“Kids said best trip of their lives”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Prosper, Texas
“Kids said best trip of their lives”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We were attending my wife's cousins wedding at Sandals Negril and since our kids could not stay at this couples only resort, we ended up staying at their sister resort down the beach for families. Beaches Negril offered a lot for everyone in our family. We have a 10 year old boy that made some new friends his age and spent pretty much the whole week at the water park. My 8 year old daughter wanted to spend her time at the kids camp and made friends instantly. We did everything we wanted to do. The staff was warm and friendly. The Jamaican Jerked Chicken was my lunch 5 days in a row and when we were leaving, the Winston hooked me up with a to go box for the bus ride to the airport. They had a circus act one of the nights which was amazing.

One thing to know: When they say Beachfront Suite, it really isn't a Beach Front Suite. It is more of a courtyard suite with a partial ocean view. (I attached pics of the view from our room) Try not to get in the building right next to Couples resort. We had music until 11:45 each night. We asked to be moved but the only other option was further down the same building. My recommendation is to save the money and not ask for a beachfront suite and get a suite with just concierge service. You really won't be in the room too much so why spend that extra money.

Room Tip: Try not to get in the building next to the Couples resort room 911 If you have younger kids. The st...
3 Thank Coach1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I had a great time. The staff was super amazing. There were a few staff who made the stay great. Most memoriable was a chef who made sure my dietary needs were met. Thanks Ralston service and meal was amazing. There were two bartenders who were especially kind and the fellows at the pool. I forgot to pick up my photos

• Stayed March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our first time to an all-inclusive and it was a wonderful experience. We traveled as a party of three, myself, husband and 12 year old daughter. The property is just breathtaking and immaculate. The beach was the most beautiful one I have seen. Crystal clear water. Snorkeling every day was beautiful. Ricardo was so much fun! The staff at this resort is top notch and is so helpful. Lucine did so much for us in getting us our adjoining rooms and our dinner reservations. Natasha was wonderful at the cabana for us. We miss everyone already. The Island Tours were great as well. So many activities to keep busy if that is what you are looking for. Food was delicious and plentiful. Worth every penny and will definitly be back!!! Tip: book dinner reservations as soon as you arrive, they are hard to get and the 900 block of rooms back up to Couples with loud music every night til 10:30 or so. the 400 block is great and centrally located. Concierge service is totally worth it!

2 Thank Heidi F
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Adrian Malcome was an excellent photographer! The wedding coordinators especially Tresh was fabulous! The staff was amazing and very friendly! My wedding was absolutely gorgeous And I had "No Worries!" I can't wait to visit Beaches Negril Jamaica again! My family, friends and I had a great time!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Tiffanndorty
Reviewed April 23, 2013

There was one entertainer, caffrrey who really made my trip for me, he went out of his was to make me feel like Jamaica was my home! Also Omar and Kenton were stone pretty entertaining guys. The bartender leggon was so hilarious! And all the staff go out of their was to remember your name and make you feel special!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mistyann916
Watertown, Connecticut
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We chose this resort because of it boast of being a true all inclusive resort. Booking nine months in advance we told the booking agent that we had three conditions. Our unit had to be beach front, it had to have three beds, at the very least a queen and two doubles, NO ROLL AWAY BEDS and had to be a smoke free resort. The booking agent said none of this was a problem but that we would have to book a suite which would increase the cost and that in booking a suite we would also have a free cruise for two and a 25 dollar credit to the spa. Now if its an all inclusive resort of course the cruise would be free anyway but why for only two people and why would we need a 25 dollar credit to the spa, hmmmmmm? So after booking to the tune of a five figure dollar amount everything was set. We left on a friday morning flying Carribean Air which we found to be a good airline to use. Upon arriving on the island we first had to go through immigration. Now for an island that depends on tourism these people make you feel like you are a pain in the neck and bothering them. Next was the customs agent which was a totally different experience because they made you feel welcome. Maybe its like the marines tear you down to build you up. We were then met by the beaches rep at the beaches lounge who had us place our luggage in a particular spot so that it would be sent to the right resort and then told to relax in the lounge until called. When we booked this we were told upon arrival the lounge would have refreshments, food, snacks and beer. What it did have was a soda fountain, a beer tap that poured foam and a broken coffee machine, no snacks, no food. About ten minutes later the rep called everyone out to go to the shuttle, we found every ones luggage had been loaded on carts which was attended by " red cap" luggage attendants, who the beaches rep informed us were not employees of beaches. Guess what that meant.....that's right you needed money to tip them, all inclusive? Directing us to the shuttle which were nothing more than a bunch of mini vans we loaded up and were off. On the drive to the resort the driver advised us that the shuttle was contracted by beaches and tips were accepted, again there's that all inclusive thing ? The island is very poor and that is evident on the ride to the resort so don't look for a tropical paradise until you get to the resort. Arriving at the resort check in was very quick and easy. we were told that because we had booked a suite that anything we wanted to do or have done would be handled by the concierge all we had to do was let them know. We were then escorted to our unit. Upon entering we found that you could see the beach from the front but it was not beach front and found there was one king bed one sofa bed and no other bedding. So out comes the roll away bed as the resort was full and there were no other rooms available. We would later find this to be untrue as you pretty much had the resort to yourself and in speaking to staff April is the slow time for them. The room fridge was stocked with beer, soda, water and that if we wanted any other liquor just let them know as it was all free of charge and would be restocked daily which it was. There was also a tray of assorted peanuts but we were told that anything we ate from this would have to be replaced and we would be charged for the replacements. (where again was this all inclusive????) As we were all tired from traveling we decided to make lemonade out of lemons and hit the bed early and get a fresh new start in the morning. WRONG! here's a hint DO NOT stay in the 900 block of rooms which are located right next to a couples resort (less than a stone's throw) cause every night live music. The next morning every one woke up with bug bites and we found the reason is that below the windows are wooded shutters that open and close except they do not close tight and there are no screens to keep the bugs out. The resort is older but is kept super clean and it evident that all the employees take pride in this. Went to the concierge to arrange for diving / snorkel trips and was told we would have to go to the dive shop to do this.( Guess that booking a suite really means we will tell you where to go to do this ) So off to the dive shop to book the trips which was no problem but I think these people must have been related to the immigration agent as they all seen like they had rattlesnake for breakfast. Not friendly at all. There are plenty of water sports but any of the motorized ones are only done a couple hours each day and not all day so you get a few minutes use. The diving equipment is old and worn and in need of replacement. The diving is fair. Be prepared if you are with a group that took the resort course cause you are going to sit on the bottom using up 500 psi while they take a group photo. Now 500 psi is not a lot unless you have to come up at 1000 psi which is what they require. About the third day we were informed that the resort would be fogging for insects at 6:30pm and that for safety all guest should remain indoors with all windows and doors closed. Think about this, you are in a room that has shutters that do not seal, of all the places to eat only two are enclosed indoors the rest are all open air and dinner at the resort starts at 6:00pm, is there something wrong with this photo or is it just me. We found that the resturants had dress codes but that they were not enforced which is a good thing as you are on vacation and who wants to get dress up. We also found that smoking was allowed but thankfully most guest were family's and didn't smoke. One thing you really have to be aware of is DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT be in your room in your birthday suit or getting busy because the staff will knock and before they even finish knocking they are opening and coming through the door. The beaches are wonderful the water clear and warm and the hawkers numerous but are kept under control by hotel security which is plentiful. If you do take advantage of the hawkers don't let them put anything on you just to see if it fits cause the second it's on they want their money it's on you, you bought it. And always argue price cause what ever it is you can get it for a quarter of what they want. The gift shop is pretty well stocked. Being from the states and not knowing the rule for air travel out of the island we inquired at the gift shop how much rum could we bring home and were told we were allowed two liters that had to be packed in our carry on so it could be inspected when leaving the country. Ok great. Well guess what, when we left and went through airport security a $100 dollars of rum went in the garbage. When we told them the hotel assured us this was ok the security agent who also must have had rattlesnake for breakfast told us the hotels "don't know nothing" ....guess not. Now it seem like a lot of negative but we saved a long time to take this kind of vacation and for a $10,000 price tag it should have been a lot better. I'm not saying it was all bad because it had many good points. Would I go to this resort again YES, would I tell others to go YES just not for that kind of price. With out a doubt the strongest factor that would make us return is the staff. THEY MAKE THIS RESORT. We have stayed many places and the staff here are by far the most friendly and warmest people you will ever find. You are not just a guest to them, you are a close friend and when you leave that's just how you will feel, like you are leaving a close friend. In particular if going snorkeling Big Rick, Gilligan and Skelator are the best. And should you have the great luck to be at the main pool bar when Lorenzo and Leggon are there working together sit back and relax cause you are in for a treat. I promise you that by the end of the day your head will want to split open from laughing so hard. The staff is really the gold mine of this resort and they get a two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the 900 block. Too much noise at night
1 Thank EdR6
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Beaches/Sandals. After returning to Sandals La Toc last year for 10 year anniversary we booked our family trip at the "Soon Come Back" desk. We had heard and read rave reviews about Beaches Negril. It didn't disappoint for the most part. It is a quaint property from what Boscobel and La Toc. That was a good thing. The kids had a blast. Our oldest spent much more time in camp than she ever did at Boscobel.

The staff was the best minus housekeeping. That is our only complaint. Housekeeping got worse through the week. It started out with the room being cleaned earlier in the day with a turn down in the evening. Halfway through the week, cleaning was not happening until much later, and combined with turn down. Boscobel actually had much better housekeeping 4 years ago.

Staff that I have to mention... first of all Oshain at the water park bar. That dude takes care of you! It was great talking with him, and people like that make you feel at home. Richard who is charge of the theater bar was like a bartender back home in the states. When you could stop by to get away from it all, he would talk with you all day long. I was very happy I was able to catch him at the last minute before we left. I'm not sure what his title is, but I would assume Courtney is part of management. On my second day, I was trying to find my way to Concierge office as I got myself lost and he noticed. He took me there, and remembered me every single day and asked how things were going. Last but not least, Arica. We saw her mostly in the Pavilion during breakfast, but she would show up anywhere. I started watching my back so she wouldn't sneak up on me.

The only reason we wouldn't come back immediately is to try other Beaches properties. You can't go wrong here. The grounds were immaculate and food was pretty good overall for a large property. It is all about expectations.

Room Tip: 800 block of Savannah we could hear the music from next door IF sitting outside on a Saturday. Not...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!