“My Jamaican vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“My Jamaican vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently went on vacation to Negril jamacia & stayed at the beaches all inclusive resort with a family I'm very close with and had an amazing time. The resort was well layed out and lots to do. They had several restaurants to choose from & a jerk stand that's open all day & for mid night snacks. The food in the buffet The Mill was also great thanks to the cook Shelly & staff Troy & Susan. The manager Nashena was kind enough to work with my veggie diet & allowed Shelly to whip me up some veggie pasta. Thanks Marjory who was ever where I needed her to be with coffee & a smile :)

So here is my DO / DONT DO list:

DO bring lots of sun screen...lots
DO bring dryer sheets to tuck into clothes as it repels mosquito s. My BFF of 30 years is living proof as she got all bit up last year & this year using sheets she only got 2 bites. Worked for me too.
Do look for Sheldon if you're lost as he's great at directions.
Do go to Cafe De Paris for all your Starbucks type needs. The blue mountain coffee is fabulous.
Do try to get Latoya or Denise as room service. Super sweet girls.
Do meet Oshane in entertainment. He'll make you feel right at home as well as his buddy who's name starts with a K ...maybe kennedy? I'm so sorry I lost my paper with their names on it. They're very entertaining which I guess why they're in entertainment.
Do enjoy a stroll on the beach all the way to the end (2 miles) to the Travelers Inn. This was the highlight of our trip. We were thirsty, hot & very tired from souvenir shopping (I know poor us right) when we were invited in this red shack bar that was as the name states a great place for a traveler. Howard runs the place,Damien sells his grandfathers hats on the beach so his kids have school $$, Michael the fisherman,& Binky who can find you any souvenir you need & is the salt of the earth. To us THEY were jamacia. As real as it gets there. In all its beauty & diversity. You will come to love them as we did.
Do go to Ricks world famous cliff diving spot, but be prepared to tip a lot of people & cave diving is about $10 a person.
Do bring water everywhere you go!
Do try the lazy river...it,ll change your life.
Do learn to scuba dive there. The water is amazingly clear & warm. Its only $90 for cert (good there only) & scuba dives are free. Thanks Craig.
Do look for Clifton on the beach selling his beads, string bracelets, or ANYTHING else you may need.

Dont travel the first day of your vaca away like we did. Get there early AM to enjoy every day you can.
Don't think you don't need sun screen cause you usually don't burn.
Don't forget bug repellent cause sand fleas bites are mean.
Don't look for an ash tray there cause for some reason the don't have many.
Don't expect a descent shower as the pressure in the shower is dismal.

That's it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did. We're returning soon too. Lite

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lite_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Spring Grove, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

No resort is perfect, but this one has a lot of nice features, and I would highly recommend it. This is the best family-oriented resort in Negril.

Rooms
Updated, clean, and a size for everyone. They could use walk-in showers, which I heard some suites might be getting.

Pools
Pools are scattered throughout the resort, which is nice. Never had to play the chair game. No matter what time we came out, there was always somewhere to sit. Towels are readily available at the pools. (No cards needed.) I was not a fan of the pool rafts. I like Sandal's rafts better.

Food is about the same as other All-Inclusive resorts. I wouldn't say it's exceptional. Definitely not as good as Karisma, Real, Dreams or Secrets resorts. Very difficult to get into the specialty restaurants (especially the Italian). We did make it to the Japanese (Kimonos), and that was definitely a highlight. We sat with a nice family, and had an awesome Chef who was an incredible singer. The Hostess was also fabulous. That girl was on fire! The Brick Oven pizza maker broke while we were there, but that type of thing can't be avoided. One of my favorite spots was the coffee shop. I loved getting a crepe every night. The BBQ park was quick and easy and had great Jamaican Patties.

My food allergies were handled very well. I never had an issue while onsite.

Concierge
Check-in can be a little confusing and busy, especially if checking in on the weekend. However, it's a nice lounge with great people. They have drinks, apples, and cookies for you to take.

Staff
Even those who are not part of the Concierge lounge are very friendly and helpful. Everyone knows you right away. They really try to make you feel special and comfortable.

Beach/Activities
Seven Mile can't be beat. Plenty of activities for everyone. We enjoyed the Glass Bottom boat ride and the water tricycles, which are included! The lazy river is great unlike others I've been too that don't have any pressure. However, it would have been better if people weren't allowed to go in without rafts. You keep bumpin into them and it can't be avoided.

Entertainment
Beaches features the Sesame Street characters, which is cute, but they don't take over the resort, so there is something for all ages. The teens and tweens have many actiities including Club Liquid. The kids really seemed to be in charge of the activities, but because there was so much for them to do, they weren't bratty. Everyone seemed to get along and have a good time. At some resorts, the kids are left unsupervised and they are out of control, but the Staff does an amazing job of keeping them entertained and in a fun way!

Drinks
There were a couple drink specials that I enjoyed, but not too many. I iked the kiddie Chocolate Banana, and the Concierge special, and the Sake Sangria. I'm not a big drinker, but I don't like Slurpees for Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daquiris...I like the real deal. My niece liked the variety of drinks though.

Size
The resort size was perfect. Everything was set up in sections like a village and it was very easy to navigate.

Deposit
They require a $400 deposit upon check-in for the extras that you might purchase. I don't agree with this policy as a lot of people brought debit cards instead of credit cards and it ties up their money. Besides, why can't they just charge the extras to the room like other places or cruises and pay upon check-out. I know that some credit cards still had a hold on them long after the clients returned back home, and this is an issue.

Room Tip: We had room 912, which was away from the water park (next to Couples Swept Away). It was more quiet.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MJo
Effingham, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We travelled to Beaches Negril with our four children, ages 10 through 18. We had a wonderful vacation. We had connecting rooms on the second floor which looked out over the trees and had a very nice view of the beach and the ocean beyond. The food was good. Not great, but above average for an all-inclusive. Plenty of variety. Our youngest finished her scuba certification while we were there, so now we can all dive together. Charles did a very good job teaching our daughter, while the rest of us enjoyed diving together. The dive operation is good, although the dive trips definitely seemed to cater to the least experienced people on the boats. It was fine for us because we were with our children but for experienced divers it could get frustrating. The weather was supposed to be really bad the whole time we were there, but as one of the guys on the dive boat said "Da weatherman ain't God, Mon." That turned out to be true as the horrible weather they were predicting never materialized. It is a much smaller resort than Turks and Caicos, and it was nice to be able to meet new people and see them multiple times throughout our stay. We did not take advantage of the kids club but the kids who were there seemed to be having fun. Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Beaches Negril. We're so thrilled to read that you had such an amazing experience with us. It's great to know that you enjoyed our food, luxurious rooms and the genuine hospitality of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is our 4th trip to Jamaica. We've stayed at Sandals & Couples in the past; this time we needed a place to go with the kids. Beaches was an excellent choice!

The staff is friendly and helpful. The POOL BAR was excellent! Lorenzo and the crew made evey day fun. The bar staff served great drinks (they should, it is a bar, after all); but they also entertained! They sang, danced, and played "make-shift" instruments with bar utensils, bottles, and anything they could use as a percussion instrument.

There is a pizza place next to the bar, and a BBQ just a qui k walk away near the other pool (kid's pool).

If your idea of a vacation is sitting by the pool with a great drink, food on demand, friendly service, and the musical sound of Jamaica playing in the background, Beaches is a great choice.

We visited in the end June, the rainy season. We got rain a few days, in the afternoon, but a light rain kept it cool and was refreshing as we walked.from our poolside chairs to the bar or restaurants.

We will come back, if we bring the kids. Thanks, Beaches!

• Stayed June 2013
Plain City, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our family loved every minute of being at Beaches Negril. Never a dull moment. The place had an awesome atmosphere and grounds, but what was even more impressive was the staff. I truly believe they appreciated us being there and cared about our time there. In fact, I am going to use this model and come up with a training program for the employees at my business. Very impressive. I would highly recommend Beaches Negril for a great family vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 728 wich was next to the couples resort. We like to go to bed around 10 and wake u...
1 Thank Mike K
We're so thrilled to read of your incredible stay at Beaches Negril. We're even more excited to hear that you were so impressed with our level of service. We always strive to uphold the highest levels of service and quality and we appreciate you taking notice. Thank you for your review.

We look forward to seeing you back in the near future!

East Palatka, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is my second time to Beaches Negril, and it was amazing. The first time I went I got certified for scuba diving, so the second time I had fun diving everyday with the instructor Sampson, along with all the dive crew. This is a very kid friendly place! My daughter and her friend had a wonderful time, and literally cried when we left. Not to mention their both 14. They also had an amazing time with the underwater photographer named Sharren, but goes by the nickname O-b. I would recommend him any day, he takes amazing pictures! A side from the kids club staff, the photographers are just as kid friendly. They also had a teen cruise that took place on the scuba dive boat. Both of the girls went and didn't want to get off! They traveled to Ricks café and Margaritaville. In the end, everyone had an exceptional time and we would come back again. The only down side is that you have to pay for wifi. I would hopefully like to see that included next time we come back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rick B
Thank you for your wonderful review of Beaches Negril. We're so thrilled to read that you had such an amazing experience with us again. It's great to know that the genuine hospitality of our staff played a big role in making your second stay so enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We are just back from a 12 night holiday at Beaches Negril and can't wait to return. From the moment we arrived at the airport the service we received was outstanding. The hotel and grounds are fantastic, the food is amazing with plenty of choice and the entertainment from the kids club (our 5 year old is mad on Sesame Street!) to the Xbox room and pool side fun and Spa is brilliant! Our children loved the water slide and lazy river and were never bored! If you fancy a trip out one day Dolphin Cove is great and very exciting. The staff at Beaches Negril are the best we've ever encountered in any hotel/resort we've stayed in, nothing is too much trouble and you really do feel looked after from management through to the housekeeping team. If you are in any doubt about booking then just do it you will not be disappointed!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Suzanne C
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Suzanne, thank you so much for your review of Beaches Negril. We're so happy to read that you were pleased with our gorgeous property, delicious food and friendly staff. We strive to create amazing experiences for our guests. Therefore, your comments make us proud and confirm that we are on the right track!

We look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic vacation in the near future!

Cassie C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
The Caves
The Caves
#4 of 84 in Negril
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!