“Holiday with children” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Holiday with children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Caribbean 5 star is not the same standard as other countries, but here the rooms are clean and well supplied. Entertainment for children was excellent, and food very good. It did not feel that safe out of the resort in the town of negrill and wouldn't advise going unchaperoned. You can get ripped off with prices of trips, especially to Ricks cafe which has a mini bus to pick you up for a minimal charge and return you to hotel free of charge.
Golf prices vary, remember you then have to pay for a caddy and a buggy. The caddy then expects a tip of 20 dollars. As long as you know this upfront it won't spoil your experience on the Negrill golf course.
Although Sandals is a non tipping all inclusive, there are some staff that expect a tip, and one in particular who knocked on the door for it.
All said we did have a very nice holiday,

Room Tip: Rooms seem to be of regular size and upgrades go to include drinks in your room upto butler service...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at Beaches Negril in early June. There were 11 of us with 4 younger kids and 1 teenager. Travel to and from the resort was easy (definitly recommend Club Mobay arrival and departure at the airport if traveling with kids). Overall the grounds were amazing and most of the staff were very friendly and helpful. I only have 3 small complaints: The food in my opinion was not as good as I would expect. My wife and I stayed at a Couples brand resort last year and the food was excellent. The second item that needs improvement is the kids camp. We didn't plan on leaving our kids there all day but they wanted to take in some of the activities. The kids camp seemed unorganized and there were many kids that didn't seem as though they were having any fun. The kids loved the Sesame Street characters and my youngest son really enjoyed the pizza making activity. The third thing that I disliked was the beach vendors trying to sell jet ski and parasail rides. I understand that they are trying to make a living but it just got annoying after awhile and a few were offering drugs to me which I didn't appreciate.
With that being said; the bartenders were great and really focused on the kids, the watersports staff was great, the pool lifeguards were friendly and overall we had a great time.
My recommendation: Stay here if you are set on staying in Negril otherwise I would consider their Ocho Rios resort which has a private beach. This place is great if traveling with kids of any age but if you want an adults only vacation consider one of the Couples brand resorts. When planning your vacation at a minimum get a concerige level room or higher they really help with dinner reservations and planning your activities.

Room Tip: Concerige level room or better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ND5
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you did enjoy your stay at Beaches Negril! We hope that on your next visit we will be able to surpass your expectations!
We note the concerns that you had during your stay and will be passing along your remarks to the resort management. We also encourage guests to speak with security at any time they feel uncomfortable whiles at any of our resorts. You can be assured they will assist you in the matter.
We appreciate the feedback as it helps identify areas of strengths and weaknesses and we are constantly perfecting our service!
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was an exception resort with top notch kids club for our 4 year old (that was the most important criteria). The staff and nannies were able to handle our very active little man. Everyone who worked there seemed genuinely happy to be there and so friendly. It was hard coming back to the real world and not have everyone say "no problem" when you ask a question.
I would have given it 5 start except for the extremely loud music blaring at the pool closest to our room and day care. We kept asking if they could play Bob Marley or any raggae and they kept saying the teens loved this loud American R&B/Rap. Augh! we're in Jamaica, not an Oakland Raider pre-party. Families paid a minimum of $10k to get there...I think the teens could have lived with a litle raggae in Jamaica. I was glad when it rained as the speakers would go away.

The best thing about our trip was I got hooked up with this great travel agent, Jennifer Torren who helped us with EVERYTHING, nanny care, suggestions, and especially MoBay Club - it took us 10 minutes to get through customs and I would have never known about it without Jennifer. Jennifer gets 5 stars as she had nothing to do with the music ;-)
Jennifer Toren, TripGuy Travel LLC
jennifer@TripGuy.com, 215-510-0955
We took advantage of the scuba diving (pretty good!) and scuba. Water sports were good!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review! We can tell from the photos that you and your family had an awesome vacation at Beaches Negril! We regret that you found the music at the pool area a bit of a nuisance. We will definitely be passing your suggestion on to the resort staff.
We are especially happy that your children had such a fun time with our staff! They honestly do love interacting with them and allowing parents to enjoy the resort as well. We do look forward to having you back at one of our resorts in the future!
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is my second time at Beaches Negril and it was so much better than my first! I will discuss each aspect of Beaches Negril in sections to make it easier to read.

ROOM: I travelled with a group of 7 and we stayed in the Savannah building in room 624 & 625. Our rooms were in the perfect location and close to everything, but far enough not to be bothered by the nightly shows and people at the pools. I highly recommend the butler service if you can afford it because it really does make a difference. NOVIA & CONRAD were our butlers and they we THE BEST. You can tell that they enjoy their jobs and they do an exceptional job at it. Even though it felt awkward actually using a butler, they always made it seem like nothing we asked for was too much trouble; so thank you, Novia and Conrad for your wonderful work! We had bottles in our room, and we were able to have our meals brought to us in our rooms, to the beach or whenever else we wanted (we were given a phone so we could call our butler whenever we needed. The bathroom is a decent size and all of the equipment is clean and working well, the water pressure is also excellent.

FOOD: It is impossible to get hungry while staying at Beaches. There is literally something for everyone. There is one main buffet (The Mill) as well as 5 restaurants: Venetian-Italian, Kimonos-Japanese Hibachi style, Arizonans-Mexican and Stewfish-on the beach serving great seafood. I am a vegetarian and many people offered to cook me tofu if the main dish I was eating had chicken or beef, which was really nice to be given that option. The Mill has something that everyone will enjoy, it even has Jamaican dishes such as akee and saltfish, fry fish and fried dumplings which was good because last time I came to this resort, the Jamaican food was little to none! There is also Cafe De Paris, which serves lattes, cappuccinos, ice cream and pastries..I went there every morning for a vanilla cappuccino.

ENTERTAINMENT: During the day, the people my age spent most of their day with Theresa, Shaniqua and Jermaine. These three are hilarious people who are always making sure people are included and having a good time. Theresa is awesome because she is always telling jokes and giving one on one time with people -she is now like a sister to me. Shaniqua is hilarious and always dancing, so I learned a few things! Jermaine is sooo kind and is an amazing dancer, I loved watching him at the Big Top each night!
Every Thursday, there's a party on the beach which is hands down, the best night at Beaches! The beach party is full of good vibes and fun people. Shoutout to DJ Asarie for always playing good music at the beach party and at club liquid every single night!
The nightly entertainment is a hit and miss, the best nights is the circus, the talent show and the steel drum band.

THE BEACH: There isn't much to say about the beach; it is beautiful and it's my favourite beach in the world. Yes, there are locals that try and sell things to you, but a simple "No thanks" will keep them away, they are nothing to be fearful of.
There is no need to wake up early to find beach chairs because there are so many on such a long stretch of the beach that you will always find a spot. For me, Novia or Conrad would go out extra early and set up an area on the beach with towels, a cooler with drinks, beer and wine and a table and beach chairs underneath a beach cabana. Beautiful beach!

OVERALL: Beaches Negril is my home away from home, I never feel unsafe here and Theresa, Shaniqua and Jermaine made my trip so much better that I'm planning on coming back in 2 months. Thankyou to all of the hard workers who made my vacation awesome!

5 Thank MelaaanieB
Thank you for sharing the awesome experience you had at Beaches Negril! I am delighted to hear that the staff did everything possible to accommodate your entire family! Beaches staff members are held to such high standards and it seems as Team Negril met them all!
We all look forward to hearing about your next visit coming up in 2 months! We are positive that you will be even more impressed!
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just returned from our 5th Beaches vacation, 4th to Negril and had an amazing time! KUDOS to all the staff members who provide excellent service and help make this resort welcoming, friendly and fun. We've traveled to numerous all-inclusives in the Caribbean and Mexico and BEACHES tops the list. The food was great (thank you, Mischa (sp?), activities galore, fabulous water sports etc. A big thank you to Renato and Simone - their smiles and laughter were infectious and brightened our already sunny days! :) June was an amazing bartender and warmly greeted us at all times. Lucien and Lloyd in water sports - you rock! Courtney and Luther were quick to greet us and welcome us back. "Bubbly" Karen (Concierge/front desk) was a very visible presence and ensured all was going well. Soon Come Back staff were fantastic and we already re-booked our future BEACHES vacation.
Just an observation which hopefully can be easily fixed.... the lazy river this year was way too lazy for our boys and many older kids were bored by it. I understand there many be safety concerns with a faster jet speed, but perhaps you can stagger "lazy" river hours with "roaring" river hours. Or, have parents supervise younger children in the lazy river - we never left our boys unattended when they were younger. Ill parental supervision is a recipe for disaster in any situation! Thank you, all and see you soon!! :)

1 Thank abbiate
bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The staff at the watersports and smaller bars and restaurants were friendly. The food at the Venetian was excellent, Kimonos and the Mill was good. We all liked the café for "real" ice cream, pastries and coffee. Some of the nightly entertainment was good. We made great use of the included watersports and paid for the children to complete PADI diving courses. The beach was great for swimming with no rocks or seaweed. The pools were kept very clean and someone was cleaning the tiles in the pool while we ate breakfast. Some beach chairs could do with replacing. The beach towels were good and not in short supply. The diving instructors gave good instruction and the children enjoyed the courses. The watersports availability was great and the equipment in good condition. Most of the time you could start the activity straight away - hobie cat, kayak, windsurf even the water skiing/knee boarding. I would recommend the snorkel trip which is available daily as I saw two stingrays which is more than I saw diving! The diving was well run as always. Our room (the turq deluxe) was quite small for 2 adults and 2 children. I was particularly surprised to find there is no free WIFI in reception, so if you want to check e mails at any time in resort you will need to pay for WIFI in the room. If you want to experience riding a horse swimming in the ocean for few minutes at the end of a walking riding trip, book the CHUKKA riding trip - we enjoyed it. Overall the resort was good but not worldclass. I would recommend the bookable lounge at Montego Bay airport which was enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cheralyn n
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Service Acknowledgment to be shared with Beaches Management......

We recently stayed at Beaches Negril on the week of August 10-17, 2013. Our original plans were to stay from August 3-17, but Beaches was unable to accommodate us for the first week as they were fully booked, so we had to make a sacrifice and stay at another resort. No need to mention, but we can say that there is no comparison.

First, I would like to start off with thanking all of the staff at Beaches. There are just too many people to thank. I am writing this thank you note because there are certain staff members that should be acknowledged for their efforts as they went above and beyond. Here are just a few things that should be mentioned.

As a returning guest, from Sandals and Beaches you always fear that the experience will never be the same as the other times, but I was wrong. As soon as we arrived, we entered the Concierge lounge and was greeted with a huge smile from Natalie. As we sat in the air conditioned room drinking cocktails, I finalized the rooms as we were a party of 7 people with 3 rooms. At first all three rooms were all on different floors, but in the same building. We had requested that one of the rooms be changed as it was on the third floor and they were a senior couple assigned to that room. Since the resort was at a full capacity, we were advised that we had to wait for the next day in order to make changes as people were checking out. As promised, Natalie made arrangements and had my in-laws moved next to our room on the ground level the following day. In addition, with Xbox in every room and having a son who loves to play video games (by the way, this is a great initiative from Beaches) Natalie advised that there were loaded games on the console and additional games that can be booked. Natalie inquired what type of games he was interested in and since the resort did not have any action games, Natalie brought in some of her brothers games from home for my son to use for the week. She even took the time to find us at the beach to be hand delivered. There was more, but we were very pleased with her level of service that was provided.

Another individual that we would like to mention is Andre who attended to us in our Cabana. Andre was always on top of things from ensuring that the cabana was always prepared early in the morning. We know this because every morning when my father-in-law would do his early morning walk on the beach, and he would see Andre setting up the cabana to be ready for us by 8:00 am. In addition to making sure that our cooler was fully stocked with drinks and bringing us lunch whenever we felt too lazy to walk to one of the many restaurants. Everyday was a great day and it always got better from the next.

Samantha in Cafe de Paris is another individual who should be acknowledged. The 2nd evening of our stay, my son Julien wanted to attend the Xbox game room and Liquid Lounge. So after dinner, he went on his way and Samantha walked and showed him additional things around the resort such as the kids camps activities. The next day, she remembered his name when saying hello.

There are so many people to thank, from the General Manager, Andrian Whitehead, Manager of Entertainment, Garrett and the ladies in the Cafe de Paris who ensured that my father-in-law (Papa Smurf) got his double espresso fix everyday and the many more people on the resort.

From the excellent service that we continue to receive from Sandals/Beaches we are discussing to book next years vacation, but this time we are hoping that it will be at Fowl Cay Resort. Hopefully, someone at Sandals will contact us to make arrangements, so we don't miss out for next year and end up somewhere else.

Thank you all Beaches Staff for making our vacation a memorable one.

Room Tip: The Beachfront Suite is awesome. We were located in the ground level in the Savanha building, close...
3 Thank Joseph L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
The Caves
The Caves
#4 of 84 in Negril
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!