“The Good, The Bad, the Truth”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Bowman, North Dakota
“The Good, The Bad, the Truth”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from Beaches Negril with my family which consists of my wife and I and two children ages 13 and 10. We spent 9 nights there. My wife and I have previously stayed at 3 different Sandals resorts in Jamaica. I had read what I could on tripadvisor before we booked this resort and now I want to give my two cents to help others with their choice.

The GOOD:
The beach, the staff (other than one issue which I will get to later), the water sports for kids our ages, the Italian restaurant, nurse on staff, the weather, the housekeeper that worked around our son being ill for two days, and the cleanliness.

The BAD:
The Japanese restaurant, guys walking the beach trying to sell shells, cigarettes etc., the small beds, worn out table on our deck, road noise, not enough food choice for 9 nights, the "upgrade" that never happened and the cost

The TRUTH:
I am still rating the resort a 4 since my family had a wonderful time here. The water sports for us was great. We waterskiid, which they took the time to teach and refresh us, snorkeled even though coral and fish not even close to as good as Sandals Montego Bay in my opinion, Hobie Cats, canoes, surfboards, banana boat, Wild cat tube, and of course just swimming. Other than a few things available, the entertainment for kids our ages was really lacking. It is for surely more geared toward younger kids for entertainment. There also is really no adult entertainment like we are used to from Sandals.

The food was good overall, even though after that many days you just see the same things over and over. The chefs at the Japanese restaurant were not at all entertaining, although the food was great there (chefs at similar places near home are far more entertaining--all ours did was cook). We did really enjoy the Italian place and the Arizona. Yet again, if you are staying that long you end up ordering the same things since there are such few restaurants.

My biggest complaints involve the so-called upgrade and the small beds. I had been told repeatedly when i booked to make sure and ask for an upgrade as soon as we arrived since we are a sandals select member. It was the first thing I did when we got there but was told no one was there at reservations to do that because we got there about 5:30. REALLY?!?! So we went to our room knowing that was going to suck to have to move everything in the morning again. Anyway I did just that, I went to reservations in morning right away and asked for our upgrade and they showed me a room that was slightly bigger and had a pull out couch and ocean view which wasn't that much of an improvement that I could see. Back to reservations and then they told me it would cost me around $2000 to do that upgrade and I just laughed at them. Then they came down to $1700 and I still laughed. The upgrade was supposed to be at no cost (and it is supposed to be as a sandals select member as the lady in that office told me the last day when I visited with her). How can that even happen at this type of resort????? So as you can see we kept our original room and didn't get what we deserved. Anyway, if you are going to these resorts to get a very nice room it isn't going to happen. There just aren't any for a reasonable price. The two beds in these rooms are SMALL. We have stayed at Westin Hotels for 2-300 per night that put these rooms to shame (and yes I know it is about location) but I am just trying to prove a point. Having said that my wife and I alone have never cared that much about the type of room as long as it was quite at night as we are out on beach all day anyway--but when traveling with kids we found it is a different story when the beds are so small. So my advice is to be persistent if you had been told you are eligible for an upgrade and go to the Soon Come Back desk to do so (even though there is no reason you should have to do that when paying that type of money per day at such a resort) and be prepared to sleep real close together!

Now even though it doesn't sound like we had a good time, we did, but I would rather know about the "bads" when choosing a resort from a review as the resort does a plenty good job selling the "goods".

Hope this helps someone!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank notiller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,188)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Travelled to Beaches to attend my daughters wedding on 12/12/12. From the minute
we arrived we felt welcome . The staff were all wonderful. The wedding day was
amazing and so well coordinated/ nothing to worry about and the setting was
breathtaking. Thankyou so much to the resort staff for making our vacation
and family celebration one we will never forget.

Room Tip: Santa Cruz was a great area for our rooms. Quiet yet close to everything. Would highly recommend th...
3 Thank Lorraine729
Jersey-Channel Islands
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We were initially a little apprehensive about staying in an all inclusive resort that catered for families (We have always previously opted for independent, more adventurous travel) However we loved our experience at Beaches Negril and unheard of for us......we 've booked to return next Christmas even before we have returned home!
In addition, there is a lot of apprehension in the UK about safety issues in Jamaica. We can say that we never once felt unsafe. The resort is very secure but we also did a fair bit of independent travel and found everyone to be very hospitable and friendly.

Our family consists of ourselves and two teenagers (17 &19) so we didn't need any of the kids activities but we weren't suited to the Sandals/couples type of resort.
We had been slightly concerned that there may be too much young kids 'stuff', however despite the fact the resort caters really well for young kids, it is so cleverly designed that there are plenty of areas where adults can relax in peace and quiet.
The beach is stunning. There are ample numbers of sun beds with no excessive sun bed hogging!
The water sports centre has everything you could wish for. Unlimited Waterskiing, hobbiecats, paddle boards, wind surfers, snorkelling trips, glass bottomed boat trips and also unlimited scuba. The snorkelling and scuba were good with a surprising number of fish and a really wide variety of reefs and all really accessible with a 15 min boat trip.
We were blown away by the Jamaican hospitality. The staff were truly exceptional, whether they were serving drinks, food or cleaning the rooms they were ALWAYS smiling and unbelievably friendly and helpful. Nothing was ever too much trouble.

The food was varied and genuinely unlimited. We loved the stew fish seafood restaurant on the beach where we regularly ate breakfast and dinner, however we tried all the restaurants. The Italian (Seville) serves great food, the Japanese (kimono) serves a good tepanyaki with a Jamaican twist to chef entertainment!
The abundance of cocktail bars serve an unlimited variety of cocktails, wines, beer and even champagne on request. There is nothing the bar tenders can't mix and they do it with real flair.
There are quiet spots located throughout the resort where you can sit at any time of day or night. The sun sets are stunning and there is nightly entertainment and clubs.

Security on the beach is well managed too. A limited number of local hawkers from Negril walk along the waters edge hoping to sell their wares, anything from jet skiing, parasailing and horse rides to conch shells and jewellery . It appears as if they are not allowed to approach you directly while on the resort beach unless you are at the waters edge. They know the rules and abide by them. They are not unduly pushy and always very friendly. Interaction with the locals selling their wares can be as much or little as you choose once you understand the rules!

Our teenagers had .... In their words 'the best holiday ever' .For teenagers it's paradise, plenty of entertainment, enough other teenagers and guests in their early 20's to play beach volleyball with and a brilliant ENT team whose remit is to ensure teenagers get involved.
We were barely in our rooms other than to sleep but for those who enjoy screen entertainment, every room has an Xbox 360 and large TV. The minibar is topped up with soft drinks daily and there is nothing more you could ask for.
All the staff were fantastic but Shanequa, Oshea Jermaine Archer leroy oneal and probably 5 others deserve a special mention and thanks .

Was it 100% perfect? No not quite!
If I could find anything at all to complain about it would be......the daily printed schedule states that water skiing is available from 7.30am. As keen skiers we were always up and hopeful that we'd get to experience skiing on the flat millpond sea..... But the skiing rarely started before 9am. Not a major problem....perhaps as we were on holiday we should have adjusted to Jamaican time and been in bed at 7.30am, but when you are somewhere as beautiful as Beaches Negril you can't waste the day in bed!
The only other criticism is the noise from the road for the bedrooms on the back. We were there over the busy Christmas period and were woken on a couple of occasions by noisy motorbikes flying past the resort in the early hours. The rooms themselves are great and we have no critism of rhe comfort or size. our rating of 4 relates purely to the traffic but you get what you pay for, The back rooms were cheaper than the front facing ocean view rooms. The occasional noisy motorbike was not such a problem that we wouldn't book the same rooms again, however if you are a light sleeper who once woken can't get back to sleep you should request a room at the front.

Nowhere is perfect...... But this was pretty close.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Zoola2000
Glis
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The service at this hotel is excellent. Especially the restaurant at the beach was great in the evening. The atmosphere and also the service exceeded our expectations. Leroy's service we have never seen before and and also the barkeeper Ancher was were friendly. We had a lot of fun with those people and we were listing to the things they told us about living in Jamaica. Overall, the food in the 7 restaurants was very good. All people at the this hotel were friendly and was very well looking for their guests. Also the event with the drummers was cool.
The beach was great, too. It is worth to book this hotel. We walked the whole 7 Miles beach but no other hotel except Couples Swept Away had such a nice beach.
It is also worth to go for the excursion for the YF Falls, the black river and the Appleton Estate.

Neckermann was a catastrophe: Something did not worked with our credit card. So we were wrongly instructed from the hotline and had to pay all at the airport. So we had problems to get the plane. After our return, we get a dunning letter! We had to sent the receipt to the fin ace department from Neckermann. For the reservations, we were not able to book a hotel because there was no free rooms. But there were very few people there when we spend our vacation in this hotel. We will never again travel with Neckermann.
About Condor: To pay headset and peanuts in the plane, is that customer service? Also Condor we will avoid in the future if ever possible.

Room Tip: Not near from the disco and the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had my wedding here on 12/12/12. Over all it was an amazing experience. First for the down side. Not everything offered to us in the wedding package was available. The catamaran does not belong to the resort and we were not able to get the ride promised us. Also, we had guests at Sandals as well as Beaches and were told before travel that as long as there are no children at Sandals we would be able to utilize both resorts. After getting there we were told that Sandals can use Beaches but Beaches can not use Sandals. That being said, Daniella did get us a one night pass for a select group to see our guests who were staying at Sandals. Finally, they will tell you before you go that tipping is not allowed on the resort but you can tip drivers, and the people that run the excursions at your discretion. What they do not tell you is that, with the exception of one, these people will insist on the tip.

Now for the positives, It is beautiful and clean. The people on the resort are the friendliest I've ever met. Always a smile, a hello. Quick to see to all of your needs and wants with the nicest disposition. I have a list of a few that stood out among the rest. Not to discredit the others but on this particular trip I wanted to acknowledge their efforts to make our weddingmoon the best!

We want to say Thank You to:

Chef Willard at Kimonos
Akelah at Kimonos
Dian & Camille for our couple massage,
Kerisha at Stewfish
and a very large and heartfelt thank you to Nicolette our wedding photographer. She was fantastic and we are thankful we got her.

Mrs. Donna Kreider

3 Thank Dmr716
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We took our kids who are "older" than typical for what we saw on the website (Sesame Street character breakfasts, etc.) so were a little apprehensive if it would be too childish. They are 28, 20, 18 and 16; but this is the only option in the Sandals resorts which is where my husband and I usually stay. Everyone, including the 28-year old, had a blast. The staff, especially the water sports people, took extra effort in making this the best week we have spent together. Lucian taught them how to sail the Hobie Cat, and they spent hours on the water in it. Nickoy and Richardo took them to a cave during a snorkeling trip and showed them so many interesting things and taught them things (which starfish is dead and which is still alive, etc.) they never would have experienced in a typical snorkeling trip. We were also somewhat concerned since the drinking age in Jamaica is 18, and we had 3 under 21, our legal drinking age. The bartenders, though, were fantastic. Oneil and Ned did a great job with all the kids and we didn't have a single unpleasant episode concerning drinking. They were incredibly fun and the kids felt as if they were friends and really enjoyed just sitting and chatting with them. We had two Butlers, Novia and Conrad, who were very enjoyable. They took excellent care in setting up our beach area each day, taking care of our needs and making sure we stayed fed. We went fishing one day, and the Butlers made sure we had a cooler of drinks and food along with towels to take with us. Conrad also made arrangements for a personalized birthday cake for me our last evening meal which was fantastic. Novia was great with the kids, and is quite the dancer! The Butlers were also very helpful when we had an injury that required a trip to the resort clinic. One thing different from the other Sandals, the food is catering to a different type of crowd. It definitely is more kid-focused, which we figured would be the case with a family-oriented resort. Do prepare yourself for parents that allow their kids to run wild - not all, but just a few "too relaxed" parents seem like a lot. Get used to kids running up to the buffets and picking through food unsupervised with their fingers. Also, kids seem to rule on the sidewalks - if you don't move out of their way you will get run over. We watched a very odd and uncomfortable balloon-animal sword fight between two boys 5 or 6 years old (one was most-likely American and the other was Middle Eastern) that the two different parents were encouraging and assisting in!!! This took place in the major walkway at the beach party dining area. The resort can't be blamed, though, for bad parenting. The rooms were phenomenal, very roomy and the beds were quite comfortable. We had a three bedroom Butler suite with four bathrooms. This ended up being four adjoining rooms - a two-bed room/bathroom, then a "living room" with two pull-out couches and bathroom, a king-bed room/bathroom, and our room with a king bed, large seating area with couch and chair, and bathroom. Our only complaint was the lighting - the bathroom was so dim I wasn't quite sure if I was actually putting mascara on my eyelashes or my eyebrows. One thing of special note, the beach security was excellent. The security guards handled the beach vendors (and there are quite a few) in a very discreet and professional manner. There is a line that the vendors know not to cross, and when they do, Security is there immediately. Security also checks you out when you leave the resort (even walking down the beach) and check you back in when you return. We walked down to Margaritaville (about a 10 minute stroll) and had a great time there for a change of pace. We still prefer Sandals for the adults-only atmosphere, but if you want to bring kids (regardless of age) this is an excellent option. We planned this trip for a year and left very satisfied with the resort.

1 Thank Margi S
Fort Nelson, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2012

So, we married on 12/12/12... this is our second time to the resort, and the first time we went in Dec 2009, we loved it so much we chose to get married at Beaches Negril as we wanted to invite our family and friends to experience the luxury and true vacation. We have 2 children, age 10 & 13, and even our teenager wasnt bored!

This resort has it all, there was 27 people in our group, and not one negative remark. Amazing people, amazing service, amazing weather, food and beach! But, most importantly, this was the best wedding anybody could have asked for! At, first, I thought I couldn't afford a Sandals/Beaches wedding by Martha Stewart, but the cost was much less than what it would have costed in to do a hometown receception, and we got a honeymoon built in! But, by far the most important details:
1) no stress, the wedding coordinator did everything for us
2) expectional service
3) unbeliveable pictures and video
4) a welcome home feeling on belonging... hospitality beyond your expectations

Words cannot describe this resort - its got it all, and if you need something, all you gotta do is ask, and its not only because we had a wedding, we had the same service the first time we went there too.

Unfortunately I ended up with a kidney infection while on vacation, and had to visit the on-site nurse, which resulted in a VERY fast service from an on-call doctor, I was treated on site, and quickly fixed!

This resort goes over and beyond each day, making your vacation, from hour to hour exciting, with an overabundance of activities, so that you will never have to leave the resort, in fact our first 8 day vacation, we didnt leave the resort, because we didnt have to... this second 10 day trip, we ventured to see the sunset at Ricks Cafe, and partook in a cliff dive, also, took my daughter and our friends to swim with dolphins, stingrays, and sharks at the Dolphin Cove, which was so worth the money... but again, there is no reason to have to leave, its definately your home away from home, and we cannot wait to save our pennies to return.

Its expensive, but EVERYTHING is included, no tips accepted! So, everyone is treated equal. In the past we've visited Mayan Riveria all inclusive, but couldnt get a drink unless we were waving $, this is not the case here... that staff call you on a first name basis and treat you and your children as there own family.....

We love and miss so many good people at the resort - especially:
our wedding coordinator- Tresh and all the wedding dept
guest relations - Daniela
guest relations - Courtney
our cabana butler - "D"
our fry cook - Winston
most amazing PHOTOGRAPHER in the world - Antwayne
our beverage managers - Marlon
our friend, main ma and beverage manager - Damion

We miss you all! Cannot wait to return.... I have found the place that got it all, I dont even want to try anywhere else!

Dont listen to any bad reviews, if you dont like something, this resort will ensure to make it better!

Mr & Mrs Burgess

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
The Caves
The Caves
#5 of 85 in Negril

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!