the water is clear blue. the first day we got there the water was crystal clear but we were so tired from flying that we didnt really go in. becareful on the buses on yr way to the hotel they drive like maniacks, me and my friend thought we were going to crash into a cow, (they have tones of cows wandering around like they are deer). so anyways the next day we got up and we drank some mixed drinks to test them out (sex on the beach was awsome). the food wasnt bad im a pickey eater so i couldnt tell you about the hambuegers or anything because i dont eat them, the pizza was good the grilled cheese was good the french fries were good. i didnt really like the chicken, but thats because i like my chicken a certain way. the bar by the pool did have a funny smell, the beach was beautiful to me as long as i wasnt in ny in the snow i didnt care. i wont lie people did walk up and down the beach trying to sell u stupid things but u can pay no attention to them. the lobby bar was good at night time because they would have shows at night. Me and my friend had the best dessert in one of the resturants oh my god i dont even know what it was but it was awsome. we had a blacolny that faced the street but we had trees blocking our way, but we didnt really mind cuz just sitting out there listinging to everything was just enjoyable. i wouldnt tell you its a 5 start place and its not a horrible place if you complaine alot about stupid things that dont go, but to me it was my first real trip anywhere besides disney, so i made the best of it and enjoyed my self alot, would i go there again i would because i know whats its like, i would like to go to other places though and see how they may be hey maybe ill like it better. one more thing the disco there was not too fun because there was never anyone there but the dj the bar tender and me and my friend and her cousines make sure though u treat DJ NEIL good he is the best dj and MR B. and Mr J. the bartenders STAY AWAY FROM MR. WEED, he was stalking my friend and wouldnt stop following us. But i would stay there again, so i hope i helped

2  Thank AshleyLoren
Leicester, England
Reviewed August 27, 2004

We had the joy of getting married at Beaches Negril on 06 Nov 2003.
firstly a few points if you are planning a wedding there, take your own artifical flowers, as the colours of the real flowers available may not match your wedding outfits, we were offered blue flowers, not a good match if your bridesmaids are dressed in gold.
Choose the time carefully to get married, we were offered 11,3 and 6.
Although we knew the day we were getting we didnt know the time until we got there. It does get very hot, but also gets dark quick, we got married at 3 and luckly were the only wedding that day so paid extra and the photographer took some photographs of the sunset with the wedding party.
We met the wedding planner on the monday and was getting married on the thursday. Having found the beautiful wedding gazebo in which to get married we were told that it was being knocked down so had wedding on the beach instead. Ours was the only wedding on the thursday but on the sat there was 22 weddings so a bit of a converabelt. The staff could not have been anymore helpful especially Kevon and Nardia. A fantastic place.

winter park, florida
Reviewed August 24, 2004

We just got back from spending 9 days in Jamaica. 2 days in Montego Bay at the Ritz and 7 and Beaches Negril. First thing first I am a regular traveler and stay at above average resorts, so I know what a 5 star resort is and beaches is not one of them. When we stayed at the Ritz it was wonderful! The service was the best, the food was good and it was all inclusive like beaches! And it was less exspensive which was unreal.
When we got to beaches after leaving Montego Bay we took a 1.5 hr taxi ride which was nice. We saw parts of Jamaica we would normaly not see which was interesting. We arrived at beaches around 12 noon. We went to the foyer ( lobby) and to my surprise there was no a/c. I thought no biggie we will be in our room in a few and then no worries. We waited for our room to be ready for over 3 hrs! The only places that had a/c to wait in was the gift shop and photo shop ( how convient). The Mill was the only place to eat at the time so we ate there while our room was being ready and low and behold no a/c and no breeze. When our room was finally ready we went to go in and the key was not working so they had to move us. At this time I started to blow a gasket. After we setteled in our room we went down to the beach which was nice. Crystal clear water nice breeze so it was nice, the pools where okay a lot smaller then the pictures. The water park was up and running which was fun, the snorkeling tour and skiing were a good time. The beach activities in general where good. Taking a walk down the beach was nice because of the scenery. The food was mediocre at best in all the restaurants and the service was good if you got a good waiter if not it was very poor. The a/c in our room was noisy and dripped water all night which kept me and my wife up all night. The water power in the shower was like a drip. I have mentioned the a/c alot because the heat in jamaica is extremly hot with not much of a breeze in the negril area. I am from FLorida so I know what hot is and can handle it pretty well but not having any refuge from the heat besides the water gets old fast. I have stayed at the Beaches Turks and Caicos and this is night and day. Turks was fantastic, Beaches negril is not worth the money! If I would have known what beaches negril was like I would have stayed at the Ritz Carlton the whole time. It was less exspensive and a whole lot better. There are a lot of changes that need to be made here but no one seems to care. Oh and we went with my parents and my mom is a travel agent and she was not seeeing any extra effort to try and make our stay any better due to the fact she sells trips to all the beaches resorts. All in all it was a nice time with one to many inconviences. So when booking a trip here make sure that you know what your getting in to.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed August 13, 2004

I have too many horror stories to mention and besides, I would rather block out the experience than recall it. My husband and I travel ALL THE TIME and this place is NOT ultra. Well, maybe an ultra rip-off. All I can say is that we experienced everything the other negative reviewers mentioned and then some. Short story: resort is a total dump, beach is ok, half the staff are jerks, food was so-so, 12 year old son enjoyed the disco. Best advise to resort: allow tipping so we are not hated and invest in some air conditioned restaurants people, Lord. Also went to Turks & Caicos two years ago and yes the property blows this dump out of the water but the people at Turks are such as___, well, GOODBYE BEACHES!!! We're headed back to the less expensive, air conditioned Ritz Carlton in Mo-Bay, or Cayman Island, or heck, even Cancun's worst cheep-o resort rivals Beaches Negril. To the ones who actually liked this place, you guys definately need to get out more.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!