“Family Bliss!!!!”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spent 10 days in Beaches Negril in Mid April. All in all we had a fantastic time. We have 2 daughters (7 and 10) and Beaches certainly catered for all our needs.

Rooms: We loved it!! We were in a beach front suite. Had a very comfortable king sized bed and girls slept on pull outs from under the 2 sofas which they were delighted with. The room was really lovely. Spacious for 4 with a nice double sink and closet area and separate toilet / bath/shower room. We were in the 800 block on the ground floor. View of gardens and sea in front if them. The air conditioning worked a treat. There was always plenty of hot water and decent shower power and ample fresh heavy duty towels daily. The fridge was restocked on a daily basis and there was an Xbox (that was only turned on once as we were too busy!). The room was exceptionally clean. Eunice looked after us during the day and Patricia came in the evening to do a turn down, replace towels and general tidy. They were both wonderful. Extremely pleasant and accommodating about returning later when we were in the rooms. They did a really good job and are very deserving of our compliments.

While we were close enough to the couples resort to hear their music which went on until about 11 it did not bother us. It certainly didn't stop us from falling asleep and was a distraction from the incredibly loud crickets and other nocturnal animals that burst into song as soon as the sun went down. Seriously this noise has to be heard to be believed! Again it didn't stop us sleeping and we became almost immune after a day or two but what a surprise! The kids made recordings of it to take into school on their return to Ireland where nights in the country side are pretty silent.

Beach: gorgeous sand and beautiful warm turquoise water. Generally I hate getting into the sea. I hate the cold and I hate tip toeing across stones, shells etc. In Beaches I was in the sea every day. Loved the feel of the soft sand under my feet and the water was beautiful to bob about it. Could walk out a good 30 meters or so and still be able to stand comfortably. The water sports were excellent. No shortage of equipment. Kids had a ball. Kayaking and paddle boarding were great to do in the morning when the sea was generally flat as a pancake. Sailing the cats was best later in the day when the wind picked up. Knee boarding and water skiing were available in the mornings. We did knee boarding daily which was loads of fun. Afternoons had banana boad and wild cat (weather permitting- some times it rained in the afternoons despite gloriously sunny mornings, and water sports were suspended).

Be aware of age limits. You are asked the age of your children when signing up for the various pieces of equipment and the motor sports by Norman who is very efficient and one of my favourite staff members. You have to be 13 to ski, 8 to knee-board and 6 to banana boat. So keep that in mind to avoid disappointed kids. We never waited more than a few minutes for kayaks and paddle boards but be prepared to wait for water skiing / knee boarding depending on whether there are beginner skiers in front of you in the line. The trick is to beat the line by being there at 9am.

As others have mentioned there are people selling on the beach. In our experience they never once came near the deck chairs (though they would call to you to try and attract your attention) nor did they bother you when you were in the water. Once in no man's land between the chairs and the water you were likely to be invited to buy bracelets, shells, fruit, parasailing rides, braiding of the girls hair etc. We never had money with us in the beach ( as there really was no need) we always said no thank you and that was that. For me I would prefer if it didn't happen at all but it was a minor inconvenience.

Snorkelling and glass bottom boat: we snorkelled twice and did the glass bottom trip once. I really enjoyed the snorkelling as did my 10 year old. Lots to see including some very playful black and yellow striped fish who followed us about. My 7 year old was fearful of seeing a shark (which we didn't) so was happy to bob along next to me. My husband wears glasses. We assumed that they did not have prescription masks (we never asked) so the experience was a bit of a blur for him. The glass bottom boat trip was good. Saw lots of star fish and mor of the yellow and black guys.

Pools, slides and lazy river: all fantastic. The girls would have stayed in this area all day but we tended to leave it till after 11.30 in order to get the beach front activities completed before it started getting wavy. Also the beach is perfect for photos in the morning light. Slides were lots of fun and the lazy river which could b renamed the crazy river a big, big hit. Husband enjoyed the hot tub. There were always empty deck chairs in the lazy river area which doesn't open till 10. It's a bit noisey due to splash park area and you can get a little wet but you'll always find a seat. Be aware that the signs in this area speak the truth. Slippery when wet. So tell your kids to WALK! The girls loved the swim up bars in the pool and enjoyed hanging out with the bar tender sipping on their strawberry frozen drinks. The wonderful June also visits everyone in this general area to ensure they have a fresh drink. She was a star!! Remembered our favourite drinks and ensured we were never thirsty. Never have been treated so royally. Thank you June! The area in general was very clean so no complaints there. Like everyone else on trip advisor we struggled with beach towels. Even when we were down early (7.30am) the towel racks were empty. I think many of the towels go to people who have butlers. I was never clear when the towels were put out but I never saw the racks full. We didn't really go to the other pool (by the mill) but it looked beautiful.

Entertainment: beaches do a fine job of trying to cater for everyone in the family. My 7 year old really enjoyed the sesame street shows. She was a little old to do the breakfast or bed time story options but insisted we all had our seats in the big top for 7 o'clock big bird and co. show. These shows were very slick, well choreographed and perfect for the younger crew. The entertainment staff worked really hard to get everyone involved and were all great. Naoise and Shelly were wonderful with our girls and we all really enjoyed the boys doing their acrobatics. Can't remember all of their names but oshane, obrien, Omar, Kenton to name a few all did an outstanding job. My favourite shows of the week were the steel band (outstanding entertainment which would be hard to beat anywhere in the world) and the circus crew were also lots of fun. We were always in bed by 10 so I can't comment on the later activities but they seemed to be plentiful.

Food: we were generally very happy with the food. We had food from every restaurant in the resort. Had dinner once in Kimonos, twice in the Venician and once in Arizonas. The rest of the time we were in the Mill or at a beach party buffet in Stew Fish (when Mill was closed). I never had a bad meal. Kimonos was fun. Venician was lovely and the service second to none. The Mill had a huge variety of food, good salad options (that I didn't chose enough) and tried to mix up the menus most nights. Having dinner in Stew fish as the sun went down was very special. I'm so sorry I can't recall the names of the staff who really stood out in these restaurants- there were many. Vanessa was charming in Arizonas, all were fantastic in the Venician and there was a fabulous girl in Stew Fish. Breakfast we mostly had in the mill or in Stew Fish. Both were great. Loved the fresh fruit, omelettes. Pancakes and French toast a massive thumbs up in Stew Fish.

For Lunch I took our youngest to the pasta station in the Mill, whilst my husband waited with my daughter to get a Pizza at Dinos. They he and I met for Mexican in Arizonas where the nacho bar is perfect! All this took us a bit of time but we were in no hurry and it kept us out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.

On top of all this there was serve yourself whipped ice-cream cones (a childhood fantasy of mine) and cookies at the pool and the cafe de Paris where my husbanded got his daily caffeine fix. On one night they had a chocolate buffet- heaven for our kids.

The only down side - unless you have fabulous self-control or enjoy torturing yourself be prepared for your clothes to feel tighter on the return home.

Gym: my husband is a keen runner and used the Gym daily. He was very impressed with the facilities and the air conditioning.

Concierge: we had a concierge room and availed of the concierge on arrival to book the cabana, snorkelling and restaurants for the week. All was done very smoothly. Had no cause to avail of their services after that.

Cabana: we took a cabana for one day as it had so often been recommended on trip advisor. It was nice but I wasn't tempted to do it again. Andre looked after us for the day and did a very good job. However as I've said already we preferred to move about from the beach to the pool area and to meander about over lunch. The cabana felt a bit restrictive and we didn't actually spend that much time in it. I think having a cabana or not is a very personal choice and just wasn't for us.

Other amenities: only discovered the Xbox room later in the holiday and had a blast there. There was a great guy in there helping with instructions or controls that weren't working properly. So we did not experience or observe any problem with not being able to pay a game you wanted to. There was a fun basketball shooting game outside the Xbox room and a couple of pool tables and a tale tennis table. My youngest did tennis with Coleman on one morning and really enjoyed it despite the heat. Coleman kept her in the shade as much as possible and was charming with her. We had planned to go back but the waterspouts were just too appealing.

Kids clubs; the girls tried the kids clubs a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The only problem was that the general activities were so good that whilst we were there most families kept their kids with them so the kids clubs were often too short on other kids for my pair to be interested in staying. From what I saw though they were very well run.

We did meet some wonderful other families on the property so the girls were able to make friends that way.

Photographs: like everyone else we did the sunset photos. The night ours were being done they had 12 families and three photographers. Nicolette was wonderful but was under fierce time pressure as the sun waits for no man or photographer. I would recommend not leaving your sunset shoot till your last night (as we did) just in case things don't work out as planned. We got some lovely shots from Nicoletta and Revon went back the next morning to catch a jump shot I was particularly looking for.

So in general. This is a superb family resort. They seem to have thought of everything. Negative reviews on trip advisor worried me before I left but I found them entirely unfounded (though the towels and beach seller stories are true). The drive from the airport was 80 minutes either way. We had absolutely no problem with the beaches arranged mini-bus and I cant imagine why you would pay for a private cab as suggested by one reviewer. I cannot recommend beaches Negril highly enough. It is more expensive than you average beach break but this is not an average beach experience.

We travelled from London to Montego Bay with Virgin Atlantic. 9.5 hours out but 8 back. Had never flown virgin before and was very impressed.

Room Tip: We were very happy with 800 block. Very quiet during the day. Close to Mill and Beach but a few minu...
4  Thank Son D
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Thank you for your review of Beaches Negril. We're glad that you had an excellent stay with us. Our staff will be so happy to hear your kind mention. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Our first time in Jamaica and we had a great time. The staff were very friendly throughout. Particularly we want to mention Nadine who kept our room immaculately clean and well serviced, especially her creative towel art. Seymour at Breakfast was brilliant the friendliest chef of all and brilliant omelette maker as well as great sports fan! All the staff at the kids club looked after our kids really well and Natalia did the best braids ever for us! Thanks all.

• Stayed: April 2014

We're so happy that you enjoyed every minute of your wonderful vacation at Beaches Negril. Thank you so much for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

we came back for a 5 day trip without the kids! An Anniversary trip...
To our amazement a number of the staff remembered us from December, and we felt VERY welcomed!

A big thank you to both Tricshel Elliot and Troy Morgan from 'The Mill', and Winston Watkins from the BBQ pit - they even remembered some of our food likes/dislikes... their service was beyond excellent!

Both Kenton Burrell and Caffrrey Brown remembered us; and O'brian Mills (our new friend) on the entertainment crew were a blast! what this entertainment crew can do... is simply amazing! Singing, Dance, Acrobatics, and Kenton on the drums... WOW! They even taught me some moves...
We had the opportunity to tease and befriend Garrett Bailey, the entertainment manager!
a tip to you all.... he LOVES chocolate!

My man Shanna aka Mr. 5 Star kept us well looked after from both the pool bar, and the Big Top bar...

There were so many other people that remembered us, it was really amazing to think that they see hundreds of people a week, and could still pick us out - and continue to amaze us in the way they looked after us!

thank you so much!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the '800' rooms again, overlooking the chess board and the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review. It was a pleasure to host you and your family again. We're thrilled that you had such an amazing stay and we can't wait to welcome you back again!

Happy Travels!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Just returned from Beaches Negril. Traveling was 5 adults and 5 kids ages 4-15. Rooms were spacious and very nicely decorated. The entire resort was very clean and furnished to a T. The food was good. Beach was best ever. Something for every one to keep you busy all day and evening. The most important part were the people that work there. They were awesome. So friendly and treated everyone like they were the only person there. We loved Jamaica and will return to the Beaches.

Room Tip: Beachfront are great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

We're so glad that you had a wonderful vacation at Beaches Negril. We always want our guests to enjoy every minute of their vacation time spent with us. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon for another awesome stay with us!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

The resort was amazing with a wonderful staff. We can't say enough about the fantastic entertainment crew. My teen and tween started our vacation saying they did not want to do any of the planned activities, but because of the great personalities of the entertainment crew, they ended up participating in everything. A huge thank you to Shelly, Neisha, O'Shane, Kenton, and both Jermaines. The kids had a blast and can't stop talking about all the fun they had. We also booked a cabana on the beach for a couple of days. Something I would highly recommend. Andre was our butler at the cabana both days. He was very friendly and provided great service. It was by far our best vacation ever!

1  Thank J G

Thank you for your review of Beaches Negril. We're so thrilled to read that you enjoyed an amazing holiday with us. It was an honor to be a part of your special moment and we're glad we were able to make your stay so enjoyable.

We can't wait for your return!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Three generations of our family celebrating a Golden Wedding so it needed to be child friendly and it certainly was. Our grandchildren aged from 9 to 13 really enjoyed their time at the hotel and with all the facilities available to them were never bored.
I had the misfortune to break my ankle on the first day of the holiday but the support we received from the Hotel was first class. Particular thanks to Nicola in Personnel Dept who apart from accompanying us to the clinic in Montego Bay was always there to help solve any problem we had.
The staff is the best asset of the hotel and special mention for Seymour the Egg Man, Vanet our room girl, Nicola as above and Arica in the Mill Restaurant who all went the extra mile to ensure the guests were happy.

Room Tip: The double beds in the De Luxe rooms ( when you require 2 beds) were on the small side.
2  Thank John38-108
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was a bit worried about traveling to Jamaica with our four children, ages 3, 6, 7 and 17. I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough to do to keep everyone happy. I was wrong. We loved our vacation and are planning on returning next year! Every detail had been taken care of by the resort from landing to departure. The employees at the airport were welcoming and friendly and had us on the bus within 10 minutes of our arrival. The 1.5 hour drive to the resort was probably the only negative time of the trip. It's long and eye-opening. All of the concierges we worked with during our stay were wonderful. They were always willing to help answer questions and even delivered a meal to our room. We rode the glass bottom boat and had a blast with Rick and OShane. They were very informative and entertaining. We attended many of the Sesame Street performances and my kids all loved them. We spent the extra money and attended the character breakfast- it was wonderful. Caffrey was a complete joy as the clown and we spent 20 minutes talking to him after the breakfast. He talked to our kids all about Jamaica and answered their numerous questions. He, like everyone employed at the resort, was wonderful! Thank you Beaches Negril, we'll see you next year!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Jamie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
The Cliff Hotel
#3 of 80 in Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!