“Fantastic family time”

GreenLeadersGold level
Burlington, Canada
“Fantastic family time”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My family (wife, daughter 12 and son 6) were at the resort for a destination wedding. The wedding itself was great, right on the beach for the ceremony and reception. But the time we spent both before and after the wedding along with other extended family members was truly a memorable experience. My son had a fantastic time between the waterslide, lazy river, pool and beach. He never attended the kids club but really did not need to. He made many friends (the place is after all crawling with kids). They entertained each other for hours on end. The rest of the family spent a lot of time on the beach. We participated in many watersports. The highlight of the trip for me was my first time diving with the scuba experience. A full liscense is now on my bucket list. We also had family outings to Rick's Cafe for cliff jumping (what a rush) and a long road trip to Dunn's River Falls but such an amazing activity, it's well worth the trip.
Food was excellent. I dined at Stewfish more than anywhere else. But the Jamaica night spread in The Mill was honestly sinful. I ate more than any human being should be allowed. I will not forget the conch soup.
I can honestly say that we did not have a bad interaction with any staff. Everyone was always concerned about our "happiness" and did everything they could. Lorenzo at the swim up bar was phenominal. The guys at the watersports were fantastic. Everything worked in our room.
The only downside was something that Beaches could not control, the weather. There were torrential downpours every late afternoon and it did cancel some activities. But it gave us breaks from the very intense sunshine. I assume the rain increased the bugs but this is no different than where we live in Canada so we were prepared with sprays just as we were with sunblock.
Overall an excellent time had by all and that is never easy with the age separation of our kids. I must confess to a bit of sticker shock when we looked at prices. But as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and we definitely received value for money!

1 Thank Aldershot_Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My family and I decided to take a late Summer trip to Beaches Negril. We have been to many different resorts in Jamaica and Mexico- so our expectations for a 'Beaches' resort should have been accurate according to the website.

First, we had two families with us, my husband and I, and my brother and his family. Although he paid $400 more than we did for a Grand Luxe room, we discovered that it was EXACTLY the same room as our Premium Negril room. These rooms are really bare bones and no frills included. There is also NO ROOM SERVICE on property and there are no elevators. Watch out if you have a 3rd floor room. When we asked the front desk about the accommodations, we were told that they were not a 'Sandals' resort, but a Beaches by Sandals resort. ?Okay?

My biggest complaints are with the pools and beach.

1. The pools had black mold growing on the interior sides and were always foggy. They were like this at any time of day for the 5 days we were there. It was pretty gross. Because of this, we fled to the beach.

2. WATCH OUT for SAND FLEAS! We had no idea and were not told that we had to wear bug spray every minute on the beach. We thought they were just mosquito bites, and were covered by the time we returned home. My niece and myself both had to go to the doctor for a prescription cream to help with the itching and prevent infection. Apparently, most resorts treat the sand for these pests at in the very early morning hours, but our resort did not. They were so bad at dinner the last night on the beach that we thought they were mosquitoes and asked the waiter for OFF, just so we could finish our meal. Obviously, I had no idea where the bites came from until I searched the internet and went to the doctor when we returned. The itching took 3 weeks to subside and I now have scars from the bites on my feet and legs. Gross.

We will not be returning to Jamaica, ever.

Room Tip: The Grande Luxe and Premium Negril rooms are exactly the same. Don't spend the extra money on t...
10 Thank Tippy_22
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We regret to read that you did not quite enjoy our beautiful resort and its amenities during your stay. I'm so sorry to hear about the severity of your bug bites. We do our best to control the amount of pests on property without harming the environment but during certain times of the year, sand flies can make our efforts seem almost futile. As an alternative, we do offer bug repellent on property. Also, our store and spa also offer body oils, lotions and gels containing soothing ingredients that not only treat, but in some cases, prevent bites.

We hope that you will decide to visit us again for a much better stay in the future. We certainly don't want this to be a deterrent for you returning.

Thank you for your feedback.

Happy Travels!
Swedesboro, New Jersey
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went to Beaches, Negril the week of August 23 thru 30th. This is the beginning of the rainy season so we had rain just about every day; 2 being total wash outs but we really didn't care. There was plenty to do. I'll back up first, though to the airport. When we arrived and made our way thru customs, we were greeted by a rep from the resort who escorted us to a beautiful lounge where we were offered free drinks and snacks. We didn't stay long before they escorted us to a van that took us to the resort. Be prepared as this is an hour and a half drive. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and escorted to the concierge lounge. I highly recommend you pay the extra money and book a concierge level room. It is worth every penny. While waiting to check in, we were offered drinks and fresh fruit. Once checked in, we were taken on a tour of the beautiful grounds and then to our room. I was very impressed with the room and the location seemed good. We were in the 300 section on the 3rd floor. We were just behind Arizona's restaurant but they close down by 10 so we didn't have any issue with noise from the restaurant. We did have a huge issue with cats. There are cats and kittens all over the resort and we had 2 brand new kittens in the crawl space above our room. We called housekeeping and they came out. They managed to get one of the kittens but the other got away. Unfortunately the mother came back all night long meowing VERY loudly. We were woken just about every hour. After 3 nights and many many calls to housekeeping we finally had to move rooms because we were exhausted. We were relocated to the 900 section which is clear across the resort. Still a very nice room with beautiful views. The only other complaint I have is that room service is very inconsistent. There were days when our beds weren't made up. One night, housekeeping actually arrived after 9 for turndown service (I don't believe the room had been made up that day either). We were so wiped out from our busy day that we were already in bed. If you ask for something, they are very accommodating but as I said, making up the rooms and turn down were not great in either of the rooms we occupied.
Our adventures with this resort were many and all wonderful (except the cats). We ate at every restaurant and enjoyed them all. We mostly ate at The Mill as it is buffet style and open most often. Everyone there was very accommodating but a couple people we really enjoyed were Arica and Elray. They always came over to see us, even if we weren't in their section. They greeted us like old friends whenever we saw them. Our absolute favorite place at Beaches, Negril was the pool bar just off the Mill. We spent time there every day.Probably our favorite people at the resort were Oneil and Jodian. They were so warm, funny and welcoming. They were constantly cleaning the bar (and it was always VERY clean). They both always came up with a new drink for me to try; all of them delicious. Jodian served the beach as well as working the bar. When she saw us on the beach, she was always very attentive. And Oneil very clearly takes a lot of pride in his bar and his job in general. He seems to know everyone there. I miss them both!! Also great at the bar were Damian and Craig. The whole bar crew worked so well together and had a lot of fun doing it. They always included everyone around in the fun, too. Great times.
We had our two teenage daughters (ages 13 and 15) on our trip with us. I was a little concerned that the resort might cater exclusively to smaller children and my kids would be bored. They stayed close to us for the most part the first 3 days. We kept very busy with the many water sports they offer (glass bottom boat tour, snorkeling paddle boarding, etc). Later on our 3rd day they held the beach Olympics. A wonderful girl from the teen center named Shaniqua came up to my girls on the beach and urged them to participate. That was all they needed. We barely saw the girls the rest of the trip. They got so involved in the many teen activities (video games, ping pong, teen catamaran cruise, night club) and they had a blast. Shaniqua and the others who organize the teen activities do a great job getting the kids together. My kids made a lot of new friends.
All in all, cats aside, I would definitely recommend Beaches, Negril. While things are a bit slower down there, the staff is friendly and welcoming.
A note on Club Mobay at the airport. You will get a discount if you pre purchase your tickets at Beaches but it is very hit or miss as to whether it's worth the cost. one of the benefits of Club Mobay is that you get right thru customs. This is great if there is a long customs line but there was no line when we arrived. You are provided with self service food at Club Mobay and it is good but the waitress who took our drink orders never came back. We had to go up to the bar and reorder our drinks after waiting quite a while. Also, our airline required us to check in 1 1/2 hours before our flight so my husband ran down to take care of that. Of course our gate was at the opposite end of the airport. My poor husband had about 10 minutes to eat quickly before we had to get to the gate. I would have preferred to sit at Margaritaville, which was right at our gate. I would think Club Mobay would be very valuable to parents with small children as it's all enclosed, there is plenty of food, and there is a kids play area.

Room Tip: Book a concierge level room for the best service. Also, stay away from the Savannah block rooms if y...
4 Thank dnd517
Thank you for your review of Beaches Negril. We're so thrilled to read that you and your family enjoyed every moment spent with us. It's great to know that we excelled in many areas including our food, luxurious rooms and the genuine hospitality of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future!
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family (wife and 11, and 7 year old daughters and I) visited Beached Negril on August 2013. It was a fantastic vacation. Great facilities, superb food and amazing people! All so nice. Activities to no end. We are planning on going back. It was a great time. Only problem, the airport security personnel in Montego Bay. While clearly not associated to the resort they treat people like cattle. Those were the 5 minutes of the trip... Otherwise, highly recommend it!

1 Thank Teponancingo
Thank you for your review of Beaches Negril. It's so great to read that you and your family had an amazing visit with us. We always want our guests to have a wonderful time in a comfortable and worry-free environment filled with friendly staff who are eager to serve.

We hope that you will visit us again very soon.
Bronx, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was the best family vacation ever! We went with our 13 and 14 yr olds and it was absolutely perfect in every way! The resort is gorgeous, beach is stunning, the entertainment is non-stop. Not one single complaint....We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We really appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. I'm so happy to read that your experience at Beaches Negril met your expectations. Our staff will surely be pleased to hear your kind comments.

We hope to see you again in the near future!
Olds, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I LOVED everything about Beaches and Jamaica! This was our very first trip to the Caribbean as a family and it was so memorable. Being from AB, Canada it took us a fairly long time to get there, the bus ride out to Negril from Montego Bay was over 2.5 hours, but it was nice to see the country side and get a real feel for Jamaica, they did stop at a little diner sort of thing for a break. We stopped to let other passengers off at the Sandy Bay resort and we were very underwhelmed with the appearance of this resort. It was early evening when we finally reached Beaches Negril and it was love at first sight! It took our breath away, the lush tropical greenery the sunset over the ocean it was magical, the open air lobby! It was perfect! We had paid a little extra for a private check in and they ushered us into the concierge's room where they had sandwiches and cocktails for the adults and cookies for the kids also moist towels to wipe away the travel dust. We were then shown to our room and it was very clean, not large but we had a perfect little balcony with a view of the ocean, which in late afternoons my husband and I would sit out on and have a glass of wine while kids rested in the room watching cartoons. There was alot to do at this resort we paid to go out on the Sesame Sail, the crew made this really fun for the kids and we got a nice tour of the coastline and we got to see some of the other resorts, Beaches Negril had by far the biggest and nicest beach of the other resorts that we saw. I'm not an adventurous eater so the food at the buffet was average, the steak restaurant was pretty good and the beach barbeque was delicious, nightly entertainment was fantastic, and lots to do at the resort. The staff was very friendly and accomodating! I would return to Beaches Negril in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Beaches Negril. It's great to read that you and your entire family had such an amazing time with us. We're happy that we were not only able to meet your expectations but exceed them as well.

Now that you know, we hope to see you back every year for more great experiences!
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Jamaica is hospitality!!!! The service was amazing... it didn't matter if it was passing a staff member on the sidewalk, or at one of the bars, restaurants, or front desk, everyone is genuinely friendly and engaging. The resort is clean, the rooms are freshly made up every day, the beds are so comfortable with large fluffy pillows!! The pool bar was fantastic!! Make sure you ask Nordel to show you his straw tricks, he was a blast!! Jody, Oneil, Sillion, and Nordel make awesome drinks and truly enjoy the company of the guests and work great as a team!!! They are one the main reasons we enjoyed our trip so much and we hope they are recognized for their outstanding customer service!! The Mill Restaurant had great food and great service, Suzan and Troy kept us laughing during our meals and gave attentive service!! You must go to Kimono's for a fun amazing meal. Ask to be seated at Verdayne's table, he was so entertaining!! We enjoyed spectacular views of the water & landscaping from every angle of this gorgeous property. There is always entertainment, day and night. We will be back. Thank you to all for a rememerable trip, you each enhanced our already amazing and beautiful vacation. One love!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jill b
Thank you for your kind review of Beaches Negril. Sounds like you had a great vacation! We take pride in providing a friendly and relaxing environment for all of our guests. We always want to ensure that all of your needs are met and it seems the staff did just that.

We can't wait to exceed your expectations next time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!