“Amazing Beaches Vaca”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just returned from Beaches Negril, making this the 4th time to this resort! We love it there! We have 2 children (17 and 12) and the size and activities at this resort are perfect for our family. It is so fun to arrive at the resort and re-unite with a lot of the same staff as the years past. Courtney, Novia and Dorrette are so sweet welcoming us with hugs and Dorrette commenting on how are girls have grown (remembering them years ago in kids camp.) The scuba diving is amazing with an awesome big dive boat. The dive staff is very helpful with Craig and Samuel being extra amazing. Fun was had by all with Oneil at the Stewfish beach bar! The watersport guys made the beach extra exciting, especially Alton and Tyron! Our daughter had her senior pictures taken by the amazing Antwayne! He was so patient and took unbelievable pictures that will be keepsakes forever!! The girls met so many teenagers, thanks to the entergetic Fasha and Nicholas with the teen club. They know how to unite kids and make freindships! When we were leaving, they arranged for the kids to meet us at the front desk to give hugs and say good bye. Fasha even gave our girls a special gift! Truly amazing! The food at the resort keeps getting better each year, it is delicious with a lot of variety! We were also impressed with how the managers are accessible and truly interested in the guest's comfort. Kendra, with the Sandals Foundation, has been so helpful giving to the locals and community. We have had the privilage of working with her for 3 years. We are already counting the days until next year when we will be back to see our friends at Beaches Negril!

3  Thank heyitsjen
There are newer reviews for Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Kids- This is a great resort for families. We have four children ages 15, 13, 11 and 7. Our kids are not into "Kids Club's" so we cannot comment on that as they did not attend. If we wanted a vacation free of our kids we would leave them at home. We were on vacation as a family so we played as a family. Our kids enjoyed the X-Box room and mini golf. Our girls 11 and 7 participated in the crafts at an addiitonal charge. SIMONE at the craft station was wonderful. (Worth the money, especially the scrap booking...only $22.00) I would not recomend this resort for Couples. This is a FAMILY resort and if you do not have kids you may not appreciate it. Go to Sandles if you are taking a kid free retreat.

Food - The food is very good as far as all-inclusives are concerned. We enjoyed the Italian and Japanese resturants. We also ate dinner a couple of times at Arizona's which is good too. The buffet is a buffet and we avoid those other than breakfast. The pool side grill is very good and open until 3am. There is food available 24/7 and the staff are very friendly. Our daughters enjoyed several ice cream cones per day! Beaches takes extra care to have plenty off food and snacks around. You will not go hungary and may even arrive home heavier.

Beaches - The beach is off the hook. One of the best in the world. There are plenty of beach chairs so no worries finding that perfect locaiton. (you can move chairs around too) Towels are an issue. For a 5 star resort this was the only minor blip. Most of the fresh towels stands are empty all day. There are several towel stands throughout the resort. After a couple of days you may know where to look. In any event this is a matter that Beaches needs to address. Not having towels available at the beach during daylight hours is unacceptable. With that said we managed to find fresh towels daily, it simply took some creativity and patience. The local vendors selling "Jetski's and Parasailing" are somewhat annoying. Best advice is to tell them "NO" on day one and then they leave you alone. They are not allowed to approach you and the hotel security is on them immediatlely if they do chat you up. This is really a non-issue as the resort does an amazing job of controlling these guys. If you can afford the 125.00 rent a cabana for the day. It is off the charts good. The best 125.00 we ever spent! DAMIEN was our Cabana boy and he did a very good job. Props to him!

Rooms- The rooms are excellent. We were in Santa Cruz Building. This was a very good area to be. The rooms are the cleanest we have ever stayed in. The housecleaners are friendly and attentive. The rooms are small but very good. We rented three rooms with two connecting. We had two kids in each room and a room for oursleves. I would spend the extra money for additional rooms versus jamming in with teenagers. We had conceirge room category. This is a very good service. Any thing we needed they looked after. Our in room bar was well stocked and huge thanks to RICARDO who looked after our special requirement of Coke Zero and Water!

Water Sports - There is tons to do. It is all included which is nice. Go the first day so you undertand the process. It is really quite easy to get involved and rent equipment. It is very handy having all this available at no extra fee.

TIPS - Beaches does not allow tipping. This was very strange for us to get used to. You have all these staff going out of their way to please you and instinctively you want to tip. They will not accpet a tip. You never need any money on this resort. It was fabulous, but at times you feel guilty, but we loved it! (FYI- You need to tip the transport guy that takes you to and from the airport.)

Store - Our boys suit case was lost by SUNWING Air. We went to the Beaches gift shop to buy cloths. They did not have much that fits a 13 year old. This was not ideal and I think the store could have a wider selection of swim trunks. If you have your luggage this is not an issue. The problem is not much in Negril so if you lose your luggage and you are relying on the resort store to get you through. Otherwise the store has everything you require.

In summary, we would go back for sure. We did notice that there were some complainers. I am not sure what would actually please these people?? We were told that most complaints and poor reviews would be from American's and oddly enough this was the case. If you came as a couple to this family resort I would get that, but if you like families this resort has nothing to complain about! Respect Mon!

8  Thank HLDYKNG
Reviewed February 21, 2013

A group of 18 (9 couples) spent a week at this resort and had the time of our lives! The place was not only beautiful and had many wonderful ammenities but the staff there made it that much more fun. We didn't experience any staff that weren't great, but a few were EXCEPTIONAL, especially Lorenzo C; Nordell; Opal; Terrance and OShayne. Kudos to those staff members because they made this very memorable and a destination that we hope to return to VERY soon!

Very clean, exceptional food and drink and the hospitality and care of the staff is beyond anything we've experieinced.

Room Tip: Honestly, we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, too much to do! I find it hard to believe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue L
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just returned from our trip with our son and his family to Beaches Negril and as usual it was another great trip! This was our fourth stay at a Beaches resort, having stayed twice at Beaches Turks & Caicos and once at Boscobel. We enjoyed this one the most mainly because the resort was a bit smaller. Everything was in close proximity to the beach which meant if we wanted to use any of the facilities, water park or sports or go back to our rooms we didn't have to walk far. As has been our experience at all our stays in Beaches or Sandals, the staff was excellent and most accomodating. I would highly recommend Beaches for families or Sandals for couple to anyone looking for a most enjoyable, relaxing vactaion. Since my wife and I have been frequent guest of Sandals we earned our free week and plan on returning next year to Jamaica for probably a 10 day stay at Sandals.

Room Tip: I would recommend for couples traveling to this resort, reserve a room with a king size bed. I made...
5  Thank Bob K
Reviewed February 21, 2013

There is a lot to like here - the staff is friendly, the rooms are nice and everything is kept very clean. But comparing it to my experience at Club Med last year (on a different island), which is less expensive, I really don't know what I paid extra for at the end of the day. The service is very poor and disorganized, even though everyone is friendly. The food is atrocious - I survived on the pizza bar at the big pool and pasta dishes, but basically I ate because I have to in order to survive. I have a two year old daughter, and while the kids activities for older kids may be fine, for younger kids, I was a little disappointed. The week I was there, the main play room was closed part of the time for some reason, and they had the kids in a hot converted hotel room with no toys - it was not an acceptable place and they surely could have found somewhere else. They were not taken outside very much at all - so I really didn't use the kids' facilities as much as I thought I would. I thought the kids club at Club Med superior. Yes, the Sesame Street characters were great with a show every night and plenty of access, but every time they showed up, the push to buy product was a little obnoxious. There were also a lot of guests walking around with Big Gulp to go cups that they had the bartenders fill with alcohol starting at about 9 in the morning - again, I didnt see that sort of clientele at other resorts either. The family pool was very small for the amount of people using it, and I have seem much better facilities (although I admit the lazy river was a nice touch). My overall point being, I paid more to go to this Beaches over other resorts, and I am not sure what I got for it, so I would not go back.

6  Thank A D
Reviewed February 21, 2013

December 7-14, 2012, my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful vacation at Beaches Negril. What a great staff, spectacular and beautiful room (we had 928, if I re-call correctly…end room, beach view, third floor of the last Montpelier building). We booked the concierge level, and our room was magnificent. The extensive renovations that had obviously been undertaken made for a really beautiful, clean, and pleasant room.

We rented a Cabana on the beach for several of the days, and we were overwhelmed by the attention and care received from staff: Natasha was FANTASTIC! No one on that whole property could match her joy, her composure, the way she constantly looked for ways to take care of us and make our experience a once-in-a-lifetime event. She went out of her way on several occasions to make us feel at home, meet our needs and fulfill our requests. We travel a lot—many cruises, the Ritz Carlton at Montego Bay, many resorts across the US , Europe, and the Caribbean—and I can enthusiastically report that Natasha is among the best attendants we have ever had the privilege to meet.

Further, one of the pool bartenders name Opal was also very responsive to our needs and was helpful all week in a very impressive way.

One other person who really took special note of us was a young woman who assisted when Natasha was gone one day; her name was June, and although she’s young, she was certainly enthusiastic in taking care of us.

The Arizona’s restaurant was really good, and the service was great--who'd believe you could get such great barbecue ribs in Jamaica?!

Delicious food and attentive service at the spiffiest restaurant (The Venetian)—although very loud for such a lovely setting.

Kimono’s—well, one should probably not have very high expectations for a Japanese Hibachi experience in Jamaica, I suppose. The food was adequate, the desserts forgettable. Mediocre overall, but we went away full.

We waited too long to discover the absolute BEST dining experience at the resort: Stewfish. I’m disappointed with myself for not remembering the name of the two most excellent staff members who made our meals there exquisite: one was a manager at breakfast, and she went above-and-beyond to actually bring in sorrel fruit from her back yard so we could see what it looked like, how the juice was made, and thoroughly enjoy that delightful Christmas treat. The other staff member there was a middle aged gentleman (I’m thinking Len or Les??)—a thoughtful and refined caregiver who was successfully intent on making our ocean-side dining a fabulous experience.

These, and several other experiences we had in dining, entertainment, and on the beach were terrific…however, the rest of the story is equally interesting:

The day we left the resort, and before we arrived at the airport, we realized that we had left our Apple iPhone 4S on the counter in the bathroom. We knew exactly where it was, because we had plugged it in to charge while we packed. This wasn’t a case of “I’m not sure where my phone is.” It was plugged in next to the right-hand sink in the bathroom area.

The front desk immediately responded that they didn’t have our phone (I’m not sure how they could have known this so quickly, since it didn’t appear that they took the time to even look in a lost-and-found area). We asked, and they eventually complied, that someone go check the room again. When we arrived at the Atlanta airport a couple of hours later, we received a call back saying that they went to the room, found no phone, and asked the new guests—who also had not seen the phone. My brother and his family were still at the resort throughout this, and they also inquired on our behalf at the desk, to no avail. So we left it alone, disappointed in ourselves for leaving the phone in the room, and in Beaches' staff for not returning it.

When we returned to the US, we replaced the phone and thought to move on .

Imagine our surprise when I went to disable the old phone on line, and found it active. And my shock when I logged into my wife’s Skype account (which can be accessed on the SmartPhone), and found that her user name had been changed to “Phillip,” who listed his location as Jamaica and included a Jamaican flag icon. This was followed by incredulity at finding her profile picture had been replaced with the photo of a yourng Jamaican man swathed in cigarette smoke!

At this point I sent a note to Customer Service, explaining the great week we had, but that our ability to provide positive feedback depended on their response to this situation. I also sent them the picture in the phone. In short order, the General Manager of Beaches Negril called me to report that they had identified the young man in the photo, and were trying to retrieve the phone. Over the course of the next two weeks, he kept me regularly updated on their progress. Although they were unsuccessful in actually getting my phone back, they decided at the end of the affair to refund the full cost of a new iPhone to our account. Mr. Whitehead's genuine interest in and regret concerning the whole deal restored my enthusiasm for Beaches. He was helpful without being maudlin, and responsive without being pesky. I'm a bit anxious yet about the fact that my phone is still floating around, but Beaches did everything they could to be responsive to my complaint.

Go to Beaches Negril. Be mindful of security issues around personal property...book the beach cabana, and enjoy the food and 7 mile beach!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to get an ocean view. Quiet early mornings on the private deck are great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brent S
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I absolutely love this place. The staff is absolutely amazing. I can can't say enough positive things about it. Tanya and Fasha did a great job of including our four year old daughter and seven year old son in all of the resort entertainment activities. Courtney makes you feel like you have known him for years. What an incredible, hard working man. Thank you for all of your hospitality. Kemar with the beach maintenance was also exceptionally friendly. We went to Negril about a month ago. Yesterday, my seven year old son informed us at dinner that he was going to move to Jamaica when he turned eighteen. When we asked him what he was going to do there, he told us that he was going to play tennis. Considering that he has never had the opportunity to play tennis in the USA yet, I would say that Colman, the resort tennis pro, did an exceptional job of forging a relationship with him and creating a love of a new sport for him. We went to the Beaches resort in Turks and Caicos three years ago and while that resort is beautiful, it couldn't compare to the amazing service and genuine relationships that are cultivated at the Negril resort. We are counting down the days until we return. BEST TRIP EVER!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Erin O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!