“Great for kids.” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Summit, New Jersey, United States
“Great for kids.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is not it. It is a great place to go with kids as there is a lot for them to do, but the resort, pools, water park and the beach are swarming with people. It is impossible to get a lounge chair by any pool or on the beach unless you get there at 6 am and put stuff on it. The most frustrating thing is to see how many "reserved" ones never get used during the day, while many people are looking for one. Around 2 pm there is always a time when beach towels are not available for about a half an hour to an hour, which is very frustrating as well. Otherwise the place is exactly what you would expect, the food and drinks are plentiful and tasty and the service is great. I would certainly not recommend this place to anyone without kids, go to Sandals instead or rent a private villa.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,177)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Traveled with my husband and 15 month old daughter to Beaches Negril February 16-20. We booked a Honeymoon Beachfront Grande Luxe Concierge Room and ended up in room 905 at the far end of the resort. Since we were all in the same room my husband and I went to sleep after my daughter around 8pm. At 9pm all of us were jarred awake by blaring music from the resort next door.

Just to be clear none of us are light sleepers. We've lived in NYC across the street from a hospital for years, so all of us have slept through sirens, loud music and screaming fights. The ridiculously loud wall-shaking rendition of “I Will Always Love You” that woke us was worse than anything I have dealt with in the city. Since none of us were sleeping anyway I immediately went to find a manager to request a room change first thing in the morning. The night manager met with me quickly, but admonished me that “everyone in the 900 block has to deal with the same problem”. How is the fact that other guests are dealing with the same problem supposed to make me feel better about my toddler awake and screaming at 10pm? If they know very loud music is a problem in these rooms why not warn people? Or avoid putting very young children there altogether? We were able to change rooms the next morning and had no problems after that, but over the next several days I spoke to many members of the staff who were surprised to hear we were put in the 900 block with a very young child because of the loud nightly music.

It is a great testament to the quality of the resort - in particular the incredibly kind and capable staff – that this terrible experience did not stop us from having a wonderful vacation. The pool and beach are lovely, the food was very good to excellent, the entertainment was wonderful and we enjoyed all o f the activities we participated in. Just a few highlights of our trip:

*Child Care – I was extremely comfortable leaving my daughter in the capable hands of the women at the babysitting center and could not have been happier with the care she received there. We were in and out of the area a lot and the kids who weren't napping in the nursery were always happily doing different activities. (Even the cutest little 3 month old boy was happily rocking in a swing or cooing in a stroller whenever we saw him at the center!) Everyone we encountered there was great, but I would especially like to thank Blossom and Shelly for taking such good care of my little girl. We also utilized the in-room babysitting service for two nights which was fantastic.

*Entertainment – Much respect to the team of actors who do the Sesame Street performances throughout the day and almost every night. The energy they put into the performances is amazing and they really make the kids feel special. I wasn't sure my daughter would like the stage show – or that I would be able to tolerate it – but we all had a great time dancing and singing each night. The character breakfast was also a wonderful experience. Highly recommended if your kids are the right age. Special thanks to the person in the Elmo costume for the extra time he took with my toddler. The look of delight on her face was just priceless!!

*Snapshots – Makayla was our photographer for a family photo shoot on the beach at sunset. The photo shoot was fun and a lot of the pictures she took look better than the ones from my wedding!

*Courtney's welcomed us to the resort, helped with our room change and took the time to make sure we found everything we needed during our stay. Our little girl just adored him and I would return to the resort just so she could see him again.

*Tom-o-the-great (not sure about spelling) selling shells on the beach was great. We asked him to paint a souvenir shell for our daughter and he surprised us with a second shell for the baby we are expecting just so that he wouldn't feel left out. It was a thoughtful gift and will be a great reminder of our time in Jamaica.

Room Tip: If you have young children or plan to go to sleep before 11pm do not take a room in the 900 block...
3 Thank YellowMouse
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
We're so thrilled to read of your excellent stay at Beaches Negril. It gives us a great feeling to know that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations after a rough start and quick room change.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back for another amazing experience in the near future.
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Beautiful resort but the amazing staff like Tracy-Lyn, Oshane, Jermaine, Shelly, Kenton, Caffrey, Oneil and Courtney are what makes us come back. The beach is amazing, the spa is fantastic and the restaurants are great, all with amazing staff.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review! We're happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Beaches Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and we're glad we were able to be a part of your experience.

We hope to see you again in a near future.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

my family and i went to beaches negril febuary 13-20 and it was fantastic. Because of our massive family we ended up staying in the butler suites and you are treated like royalty. our two butlers were conrad and novia. While conrad was good and better then we expected, Novia truly blew us away. She truly went the extra mile to make sure everything was perfect. Even things that wernt offered on the resort like certain beers or rums she got for us. Although very expensive our 4 kids had the time of there lives. Jermaine at the teen club was so much fun and made the vacation one to remember. i recommend the reggae cruise, as it was a ton of fun. I can't stress enough how amazing Novia was too us. If you ever go there defiantly request her as your butler as she is amazing.

Room Tip: santa cruz building
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're so glad to read that you had an amazing vacation at Beaches Negril. It makes us proud to know that our friendly and helpful staff members played a big role in the enjoyment of your stay. Thank you so much for your review.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Warner Robins, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Booked this vaction not knowing what to expect. We have loved it. will definatly recommend this resort to friends. One of our favorite parts of the stay was seeing how the organization seemed to take care of the workers here. It is refreshing staying in a place that almost ever employee we asked seemed to be happy with the benifets of there employment. I really hope this was not a front and the employees are as well taken care of as the guests are. We will more than likely be back. Totally loved the experiance.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind review. It means so much to hear your comments about our awesome team. Its important to keep our team members happy so that they perform to the best of their abilities at all times. We always strive to offer excellent service and I'm so glad we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay in the near future.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We just got back from our fourth trip in a row to beaches Negril, and we already are planning our fifth trip. Our family is a family of four with two daughters of ages 14 and 18 (myself) When we first arrived to the resort,the first person we saw was Courtney. We remembered him from last year and apparently he also remembered us, so much so that we didn't even have to get off the van and he was already shouting our names. As we were walking around the resort on the first day, we saw so many familiar faces and it really did feel like we were home. The beach was just like what we remembered, soft sand and a bright blue ocean, it's also the best beach we've ever been to. My dad and I are divers and absolutely love the fact that the diving is included and is so convenient. Our first dive was good and Charles talked me into getting my advanced open water certification and I'm glad I did. Craig took me down for most of my courses and was very patient and really explained to me what he was going to have me do before each dive to make sure I was comfortable. Also on the dive boat the crew, Valentine and Larry, were so helpful and very knowledgeable about each of the dives. Samuel was also a big help for my drift dive course and he also helped us try to put a night dive together.
There was never a moment where you couldn't get anything to eat or drink. The pool bars were great. Lorenzo, Shavoy, and Oneil were hilarious day after day and we would seriously sit around the bar for the longest time just listening to their jokes and making fun of each other.
Our family really didn't do much with water sports but they were always there putting lawn chairs together and laughing at us every time we went down the waterside screaming. I met Alton three years ago when we were there and he's been awesome ever since.
The photoshop is something I really want to brag about. Everyone working there is so kind and helpful. Nicole helped us out a ton throughout the process of looking through pictures and cutting some out. Last year when we came, I took my senior pictures with the sunset. Antwayne was my photographer and I don't know how he did it, but the sun in the pictures look 10 times better than what it did in person. So because we knew he was so good, we requested him to take our pictures again this year and he did not disappoint. Also Nicolette at the photoshop was awesome. There was one night where her shift was supposed to end in 10 minutes and we needed someone to take a few pictures, without hesitation she walked to the beach with us and took way more than what we were planning on. Later, we realized that she was risking missing her bus ride home just to take our pictures. That's just one example that shows that the staff really does care.
The entertainment staff was hilarious and always running around with energy. However, this was the one complaint I had. I remember last year, there were two teen coordinators, Fasha and Nicholas, (sadly, the both had moved on) they were awesome. They were fun, outgoing, and very active. And that was one thing my sister and I were excited for this year was to get together with the teen coordinators and meet other teens and have a good time. This year, It took a good 2 days to even figure out who the teen coordinator was. And even when we figured it out we never saw him recruiting teens to do any of the activities scheduled. We read somewhere that there would be a teen boat cruise. Quite a few teens did go but half the people on it, my mom recruited herself. And on the boat, the teen coordinator hardly even talked to the kids, however I was surprised that he got in the water and swam with us at Margaritaville. The one entertainment person that really did stand out was Caffrrey. He came over to our lawn chairs quite a few times to hang out and talk with my family and he went around to people trying to make them go into club liquid. On our last night a few teens that we met on our own and Caffrrey were all in trench town and we decided we needed to do something fun, so we ran around the resort and found silly things to do and Caffrrey was right there having fun with us while we kept passing the teen coordinator who was just sitting at a table. Really though, being a family resort and knowing teens want to have fun but are shy, they need someone like Fasha back.
Some other people who really stood out were Troy B who worked in the mill but also served us on the beach for the beach party and remembered us everyday since. Our housekeeper Vinette, she never got frustrated when we would come into the room while she was cleaning it and she did an excellent job everyday. Winston at the BBQ grill was always happy to take our orders and was always friendly, he's definitely a hard worker in the small area where it can get pretty hot with the grill. Stephen who waited on us at both Arizonas and the Vanitian, he laughed and made jokes and also remembered us from last year. Lastly, Adrian who worked at the big top bar every night. He always knew exactly what we would like and how strong to make things.
I'm always heartbroken to leave not just because the weather is warm and the resort is beautiful, but mostly because I know I'll miss the staff. The staff is really what makes my family and I want to go back year after year. They have so much energy and you can tell that they genuinely care. There is never a dull moment when interacting with them.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank heyitsjen11
Thank you for your review of Beaches Negril. We're thrilled to read that you and your family had another wonderful vacation with us. It's always good to know that we have exceeded the expectations of our return guests, as you are already familiar with our standard.

We can't wait to welcome you back again for another amazing stay!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Everything from arrival onwards was superb. Staff are friendly and eager to enhance your vacation but not intrusive. Beach dinner hosted by Marjorie was a great experience. Meals at the buffet were uncrowded, diverse, and flavorful with great service by Arica and Falon.

Room Tip: Adjacent rooms provided privacy and ability to supervise the kids.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
The Caves
The Caves
#4 of 84 in Negril
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!