Myself, my husband, and our 4 year old daughter stayed at Beaches Negril the first week in September. To level set, I have stayed at six separate Sandals locations and this was our third Beaches location. Overall the vacation was great. There were two things that happened on this trip that have never happened to us on a Sandals/Beaches trip before, so I feel them worth mentioning:
1. In the lazy river, you have the option to ride a tube or wear a life jacket. Our daughter preferred the life jacket so she could feel like she was swimming. They had a few kid sized life jackets there; my daughter preferred the smallest one because it fit the best. On the second day of our stay, we went to put the same life jacket on our daughter and the watersports lady working the lazy river told us “that life jacket is for babies, use this one”… the one she handed us was obviously for older children. So she gave our child the oversized life jacket and another kid behind us the one my daughter needed. Half way around the lazy river, our daughter starts crying and screaming because the life jacket is coming up to her ears, she can’t see, much less swim. My Husband nicely asks the watersports’ lady for the smaller life jacket and she starts arguing with him. Saying that the life jacket was for babies and she has to use the bigger one. My Husband read the weight requirements on the smallest life jacket and it clearly said for children up to 23KG, which our daughter is 20KG. She still argued with him. My Husband said “can’t you see her crying”. The watersports’ lady seemed not to care that our daughter was obviously miserable. I then announced that I was going to go find the watersports’ manager and started to get out of the river, and then the watersports’ lady said she will give us the smaller life jacket when the other person returned it. Finally, the other person returned it and my daughter was happy again. I must say, I was beyond disappointed with this. In all my trips to Sandals/Beaches, I have NEVER had to argue with an employee and feel like I needed to go talk to their manager. HUGE disappointment. Luckily, the rest of the watersports staff was great. The lady who worked the top of the waterslides was GREAT and ensured everyone had a safe trip down the waterslides. The guys on the beach were excellent! They made sure everyone safely got to participate in the activities they were interested in. The glass bottom boat ride was great! The watersports staff was very patient pointing out the wildlife. I recommend going more than once during your stay! We saw a sea turtle, rays, colorful fish, sand dollars, and starfish.
2. One night we had just fallen asleep around 11pm when LOUD music started playing from the room next door. I knew a family had been in that room earlier in the week, but they had checked out. I knew no one else had checked into that room. I called the front desk and told them the music from that room was too loud and could they please send someone. The first person I got on the phone did nothing and my Husband had to go over there. A guy answered the door and he turned down the music, but it was still too loud to sleep. So, I called the front desk again and got a different person. This person was much more helpful. He checked the hotel records, and told me no one should be in that room. I told him there most certainly was someone in that room and they shouldn’t be, so could he please send someone. This time I heard the phone in the other room ring, so I know they were trying to contact the person in the room. The person in the room did not answer. They did send someone this time, the person left, and the noise stopped. The person I had spoken with (the second person) called me back to make sure everything was okay. This was great customer service. Should have just happened with the first person I spoke with. I am glad it was resolved with the second call. Not sure how someone who did not belong got into that room. Hopefully management figured it out and closed that gap.
Both of these issues weren’t detrimental to our vacation. And, eventually they were resolved. They were impactful enough that I thought to mention them here because Beaches management needs to be aware of what is going on.
Now, to the good things:
1. The restaurants – definitely the VERY BEST service we have received at any Sandals/Beaches location. The staff in all the restaurants were excellent. A shout out to Dameon at Seville – you have a beautiful smile and my daughter loved how you would carry things on your head! You provided excellent service! The staff at Kimono’s were amazing. Definitely make a reservation and eat at Kimono’s. The staff consists of some great singers who will definitely entertain. Plus the food was great. My husband and I are both vegetarian, which can sometimes present a problem. Not here. There is a culinary desk in the “great room”. Each morning after breakfast, I would stop by and tell the person manning the desk which restaurant we would like to eat in and what time… also if I had requests for what we wanted for dinner she would write them down. At dinner time, we would arrive at the restaurant and our food would be ready for us. This is the first Sandals/Beaches location where we have had this luxury. It was awesome. To the chef at Stewfish who made us the vegan steak – it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The spring rolls at Kimono’s were excellent too. The tiramisu at Seville is delicious! The guys who worked the grill were great. Try the Jamaican patties!!! TIP – If anyone in your party has any sort of dietary needs – be sure to visit the culinary desk in the morning and they will take care of it for you. You do need to have an idea of where you want to eat and what time. I do want to reiterate here that most of my biggest complaints of the other Sandals/Beaches properties is how long you have to wait for food/drinks… not at all an issue here. The staff was top notch and we hardly had to wait for anything! Five stars to the restaurants and restaurant staff at Beaches Negril!
2. Entertainment – If you have young children, ensure you catch the Sesame Street shows. They are great and include songs that adults are familiar with. They start promptly at 7, so plan to get there at 6:45 to get a drink and a good seat. Also, out of the three Beaches properties I have been to, this is the only one where Kids Camp staff would come out during the show and hand out “freebies” to the kids. One night it was an Elmo party favor – blow thing, and one night it was an Oscar stuffed animal. This was awesome! The kids love it! We were very pleased. First time this happened. We had fun playing Family Feud and movie trivia. O’ Shane – you lived up to my expectations from reading about you on trip advisor. Thanks for the great orientation – your orientation is the first one I have been to that started right on time. Thanks for all the information you provided throughout our stay. Juliene – our daughter still calls you her friend. She loved dancing with you. We loved the parade and Jamaica day. Lots of good info about Bob Marley and Jamaica’s history.
3. Red Lane Spa – by far the best of all the properties I have been too. Tanya – you do a wonderful job managing the spa. The spa was spotless. Very quiet and relaxing. I had two massages. Both experiences were consistent… I knew what to expect which shows the place is managed very well (good job Tanya). If you want to schedule a treatment, speak to Tanya, she is very knowledgeable, will let you know the day’s special, and answer any questions you have about services offered. You are not pressured here into purchasing products like I have been at other Sandals/Beaches properties. They will suggest some products here for you but not pressure you into anything which is what I would expect from a top class spa. Definitely check it out; you won’t be disappointed.
4. Sesame Street activities – awesome. My daughter loved bird watching with big bird, Abby’s tea party, exploring with Grover (got to learn the names of flowers around the property), Rock N Roll with Elmo, and Elmo’s Birthday party. All were great. All had a lesson, fun activity, and character meet n greets to go along with them. Another note – the have a miniature golf course here which is really cool. It is kind of hidden. You get the clubs in the xbox room.
5. Sesame Street character breakfast – very reasonable pricing. If your children like the characters, make a reservation. Each character visits each table, so you will get your photos with all characters. After breakfast all the characters come out for a dance party which is a lot of fun. You also get a nice small gift
6. Fitness Center – best of all the properties. There is one room for weights and one room for cardio. Plenty of equipment, clean towels and water. Top notch. Love the Life Fitness Equipment.
7. Beach – beautiful. Our daughter enjoyed hunting for seashells each day. There are starfish you can see in the surf. The only annoying thing is there are a lot of people selling stuff on the beach. You can’t walk 10 feet without someone asking you to buy something. And the guy who drives the jet ski up and down the beach right outside of the swimming area will ask you each day if you want to take the jet ski out. It is loud and stinks – not what you want in such a nice place.
8. Rooms – ours was clean and serviced twice a day without issue. The fridge was restocked daily. There is a digital safe in the room – so no worries about where to store your valuable stuff.
A note on the insects… they are really bad here. This is really the only Sandals/Beaches location I have been to where I have gotten bitten. I never take bug spray because even when most people need it, I don’t, but I did get bitten here. Be sure you bring Bug Spray – even if you usually don’t get bit. And some hydrocortisone cream for if you do get bit. If you have those two items, you will be okay.
All in all, a great vacation. Our daughter had a blast and a week later, is still saying she misses Elmo. She made some great friends there! The guests who stayed there at the same time we did were great! I am still one of Sandals/Beaches biggest cheerleaders. I highly recommend Beaches Negril. If you ask me of the three I have been to, I would recommend Beaches Negril. My best advice, is know your vacation will not be perfect – as the couple of incidents we had above, but know it will be great and you will make plenty of memories to take home! If you come with that expectation, you won’t be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Located on the widest stretch of Negril's seven mile white sand beach•Stay at one, play at two with full exchange privileges with Beaches Sandy Bay including a choice of 11 dining options•“Pirates Island” Water Theme Park with 4 slides, meandering “lazy” river and splash deck•Caribbean Adventure with Sesame Street themed activities with daily character appearances, parades and stage shows•Kids Kamp & Nursery with wide range of supervised activities•Interactive Teens Program with “Trench Town” Teen's Center and Teens' Coordinator to coordinate teen activities•Expansive Two & Three Bedroom Butler serviced suites•Supervised Xbox® Play Lounge with flat screen plasma TV's & Xbox® 360 game consoles•Beaches Resorts were voted “World's Leading Family All-Inclusive 14 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences•Six Star Diamond Award, Beaches Resorts – Keeping it Green•EarthCheck Platinum Certified ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Unique Vacations Inc, TravelUp, Otel, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Beaches Negril Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Negril Hotel Negril
- Beaches Hotel Negril
- Negril Beaches Hotel