“Overall great trip - few pieces of advice”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Myself, my husband, and our 4 year old daughter stayed at Beaches Negril the first week in September. To level set, I have stayed at six separate Sandals locations and this was our third Beaches location. Overall the vacation was great. There were two things that happened on this trip that have never happened to us on a Sandals/Beaches trip before, so I feel them worth mentioning:
1. In the lazy river, you have the option to ride a tube or wear a life jacket. Our daughter preferred the life jacket so she could feel like she was swimming. They had a few kid sized life jackets there; my daughter preferred the smallest one because it fit the best. On the second day of our stay, we went to put the same life jacket on our daughter and the watersports lady working the lazy river told us “that life jacket is for babies, use this one”… the one she handed us was obviously for older children. So she gave our child the oversized life jacket and another kid behind us the one my daughter needed. Half way around the lazy river, our daughter starts crying and screaming because the life jacket is coming up to her ears, she can’t see, much less swim. My Husband nicely asks the watersports’ lady for the smaller life jacket and she starts arguing with him. Saying that the life jacket was for babies and she has to use the bigger one. My Husband read the weight requirements on the smallest life jacket and it clearly said for children up to 23KG, which our daughter is 20KG. She still argued with him. My Husband said “can’t you see her crying”. The watersports’ lady seemed not to care that our daughter was obviously miserable. I then announced that I was going to go find the watersports’ manager and started to get out of the river, and then the watersports’ lady said she will give us the smaller life jacket when the other person returned it. Finally, the other person returned it and my daughter was happy again. I must say, I was beyond disappointed with this. In all my trips to Sandals/Beaches, I have NEVER had to argue with an employee and feel like I needed to go talk to their manager. HUGE disappointment. Luckily, the rest of the watersports staff was great. The lady who worked the top of the waterslides was GREAT and ensured everyone had a safe trip down the waterslides. The guys on the beach were excellent! They made sure everyone safely got to participate in the activities they were interested in. The glass bottom boat ride was great! The watersports staff was very patient pointing out the wildlife. I recommend going more than once during your stay! We saw a sea turtle, rays, colorful fish, sand dollars, and starfish.
2. One night we had just fallen asleep around 11pm when LOUD music started playing from the room next door. I knew a family had been in that room earlier in the week, but they had checked out. I knew no one else had checked into that room. I called the front desk and told them the music from that room was too loud and could they please send someone. The first person I got on the phone did nothing and my Husband had to go over there. A guy answered the door and he turned down the music, but it was still too loud to sleep. So, I called the front desk again and got a different person. This person was much more helpful. He checked the hotel records, and told me no one should be in that room. I told him there most certainly was someone in that room and they shouldn’t be, so could he please send someone. This time I heard the phone in the other room ring, so I know they were trying to contact the person in the room. The person in the room did not answer. They did send someone this time, the person left, and the noise stopped. The person I had spoken with (the second person) called me back to make sure everything was okay. This was great customer service. Should have just happened with the first person I spoke with. I am glad it was resolved with the second call. Not sure how someone who did not belong got into that room. Hopefully management figured it out and closed that gap.
Both of these issues weren’t detrimental to our vacation. And, eventually they were resolved. They were impactful enough that I thought to mention them here because Beaches management needs to be aware of what is going on.
Now, to the good things:
1. The restaurants – definitely the VERY BEST service we have received at any Sandals/Beaches location. The staff in all the restaurants were excellent. A shout out to Dameon at Seville – you have a beautiful smile and my daughter loved how you would carry things on your head! You provided excellent service! The staff at Kimono’s were amazing. Definitely make a reservation and eat at Kimono’s. The staff consists of some great singers who will definitely entertain. Plus the food was great. My husband and I are both vegetarian, which can sometimes present a problem. Not here. There is a culinary desk in the “great room”. Each morning after breakfast, I would stop by and tell the person manning the desk which restaurant we would like to eat in and what time… also if I had requests for what we wanted for dinner she would write them down. At dinner time, we would arrive at the restaurant and our food would be ready for us. This is the first Sandals/Beaches location where we have had this luxury. It was awesome. To the chef at Stewfish who made us the vegan steak – it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The spring rolls at Kimono’s were excellent too. The tiramisu at Seville is delicious! The guys who worked the grill were great. Try the Jamaican patties!!! TIP – If anyone in your party has any sort of dietary needs – be sure to visit the culinary desk in the morning and they will take care of it for you. You do need to have an idea of where you want to eat and what time. I do want to reiterate here that most of my biggest complaints of the other Sandals/Beaches properties is how long you have to wait for food/drinks… not at all an issue here. The staff was top notch and we hardly had to wait for anything! Five stars to the restaurants and restaurant staff at Beaches Negril!
2. Entertainment – If you have young children, ensure you catch the Sesame Street shows. They are great and include songs that adults are familiar with. They start promptly at 7, so plan to get there at 6:45 to get a drink and a good seat. Also, out of the three Beaches properties I have been to, this is the only one where Kids Camp staff would come out during the show and hand out “freebies” to the kids. One night it was an Elmo party favor – blow thing, and one night it was an Oscar stuffed animal. This was awesome! The kids love it! We were very pleased. First time this happened. We had fun playing Family Feud and movie trivia. O’ Shane – you lived up to my expectations from reading about you on trip advisor. Thanks for the great orientation – your orientation is the first one I have been to that started right on time. Thanks for all the information you provided throughout our stay. Juliene – our daughter still calls you her friend. She loved dancing with you. We loved the parade and Jamaica day. Lots of good info about Bob Marley and Jamaica’s history.
3. Red Lane Spa – by far the best of all the properties I have been too. Tanya – you do a wonderful job managing the spa. The spa was spotless. Very quiet and relaxing. I had two massages. Both experiences were consistent… I knew what to expect which shows the place is managed very well (good job Tanya). If you want to schedule a treatment, speak to Tanya, she is very knowledgeable, will let you know the day’s special, and answer any questions you have about services offered. You are not pressured here into purchasing products like I have been at other Sandals/Beaches properties. They will suggest some products here for you but not pressure you into anything which is what I would expect from a top class spa. Definitely check it out; you won’t be disappointed.
4. Sesame Street activities – awesome. My daughter loved bird watching with big bird, Abby’s tea party, exploring with Grover (got to learn the names of flowers around the property), Rock N Roll with Elmo, and Elmo’s Birthday party. All were great. All had a lesson, fun activity, and character meet n greets to go along with them. Another note – the have a miniature golf course here which is really cool. It is kind of hidden. You get the clubs in the xbox room.
5. Sesame Street character breakfast – very reasonable pricing. If your children like the characters, make a reservation. Each character visits each table, so you will get your photos with all characters. After breakfast all the characters come out for a dance party which is a lot of fun. You also get a nice small gift
6. Fitness Center – best of all the properties. There is one room for weights and one room for cardio. Plenty of equipment, clean towels and water. Top notch. Love the Life Fitness Equipment.
7. Beach – beautiful. Our daughter enjoyed hunting for seashells each day. There are starfish you can see in the surf. The only annoying thing is there are a lot of people selling stuff on the beach. You can’t walk 10 feet without someone asking you to buy something. And the guy who drives the jet ski up and down the beach right outside of the swimming area will ask you each day if you want to take the jet ski out. It is loud and stinks – not what you want in such a nice place.
8. Rooms – ours was clean and serviced twice a day without issue. The fridge was restocked daily. There is a digital safe in the room – so no worries about where to store your valuable stuff.
A note on the insects… they are really bad here. This is really the only Sandals/Beaches location I have been to where I have gotten bitten. I never take bug spray because even when most people need it, I don’t, but I did get bitten here. Be sure you bring Bug Spray – even if you usually don’t get bit. And some hydrocortisone cream for if you do get bit. If you have those two items, you will be okay.

All in all, a great vacation. Our daughter had a blast and a week later, is still saying she misses Elmo. She made some great friends there! The guests who stayed there at the same time we did were great! I am still one of Sandals/Beaches biggest cheerleaders. I highly recommend Beaches Negril. If you ask me of the three I have been to, I would recommend Beaches Negril. My best advice, is know your vacation will not be perfect – as the couple of incidents we had above, but know it will be great and you will make plenty of memories to take home! If you come with that expectation, you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor of a building near watersports. Awesome sunset view each night.
8  Thank blondestargirl

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were married at Beaches Negril in 1998. We have continued to go back yearly for several years. We have bounced around from local hotels in Negril, but will never have the love for any resort other than Beaches. Over the years, there have been some changes, but the atmosphere, beauty and the friendliness has not changed. We have made wonderful friends with many employees over the years and the ones that still work there are always great when we return.

What brings us back? There are many factors, but i think the friendliness and sense of comfort to familiarity is number one. We love the openess of the resort grounds, the space that seperates one end from the other, the isolated areas near the beach under the palm trees and most importantly, the fact that you are never boarded from sunrise to sunset. We have stayed there as a couple several times and stayed as a family several times. In either scenario, there are options and advantages to both.

Staying as a family, the kids always have something to do. Whether it be the beach which is huge, the pools which are huge, the water slides, the Lazy River, the Xbox Game Garage, the Fun Pals or the daily activities...the kids will be occupied. My kids are picky (as many) with food. There is no way your children can't find something to eat at The Mill for breakfast: eggs, cereal, french toast, pancakes, fruits, bacon, sausage, yogart, various juices and pasteries. My kids love the fact at lunch time they can grab a personalized pizza at Dino's or go to the Grill and get some Chicken and fries...they got it all. Dinner at The Mill is awesome as well with many choices buffet style. I think my kids made multiple trips for new plates of food each night. The entertainment at night at The Big Top Theatre always had family themed entertainment. The Entertainment staff, many who are the Fun Pals are so talented with the acts they perform. Every night is different with their acts and they do a good job of engageing and including all the guests.

When we stayed there as a couple, we couldn't have been happier. Same thoughts apply for food choices. To us, dining at The Seville allowed us to eat with more elegance with superb service. Kimono's takes reservations and that made us feel more like date night. For the more experienced drinkers, the bartenders are awesome. My glass was never empty and they never poured a bad mix ratio. As a workout nut, their Fitness Center had everything I needed with weights, machines and cardio equipment...A/C was a plus. We also loved the snorkeling trips out to the reefs. Nice change of pace and various times to sign up for a trip. The Red Lane Spa really impressed my wife..the price was a little steep, but she deserved some quality, relaxing time.

Regarding room choices, we have stayed in several different styles. The only room I didn't like was the Deluxe..too small for a family of four (IMO). Over the many trips to Beaches, we have never had a problem with a room whether it was cleanliness, house-keeping or comfort. The rooms have a wall safe that can hold your personal small items and travel documents. The balconies are small, but I don't think we used them other than first thing in the morning to open up the doors to get some fresh air. The Savannah Block rooms are nested in the middle of the resort and where we have always stayed...perfect location if you can request it when you arrive.

Throught the day, their Photo Staff takes pictures of everyone. Should you choose to buy prints anytime at the Photo Center. I thought the prices were way to much, but sometimes someone else capatures a moment you just have to have. The more pictures you buy the better the price break, but still pricey. We scheduled a photographer to take sunset family pictures...they must have taken 35 pictures of which we purchased 10. Very pleased with the quality, but I think I paid $95...oh well.

The Gift Shop/Store has you typical tourist items, but also has your personal necessities should you forget something at home. Over the years we have bought sunscreen, a swim suite, cigars, t-shirts, asprin, a book, some floatation raft, alcohol and spices. We know we can go into town and get the same stuff cheaper, but I'm on vacation and don't want to pay for a cab ride. Its only an option, but we have forgotten or ran out of sunscreen every year that the shop was a nice backup plan.

During all our trips, we have never had a bad experience. We are pretty easy going, but as an inpatient person nothing ever was ever so bad that i needed to freak out. Yes, things are slower in Jamaica, but I knew that going there. On occassions, maybe it took too long to get a drink or maybe my chicken wasn't grilled in under 10 minutes...but when it arrived, it was delivered with a smile. All the employees work real hard and my hat is off to them. I feel the bartenders have one of the hardest jobs. Guests are constantly asking for the blended drinks, kids want non-alcoholic blended drinks and then you got everyone ordering everything in between. I have a great appreciation for how in control and calm the bartenders are.

Over the years, time has changed and some great employees have come and gone, but we can say the "Vibe" has remained the same. Now traveling as a family of four with a 12yr old and an 8yr old we know we can have the best of two worlds. We can have fun as a family, while still getting some alone time as a couple. That is why we have come back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ChicagoDean1
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We loved our vacation at Beaches. The kids were 17 and 19 so I knew they would spend most of the time doing water sports , going to the gym and dining with us. Its really geared towards 17 and younger kids and theres plenty of options for them. We had an awesome time bonding together. There was agroup of kids (various ages) that we all hang out with. Age didnt even matter. We all met new people each day by getting involved with volleyball. The suites were immaculate! The service and courtesy were remarkable. You truly were treated as a very specially valued guest. All of the staff go above and beyond for you. Our most memorable part that we will truly miss is the friendship and fun we had with 3 special staff members. We were seeked out each day by Oshane Ferguson and Fasha from the entertainment staff . Not only to include us and make us part of the days events but as true people to either have breakfast or dinner with. They really took a sincere interest and truly are great at their job. Who wouldnt want to get paid for "having fun". If you go, you have to find Marlon from the bar and he will surely take care of you . Please remind him of the family that requested Kamikasi's. we drove him crazy to make that!! Fasha and Oshane had breakfast with us on the morning we left and we honestly had tears in our eyes. That Fasha called me mom and I would have her come to USA and stay with us if I could. I had a very special place in my heart for that girl. A true asset to this resort. We will always remember the beauty of the beaches and the friendship from Oshane, Fasha and Marlon.xoxox If they ever come to NYC I hope they look us up!

Room Tip: The rooms in the santa cruz section were ocean view and ideally located for water sports, the gym a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I love this resort! I have been to many countries and many resorts and NO ONE has ever treated me as wonderfully as this place. They treat you as if your a mufti-millionaire and go out of their way to serve you like your a super-star. That's why I keep going back. Other places may be in prettier locations, but he service is of NO COMPARISON. Everything about this place is great from the Customer Service to the Entertainment to the food. There is something for children (yes bring your kids because there is onsite activities for them while you enjoy the beach and the pool). Bring your teens because their are things for them to include a nightly disco until about 10:45pm.

The resort has made several changes over the years, some good and some not so good, but nothing to keep me from returning again :). This year I brought a family member who is in love with the place and am already lining up others to come with me in 2013.

I especially appreciate the efforts of one of the entertainment staff members "Oshane Ferguson". He is very diligent and ensures that guests are entertained, happy and enjoy their stay. I also appreciate the efforts of the training Bartender "Sasha-Gay" and bartender "Opal" they did a great job! I don't remember my Cabana girl's name but she also was very helpful. The concierge staff provided me with excellent service (as always), to include the two ladies that work there (I don't recall their names - but wish that I could because they are EXCEPTIONAL) and Ricardo.

My only complaint is that my refrigerator was not 'restocked' with "water" each day. I had to make special requests just to get water bottles. This isn't typical of them. ON my previous 3 stays, they ensured that my water was stocked.

Keep up the great work Beaches!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank TheBillionairess
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My stay at this resort was memorable. My family had a blast coming here specially my 13 month son. The staff were professional and love to help anytime we needed them. The only issue that we had was that one could hear noises outside during the middle of the night. I do undesrtand that this was a family resort but we had our 13 month son that woke up because of the noises. (if they could only put new windows in the brathrooms since it was next to hall where people walked by) But overall I never had any other problems.
I want to also review some of the people in this resort. Oshane from entertaiment was a great help on letting us know what was going on everyday during our vacation. Jermaine from entertaiment, if you are reading this you made my son very happy. Thank you for the fun contests and great time. Juliene was great with my son Spencer. He misses you all !!! The food was great too. I want to applude Jermaine from Tokio,Japan at Kimonos , one of the best hibachi dinners I had. Kerisha, made my mornings very delighful at the Stewfish restaurant. Thank you for giving my son your fullest attention and great service. Wiston at the burgers&fries place was great. He made jamaican specials every day and saved some cocobreads for us. And finally Antwane from the fotoshop. Thank you for giving us your patience on taking pictures and giving us great tips on how to use a camera.
I have already mentioned to my friends that this place is great for the whole family.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Beaches Negril is a fantastic holiday location. We went with 6 of us (all over 13) and all had a wonderful time. the staff are so friendly and helpful. The rooms are excellent and there is one of the best hotel gyms we have ever seen.The meals are like eating out all the time, may be all inclusive but besides the main buffet there is a seafood, Japanese, Mexican and Italian. A La carte breakfast on the beach is a must. The entertainment team make a big effort and are lovely, especially Oshane Ferguson. The steel drum band were good, rest of the shows were fun but not cruise ship quality so don't be disappointed !
We were lucky in August it didn't rain much, but when it did there wasn't a lot to do, did suggest they should have DVD players and films to hire in the rooms as well as the x-boxes in case of more rain. Need to watch out for the trips though these are very expensive from the hotel and they have a monopoly on everything including taxis which charge a minimum of $20 per person (yes not per taxi) to take you anywhere (but it is almost like a private chauffeur service for the time you have them). We did get out and negotiated our own deal to a hotel which saved us well over $350 on what the hotel wanted for 6 of us. Other thing to note is that everyone only want to be paid in US dollars so don't take any other currency. Also beware the hotel will only give you Jamaican dollars that no-one wants and charge 10% to change, to get to town to a bank costs $20 per person !

Last thing to watch are the mosquitoes, several of our party got bitten a lot and one had to go to the doctor ($450). You need very strong spray at all times with Deet.

Free watersports are excellent, we did glass bottomed boat, pedalos, snorkelling, water ski-ing and banana boat all for nothing.

Overall a wonderful holiday, the beach is just like the brochures and the people are just like you imagine.

Room Tip: Double rooms have king size bed, family rooms have 2 doubles. Rooms in the middle can be near the di...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank shireen_higgins1
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This review will give thanks and appreciation not only to Beaches Negril, but to the Beaches/Sandals family as a whole. Our vacation was a complete Oddysey, and I have to say that there were moments en route where I had doubts that we would have any vacation at all. Please excuse the ranting I display over American Airlines; it is necessary in order for you to appreciate how much Beaches Negril had to overcome to make our stay enjoyable.

We had a 5:30 Am flight from OHare to a connection in Miami to start our trip, or at least it was supposed to be a 5:30 Am flight. the excuses offered were- in order: "one of our flight attendants is missing"; "Our flight crew has not arrived"; "We need to change planes" (I should mention that the plane never was changed outside our gate); "The first officer is driving from Peoria and will arrive at 6:15". Seven AM we still had not departed, although we were allowed to board and sit in confining seats for more than an hour. Our concerns over our connecting flight were answered positively that the connection would wait for us since there were more than 30 people on board with the same connection, and that we would arrive in Miami in time regardless since it was a 2 hour, 30 minute flight. However, the flight took more than 3 hours without any course changes, and when we arrived we found that our connection to Montego Bay had left 4 minutes earlier... right on schedule. We discovered this when the gate attendant in Miami instructed us to report o gate D30... which coincidentally is adjacent to the rebooking desk.We were there informed that American's policy is to never hold flights due to domino effect (makes sense; wish they had been straightforward in Chicago so we could have made other arrangements). After waiting in line for thirty minutes, we were informed that we could take another flight the following morning, but that the next flight to Montego Bay that afternoon was fully booked and had a long standby list. The couple behind us went to the next available agent in the meantime and were told to step aside in favor of the person behind them since they had not waited for the agent to call them forward (that's really going to diffuse an angry traveller). After some shuffling we were told that we could fly to Kingston, except that they were having difficulty arranging a transfer from there to our destination. Hearing this I took matters into my own hands and called beaches to make the transfer arrangements, and was politely attended to... problem solved, or so we thought.

The AA agent told us our luggage would follow us wherever we went, so we carted off to Gate D41 for a flight to Kingston... where we were put on Standby. We got the last 4 seats available, and were informed that they could not wait for our luggage to be transferred. The manager on duty for AA in Miami told us to "Take it or leave it." 2 hours later we were in Kingston, without our luggage, but the AA representative there "Kevin" was extremely helpful, got our luggage out of Miami on the next flight to Montego Bay (which we could not board) and told us we needed to collect it in person due to customs. Kevin even called us at the resort the next day to ensure we got our luggage and arrived okay.

Enter Beaches again, and we were attended to very graciously, and were given a transfer to Montego Bay. The drive lasted 3.5 hours plus a stop for dinner at a wonderful cliff-side restaurant halfway between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios (can't remember the name, but it was at Christopher Columbus Park)... great jerk chicken. Upon arriving at Montego Bay airport, I went through the customs rigors for ninety minutes to collect our belongings, and the Beaches transfer took us on to the resort. This transfer was not free, costing us $100, but I am holding AA accountable for this, since the whole mess was their doing (but I'm not holding my breath). We arrived at the resort by 11 PM. total travel time for the day was 21 hours. I have to say our 2 boys (ages 4 & 14) were troopers through the whole ordeal.

Once on the resort we had very little to complain about. There was a slight mix-up on our booking that would require us to change rooms in the middle of the stay, but this was worked out to our mutual satisfaction and we were able to stay right where we were. Our older boy achieved his Jr. Open Water certification at the dive shop, and the scuba team as a whole was fantastic (Thanks Charles, Craig, and Samuel... not to mention Rosemary!). Our 4 year old spent time everyday with his favorite Sesame Street characters, and the crew at Kimonos was extremely entertaining and fun-loving. Julene and her entertainment staff were top-notch in there efforts to keep the place jumping all day, and our little one gained new confidence in himself, stepping forward at lunchtime with comments like "you get the food and I'll get the drinks"... and he did! He also swam underwater for the first time, and discovered the obscure sport of sandcrab hole hunting on the beach. All told, the only thing we had to complain about were the mosquitoes, but there wasn't a whole lot to be done about that except keep spraying ourselves.

Of course all good things must come to an end, but we had no idea how many bad things awaited, even though we should have. Upon flying to Miami, we found our flight with AA to Chicago was delayed: the excuses we heard were- in order: "The inbound flight with your plane has been delayed (even though it was showing on time on the schedule board)"; the inbound plane was on an international flight from Bolivia and must be disinfected before boarding (the plane arrived at our gate fully loaded with passengers)"; "We have a stalled plane behind us and can;t leave the gate"; "we have a red light on our anti-skidding brakes and must repair"; "we've repaired the plane and checked on all other systems; that moisture you see dripping from the ceiling is condensation from the AC"; We've spent a lot of fuel sitting on the tarmac and must refuel"; "there are some weather systems between Miami and Chicago and we have to devise a new flight path." Our arrival in Chicago was 8 hours late. Total travel time home was 18 hours.

I will always consider Beaches/Sandals for my vacation destinations; I will never again use American Airlines to get there.

Room Tip: This resort has a wonderful view of Caribbean sunsets over the water; go for a room with a west view...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
The Cliff Hotel
#3 of 80 in Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!