“Best Family Vacation Imaginable!”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Best Family Vacation Imaginable!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Beaches, Negril with our adult daughter, her boyfriend and her two boys, ages ten and eleven. This was our first experience with any Sandals affiliated resort, and it exceeded all expectations, from our check-in (Natalie was so welcoming she brought tears to my eyes), to our emotional goodbyes with so many of the Beaches staff a week later. Beaches provides an amazing blend of luxury and casualness. The guest rooms and common areas (lobby, pools, bars, gym, spa) are five star luxury accommodations, while the overall vibe of the resort is ultra relaxing and casual. Although it was not a school holiday break, our kids still met friends who were also vacationing there, and the resort felt so safe and protected that we let them roam with their friends unsupervised from morning until late at night. They were often in the pool until after 10! The entire Beaches staff was friendly and helpful beyond belief, and there were certain younger staff members who engaged the kids in all kinds of activities......Cafrey, Jermaine and Oshane! It's also fantastic that the kids (and adults) can eat and drink as much as they want all day without paying for each individual item. Our kids went nuts for the Chocolate Monkey Freeze (shout-out to bartender, Marlon!) and the soft serve ice cream machine that never went dry! My personal favorites were the jerk chicken at the Barbeque (shout-out to the "jerk king," my friend, Christopher), the Jamaican beach buffet on Mondays (ask for Arica, as well as in the Mill Buffet), and Stewfish for breakfast & dinner (ask for Troy & Desroy). Loved the Cafe Paris for Blue Mountain coffee, espresso & chocolate croissants every morning (Samantha, Sania & Tasha are Jamaican queens who will start your day off right). The all inclusive water sports were also great, and we took advantage of two snorkeling excursions (with Captain Howard, O.B. & Carl), kayaking and sailing a Hobie- Cat in a sea that is clearer than most swimming pools! My only criticism would be the food in the Italian restaurant, the Venetian and the southwestern restaurant, Arizona's. But then again, how good do think jerk chicken, oxtail stew or curried goat would be in Venice or Santa Fe?! I also wish it were easier to get Red Stripe in a bottle.....the draft is inferior! And finally, it'd be nice if The Mill served their breakfast buffet a little later, at least until 11. But when all is said and done, we're already looking forward to returning with our kids next year! They said it was the "best vacation they ever had," and that's something you can't put a price tag on.......it's a memory that will stay with them for the rest of their lives!

5 Thank coffeegrinds
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We're so happy to read that you had a great vacation with us at Beaches Negril. We love to hear our guests boast about our luxurious accommodations, delectable dining options, beautiful property and the wonderful personalities and hospitality of our staff. Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you and your family.

We can't wait to welcome you all back in the near future!

Sincerely
Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Indiana
Reviewed May 21, 2013

After returning from our first trip to Beaches Negril, my family definitely plans to return! My husband and I spent a week at Beaches with our our sons (5 years old and 6 months old). Though I was quite apprehensive about traveling internationally with our kids, when we stepped into the Sandals/Beaches lounge at the airport after an on time and uneventful flight I knew I had nothing to worry about! After grabbing a quick drink we were taken to the shuttle bus to head to Negril. The transfer was approximately 90 minutes but would have been much quicker if we hadn't stopped for drinks and snacks.

We were welcomed by smiling faces as we stepped off the shuttle at the resort. We were handed cool towels and directed to our check-in location. We were so surprised when we learned that our travel aged, Ruth Demuth from Trip Guy Travel, was able to get us an upgrade to a concierge room! Because we had checked-in online prior to our trip, we were in our room within 15 minutes of arriving at the resort.

We were in room 415 and it was adequate for our family. We had a partial ocean view from our second floor room and loved that we were right in the middle of everything. We enjoyed the balcony which was equipped with patio furniture and a drying rack. Our fridge was stocked daily with drinks of our choice. The tub was large and our 5 year old enjoyed "swimming" during bath time. We had requested a king room but our room had two doubles. Because we were happy with the location and grateful for our upgrade we decided not to request a different room. Our TA also requested a crib on our behalf. It was never delivered to our room but we packed our rock 'n play and would have chose to use it even if we had a crib.

Though we all had our own favorites, we enjoyed the food at Beaches. We were able to dine at all of the restaurants at least once during our stay. We found all of the restaurant staff to be friendly and very accommodating. We were able to dine at Kimonos twice. Our 6 month old was grumpy both times and the second time Tashriann held him through our entire meal so my husband, 5 year old, and I could eat together instead of having to choose who would take the baby back to the room. We also loved Samantha at Cafe de Paris. We didn't meet her until the end of our stay but our older son loved her! Before our early check-out on our last day, Samantha made him a chocolate Sundae for breakfast (with my permission) and packaged up two chocolate chip cookies for him to eat on the airplane. The Cafe was my daily indulgence! I splurged on coffee and sweets - usually more than one because I couldn't choose. The rum balls were delicious!

We did not use the kids club much. We did leave our 6 month old twice for approximately 30 minutes so we could swim in the ocean which was a bit to rough to take him into. Our 5 year old spent several hours at camp our first full day. Before we sent him to camp we talked about the daily activities and allowed him to choose when he wanted to be at camp and when he wanted to be with us. When we picked him up he was disappointed because they had not done some of the scheduled activities. We encouraged him to go again the next day but he was again disappointed because they had alternate activities. Because we were on a family vacation and were only sending him to camp so he could participate in the activities we decided as a family that he would spend the remainder of the week with us. On our last full day he begged to go to camp because they were supposed to build a volcano on the beach. We agreed that he could go but they did not build a volcano. While I had no question about the quality of care the boys received by the kids camp staff we were disappointed that they did not complete the scheduled activities. When we return we will probably just plan not to send him to camp because this was the biggest area of disappointment for our family.

The beach is absolutely beautiful and other than the fantastic staff it is the best feature of this resort. We never had any trouble finding a lounge chair or towels. When approached by locals, a simple "no thank you" seemed to be an adequate response. We were never badgered or pressured to purchase anything. There was plenty of security on the beach to help minimize any badgering. However, we took a two hour walk on the beach and didn't feel any more pressured while we were away from the resort.

The pools were smaller than some resorts we've been to but were adequate. They could use more lounge chairs around the pool areas though. It was difficult to find a lounge chair around the pools if you didn't go to the pool first thing in the morning. We had to leave our things on benches several times. We found that people would leave their things on the chairs but leave the pools for hours. It would be nice if there was some way the resort staff could monitor this so that loungers could be in use by people who were using the pool area. Our son loved the kid friendly drink menu and loved that he could swim right up to the pool bar to grab a drink!

There were plenty of activities to keep anyone busy at the resort. We did not participate in many of the activities since our 6 month old kept us busy but everyone always looked like they were enjoying themselves!

The staff at Beaches was truly fantastic. Everybody met us with smiling faces and seemed happy to accommodate our wants and needs. We left Negril on Mothers Day. A butler stopped to say hello that morning. I mentioned how much I was going to miss my morning cup (or three) of Blue Mountain coffee and that I would love to be able to have some with my mom. The butler returned with several packages of coffee for me to take home! I was impressed that she went out of her way to accommodate me since we were not butler level guests!

Our five year old and I were both stung by jellyfish during morning swims. We went to the nurse who rinsed our stings with vinegar to neutralize them. She was kind and efficient. We also saw some small fish, a large sting,and two star fish in our swimming area in the morning. Though our son is able to snorkel he was too young to go on the resort snorkeling trip so it was exciting to see them near the beach. Other than the small fish, most of the other creatures seemed to leave the swimming area later in the morning when more people were in the ocean.

Mosquitoes seemed to be a bit of an issue in the evening. We forgot to bring repellant but wished we had some after several bites. We generally chose to skip the evening activities and head back to our room after dinner to avoid the mosquitoes.

We had an excellent time at Beaches and would not hesitate this resort to anybody looking for a family friendly get away. Many thanks to the beaches staff for making our trip so memorable and to our travel agent, Ruth Demuth, for all of her hard work to make this trip so special!

4 Thank Misty_Nicole1982
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

After travelling to many hotels all over the world with my job as a Travel Manager I have very high standards! I can honestly say that Beaches Negril was one of the best hotels I have stayed at.. From the welcome at the airport we were taken to the sandals/beaches lounge which was beautiful and had free drinks and facilities to use until the private transfer was ready. Our transfer to Negril was 90 mins but wasnt bad and had some lovely scenery along the way. On arrival we were greeted with cold towels and cocktails/juices and taken to the lounge to check in.. our bags were taken to our room for us and we were shown by staff to our room. We had a beautiful fruit plate waiting for us in our room which i thought was a nice touch.
Room - Beautiful! Gorgeous beds which were really comfortable, flat screen tv, Mini fridge filled with Beer, soft drinks and juices/water. Coffee maker, microwave, balcony and electronic in-room safe, iron and ironing board and a x-box.
Food - Exceptional... The Venetian italian restuarant was my favorite, Rack of lamb was amazing! beautiful surroundings and waiter Gregory and the rest of the team were fabulous and really looked after us. The Kimonos was a great place to eat.. food was incredible and chefs have singing contests which is really fun. The Arizona has great tex mex food inc wraps and nachos in the day and steaks and fajitas of a night.. The main buffet was great, lots of choice for everyone and staff very attentive and always asking if you need anything and plates cleared quickly. the al a carte breakfast in the stew fish restuarant on the beach was lovely. Overall I can say this is probably the best food I have eaten abroad...The cafe de paris french bakery was unbelieveable!! crepes, fresh bakes cakes and crossiants, ice creams and coffees of all descriptions inc liquor coffee is available all included in the price... nothing like this in any other hotel i have been to.. great addition to beaches.
Drinks - Amazing cocktails and drinks in this resort, premium brands like jack daniels, absolut vodka and tanqeray gin.. Guys Lorenzo and Leggon at the pool bar made my holiday! they were always suggesting new drinks and very entertaining!!
Beach - The most beautiful beach in Jamaica... Cleaned everyday and the sand is like talc it is so soft! take some bread down to the water for the fish to feed as they are really colourful.. There are cabanas available for rent from $99 up per day on the beach but are great value come with a butler to wait on you all day, cooler box with drinks and breakfast/lunch served to you. Michael on beach concierge was lovely and always willing to help..
Entertainment - Great facilities for the kids - seasme street characters were great! Live music or shows every night, really loved the beach party!! The nightclub liquid was great, music was fab and very modern!!
Watersports - You could participate in all kids of sports, I went snorkelling and got to hold a puffer fish!! you can go everyday for free and it is a different place every day so you see different things also the glass bottom boat was great - Howard from watersports team had great knowledge about the fish etc.. saw a massive stingray which was bigger than me!!
Overall - I would recommend this to all types of customers! I travelled with my mum and we had a lovely time... The weddings I saw on this resort were beautiful and I would seriously consider getting married here myself! I have saw some bad reviews on here and it blows my mind how anyone could think this resort is in anyway bad... trust me it was out of this world... Beaches I will be back!!

Room Tip: choose Concerige service, Beachfront rooms are definately worth the money. Block 1 is far enough awa...
3 Thank ClareG1981
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I cannot express how incredible my holiday to Beaches Negril was in September. I travelled with my fiance (we got engaged a few days before we visited) and from the moment we arrived we were spolit and treated like royalty! Beaches/Sandals has their own lounge at the airport which means you can chill with a red stripe while your transfer gets ready. We had a private transfer which was lovely - there was a cooler of beer/soft drinks and some sandwiches in the car for us. The drive to Negril is very scenic and its nice to see some of the Island as you travel to the resort, our driver shared lots of local knowledge and history with us.

When you arrive at a Beaches resort they welcome you home, and after a visit here you really do feel at home (we both got a bit choked up when we had to leave.) We were upgraded to a concierge suite and so were looked after wonderfully by two butlers, Conrad and Odell who literally could not do enough for us. They were incredible. They reserved us two sunloungers and a cabana every morning (along with a cooler of any drinks we requested). And every day at 3pm Odell brought us our "medicine" - which was a bottle of champagne/sparkling wine to enjoy on the beach. We often saved this for sunset! They were on hand to do as little or as much us you wanted, we felt bad asking them to do things but they soon took charge, organising our restaurant reservations for us, even bringing up breakfast on the beach, they really made our holiday and forced us to relax!

The beach is amazing, pure white sand as far as the eye can see in either direction. Its swept every morning by the team at Beaches so is always clean and fresh looking. The water itself is everything you imagine a Caribbean beach to be - warm, gentle waves lapping at the shore.Just writing this is making me wish I was there.

The resort was pretty quiet when we were there, which was fine for us as we got to be big kids on the water-slides. Everything is included at Beaches so we tried it all - Hobie-cat sailing (so much fun), paddle boarding, kayaking, water trykes - my fiance even tried the knee-boarding. We took advantage of the free scuba diving as well and headed out on the boat with Captain Charles in Charge. The diving was great too!

The food was the best I have ever had on vacation, even the buffet which sometimes gets a bit repetitive on holiday, not so in Negril! Plus there are so many a la carte restaurants you are never spolit for choice. A trip to Kimonos is a lot of fun!

I could go on and on about how wonderful this resort was - the people are incredible and always ready for a chat or just a smile if you're on your way out! Do try some excersions as this is beautiful island and the people are amazing. We visited a local school as part of a Sandals Foundation trip, which was brilliant!

Beaches and Sandals do seem a little pricey, but once you viist one you realise that every penny is worth it as you really do want for nothing on your holiday. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff there - we will definitely be returning as soon as we can!

Room Tip: The rooms are all lovely and have a treehouse feel to them!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Serena L
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have a terrefic trip to Beaches Negril.....all the staff was amazing....espacially Ian, Sania, Genette, Vincent, Devian, Diandra and Catherine.......you made our vacation a dream......be sure that we will come back next year.......thank you for being so kind to us......you made us all fall in love with Jamaica....genuine people kind and loving...we connected with the staff mentioned above and must say that all your staff should be awarded a price of excellence....everyone we pasted by saluted us and always asked us if everything was ok!!!!we thought that Disney knew what customer service was all about!!!!well Beaches Negril has proven to us that they are the best at customer servicexxxxxxthank you again.

1 Thank JeanFrancois4735
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just returned from wedding moon in Beaches, Negril, my husband and I would highly recommend it! It was not crowded (especially with kids for being a family friendly resort), the beach was amazing, staff pampers you, food & drinks are delicious and easy to get quickly. There was so much to do there! Free paddle boarding, kayaking, sailing, glass bottom boat tours, water slides, beach parties, etc.. Wedding planners were so accommodating. My family & friends loved it as well & we all want to do it again for many years to come!

The best part was that I barely had to do any calling/planning myself, I hooked up with BEACHBUMVACATION.com and my Beach Bum RACHEL did it all!!!!! We even had a phone conference with Rachel and the wedding planner at Beaches to ensure we we're all on the same page. I never had to lift a finger and that is just the way I wanted it! My husband & I were unsure of where we wanted to get married and Rachel picked the perfect spot for us, I am so thankful for her & Beach Bum Vacation.

Room Tip: I Wish Beaches would create Romeo & Juliet private honeymoon suites like at their sister resorts...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank AWARDRN87
Newark, Delaware, USA
Reviewed May 19, 2013

After spending time is Sandals Grand Riviera Ochos Rios, I thought I would not return to Jamaica. We tried Beaches Negril and loved it. I would go back there again, for sure. The resort was clean and the staff is friendly. There are plenty of food choice varieties for a 1-week vacation. There are plenty of activities and a beautiful beach. There could be more areas to sit around the pool. The room we were in could use new mattress and sofa sleeper, but the room was clean with a beautiful view. The room we stayed in could also be reorganized so the sleeper sofa faces the TV. They could also use 2 more dying racks on the balcony. Again, these are just some suggestions for improvement, but we love the resort and would return. WE HAD A GREAT TIME! Thanks to Kamelia & hostess from The Mill, The host & hostesses at all restaurants, bartender O'Neal, housekeepers & turn down service, and concierge staff.
The beach is beautiful with plenty of sunny or shady places to sit. Many locals trying to sell you stuff (from jewelry to adventure), but they don't bug you too much and there is plenty of beach security. Kids and adults love the water park. A few more hot tubs would be nice. We did the dolphin swim in Lucea and it was fun. 137.00 per adult and 119.00 per child, and $50.00 to just go in (I went to take pictures).

Room Tip: Pick the lowest level for for concierge service; the Honeymoon Grande Luxe Beachfront Concierge Room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!