“As good as it gets!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“As good as it gets!”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We booked our trip way in advance and every few weeks, my wife and I would read the reviews. As a result, we were a little nervous going in. Heres what you need to know. The trip down is long (coming from Toronto) and the bus ride is long with not much scenery. Although the accommodations are not five star, we found the room (honeymoon suite in Savannah) to be large, cool, and clean.
Knowing this, you should have one of the best family trips of your life. We have three young children (5,3 and 10 months). The staff are the friendliest people I have ever met. My kids have never received so much attention (grandparents included). The beach/ocean is also the nicest I have ever seen (I have been to Hawaii & Turks).

My wife and I were concerned about the food as two of our children have severe nut allergies. Wow, were we impressed! All of their meals were prepared separately as the chefs worked together and went out of their way on a daily basis to make sure our children had a wide variety of safe, delicious food.

I would highly recommend the private cabana on the beach. This was the highlight of out trip. It came with a cooler filled with refreshments and amazing staff to cater to all of your needs.

Although the kids camps looked great, we only put them in for one day as we had so much fun playing with them on the beach/ocean/water park etc.. They provide a baby sitting service (10 buck an hour) that we used occasionally for our baby on the beach during the day.

Great Great Trip!!!!

• Stayed December 2008
4 Thank neildtoronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,196)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hudson Valley, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My husband, my 1 year old daughter and myself stayed at Beaches Negril December 3-10,2008. I have been to Beaches Boscobel before. I am a travel agent so I am very familiar with Beaches and Sandals. I was actually a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews on this website. I must say, where did the negative reviewers stay? This is a great family resort!!! I will say right off the bat if you are looking for a brand new, luxury resort then this is not the place for you. Beaches does say this is luxury, but it is not quite luxury. A little more upgrading and they will almost be there.

The grounds are always being cleaned and groomed. The public areas were well kept. We had a honeymoon suite concierge. It was spacious and had just been renovated. It was very nice. The bathroom was just o.k. But, I did not sleep in the bathroom. The room was spotless. Concierge service was great to have. A private check in lounge, a mini bar stocked daily to your liking and nightly turn down service.

The staff made our trip! Everyone was polite and professional. You could tell everyone loved their jobs. They loved my daughter and always remembered her name. This was some of the best service I have ever had in the Caribbean. Even compared to some 5 star resorts, it was better as far as the service.

The food was always excellent and kept getting better. I read reviews where people said there was no variety. What Jamaican herb were they smoking? The buffet was plentiful and good. I believe the people that are complaining are the people that should not have chosen an all inclusive in the first place. If you are a picky eater and do not like to try new foods, then do not stay at an all inclusive. My husband and I LOVED the food and love all inclusive resorts. But we are not picky eaters. People, you are in a different country. Try the local food- it's good. And if you do not like the flavor of the food do not complain. And if you like the food, give a compliment. Our last night we complimented the staff and the food. They remarked how people were complaining. We made it a point to find the manager and tell him how pleased we were. It was much appreciated.

We are reluctant to use the daycare, but we were so glad we did. My daughter loved it. The staff were kind and caring. There is a huge room with carpet so the kids can crawl and run. The guest rooms have tile floors, so the carpet was great. Sesame Street was the best. There are always several planned chances to see them each day and there are shows at night. Make sure to check the daily activity sheet and bring your camera. There are plenty of chances to take photos. There are activities for older kids and we always saw the tweens doing crafts and scavenger hunts.

The beach is beautiful. White powder sand and blue Caribbean water. It is very shallow which is great for little ones. The pools are nice. The kids pool needs a little tlc. The two water slides are fun, for kids and adults. They do need a few small slides for little kids. And they really need a zero entry pool for kids. There is a small wading pool near the daycare for toddlers. The lazy river is fun too. We did not use the main pool much. Only the hot tub when the little one was in the daycare.

We had a crib in the room, yes it was a real crib with Sesame Street bedding. There are strollers for rent, we brought our own. You will need one if you have little ones. They have high chairs with trays. We also brought a float with a sun shade. So glad we did! They do have beach toys and small floats for sale in the gift shop, but you will pay gift shop prices.

We only got a few bug bites. Some people we literally covered in bites. Bring bug spray, although it is the gift shop too.

We always felt very safe. If you walked the beach, you had to sign in and out with Beaches security guards. I have never not felt safe in the 5 times I have been to Jamaica.

I know some people complain that the resort was too much money for what they got. But when you really breakdown everything that is included, it is not that bad. All food, all drinks and all of the water sports(diving, snorkeling boat trips, banana boat rides, water skiing). Other all inclusive resorts do not include those water sports. The Camp Sesame, the excellent, yes excellent food, the excellent staff and transfers are all included. You get what you pay for.

A few tips for parents with little ones. Bring hats, a stroller, a few sippy cups( they get funky after a few days without a dishwasher), pool float with sun shade, at least two swim suits. I brought a few familiar snacks. I was worried about the milk at the resort, but it was fine. .

We would love to return to this resort and to Jamaica. We had a
fabulous time.

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — tile floor, not great for little ones
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank mcalmob
Norwich
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We stayed at Beaches Negril as a replacement for a holiday in Beaches Sandy Bay in 2007 which was affected by Hurricane Dean.
The room we were initially allocated was a little noisy as it was near the road, however we were moved after a couple of days and the second room was much quieter.
Both rooms were clean and spacious enough for three. The soft drinks, tea and coffee were replenished daily in the room.
The food was fantastic. The Seville (the lobster is particularly good) and Tex Mex were both really good. Didn't get to Kimono's but heard this was great too. The main restaurant catered for everybody and every taste From cereal, fruit or the full works for breakfast, lunch we had a choice from four or five main dishes, and dinner was also the same. That's without the snack bar serving burgers, pizza and jerk chicken. All were delicious. Our son is at best a fussy eater, and even he had more than enough to choose from.
The staff were really helpful, even uploading some of our music onto the sound system one day and couldn't do enough for us, all we had to do was ask.
We normally prefer smaller hotels, and Beaches Negril can seem a little impersonal due to it's size, although the staff all do their best to make up for this.
There is plenty to do, and more than enough to keep the younger members of the family amused all day. There is Sesame Street for the younger ones and a X-Box room filled to capacity with machines for the older ones. Numerous pools (two with swim-up bars), the water slide, and lazy river ( which we laughed all the way round), mini golf, tennis etc, etc,.
Overall this was a fantastic holiday. We have been to the Caribbean half a dozen times and this hotel is one of the best we have stayed at. If you go, get the free shuttle to Beaches Sandy Bay to see a more relaxed version of a Negril holiday it's only a five minute ride and say hello to Bobby (probably the best barman in the Caribbean).
The beach was white coral and perfect, and the sunsets are also fantastic .
Rick's Cafe is twenty minute ride away to watch the cliff divers and is definitely recommended.

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank Andi-Tony
london, uk
Reviewed December 25, 2008

I had expected a lot more for the price, some areas of this resort are great, others really need improving, like the gym and the bathrooms, i had paid for a beach front room and expected a fantastic bathroom, it was 2* at best.....However, when i weigh up the pro's and cons of this vacation, i ended up loving it and not wanting to leave! so did my son who had a great time, although there was not many children in the kidsclub so didnt spend much time there, in the evening the themes they have for the small kids is great, and the adult entertainment was good too. majority of the staff were great and friendly, without being pushy, and when i expressed a complaint to the head of guest services, danielle, she sorted things out straight away with no problems, so credit to her for that.

The beach was lovely they kept it nice and clean, the sea clear blue, the weather wasnt the best, but i still had a great time, thought 'when!' i return will visit later in december or January.

All in all I would recommend this holiday, my son had such a lovely time and although very much over priced, i would go back...maybe i'll try another beaches resort.

• Liked — the views of the beach and sea from the bed 617
  • Disliked — yuk the bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008
3 Thank MumPlusOne
Liberty, Mo
Reviewed December 19, 2008

I went there with my family to get married. The resort was beautiful and the staff was excellent. After my wedding, we transfered to Sandals Negril. Overall, I thought Beaches was a much better choice. I probably wouldn't re-visit Sandals, Negril again. Not because it's terrible, but because their beach is too small, there arent' enough pools and the layout of their resort is a bit inconvenient. Anyway, Beaches, Negril rocked and I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — beautiful resort and excellent staff
  • Disliked — the drivers to and from the airport
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Ashli82
Maine
Reviewed December 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Beaches Negril for 5 days in November 2008. The purpose of our trip was for our belated honeymoon and to attend a wedding being held at the nearby Sandals. We had some mixed feelings about our stay--honestly, though, many of the negatives were likely due to the travel agent we used.

Weaknesses: we were there for our honeymoon and were placed in a room with two double beds. Our itinerary indicated that we would be in a deluxe seaside room. I'm sure we could have pushed the resort on this, but let it go. Our room was clean, but the bathroom windows are just screens with a blind, so you can hear everything going on outside (and people walking by can hear what's going on in your bathroom!) The breakfast food gets a little boring after a couple of days. The buffet contains the same food every day for the most part. There is an "orientation" that is optional for you to go to. Make sure you GO! We did not and wished that we did. There wasn't much in our room to indicate what the services of the hotel were. I think you get that in the orientation--and we wish the front desk staff told us to attend. If you are told like we were that you can go to the other resorts (Sandals and Beaches Sandy Bay), be aware that it's NOT a free shuttle that goes between the resorts. It's a cab. The first time we went to visit our friends at Sandals, we found out that we needed to pay for the ride once we already got there (and we had $2 on us for a tip--that's it.) Awkward. Expect to get offered non-resort services while you are on the beach (e.g., braids, jetski rentals, artwork and crafts, and ganja). That got a little old after a while, but the vendors are mostly friendly and accept no as an answer. There is so much to do there, make sure you give yourself plenty of time. With the wedding events we had to attend, 5 days was not nearly enough. We were unable to do any of the waterfront activities due to wind.

Strengths: the beach is great! The water was warm and the sand was so soft. It's a very clean beach. The staff is very friendly. The drinks are plentiful. There are tons of events and activities for kids and teens. The pools, hot tubs, waterslides, and lazy river are fun and clean. We (two adults) had a blast floating down the lazy river! It was nice to have the option of going to one of the other resorts for dinner.

• Liked — The beach!
  • Disliked — We didn't really fit the intended demographic...just wasn't a great fit.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank MaineWatersEdge
Perryville, Maryland
Reviewed December 13, 2008

The short version of this review: This resort is awesome; it is not to be missed; it is fabulous for families and/or couples and everyone should get a chance to enjoy Beaches Negril. Your every wish/request is granted by the management and staff; they are the warmest and friendliest people we have encountered at any resort. Every day and every evening is an event not to be missed. Beaches Negril gives and gives and gives to their clients and they enjoy every minute of the giving.
Details: From the minute we arrived at the resort we were treated like royalty and as if we were the only guests on the resort. The second day we were out in the resort we were greeted by name. From the General Manager to every member of the staff on the resort everyone was happy to see us and had a smile and a happy greeting for us no matter where we were or what we were doing. This was so pleasant and we thoroughly enjoyed the attention and service provided by one and all. On several occasions we say the General Manager walking around the resort and into the restaurants and spa and around the pools and activities checking to be sure everyone was having a great time. On several occasions we were asked by members of the staff if we were having a good time and we were told to please let them know if we had any issues or concerns. We did not have any issues or concerns during our week’s stay. This resort is all about kids and what will keep them happy. Sesame Street characters are on hand for photo shoots, parades, and evening shows as well as visits to the great Kids Camp and more. The camp has activities for four age groups (age 2-3 yrs, 4-5 yrs, 6-7 yrs and 8-12 yrs old). Kids can attend camp beginning at 9 am and stay until 6 pm, 8 pm or 9 pm depending on their age group. They learn, do crafts and swim and play just to name a few of the activities. Kids love camp so much they don’t want to leave at the end of the day. You get the feeling the resort is for the kids and they can bring their parents along with them. The resort has separate pools and Jacuzzis for adults and families. Both pools have a swim-up bar and special non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. The family pool area also has a water park with two giant slides, water spouts the kids can play and dance in and a lazy river that you can float in whether you are a kid or an adult. The food at the resort is excellent and never-ending. The buffet is open for three meals a day. The grill is open all day for burgers and sandwiches and 5 kinds of pizza and pasta are also available all day long. In addition there is a Jamaican Cuisine Restaurant with white-glove service as well as an oriental restaurant and tex-mex cuisine restaurant. Mediterranean fare is available from 6 pm – 10 pm; late night snacks are available at the grill from 10:30 pm – 3 am, and early morning breakfast is available from 3 – 7 am. If you are hungry at this resort it is your own fault! Every restaurant we visited was better than the last; we had no complaints about any of the food or the restaurants. As important as the food was the excellent service in the restaurants. Everyone was very friendly, happy to have us eat in their restaurant and they made a point of getting to know you and personalizing the service. We were very impressed. The resort is located on the 7-Mile White Sand Beach of Negril and it is truly a beautiful beach with some of the best sunsets you will see anywhere. The sand is so powdery and soft you really enjoy walking in it. Activities abound and all non-motorized sports are included in your all-inclusive package. There is something for everyone to do; no matter what your age. I had two spa treatments (a pedicure and a West Indian Massage) and was very pleased with both; again, the service was extraordinary. The rooms and furniture and furnishings are very beautiful and tasteful. Everything is clean, fresh and welcoming and you want to stay in the room until you remember all that is outside for you to enjoy. As I said earlier the people at the resort are lovely and they are genuine in their greetings and the hospitality they offer. If you ask for directions to an area of the resort the person you asked will take you to your destination instead of pointing or giving you directions to find it on your own. This was very helpful and very nice. There is no end to the services and giving provided by the manager and his staff. You are invited to the Manager’s Cocktail Party once a week; a lovely luncheon on the beach (with gifts )if you are a returning guest; and there are special parties/events in the evening for families, teenagers and adults. I know I have probably left out some other aspects of the resort but I hope this review will help you decide to visit Beaches Negril. You really owe it to yourself and your family to make the trip and you definitely will not be disappointed. It is fabulous!!

• Liked — The Management and Staff Hospitality and Friendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dotaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,514 reviews

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!